• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Types Associated with Each Protagonist

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Inspired by @Rune Knight's thread about types associated with each region, I decided to do a similar thing, but with the main protagonists:

• Red - Fire (pretty obvious, and he is popularly depicted with a Charizard)
  • Leaf - Grass (also pretty obvious, I've seen some fan art of her with a Bulbasaur)
  • Ethan (Gold) - Fire (he is often shown with Cyndaquil, and Gold is Ho-Oh's version)
  • Kris - Water (because her name is a shortening of Crystal, and crystals are clear like water)
  • Lyra - Grass (I often see fan art of her with Chikorita)
  • Brendan - Dragon (I don't really know why, maybe because he was seen riding on Latias/Latios in OR/AS?)
  • May - Fairy (her Contest outfit looks like a fairy's outfit)
  • Lucas - Grass (I often imagine him with a Turtwig as his starter)
  • Dawn - Water (Piplup was her starter in the anime)
  • Hilbert - Dragon (I feel like it just fits him, maybe because the main legendaries of Unova are both Dragons?)
  • Hilda - Flying (for some reason, I often imagine her riding on a Swanna)
  • Nate - Fighting (he just seems like the sort of trainer who'd use Fighting types)
  • Rosa - Psychic (mostly as a counterpart to Nate)
  • Calem - Dragon (I feel like he'd often use Dragon types)
  • Serena - Fairy (she had a Sylveon in the anime)
  • Elio (Sun) - Steel (Solgaleo is Psychic/Steel)
  • Selene (Moon) - Ghost (Lunala is Psychic/Ghost)
  • Victor - Fighting (I often see him being Sword's player character, and a sword is used in fighting; the opposite of Zacian's Fairy typing)
  • Gloria - Fairy (to counter Victor, and the opposite of Zamazenta's Fighting typing)
You can have player characters from non-core series games as well, like Wes and Rui from Colosseum, in which case:

• Wes - Dark (Umbreon was one of the two Eeveelution starters in Colosseum, and I feel like he just has a dark vibe around him)
  • Rui - Psychic (Espeon was the other starter in Colosseum, and she can sense when a Pokémon has a Shadow aura)

Last edited:

Rune Knight

Ayyyy! Glad to be of influence! Here's mine then.

Red: Fire (I envision his association with Charizard.)
Leaf: Grass (It's in the name! I envision his association with Venusaur.)
Chase: Electric (Most art shows him with Pikachu.)
Elaine: Normal (Most art shows her with Eevee.)
Ethan: Fire (He owns a Cyndaquil most of the time, plus I feel like he inherits the spirit of Red.)
Kris: Ice (Feel like Crystals and Ice are often associated.)
Lyra: Normal (No specific reason for now other than vibes.)
Brendan: Normal (No reason other than they are the selective son/daughter of Norman.)
May: Normal (No reason other than they are the selective son/daughter of Norman. )
Lucas: Steel (I see him getting Dialgia.)
Dawn: Water (I see her getting Palkia. Plus there is her famous Piplup.)
Hilbert: Dragon (Cause of the heavy emphasis on Dragon type legendaries in Unova.)
Hilda: Dragon (Same as Hilbert.)
Nate: Water (His clothes are blue, plus I see him choosing Oshawott.)
Rosa: Grass (I see that she has the Snivy line in most media.)
Calem: Flying
(He has a Charizard Y in most media, which acts more as a flying type. Plus maybe he could be a sky trainer.)
Serena: Fairy (Introductory region and her Sylveon in the anime.)
Elio: Ghost (I see him having a Decidueye and being associated with the night/spooky aspect.)
Selene: Psychic (I see her being associated with the day/light aspect, and feel like psychic is sort of a light type.)
Victor: Fighting (I imagine him getting Zamazenta.)
Gloria: Fairy (I imagine her getting Zacian.)

Since I'm having so much fun with this, I'll do the non-playable rivals as well.

Blue/Gary: Water (I envision his association with Blastoise. Also remembered that he's not a playable character so I moved him here.)
Trace: Ground (Feel like it's a nice counterpart to Pikachu although maybe not Eevee.)
Silver: Dark (He's so edgy. I see him owning 'evil' looking pokémon like Sneasel and Crobat.
Wally: Psychic (His Gardevoir/Gallade.)
Barry: Bug (He can be pretty "buggy". Plus I believe that he owns a Heracross in a lot of media.)
Cherren: Normal (His gym leader specialty. Plus his famous Stoutland.)
Bianca: Psychic (Not entirely sure, but I believe that she has a Musharna in most media.)
Hugh: Dark (Though he's not evil in any way, he isn't afraid to let his dark side slip/show.)
Shauna: Grass (Mainly cause she has a Bulbasaur in the anime.)
Tierno: Water (Mainly cause he has a Squirtle in the anime.)
Trevor: Fire (Mainly cause he has a Charmander in the anime.)
Hau: Electric (He has an Alolan Raichu in a lot of media. Plus his energetic personality.)
Gladion: Dark (Edgyness. Plus he owns a Zoroark and Umbreon in the anime.)
Hop: Normal (Mostly because of his famous Wooloo.)
Bede: Fairy (His specialty as a forthcoming Gym Leader.)
Marnie: Dark (Mostly because of goth-like aspect and her famous Morpeko.)
Klara: Poison (Specialty.)
Avery: Psychic (Specialty.)

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Rosa: Grass (I see that she has the Snivy line in most media.)

She had a Serperior in the B2/W2 animated trailer.

Dawn: Water (I see her getting Palkia. Plus there is her famous Piplup.)

I always forget that Palkia is a Water type, because it doesn't really look like one.

Hugh: Dark (Though he's not evil in any way, he isn't afraid to let his dark side slip/show.)

Darkness doesn't necessarily mean evilness. :p

Klara: Poison (Specialty.)

Because of her headband, I keep thinking Klara is a Bug-type trainer. Maybe she has Bug/Poison types in her team? (I haven't played Sword/Shield, so I don't have the Isle of Armor expansion.)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Brendan: Fighting (No reason other than they are the selective son/daughter of Norman.)
May: Fighting (No reason other than they are the selective son/daughter of Norman. Plus I see her having Blaziken because of the anime.)

Wouldn't they be Normal, since their father is a Normal-type Gym Leader?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Normal because none of them are real characters, just vessels for the player

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Normal because none of them are real characters, just vessels for the player

I'm going by either their anime or manga counterparts, or which Pokémon they're popularly depicted with in fan art.

Rune Knight

I mean, in the real world, normal is a pretty broad term.

Physically speaking, humans and other living beings tend to be made up of a multitude of elements; mainly water, iron/zinc/and other metals (steel), heat and energy (fire and electricity), etc.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Physically speaking, humans and other living beings tend to be made up of a multitude of elements; mainly water, iron/zinc/and other metals (steel), heat and energy (fire and electricity), etc.

So you could say we do have types in real life? :D

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I mean, in the real world, normal is a pretty broad term.

I think it averages out to Normal/Water

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur