• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
John McCain was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

John McCain's politics suck, but all the best to him and his family. If he's gonna die, I just hope it's fast. Unfortunately, all considered, that still sounds kind of awful because it sounds like I'm saying "HURRY UP AND VACATE YOUR SEAT ALREADY SHITBAG" which is, for once, not how I mean it.

On-topic, though: Al Franken is a delight. I'd vote for that guy in a heartbeat.

The Admiral

John McCain manages to have a shred of decency when he speaks, but that's about it. It's hard to pat a man on the back too much for some of what he's said (e.g. when he called out people for saying Barack Obama was a ~secret Muslim~) while e.g. he also took Sarah Palin as his running mate. It's nice that he speaks out against Trump and his followers, but he needed to sack up and vote against some of the **** the extreme right wing was pushing.

Mordent99

Banned
Look, it's very, very hard for me to feel sorry for McCain.

The man was a quisling who continued to support a corrupt President who insulted him and side with a corrupt political party.

And he's proof term limits are needed. Yeah, he called out a few of the most absurd accusations. He had common decency, hurrah for him. Maybe he'd also call out a pro-cannibalism or pro-pedophile candidate, which IMOHO, are as lucid as a Birther. (I mean, seriously, what is the world coming to when people actually believe the birther nonsense? The word "impossible" comes to mind when estimating the chances of it being true.)

But when push came to shove, he was the same selfish "win at any cost no matter who I have to step on" type that the entire Republican Party is.

I've been wishing he was gone for a long time, and I don't care how.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
John McCain would get more respect if he actually took action against Trump instead of the "This brings up serious concerns but I'll still vote with him and do nothing" thing he's always done. His Maverick persona really isn't there when you look at it.

That being said a few people thought he should have retired but I guess he wanted to keep going.

Pikachu52

I see a number of people have mentioned Minnesota senator Al Franken, the former Saturday Night Live performer and comedian.

I don't know a huge amount about him or his policies, but I think it's worth asking whether America really should have another entertainment industry figure as President. The last two Presidents to have come from Hollywood have been, at least in my opinion, have been poor president with policy and electoral legacies that have impacts internationally and beyond their own tenure. Donald Trump, the former apprentice host... I don't think I need to discuss further.

President Ronald Reagan, who before entering politics was a B rate movie star, is perhaps one of the most consequential and one of the worst presidents of the last five decades; ignoring the AIDS crisis, Iran-Contra, the PATCO strike and defanging the American Trade Union movement and arming the Taliban. He also more or less gave the GOP it's hardline ideological stance and married conservative politics with the pro-life movement and what became the religious right. He also set up the political careers of George Bush and George W. Bush

On the other hand, the Late night comedians seem to be the most effective counter to Trump thanks to their ability to mock him - that would at the very least make for an interesting debate.

Last edited:

The Admiral

The problem with Ronnie and Donnie is that they were and are, respectively, demon spawn, and has nothing to do with their prior careers. Al Franken has since managed to transform into an incredible politician. Maybe you actually should look up his policies instead of pre-judging?

John McCain would get more respect if he actually took action against Trump instead of the "This brings up serious concerns but I'll still vote with him and do nothing" thing he's always done. His Maverick persona really isn't there when you look at it.

That being said a few people thought he should have retired but I guess he wanted to keep going.

That's basically what we've all been saying here. As to the latter point: most people in power -- especially Republicans -- don't want to let go.

bobjr

Staff member
Al Franken has mentioned how he tends to feel like he has to work harder to be taken seriously because of his past, which is probably why he does such a good job. Plus he's probably the Senator Ted Cruz hates the most because he dunks on him every time they talk.

Pikachu52

The problem with Ronnie and Donnie is that they were and are, respectively, demon spawn, and has nothing to do with their prior careers. Al Franken has since managed to transform into an incredible politician. Maybe you actually should look up his policies instead of pre-judging?

Admittedly my point was a little too prejudicial.

From what I've seen of Al Franken he would be a good candidate, given he has significant political experience and he understands the nature of Fox news and right wing media, which would be a significant asset. His policies seem to be more or less the same as most democrats.

Generally I don't think entertainers make good politicians. I don't want a precedent set that would see characteristics and skills associated with satire or entertainment valued as much or over policy.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
If you're running against a 2020 GOP candidate you need someone like Al Franken who won't do a "We go high they go low" line. He's not the only one who fits that qualification, but it's extremely helpful when you need someone to be honest but hard hitting against someone spinning pure bullshit.

The Admiral

Oh boy, the "they go low, we go high" rhetoric. Yeah, see where that got you guys? Now you're reduced to the party of "Have you SEEN the other guys?" May as well just put "Y'ever seen Deliverance? That's our average opponent" on your bumper stickers at that point.

As I wrote this, the phrase "They go low, we wear a cup" came to mind and that makes me chuckle.

Mordent99

Banned
Generally I don't think entertainers make good politicians.

True. We have enough comedians in Congress already.

He would get more respect if he called Trump and Pence out for the monsters they are and quit, rather than support their bills. But the selfish and stubborn Republican nature compelled him to forget the insults Trump leveled at him, and stay to vote for their vile platform of hate and greed, never once considering retiring and living off his already high pension, possibly donating to charity to help the folks Trump plans to watch die while fueling his ego.

Want to see why I despise the Republican Party?

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/7/7/15934752/health-insurance-heterotaxy-twitter

THAT'S why. Read the whole story.

IMOHO, when a man is so evil that he will actually say such things to the mother of a terminally ill child, it is not forgivable. In fact, even suggesting that such actions are forgivable is, in my book, an unforgivable affront to God.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Franken is incredibly genuine and heartfelt from what I've seen of him

I don't know if he'd want to run, but he's definitely a guy who's in politics for the right reasons

Mordent99

Banned

Pikachu52

That would be Sarah Huckabee Sanders. (Gonna take a LOT for me to feel sorry for HER.)

Trump has made the job of White House press secretary almost impossible. From what I understand he doesn't communicate with the press secretary meaning half the time Spicer and Huckabee-sanders can't give clear answers to journalists. Other times he seems to have asked them to directly lie to the press. He shoot from hip constantly, putting either rubbish on twitter or using it to bully reporters, which the press secretary has to take the brunt of questions about. After firing James Comey, he directly contradicted what Sean Spicer had said at a press briefing in an interview with Lester Holt. On top of that he looks like an impossible man to work for - demands loyalty from his supporter but's only too happy to throw those same supporters under the bus when things don't go his way. Like he's the goddamed Godfather. I'd heard he'd wanted to get rid of Spicer for ages, ever since the Melissa McCarthy skits on SNL. It's no wonder Spicer had so much trouble finding his replacement. So I do empathise with Sarah Huckabee-Sanders. Those would be nightmarish conditions to work under

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/h...ess-secretarys-job-impossible/article/2623181

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Trump has made the job of White House press secretary almost impossible. From what I understand he doesn't communicate with the press secretary meaning half the time Spicer and Huckabee-sanders can't give clear answers to journalists. Other times he seems to have asked them to directly lie to the press.

Well, that seems pretty in-line with his character, if you ask me. Even as POTUS, he's still about promoting himself as a brand, essentially. And the "Trump personal brand" is weakened if people are focusing on a press secretary. He wants everyone to listen to him. But he's got to keep up appearances so he just picks a lackey to flail around as press secretary.

But I'm sure Spicer will now land some sort of nice talking head role. Maybe even a book deal or two. So, I can't really feel sorry for the guy or any successor.

bobjr

Staff member
Press Secretary is a hard job, most only stay on for about 2 years at most. The problem is Trump would either harass, say something the opposite of what you just said, or lie. No one really wants the job.

One thing I never get is why all GOP members take his abuse though. For someone who will throw them under the bus in a heartbeat they're sure good at defending him, even when they're safe in elections.