• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Zora

perpetually tired
When it comes to climate change in particular, usually I find that the bulk of the denial comes from the fact that climate change is man-made. Usually, you can get someone who denies climate change to accept its occurring as long as you don't implicate human responsibility.

On some level, I think this indicates that most people that deny climate change know better, they simply think it's out of anyone's hands and want the enjoy the party while it lasts. The attitude isn't so much "I don't believe, convince me" it's "**** it"

I don't make a serious discussion between 'climate change is happening but it isn't anthropomorphic' and 'climate change is a conspiracy full stop' narratives. IDK, to me that's like making a serious distinction between 6000 year old earth creationism and 10,000 year old creationism--they're both so wrong why are make the distinction?

Here's the thing, why are conservative so afraid of saying (anthropomorphic) climate change is happening? For GOP politicians, that's straightforward enough (fossil fuel has money); but it's nearly consensus of Republicans don't believe in anthropomorphic climate change. 1 in 3 conservative Republicans don't believe climate change is happening fullstop, 1 in 2 of conservative Republicans don't believe it's anthropomorphic but believe it's happening, and 2 in 3 of right of center people don't believe in (anthropomorphic) climate change. My main point is for your average Fox News viewer, why is it so important scientists be wrong about climate change? That speaks to a worldview that isn't based on reason and logic, and yet those some people demand reason and logic when their views are under fire.

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Just let the GOP burn to the ground. Even a hate train loses steam eventually.
Arguing about climate change at this point is just as silly. I wouldn't spend my time arguing about gravity existing. No difference.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
When it comes to climate change in particular, usually I find that the bulk of the denial comes from the fact that climate change is man-made. Usually, you can get someone who denies climate change to accept its occurring as long as you don't implicate human responsibility.

On some level, I think this indicates that most people that deny climate change know better, they simply think it's out of anyone's hands and want the enjoy the party while it lasts. The attitude isn't so much "I don't believe, convince me" it's "**** it"

I'd argue that's not the case anymore. We have enough data from climate scientists now, also we now have evidence that companies knew this as far back as the 70's and refused to do anything meaningful about it.

Also there's the fact that it's both cheaper and more efficient now to do alternate energy, but we've put coal barons and oil CEOs in top government positions who do nothing but halt progress.

There's also the crazy evangelical wing.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
On climate change, I have searched scientific databases on a myriad of topics, and many of them will casually mention climate change, suggesting that it is a factual set of ideas (which it is).
I "tried" to argue with climate change deniers while mentioning my science backgrounds, but then it becomes "Your professors are paid by the government."
Which government are we talking about? The one with Scott Pruitt?

My problem with Republicans, aside from my conflicting beliefs, is that they seem specific to whites, Christians, and people that aren't poor, which combined, makes just one minority rather than several, and their ideals seem phased out.

EnglishALT

A couple things in the news today, the Democrats wave in 2018 to stop the “hate train” is beginning to slow. Real clear politics has the generic congressional vote down to a tiny 5.5% difference, apparently the smallest in a year.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2018_generic_congressional_vote-6185.html

One reason for this could be that the public is willing to vote AGAINST candidates that support impeachment of President Trump. If the Democrats continue to push this in the coming months it could very well cost them any chance to finally get out of the minority.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/18/6034...ng-impeachment-would-backfire-on-democrats-in

Also the IG has sent his findings to prosecutors to possibly build a legal case on Andrew McCabe for lying under oath. I wonder how many Democrats still consider this as President Trump acting petty and that Sessions ordered the firing for no real reason.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/politics/justice-mccabe-criminal-referral/index.html

bobjr

Staff member
Lol at Nunes releasing the Comey memos without reading them thinking it would make him look bad. Best case it's the same smoothbrained Donald Trump stuff we're used to now.

Also generic polls are pretty bad. Candidate vs. Candidate polls are usually much better because you have specific faces and policies to apply, which is why the generic polls always skew way closer than actual results so far.

Plus using Ramussen is cheating at this point.

EnglishALT

Are all the primaries finished? I know some started early last month but I am not sure if all the candidates have been voted on yet in every state.

bobjr

Staff member
I mean if you want to ignore every special election so far kudos to you.

EnglishALT

I mean if you want to ignore every special election so far kudos to you.

I am speaking of the primaries to set the candidates for the general election in November, you can’t really poll candidate vs candidate if the candidates have not been decided.

bobjr

Staff member
https://i3.createsend1.com/ei/i/3C/21C/413/144417/csfinal/GeneralElectionScorecard.png

I mean look at basic things. This is R +12 by the way. I keep stating that if you give people what they what they'll screw over anyone below them. But pure wealth disparity like this causes things like this. The GOP could have kept skimming from the top like usual, and while a full Senate Majority is arguably out of reach to 2020 that a generic blue dog candidate is the only favorable candidate, while the GOP is trying their best to keep the other Senate member alive for rules lawyering.

EnglishALT

https://i3.createsend1.com/ei/i/3C/21C/413/144417/csfinal/GeneralElectionScorecard.png

I mean look at basic things. This is R +12 by the way. I keep stating that if you give people what they what they'll screw over anyone below them. But pure wealth disparity like this causes things like this. The GOP could have kept skimming from the top like usual, and while a full Senate Majority is arguably out of reach to 2020 that a generic blue dog candidate is the only favorable candidate, while the GOP is trying their best to keep the other Senate member alive for rules lawyering.

You know that argument may have been more persuasive if you did not post a poll that has 3 Republicans and 1 Democrat, thus splitting the base between their support and magnifying the negatives of the individual Republican candidates while the Democrats can rally around one singular candidate.

Speaking of skimming, apparently the new tax law caps a deduction that wealthy liberals in high tax states in California and New York have been using to get around paying for the taxes the Democratic politicians they support enact. Using SALT they can deduct certain taxes paid to state and local governments from their federal income tax form. Essentially allowing wealthy to pass the cost of the high taxes onto the federal government.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article209015539.html
https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-local-tax-deduction-primer/

It makes you wonder if these millionaires and billionaires are going to be so willing to open their check books for liberal candidates that will raise state and local taxes, now that they are actually having to pay them.

Last edited:

Zora

perpetually tired
California already gives more money to the federal government than it takes in. The fact they benefit from SALT deductions is because everything here is expensive (one reason I'm moving is because I can't afford to live here); but that high cost of living (i.e. higher than average incomes) means the federal government benefits financially from California even on a per capita basis. Yes, eliminating SALT taxes would increase federal revenue, but so would not passing a reverse Robinhood tax cut.

Worth noting elimination of SALT deductions were once part of the corporate welfare tax cut; just because Dems support it doesn't mean GOP don't (they do). You severely underestimate how similar Dems/GOP are on economic issues and differ only when economic issues intersect with social. The wedge between the parties are social issues.

Lastly, just because someone is in California doesn't mean they're liberal. Furthermore, per the fact social issues drive the wedge between parties, many "liberals" in California are more accurately thought of as libertarian (but may support government subsidization/socialization/regulation for social-economic issues like healthcare and environment). California has serious financial woes from undertaxing, most notably stemming from prop 13, and the anti-tax sentiment is strong enough that money has continuously been drained from K-12 to fund other programs.

Last edited:

EnglishALT

bobjr

Staff member
Michigan Republicans just rammed through a bill to strip jobless workers of Medicaid.

This is what the lead sponsor of the bill had to say about it: “The best safety net ever created by God is family. I'm not sure that government is supposed to supplement that process."

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/mi...otest-escalates-threats/#.Wtlq8apy3MU.twitter

Also this is happening in the same state, which is just ridiculous that nothing has been done about it. Sherman had the right idea with burning the confederacy down.

EnglishALT

Also, Mitch McConnel is blocking the bipartisan bill to protect the Mueller investigation.

It was all just a political stunt anyway, even if it passes and survives a veto, there is a question as to if it is even constitutional, as the President has the right to fire Muller if he pleases

bobjr

Staff member
He can't fire Mueller anyway, he can just fire the person in charge, and if someone gets confirmed in their place they can fire Mueller. Why do you think it hasn't been done already?

Like this is basic three branch of government power stuff. Now don't get me wrong, we have a Republican Senate voting in Climate Change deniers to lead NASA, but it's not as simple as firing Mueller and that's it. And it might be a hard sell to confirm someone explicitly stating they're going to fire Mueller in an election year like this.

Worst case Mueller has a dead man's switch where you get a bunch of state crimes instead.

EnglishALT

He can't fire Mueller anyway, he can just fire the person in charge, and if someone gets confirmed in their place they can fire Mueller. Why do you think it hasn't been done already?

Like this is basic three branch of government power stuff. Now don't get me wrong, we have a Republican Senate voting in Climate Change deniers to lead NASA, but it's not as simple as firing Mueller and that's it. And it might be a hard sell to confirm someone explicitly stating they're going to fire Mueller in an election year like this.

Worst case Mueller has a dead man's switch where you get a bunch of state crimes instead.

Just did a little reading, you are right Rosenstein is the only one apparently that can fire Muller, which is why Rosenstein apparently is walking on a knife's edge with Congress right now, when it comes to his apparent slow walk in handing over documents, and Congressional Republicans wanting to hold him in contempt or impeach him because of it.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...enstein-some-republicans-are-talking-about-it

Hopefully this thing is over in a few weeks as has been hinted at, Rosenstein and Muller have also said Trump isn't a target of the investigation right now, so things may be seriously drawing to a close in Trump's favor.

bobjr

Staff member
The specified he wasn't a target in terms of sexual matters, not collusion matters. Don Jr.'s emails basically mean they tried to collude, the legal defense has to be that they weren't successful in reaching the Russians, unless they throw Don Jr under the bus. Unfortunately all of his sex crimes have passed the time limit anyway.

Also if you want to bring up the Freedom Caucus as the voice of reason you can just **** off right away. They're worse than just about anyone in government because their only goal is to destroy it.