• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type disadvantages/advantages

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
Sometimes type advantages make sense (such as water beating fire) but some make no sense (eg fighting beating dark?) Discuss the probable and sensible reasons.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
That's actually a good question. The way I see it is that Dark type Pokemon are different than the definition dark we got in the real world and it's got disadvantages. I don't really got a good theory to your question.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
In all honesty, every type advantage and disadvantage makes sense when you give it some though. Now if only they were a tad more balanced...oh well.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
The Fighting-type is clean, honorable combat. The Dark-type ("Evil-type" in Japan) is the very opposite. Honorable and clean defeats underhanded and dirty.
i don't understand why the evil type is super effective to ghosts, there are many ghosts with evil pokédex entries. Evil beats evil

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
i don't understand why the evil type is super effective to ghosts, there are many ghosts with evil pokédex entries. Evil beats evil

Are they evil because they're intentionally trying to be evil, or are they evil because you don't like their inborn nature and thus consider it evil based on how human society has defined evil?

Dark types are intentionally evil. Ghost types are not. I mean, look at the Haunter episode of the first season of the Anime. In fact, many of the ghost episodes (that I've seen, anyway), show that the ghost Pokemon are actually fairly good-natured.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
GHOST seems more Evil than DARK. I guess Ghost means spiritual and the spirit CAN be tainted by Evil.

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
Ghosts aren't inherently evil... I think most people who believe in ghosts would even admit that they aren't usually evil. So I think it makes sense that the evil-type (dark) taints spirits and is therefore super-effective.

abdulmuhsee

The type advantages are here to stay; it's too late to change them whether they make sense or not.

Personally, I always felt that steel should be weak to electric and resistant to fighting.

1. Steel conducts electricity.

2. Have you ever tried to karate chop a steel wall? It's not super-effective.

Lucario Fan

I can't understand why Ice-type moves are not very effective on Water-type Pokemon and Flying-type moves super-effective against Fighting-type Pokemon.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Ice being not very effective on water does sound strange, considering ice freezes water, but then again, I've heard of salmon being very cold resistant, and marine mammals' blubber protecting them from the cold, so it kind of makes sense for certain pokémon. But it still doesn't make much sense when something like poliwag has less problem with getting hit with a blizzard. The designers were probably thinking that if water resists water, water resists solid water. Fire's resistance to ice is also nonsensical when you think about it too hard. On the surface, fire would have advantage against ice because it would melt the ice, but melting ice into water would only make an ice attack as effective against a fire pokémon as a regular water attack. The fire type can't be vaporizing the ice, or else it would be able to vaporize the water more easily.

As for dark and ghost, I kind of feel like some weaknesses and resistances were made just to balance the game. Before there was a dark type, gengar needed to be poison type just to keep it from being broken beyond belief. When the dark type was invented, and was the ghost type's weakness, pure ghost types such as misdreavus could be made, so it seems to me as if dark was kind of made to clip the ghost type's wings a bit. Rock seems to be in a similar situation to me. How often do plants easily grow on rocks? It seems to me that the designers gave rock a weakness to grass to deliberately make the pokémon of the first gym doubly weak to two of the starters to make the game easier. Sure sometimes you see plants popping out of cement, but that's a sign that they're really tough plants, so I figure it's more game strategy than logic.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Flying-type moves super-effective against Fighting-type Pokemon.

You with no weapons vs. an angry condor. Who's stuck to the ground with only their fists and who's able to fly around and swoop down to attack?

abdulmuhsee

Ice being not very effective on water does sound strange, considering ice freezes water.

Then again, by that logic, water should also be weak to fire, since heat evaporates water. And even if ice freezes water (or more accurately, cold temperature causes water to turn into ice), haven't you run water over an ice-cube before? A blast of hydro-pump at room temperature would easily melt a block of ice. And if ice was shot at a blaze, the fire would melt it, effectively turning it into water.

So really, there should be a three-way super-effective tie between fire, water, and ice; each one could easily be weak to the others.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Dragon vs Dragon makes sense I guess BUT how does Bug beat Spiritual/Brain Psychic and EVIL DARK?

Flying makes sense if the Fighting type cannot hit. I guess the flying type can take minimal damage ascending from their attacks and fighting types are weak to aerial attacks?

Why can't Ghost resists Ice? It kinda of makes sense since Ghostly presence often have a cold feeling in them..... or so I have heard.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Dragon vs Dragon makes sense I guess BUT how does Bug beat Spiritual/Brain Psychic and EVIL DARK?

Bug > Psychic: Bugs are one of the three most common phobias.

Bug > Dark: Bugs have hive minds and wouldn't be caught off guard by the Dark-type's cheap tactics.

Why can't Ghost resists Ice? It kinda of makes sense since Ghostly presence often have a cold feeling in them..... or so I have heard.

Because that trait doesn't appear in all ghost stories.

BCVM22

BUT how does Bug beat Spiritual/Brain Psychic and EVIL DARK?

Psychic attacks take concentration. Bugs buzz, bite, skitter and chirp, disrupting that concentration. Also they needed something to counter Psychic before Dark, and making the weakest type it was probably someone's laugh for the day.

I guess the flying type can take minimal damage ascending from their attacks and fighting types are weak to aerial attacks?

First rule of combat is always seek the high ground. A Flying-type can hover, dive, attack and retreat to a safe height.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Bug > Psychic: Bugs are one of the three most common phobias.

Bug > Dark: Bugs have hive minds and wouldn't be caught off guard by the Dark-type's cheap tactics.

Because that trait doesn't appear in all ghost stories.

Really? I guess that is correct. Thanks.
Anyway I heard Ghost often reduce the temperature in an area but that's probably fake.

Psychic attacks take concentration. Bugs buzz, bite, skitter and chirp, disrupting that concentration. Also they needed something to counter Psychic before Dark, and making the weakest type it was probably someone's laugh for the day.

First rule of combat is always seek the high ground. A Flying-type can hover, dive, attack and retreat to a safe height.

I see now thanks.

WingBlast

Poke-holic
Can someone tell me why is poison weak to ground and psychic? and also why is grass the only type weak to poison>? don't we use herbal remedies to cure poison? I realize that plants can be poisoned, but so are bodies of waters, dragons if the existed and bugs...etc! and how come Flying is not super-effective against ground?!! thanks ^__^