• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Type disadvantages/advantages

Ver-mont

Wait a second... Ground being super effective against Steel? Fire burns it, whereas Fighting dents it, but Ground... ground shakes demolish steel girders and beams and such that buildings are made out of?

Reasonable. Or maybe they made it so because metals come from earth, they're part of it.

I can't really think of a good explanation for this.

Gyro Ball isn't even Special, while we're at it.

Oh, that's true. My mistake.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

Ver-mont

Eh, I'll take it. Ghosts are effectively just physical representations of what's in the mind anyway, and Ghost is super effective against Psychic.

And the fear of ghosts is a common phobia, so it's reasonable for it to be super effective against the type that represents the mind (just like the fear of bugs).

Mr.FusRoDah

Because Ghost needs another weakness other than itself.

Would any other option make sense?

Because irl paranormal research, spirits often percieved as the spirits of the dead are said to be a lot weaker than the spirits of openly inhuman entities, despite the fact that neither one were ever human. In other words, a demon is stronger than a spectre proclaiming itself as a dead person, likewise dark pokemon are the superior of ghost-types. Likewise, often psychic mediums often try to summon the spirits of the dead, and sometimes get a demonic entity who doesn't disguise themselves as a subjugated dead man's ghost, and these demonic spirits cannot be grasped by psychics. Thus why Psychic attacks are useless against dark types. Of course, dark-type pokemon are not demons, they are animals and humanoids, like any other pokemon. They just have traits based off of some creepy stuff in the world of irl paranormal research, but tbh, they are one of my favorite types to use. Scrafty is a huge fav for me.

Oh, a pokemon that creeps me out - SABLEYE! Based off of a demonic entity seen in Kentucky.

Last edited:

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Because Ghost needs another weakness other than itself.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that Dark had to be that type. That type could've been Psychic and it would've worked fine.

Of course, the explanation by Mr. FusRoDah suffices.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The only major problem I have with the current type chart is that Poison needs more type advantages. Being strong against only one type that has four other weaknesses (many of which are significantly more popular types) is far from balanced.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Actually I think they should just change Flying Type to Wind or Air.

Ive been thinking that for about a decade (also with how its one of the 4 classic greek elements and all), especially when you see Tornadus, the only actual primary Flying type, finally proving that elemental wind belongs there.

But I have realized that wind is much more a secondary effect, rarely the main source and cause of damage.
Its similar to light, sound.. both can have some gimmicky attack that utilizes them to damage opponents, but in general, they are more of an extra feature shared by moves of different real elements that drive them.

I mean, think of it this way.. any Electric and Fire move will produce light, and even some Steel, Bug, Normal, Psy when they do involve light. Similarly, sound is produced with basically everything, and is only the source of the actual harm on a few gimmicky moves like Hyper Voice.

Wind can be caused by all sorts of attacks too, and when it is involved, its mostly just used as the transfer for the actual type, whether its hurling around things or elemental energy.
Fire Spin, Leaf Tornado and Leaf Storm, Ominous Wind and Silver Wind, Icy Wind, Sandstorm... sure there is now Hurricane as THE wind attack, but heck even Whirlwind and Twister aren't Flying types.

So Flying is most of all a technique like Fighting, Poison and Dark, these all employ some kind of strategy or battle approach to gain an advantage.
Wind is just the secondary elemental side of it.
Like elemental darkness shows up as a Dark Pulse on Dark types movelist occasionally even though it is all about dishonest fighting.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
The only major problem I have with the current type chart is that Poison needs more type advantages. Being strong against only one type that has four other weaknesses (many of which are significantly more popular types) is far from balanced.

Yeah, I find that with the Poison type, too. But it's been four generations since a type chart rehash, and while it's not impossible for the type chart to change now, it'd surely be a burden for both casual and competitive players alike. :/