• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Uh, you literally just flat out ignored the part where I said we aren't saying China played the only role. America played a large role by completely ignoring the precautions laid out by the WHO.

Something being a part of your "identity" doesn't make it immune from criticism, nor is that criticism bigoted or racist. You can attach lots of harmful beliefs/practices to your identity.

Posts like yours are what remind people that there is still is an air headed regressive left that actually exists beyond Sam Harris's imagination.
I moved past that. YOu're still blaming China PRIMARILY and othering them as a result.

"Parts of their identity aren't immune to criticism and I'm not being racist" is a classic justification for hatred, in case you didn't know.

Another classic hateful thing to say right out of the alt-right. You are justifying the "Yellow Peril" mentality that keeps popping up.
I really hate to get into the conversation, but...

It's not scientically unheard of to link a disease to an ethnicity, culture, or practice (or a combination).

It's like saying that a lot of people in sub-Saharan Africa have sickle cell anemia, which is true.
The WHO ACTIVELY tells doctors NOT to do this. Not to profile, be racist, or pin blame. The CDC is part of the Trump administration. It's no longer a viable source of info.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The WHO ACTIVELY tells doctors NOT to do this. Not to profile, be racist, or pin blame. The CDC is part of the Trump administration. It's no longer a viable source of info.
I think the CDC acts independently from Trumplicans.

But let's say they don't, it's still scientifically feasible to look at an ethnicity, culture, or practice and look at problems that arise from them.

Let me give you an example I know about.

Frog consumption has a significant impact on the frog population. Exports in India caused declines. When they banned those exports, they then were coming from Indonesia and Bangladesh, causing those declines. These are countries that can be attributed to frog declines, which can cause environmental consequences.

This is really no different than saying that South Korea has a problem with dog consumption. This doesn't mean that all South Koreans eat dogs. This doesn't mean South Korea as a whole should be blamed. This is not saying South Koreans are lesser people. This is saying that there is a problem within the country with dog consumption.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I think the CDC acts independently from Trumplicans.

But let's say they don't, it's still scientifically feasible to look at an ethnicity, culture, or practice and look at problems that arise from them.

Let me give you an example I know about.

Frog consumption has a significant impact on the frog population. Exports in India caused declines. When they banned those exports, they then were coming from Indonesia and Bangladesh, causing those declines. These are countries that can be attributed to frog declines, which can cause environmental consequences.

This is really no different than saying that South Korea has a problem with dog consumption. This doesn't mean that all South Koreans eat dogs. This doesn't mean South Korea as a whole should be blamed. This is not saying South Koreans are lesser people. This is saying that there is a problem within the country with dog consumption.
Stereotypes are bad and harmful. End of discussion.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
2020 Democratic National Convention has been rescheduled to August 17-20, 2020 from July 13-16.

Wisconsin primary remains in April 7th, but absentee ballots will be allowed until April 13th.

Puerto Rico primary has been delayed for a future date that will be announced later.

Poke Trainer J

As far as the Stay-at-Home order by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention goes, I have a terrible suspicion that it's being dragged out on purpose in order to manufacture the COVID-19 Pandemic for political gain. Where are all the bodies? Where are all the families and funerals for lost loved ones? By the time a vaccine / cure is readily available for the general public there won't be a global economy left. A lot of Americans are expecting the economy to open back up in two months by which the 2.2 trillion Stimulus bill that the U.S. Government passed is set to expire so they'll have to release another Stimulus package to keep the economy going. How long are they going to be able to keep this up until everything falls apart?

I get why we need to "flatten the curve" to combat COVID-19 though what If it doesn't work by the time it reaches it's peak by next month or later? While there would be more clinical patients diagnosed with the virus If not for social distancing a lot of hospitals and medical centers would be more out of supplies and equipment to treat patients than they already are. It's already gotten to a point where the doctors and nurses are forced to make the painful choice of choosing to save one life over another. I don't think we've seen this happen since the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic where we were less equipped to tackle the problem as we're slightly more prepared now due to technological advances for over a century.

Poke Trainer J

I think the real question here is are we going to come out of this crisis back to how things were or are there going to be new standards in place similar to what happened after 9/11? How much of our civil liberties are we willing to sacrifice? It just seems like the more these types of events occur the more power we willingly surrender to our governments. Whatever happened to free will? Sure my country took more precautionary measures after 9/11 in the fight against global terrorism but it wasn't extreme to the point where it thrust the U.S. economy in free fall. What exactly are the long term effects of a COVID-19 Lockdown?

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Less dead people.

Poke Trainer J

Less dead people.
That's pretty obvious. But at what cost?

"Give me liberty, or give me death." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
I mean if people are unwilling to make little temporary sacrifices for the good of mankind maybe it is impossible to better ourselves as a group. If the scale is "Please stay home and don't infect people vs. go out and unknowingly spread disease", some power has to be used for the former just because that is the burden of power and responsibility, to make a hard choice people might not like.

But when they make stuff permanent then maybe you can get worried, but we're literally in a once in a century event here. Be more angry the federal government is selling valuable medical devices to private companies so individual states can bid on them, which is directly killing people right now.

Poke Trainer J

I mean if people are unwilling to make little temporary sacrifices for the good of mankind maybe it is impossible to better ourselves as a group. If the scale is "Please stay home and don't infect people vs. go out and unknowingly spread disease", some power has to be used for the former just because that is the burden of power and responsibility, to make a hard choice people might not like.

But when they make stuff permanent then maybe you can get worried, but we're literally in a once in a century event here. Be more angry the federal government is selling valuable medical devices to private companies so individual states can bid on them, which is directly killing people right now.
China's already losing the narrative war in the midst of this crisis as they're purposefully giving people masks that are already infected with the virus. I also recently heard that the U.N. Security Council is looking into holding China accountable for war crimes against humanity through bio-terrorism. I know the U.S. Government can be shady a lot of times but given how corrupt the Chinese Government is I wouldn't trust them with big pharmaceutical companies EVER again. Not in a Post COVID-19 world.

What COVID-19 did was expose the fragile relationship between the United States and China where China's been taking advantage of the United States for FAR too long economically. So much so that the Trump Administration got into a trade war with China by implementing tariffs as a way to keep them under control so to speak. Personally I think a revolution is coming in China where it's citizens are finally standing up against the communist rule of Xi Jinping. He's finally being exposed as the dictator he truly is similar to what we saw with Saddam Hussein in Iraq and Muammar Gaddafi in Libya.

bobjr

Staff member
China isn't communist, it's a weird mix of state-sponsored capitalism combined with complete government control. I'd argue you can't have a truly communist nation on that size and level in the first place, unless it's some kind of Democratic Confederacy maybe? Even then on a national level it would be a organizational aspect.

But the U.S. won't give up on China until we have proper labor power and worker's rights, which events like this should push those for direct action. China doesn't take advantage of the U.S., they just give them the option and the rich take it every time, and will move jobs/resources to be there instead.

Also ask the people in Iraq and Libya today how things are working out and how they feel about the U.S. today, you'll get some unkind answers.

Poke Trainer J

China isn't communist, it's a weird mix of state-sponsored capitalism combined with complete government control. I'd argue you can't have a truly communist nation on that size and level in the first place, unless it's some kind of Democratic Confederacy maybe? Even then on a national level it would be a organizational aspect.
So George Orwell's 1984 or Aldous Huxley's Brave New World?

bobjr

Staff member
I mean those are fictional works so I don't know what to tell you, other than that power corrupts and those born into it are the most likely to abuse it, so the most responsible system is one that punishes those at that level the most.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
COVID19 is a complete cluster.... none of the countries that get it deserve it but some leaders are mismanaging it worse than others. i know tRump is petty as heck but him hoarding the masks for USA only is petty as hell. i guess we should expect even more unimaginable rash decisions from him as the virus only gets worse for USA...

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The only nation that is going to benefit from this is the Republic of China. Had the Republic of China believed the People's Republic of China, the international community would have lumped them together with the PRC ineptitude since they would just see them as part of the PRC and not Taiwan. Since they handled this so well, their schools and jobs are still running mind you, this would greatly benefit their status on the international community as an autonomous nation.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...