1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. Politics 2017: So much for the tolerant SPPf

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Polls' started by BigLutz, Apr 15, 2014.

1. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Time to get spooky! Staff Member Moderator

Not surprised that they ruled against it. Gotta make that money. It's really disgusting.

2. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

When are we just going to skip the middleman and just hand over seats in the House and Senate to corporations directly and turn this into the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy? I'm sure the current congress would love that.

3. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

This is an FCC thing, so it's related to Pai. The Senate won't do anything, but the House did vote to reinstate it.

4. WishIhadaManafi5

Yea and that guy is an annoying, greedy arrogant twit. Well it's good that the House did that, but we can pretty much blame McConnell for the Senate being the way it is.

5. bobjr

Yeah McConnell isn't even calling a vote for anything. In theory a vote can be called with 2/3rds support, but good luck getting a GOP senator to do anything. An Impeachment vote is actually one of the things where a vote does have to be called within a time limit.

6. WishIhadaManafi5

McConnell truly is a piece of work. He blocks almost everything. Exactly. They want things to serve them. If it even can remotely serve those less fortunate, they shoot it down. Yep, and I wouldn't put it past him to try to stall things in order to try to run out that clock.

Gamzee Makara likes this.
  7. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

As of this hour, Turkish army has started air assault to invade Northern Syria as a result of Trump's announcement of withdrawal. Obviously this will spillover to Turkey itself, as Kurds no longer have any reason to avoid conflict with Turkish civilians.

With this invasion, Erdoğan's declining popularity will surely rise again which will ensure victory in the next election, but Turkish economy will start destabilizing again as well.

As a minor effect, the goodwill main opposition party of Turkey, CHP, gained last election will erode, as they have no means to officially to be against this invasion for avoiding conflict with their traditional pro-secular military base.

tl;dr Turkey will return to being an open warzone like the 1990s and Erdoğan will remain in power for 2028-2033.

8. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

And this also mean the treat that trump made wasn’t taking seriously by turkey since they like the rest of the world realized that he is a lolcow.

Trainer Yusuf likes this.
  9. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

^Essentially yes, but this also goes for other Republicans like Lindsey Graham. Turkey sees this is as a larger power projection against other ME players like Iran, Saudis, Israel as well as global powers like China and Russia.

10. bobjr

Rip to the Kurds, left to die for two shitty towers in Istanbul

Trainer Yusuf and wolf jani like this.
  11. bobjr

12. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

^This isn't surprising because:
    **Graham had previously tried to woo the Turks with a free trade agreement in the previous invasion of Afrin after showing the same bravado here.
    **Kurds in Syria are literally anarcho-communists and anti-fascists, and the main reason Trump decided to pull out of Syria is to restart the war with Assad by sending the jihadists.

Nonetheless, it is nice to see Graham's (and other Republican senators) humanity has superseded his rotten personality.

Edit (13.10.2019): Assad and Kurds came to agreement, both sides seek to recover the occupied territories (which are the territories occupied by Turkey and its proxies), which means we will see a long proxy war between Syria and Turkey. This will continue the Syrian Civil War for another 5 years from its natural 10 year life span, meaning a true end will likely come in 2026.

While this is politically terrible for Kurds, militarily this is the best possible solution for now, unless Trump is removed from the office in 2020.

Hard to say how it will effect Turkish internal politics, but this will likely convince Erdoğan to have an early election to get the nationalist wind in his back.

Edit(17.10.2019): After almost of a week of fighting, Trump managed to broker a ceasefire. Ceasefire's conditions are basically impossible, though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 7:10 PM
  13. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Elijah Cummings, chairman of the House Oversight Committee, died today. He was 68.

14. WishIhadaManafi5

RIP Mr. Cummings and thanks.

wolf jani likes this.
  15. bobjr

So all the U.S. Troops are just getting rerouted to Iraq, not being sent home. It's hard to look some stuff up on twitter unless you like seeing people stoned, beheaded, or other crimes against basic humanity, but this is probably the deathblow for positive U.S. relations in the area. We left our allies to genocide and let ISIS go free, and I don't know how you repair things now.