• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type disadvantages/advantages

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
grass grows in the ground, therfore it's "grounded" and lightning only strikes tall things

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
grass grows in the ground, therfore it's "grounded" and lightning only strikes tall things

That's actually not true. Lightning can strike pretty much everywhere.

Actually, in that sense, lightning could fry trees, too. And trees are incorporated into the Grass type, too.

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
Ground absorbs electricity which makes sense. Electricity gets beaten by Ground how?
Poison should definely resists or at least beat Water and Fighting types.

Steel should beat Poison and Dragon types. Steel is very powerful and needs much more offensive coverage.

I always thought Fire should resist Poison......

I also believe Bug should resist Psychic and Dark.

Normal should resist Dragon, Psychic and Dark but be weak to Steel or Poison.

Ground should resist Bug and Steel.

I was trying to make a Pokemon game (still barely in the making.) with these type advantages and disadvantages but I can't make sense out of them.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Can anyone tell me why normal is weak to fighting?

Pit an average person who doesn't work out and who doesn't have any fighting skills against a professional boxer; you'll see.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Ground absorbs electricity which makes sense. Electricity gets beaten by Ground how?

It's hard to really think of sensible weaknesses to types like electricity and poison because you can't really "hurt" electricity and poison per se. Electricity needed a defensive weakness, so I guess the designers just went with the type that had a semi-sensible advantage.

Steel should beat Poison and Dragon types. Steel is very powerful and needs much more offensive coverage.
I could actually see steel beating dragon, it sounds like something that would work. Though I'm not sure how readily European folklore tropes would register with the Japanese designers, and besides, they probably didn't want the dragon type to have a ton of weaknesses. Though if dark was introduced to be a weakness for the other overpowered type, ghost, I don't see why the other new type couldn't have been introduced as a dragon weakness. But dragon type moves without fixed damage did help clip the dragons' wings a little.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

I understand Steel beating Poison (Poison having no effect on Steel justifies such a thought). But Steel against Dragon?

I always thought Fire should resist Poison......

I also believe Bug should resist Psychic and Dark.

Normal should resist Dragon, Psychic and Dark but be weak to Steel or Poison.

Ground should resist Bug and Steel.

I don't get the reasons behind these...

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'd imagine G.shock was thinking of knights in shining armour slaying dragons with steel swords. Like I said before, it's possible this isn't something that would readily register with Japanese game designers. Though there are some pokémon that do look like Western dragons.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I'd imagine G.shock was thinking of knights in shining armour slaying dragons with steel swords. Like I said before, it's possible this isn't something that would readily register with Japanese game designers. Though there are some pokémon that do look like Western dragons.

Personally, I'd imagine that less as Steel but more like the general medieval atmosphere. After all, you can use bows and arrows to defeat a dragon just like you can use a sword.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Personally, I'd imagine that less as Steel but more like the general medieval atmosphere. After all, you can use bows and arrows to defeat a dragon just like you can use a sword.

I agree. There are actually many things that can kill a dragon like you implied. The eyes and soft belly of the western dragon are where it's most vulnerable; as long as you can pierce the belly, then it will fall. Also I believe there are many instances in stories where a dragon was slain by a sword but not before being enchanted with magic. However, only Sleeping Beauty comes to my mind at the moment.

What's the connection with dragon and ice though?

Last edited:

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
I always wondered why psychic is strong to fighting.
I also think that psychic should be super-effective against ghost because psychics can ward off spirits, right?

Groundedshock

Effective on ground
I understand Steel beating Poison (Poison having no effect on Steel justifies such a thought). But Steel against Dragon?

I don't get the reasons behind these...

I was just throwing ideas for types that need more resistances.

Yeah i was thinking steel beats dragon since swords slice dragon's scales.

Normal was random ideas for resistances for them. Yeah an average joe beating a dragon, evil and an intelligent guy does not make sesne.

I think fire has an effect on poison in chemistry. I have to research that...

Last edited:

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Dragons are reptiles; cold-blooded.

Wouldn't they just adapt to the extremely cold temperatures? Or are most reptiles unable to withstand such cold temperatures?
This is why I'm not going to major in biology when I'm in college.

BCVM22

Wouldn't they just adapt to the extremely cold temperatures? Or are most reptiles unable to withstand such cold temperatures?

Cold-blooded means that they can't regulate their internal body temperature, like warm-blooded animals can. This is why reptiles generally are native to more temperate climates and why domesticated reptiles need a heat lamp or something similar.

Exposing certain cold-blooded animals, like many species of reptile, to cold temperatures slows down their metabolism to the point of sluggishness or even death if the temperatures are low enough and the exposure long enough.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Cold-blooded means that they can't regulate their internal body temperature, like warm-blooded animals can. This is why reptiles generally are native to more temperate climates and why domesticated reptiles need a heat lamp or something similar.

Exposing certain cold-blooded animals, like many species of reptile, to cold temperatures slows down their metabolism to the point of sluggishness or even death if the temperatures are low enough and the exposure long enough.

Ah, okay. I understood temperatures close to -273C, but not -4C or something.

Why is Flying not very effective against Electric? And no, electricity being able to zap birds is reasoning for the other way around.