• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Warren certainly does have a lot in common with Senator Obama. Not that much with President Obama though.

And Warren is probably the only Democrat besides Hillary that can generate any sort of enthusiasm at all. She's certainly loved by the base, and rates as the most popular politician in America

Yeah, but touching on the point of my last post, popularity / historical milestones don't always equate to success. I won't contest your statement, because it's probably correct. I'm just really indifferent at the present time when it comes to U.S. politics. I've been a member of the Republican party since i became eligible to vote and over the years i've started to grow sick of how my party has conducted it's affairs over the past few years. Sort of starting to classify myself as more of a moderate with a strong fiscally conservative mindset. In all honesty, i think if Hillary Clinton runs, we're going to see a result reminiscent of the 08 election, with Hillary destroying the Republican challenger. The pool of challengers from the Republican side make me cringe, and in all honesty don't present a big challenge.

BigLutz

Banned
I would actual say Warren is further to the left than Senator Obama I mean she tried to take some credit for Occupy Wallstreet if my memory is correct.

BigLutz

Banned
Just throwing this out as we are talking about Hillary: How much of a drag would President Obama be on her? She obviously is polling well, but she is also linked to his administration and him in particular. Would low poll numbers hurt Hillary's chances? Or is she too far removed from the Obama White House for that to be a factor?

Personally I am not sure, its hard for a member of any party to run and win after two terms holding the White House, nearly harder when that person is linked to the administration in a somewhat visible/somewhat invisible manner. If we are going to use 2008 as a analogy as KantoPkmnMaster brought up, then Hillary would be McCain, and Obama would be Bush, with the Republicans playing the role of attacking the previous 8 years.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
The President is dragging her down?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/17/obamacare-sign-ups_n_5167080.html

Seems he's about to gain a boost in popularity now that the ACA is actually a success. What they called a "train wreck" is actually a train ahead of schedule.

By the way:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ministration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Seems the President's approval rating is actually pretty good.
If -7 is a good approval rating, I'd hate to see a bad one

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html A more accurate approval rating of Obama.

PPACA a success? Way way too early to tell. Way too many questions linger about whether Obamacare will be remembered as successful.
1. What % of the people that signed up for Obamacare were previously uninsured?
2. Did the Obamacare enrollment numbers by state meet the expectations of the DHHS?
3. How many of the enrolled are young people, the primary target the plan needs to survive?
4. How many of the enrolled will continue to stay enrolled in the future?
5. Are the numbers accurate?

BigLutz

Banned

The latest poll I saw shows Hillary at the lowest level of popularity since 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...numbers-worst-since-2008-as-gop-brand-surges/

Seems he's about to gain a boost in popularity now that the ACA is actually a success. What they called a "train wreck" is actually a train ahead of schedule.

And you honestly think that will last in the higher premiums of 2015? The employer mandate of 2016?

Maedar

Banned
Not another Star Wars analogy.

Someone made that in 2012, claiming Romney's advertising campaign would be "the Death Star", clearly forgetting how the movie ended.

Not another Star Wars analogy.

Someone made that in 2012, claiming Romney's advertising campaign would be "the Death Star", clearly forgetting how the movie ended.

Good. Release your anger. It makes you stronger.

I sense much fear in you.
You'd be fearful too if your party's top candidates at the present time were Rand Paul, Chris Christie and Ted Cruz (who can't even run for President)

Last edited:

John Madden

resident policy guy
The latest poll I saw shows Hillary at the lowest level of popularity since 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...numbers-worst-since-2008-as-gop-brand-surges/

and even with that she's still blowing out every GOP prospect by an average of 8%.

And you honestly think that will last in the higher premiums of 2015? The employer mandate of 2016?

i'm so glad you can see into the actuarial future. tell me how high my medicare premiums are going to be in the 2030s.

PPACA a success? Way way too early to tell. Way too many questions linger about whether Obamacare will be remembered as successful.
1. What % of the people that signed up for Obamacare were previously uninsured?
2. Did the Obamacare enrollment numbers by state meet the expectations of the DHHS?
3. How many of the enrolled are young people, the primary target the plan needs to survive?
4. How many of the enrolled will continue to stay enrolled in the future?
5. Are the numbers accurate?

1: uncertain. gallup's measurement of uninsurance fell from 18% (Q3 2013) to 12.9% (this month), and that measurement covers all adults, so extrapolating their survey gives us about 12 million people who didn't have insurance in april 2013 who now have it.

but i don't think i need to tell you about the danger of extrapolation from a single data source.

2: considering they exceeded original enrollment projections for the entire country 2 weeks before the open enrollment period ended, it's pretty safe to assume individual state projections were met (for the most part).

3: 28%.

4: if this is like the "who has paid???" talking point i've seen bandied about: close to 95%.

5: is there any indication that they aren't?

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
This thread is a little premature, don't you think?

As for the subject matter, I think(against my wishes)that the US will neither elect someone as bowdlerized as Hilary Clinton or John Kerry, nor a Tea Party person like Rand Paul or Chris Christie. It'll be a middle-of-the-road candidate, someone with the mentality of John McCain.(but not him, he's too old)

ccangelopearl1362

Politico: President Obama, Eric Cantor talk immigration – sort of
Miami Herald: Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. Bill Nelson try to keep U.S. attention on Venezuelan political unrest
Daily Caller: Neil Munro: Obama faces cold audience in Pennsylvania

To think that at least some of this mess in American foreign and domestic policy originated more than a few decades ago. Speaking of immigration, illegal or legal, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s mood couldn’t have been helped much according to the current mood, so to speak, and this assumes that immigrants from other traditional societies remain fairly silent over the next few months. I suppose any remaining activists could safely watch these remnants stall and sputter, reflective of the entanglements from the maelstrom unleashed by President Barack Obama and his advisors. For whatever it’s worth, I might think that any population slowdowns would ultimately make such an initiative meaningless, but refugee flows could turn immigration into an issue of short bursts rather than constant arrivals. I’ll leave it to Senators Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson to explore another recent facet of this burgeoning fiasco, backed by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The tidbits of imagery that I’ve caught might have been enough in my case, and the references to visa withdrawals and similar sanctions echo the turmoil over Russia, maybe not coincidentally. Rubio and Nelson favor granting asylum-seekers specialized designations for immigration officials’ purposes, which one might not mind too much. I’m quite certain that various labor unions will need their own contingency plans as refugees flow worldwide from whatever regions they’ve been attempting to escape, swamping the Democrats’ immigration agenda altogether, offering a crack in their coalition. As for the President himself, well, the above anecdote might be one among others in any efforts to estimate the general mood after the past five years, apparently. Obama referred to a “road trip” of sorts across Pennsylvania, but the sequencing might’ve left something to be desired. The rest of Pennsylvania might not have much left as the various possibilities involving, say, shale oil and gas widen throughout North America and this world, as I now recall, whether economic… or geopolitical.:

Jamestown Foundation: Cavid Veliyev: Azerbaijan’s Approach to the Crimean Crisis
Jamestown Foundation: Pavel Felgenhauer: Putin Hovering on the Brink of a Massive Invasion of Ukraine
Time: Simon Shuster: Ukraine’s ‘Jew Register’ Either a Hoax or a Crude Extortion Scheme
Fox News Channel: Raising Specter of Genocide, US Ambassador Power Slams ‘Industrial-Style Slaughter’ in Syria

If I thought and opined the same way that Russian President Vladimir Putin did, then I’d be following a similar track of choices to his, which could say a few things about his mission as he sees it. As nervousness grows along Russia’s borders, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev voiced solidarity with Kiev, a stance echoed at the United Nations, which cited the importance of territorial integrity and global recognition of borders, a stance that Azerbaijan employed in refusing to recognize Kosovo’s independence, back during Bill Clinton’s days in the Oval Office, if I’m not mistaken. Its proximity to Iran and Turkey can’t help tensions there, and as the Eurasianists’ territorial threat twists and turns around the area, those networks already in place look to be accelerating beyond even their control. For Putin’s part, he referred to the area extending from eastern Ukraine to the border with Moldova as “New Russia”, and he and his advisors are echoing calls for the ability to essentially veto Kiev and official recognition of the annexation of Crimea. Call it a project for ethnic exclusivity in Russia’s favor, even if it turns out that certain groups sort to extort or even scare those Jewish communities as much as they could. All this hasn’t even mentioned the national battlefield once known as Syria yet, but perhaps we’ll be able to add Russia itself soon enough, depending on the mobilizations from its most classical historical enemies. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power was following officials who presented photographs depicting “corpses with bones protruding and eyes gouged out”. Between the machinations from the Putinists and the Islamic Revolutionary Guards and the calls from Al-Qaeda and other similar groups, the region could fall beyond recovery, if it hasn’t already. Jen Psaki of the State Department didn’t directly confirm reports of anti-tank missiles for the jihad groups there, but the geopolitical grudge match now taking shape continues. I was among those political junkies who believed that Russia would bide its time during the societal self-destructions worldwide, but perhaps Viktor Yanukovych’s downfall forced its hand. The Sharia supremacists and the Chinese Communists alike could probably salivate at whatever chances they see to dismember Russia in the process. The candidates for 2014 and 2016 will be certain to have a plethora of crises facing them and the rest of the Anglosphere, no matter who ends up winning on either side.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
i'm so glad you can see into the actuarial future. tell me how high my medicare premiums are going to be in the 2030s.

Hey if the employer mandate is going to do such great things for Obama and this country why does he keep pushing it back?

And I would like to expand on the young enrolled number, how many of those are off their parents insurance and not part of the pre existing condition class? In other words how many young invincibles are paying for their own insurance?

You'd be fearful too if your party's top candidates at the present time are Rand Paul, Chris Christie and Ted Cruz (who can't even run for President)

Let's not go Birther, Ted Cruz is eligible to run

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Let's not go Birther, Ted Cruz is eligible to run

I know that, Lutz, but I didn't hear you or any other Republican complaining about Orly Taitz when she was on her crusade to prove otherwise about Mr. Obama. Or discredit any of the other dumb conspiracy theories about him, like the one about him being a Muslim. (I mean, they assumed he was a pro gay marriage Muslim who doesn't observe any Ramadan traditions... Right, sure.)

John Madden

resident policy guy
Hey if the employer mandate is going to do such great things for Obama and this country why does he keep pushing it back?

you've convinced me! a delay in one part of the law means it is actuarial fact that premiums are going to see an unprecedented jump in 2015.

And I would like to expand on the young enrolled number, how many of those are off their parents insurance and not part of the pre existing condition class? In other words how many young invincibles are paying for their own insurance?

that's 28% of QHPs, meaning it's already excluding under-26s.