• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
In the Hawaii Democratic primary, possibly the most competitive in the country, incumbent Brian Schatz leads in fundraising over his opponent, Colleen Hanabusa

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=255453741&id=255453741

While I originally thought this primary could go either way, I think that Schatz's fundraising advantage and Obama's endorsement give him the advantage. Thank goodness, Schatz is one of the best Senators we have, and I don't want to replace him with a DLC third-wayer.

Silver Soul

You do relize the reason the CBO reported that is because they expected more choices available, with fewer choices now available to customers the premiums are lower.... Until this fall when the 2015 rates come out

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/...ding-will-rise-by-less-than-expected-because/

And I was told to be taken seriously by posting from less polarizing sources. Fox News was spinning over people having a 2nd job to keep health care can volunteer to quit and keep their plan.

BigLutz

Banned
And I was told to be taken seriously by posting from less polarizing sources. Fox News was spinning over people having a 2nd job to keep health care can volunteer to quit and keep their plan.

I am sure that is true for some people as they are getting the same healthcare plan they used to have just more expensive. Mind you also a plan with less benefits means more out of pocket cost

BTW only reason I used hot air is because I am on my iPhone and needed ease of use, the link will change to the .PSD file and relevant quotes when I get ahold of a computer

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Idaho Congressman Mike Simpson, who's facing a tough primary from the right, receives a powerful endorsement

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/mitt-romney-mike-simpson-105709.html?hp=r17

Mitt Romney appears in a U.S. Chamber of Commerce television ad for Idaho GOP Rep. Mike Simpson that is set to start airing Wednesday.

Romney’s cameo is a boost to Simpson as he fights May 20 primary challenger Bryan Smith.

Romney won the district by 31 points in the 2012 presidential contest, according to the Cook Political Report.

“The stakes are very high in this election because Washington spending is out of control,” Romney says in the 30-second ad. “You can take it from me. The conservative choice for Congress is Mike Simpson. I know because I’ve seen him in action. Mike is fighting hard every day to cut Washington’s wasteful spending, to stop junk lawsuits and to fight against Obamacare. We are going to win this battle. I hope you’ll join me and strongly support Mike Simpson for Congress.”

Meanwhile, Democrats are targeting 30 House Republicans on immigration, in a last ditch effort to pass the Gang of 8 bill through the House.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/immigration-democrats-house-republicans-105703.html?hp=l18

The new pressure tactic includes a memo distributed to those 30 districts held by Republicans who have expressed public support for some sort of immigration reform, many of them backing a pathway to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants in the United States.

Democrats hope the document — which highlights statements made by those Republicans in favor of reform, as well as data showing the district-specific economic impact of an overhaul — generates local coverage of GOP lawmakers whose party in the House has so far stalled bringing reform to the floor. The memo, which calls on Republicans to endorse a Democratic-led tactic to force a vote onreform, is also available in Spanish and Mandarin.

“We’ve waited for them to put something forward,” Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.) said of House Republicans on a conference call with reporters on Tuesday. He called the latest Democratic tactic their “last effort” to do reform legislatively.

BigLutz

Banned
Meanwhile, Democrats are targeting 30 House Republicans on immigration, in a last ditch effort to pass the Gang of 8 bill through the House.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/immigration-democrats-house-republicans-105703.html?hp=l18

I don't know to get immigration passed there needs to be significant border improvements, and I am talking about everything just shy of landmines. It is useless to pass reform if the border remains open as the problem will only return a decade or two

John Madden

resident policy guy
So I created a chart on my predictions for the 2014 governor and senate races, and I know it may be early, but I also have my ridiculously early 2016 and 2014 predictions.

Senate Predictions
Governor Predictions

Tossup means I think both sides have an even chance of winning, lean means I think it can go either way, but one side has a slight advantage, likely means one side has a clear advantage, but an upset is possible, and safe means one side is guaranteed a victory. I'm counting the two independent senators as Democrats. Underlined means that the election already happened and I was right. Also, I accidentally left off the 2014 Oregon Senate Race. That should be Safe D. Also, I accidentally placed the Texas governor's race in Likely R, should be Safe.

w/r/t governor predictions, based on what i'm seeing in polling and on the ground, right now i'd throw ohio into tossup - kasich legitimately hasn't hit 45% against fitzgerald since the middle of last year and the undecideds in every poll are dem-leaning demographic groups. (ixnay what i said about SC, i completely forgot how close it was in 2010)

montana senate is almost certainly going to be closer than west virginia.

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
w/r/t governor predictions, based on what i'm seeing in polling and on the ground, right now i'd throw ohio into tossup - kasich legitimately hasn't hit 45% against fitzgerald since the middle of last year and the undecideds in every poll are dem-leaning demographic groups. (ixnay what i said about SC, i completely forgot how close it was in 2010)
I recall last year he was generally leading and had higher approval ratings than most GOP governors, but looking at some more recent polls you're probably right
montana senate is almost certainly going to be closer than west virginia.
I think Tennent is a much stronger candidate than Walsh, but both states are probably gone and I'm probably being generous having West Virgina as only Lean R

John Madden

resident policy guy
that's weird, because i'm pretty sure the democratic candidate for new mexico governor's going to be gary king

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
that's weird, because i'm pretty sure the democratic candidate for new mexico governor's going to be gary king

This was made back in 2010 has King won the primary?

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Harper polls a few competitive races for the NRSC

http://e.nrsc.org/t/j-64E37D64E7CD9F76

Arkansas: Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor 39, GOP Rep. Tom Cotton 39, not sure 22. http://goo.gl/IOm2wD
Colorado: Democratic Sen. Mark Udall 45, GOP Rep. Cory Gardner 43, not sure 12. Udall approval rating: 38 percent approve, 46 percent disapprove. http://goo.gl/nbq7xe
Louisiana: In Nov. 4 primary: Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu 40, GOP Rep. Bill Cassidy 35, Republican Rob Maness 4, Republican Paul Hollis 3, not sure 18 percent. In hypothetical runoff: Landrieu 43, Cassidy 47, not sure 10. Landrieu approval rating: 39 percent approve, 51 percent disapprove. http://goo.gl/33jFGj
Michigan: Republican former secretary of state Terri Lynn Land 43, Democratic Rep. Gary Peters 40, not sure 18. Peters favorability: 25 percent favorable, 35 percent unfavorable. http://goo.gl/dGq7I1
Montana: Democratic Sen. John Walsh 35, Republican Rep. Steve Daines 42, not sure 23. Democratic former Lt. Gov. John Bohlinger 33, Daines 44, not sure 23. http://goo.gl/8c6vv9

Most of these look pretty reasonable, although Cassidy and Land definitely aren't doing that well, and I highly doubt Pryor is in a better position than Landrieu

BigLutz

Banned
Looks like CNN has taken notice to Mary Landreu's restaging of a Senate hearing for her political ad and how the reinactment is blowing up in her face as it is causing people to focus on how false the footage is.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...d-With-Fake-Footage-Is-Blowing-Up-In-Her-Face

Seeing how Landreu probably won't win in November I guess any chance to get her ad out is good for her even if it is staged and phoney

In other news Elizabeth Warren keeps pushing her Native American identity in her book, the problems and lies with that story could come into play in 2016 if she decides to run

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
In other news Elizabeth Warren keeps pushing her Native American identity in her book, the problems and lies with that story could come into play in 2016 if she decides to run
She's said several times she doesn't plan on running

BigLutz

Banned
She's said several times she doesn't plan on running

I wouldn't be surprised if she changes her mind if Hillary does not run, I mean who else is really a challenge in the field? Biden?

Edit: Chelsea just announced she was having a baby could Hillary possibly not run so she could spend the early formative years with her grandchild instead of missing almost everything while on the campaign trail/west wing?

Last edited:

ccangelopearl1362

Ah, election season. Whatever some of you guys did in my thread late last November threw off my concentration, but for my part, I’m already under the assumption that all bets are off. Certain world leaders’ plans have started to unfold, and I’ve included some key tidbits of info for my main associates nowadays, perhaps warranting some new attention out of my humble corner of the world.:

Public Policy Polling: Ted Cruz most popular in Texas
Politico: Ted Cruz faces 2016 skeptics in South Carolina

As the population shifts filter into this country, Ted Cruz looks to be one of the most recognized names, at least in my home state.:

• 47% approval vs. 35% disapproval in general
• 25% of Republican primary voters favoring him for President vs. 14% for Jeb Bush, 10% for Governor Rick Perry and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, 5% for New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, and 4% for Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and Florida Senator Marco Rubio
• 23% in favor of a Rick Perry run in 2016 vs. 66% believing he should sit 2016 out
• 50% support for something known as the Paycheck Fairness Act, meaning equal pay for equal work between men and women, vs. 30% opposition
• 34-35% of Republicans in total bolstering Paycheck Fairness Act support

If numbers and rallies reflect mood, then South Carolina’s activists might need more than a few questions as President Barack Obama’s administration continues lurching everywhere. Certain establishment figures among that state’s Republicans stress that they’re not completely certain about the good senator’s coalition-building capabilities just yet, while Cruz himself wants to emphasize his general stance from illegal immigration to ObamaCare. Other visits have popped up, from Iowa to Florida, but certain political junkies might have their eyes turned beyond the current 2016 presidential lineup.:

Indianapolis Star: Gov. Mike Pence for President in 2016?
Houston Chronicle: Julian Castro, Dan Patrick slug it out over immigration

Dissatisfaction could be plain if the aforementioned names exhaust each other in the coming months, and for Governor Mike Pence’s part, he doesn’t want to set up a run just yet, either. The Heritage Foundation has noted his past appearances, and an advisor recently departed to take up political consultation… with the Governor of Indiana as a likely client. One might get the idea that Pence’s deliberately keeping himself out of the running in order to let more high-profile names drift toward him in case the others run out of energy, time, or both, but also surprise people across this country, and on the other hand, he could make others aware enough to keep him in mind as a vice-presidential candidate alongside the eventual presidential nominee, thereby pushing the course of the Republican Party that much closer to cohesion by 2016. My home state could also cheer any solutions proposed by the candidates to become Lieutenant Governor, and I would admire the approach taken by Dan Patrick: broadening the debate, “which was slated as exclusively over immigration”, to incorporate abortion and ObamaCare in an overarching agenda of sorts, so that if nothing else, activists and experts nationwide might have an idea or two for maintaining this course of improvement. To be fair, the Univision debate didn’t entail runs for office, but I would note the exchange of ideas to be taken up by other candidates down the road, but if events inside this country can keep us steady, then events outside this country look to take a far eerier turn.:

Daily Beast: Eli Lake: Sorry, Snowden: Putin Lied to You About His Surveillance State—and Made You a Pawn of It
USA Today: Jews ordered to register in east Ukraine
Washington Post: Diplomats reach deal on defusing Ukraine crisis

These last three headlines popped up in the last few hours, and the Twitter reactions in the case of the second were all too instantaneous, and justifiably so, I might think. I caught news about the supposed broadcast earlier this morning, and the setup against the President of the United States looks to be as deliberate as we might expect. The Federal Security Service and the Foreign Intelligence Service haven’t wasted too much time sniping and provoking their way through Ukraine’s easternmost regions, and the International Eurasian Movement was all too happy to piggyback on their – and, by extension, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s – networks, as it might have been this entire time. Whereas we have court records and authorization, the Russians apparently don’t, and incredibly, even various journalists were happy to reward whatever campaigns have been up and running, via Pulitzers. If that wasn’t enough, some Jewish communities might now be in the crosshairs of any spies manufacturing the turbulence in that corner of the world. Denis Pushilin, purported to be the one in charge of whatever regime has been set up in Donetsk, signed his name on the leaflets in question, which were handed to Jews leaving synagogues after Passover commemorations, all under threat of either revoked citizenship, deportation, or asset confiscation. It was up to Secretary of State John Kerry to call this incident “grotesque”, and the references to 1939 could speak for themselves, which can’t help the most recent agreement to disarm the aforementioned groups much. The idea is to withdraw those groups from the streets, squares, and public places they occupied and grant amnesty to anyone other than individuals “found guilty of capital crimes”, but I’m not holding my breath. These Eurasianists, championed by one Alexander Dugin, want that project of theirs to extend from at least Berlin all the way eastward to Vladivostok, something with even more territory than the old Soviet Union, a second terror-sponsoring cult using the network(s) built by the first one to take control of Russia. If Ted Cruz and other high-profile Republicans already spoke in favor of escalated sanctions against Russia’s oligarchy, then the Eurasianists certainly add a completely new angle to that country’s course since that fateful Christmas back in 1991, setting up an even bigger mess in due time, I think.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
If Hillary didn't run and Warren did, I'd expect her to become the front runner, yes. She polls well, she represents the same milestone as Hillary, and would probably be the most Obama-esque candidate ( blue state senator elected four years before the election, loved by the base, would be a historical milestone). If both decline, I'd expect the nomination to go to one of the following, in no particular order:

Vice president Joe Biden
New York governor Andrew Cuomo
New York senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Virginia senator Mark Warner
Maryland governor Martin O'Malley
Missouri governor Jay Nixon
Former Montana governor Brian Schweitzer
Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar
Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown

( blue state senator elected four years before the election, loved by the base, would be a historical milestone)
Yep, let's vote for Elizabeth Warren on that basis, because she's so similar to the guy sitting in the White House. What an amazing job Obama's done. In my opinion, if Hillary doesn't win, you're going to see voter turnout and enthusiasm for this election plummet for the Democratic Party.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Yep, let's vote for Elizabeth Warren on that basis, because she's so similar to the guy sitting in the White House. What an amazing job Obama's done. In my opinion, if Hillary doesn't win, you're going to see voter turnout and enthusiasm for this election plummet for the Democratic Party.

Warren certainly does have a lot in common with Senator Obama. Not that much with President Obama though.

And Warren is probably the only Democrat besides Hillary that can generate any sort of enthusiasm at all. She's certainly loved by the base, and rates as the most popular politician in America