• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Several of the people who voted no have promised to vote yes for it before and ran on it as a campaign issue, so it’s natural to be upset at them for breaking a supposed promise.

Stop telling people to do better while providing cover for those responsible in the moment, it’s getting old.

Besides, you don’t know what they’re doing or not.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Several of the people who voted no have promised to vote yes for it before and ran on it as a campaign issue, so it’s natural to be upset at them for breaking a supposed promise.

Stop telling people to do better while providing cover for those responsible in the moment, it’s getting old.

Besides, you don’t know what they’re doing or not.
You're assuming I condone and handwave away the shitty behavior of shitty politicians.

I don't.

I just think people should be doing more than talking online to put pressure on these scumbags.

Because they feel invincible unless people are literally at their doorstep with a permit to protest in one hand and a looping recording of their shitty behavior in the other, standing there in front of their bedroom window all night, reminding the liars of what they did and didn't do. In this case, all 8 of them.

THAT's what I mean by "Do better".

Online buzz does NOTHING until it is manifested in real life. A luxury for sure, but you have to spend money to make more money in this case.

bobjr

Staff member
That's the thing though, you say that like people who post here do nothing but that, when there's no evidence to that claim.

It comes off like you're more upset that people are upset rather than several politicians breaking a campaign promise.

Sometimes also people need to vent at shitty behavior from other people, and trust me from experience, these people don't answer their phones or read letters, it's usually an unpaid intern.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Am I missing something here? Wouldn't the increased tax just replace the money people already pay for insurance? Are people worried that the cost would be higher than what they already pay? Or am I just not understanding how we would pay for Medicare for All?
Look, I'm not saying that a lot of Americans lack object permanence, but...

(It's rather a lack of logical reasoning skills. And a hatred of taxes because the relationship between Americans and the government is often one that is seen as adversarial on various levels. It's why the "taxation is theft" people aren't laughed off the street.)

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
That's the thing though, you say that like people who post here do nothing but that, when there's no evidence to that claim.

It comes off like you're more upset that people are upset rather than several politicians breaking a campaign promise.

Sometimes also people need to vent at shitty behavior from other people, and trust me from experience, these people don't answer their phones or read letters, it's usually an unpaid intern.
I'm damn angry at the situation. And I lack the funds(for 3 days and nights of gas, food, lodging, supplies, permit fees and new shoes(I calc'd it out)) to do the things I feel I must.

I just temper my expectations and know that this kind of thing happens all the time.

I compare it to the BDSP and Legends backlash: People's headcanon didn't match the demands that were limited to the Twitter word count, and they're mad.

There's always a few traitors/imposters, because politics isn't an online echo chamber or a hive mind, and people aren't one-note personalities, despite what social media teaches people about humanity, psychology and sociology. People need to stop acting surprised when practitioners of a shitty job act as such.

Hold them in contempt and accountable, but actually hold them as such. The unpaid intern getting lambasted isn't gonna change anything.

And instant reactions cloud judgement and critical thinking IMO. I prefer to do that offline, so I can discuss with a cooler head.

EDIT:How do I turn off Smiles permanently?

bobjr

Staff member
I mean I'm not sure why speculation about a Pokemon game is the same as a direct campaign promise. One is people making up what something theoretically will be, the other is direct words and actions you can point to.

Take for example, I helped Jess Scarane in her primary against Chris Coons, who ran on progressive measures like 15 dollar minimum wage and Medicare for all, and it got good results talking to people. Starting in the summer, his campaign came out in support of those items, so it hurt because "Why would I vote for someone else when the current person says they will do it?" And today he showed he doesn't want to do it, it was just a lie to protect him from losing votes to someone else.

This isn't an echo chamber, it's about someone doing the job they said they would. If they don't they should 100% be the target of anger and frustration when they don't do it.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Wow, **** Mitch McConnell. I mean, that's not new.

But also, Joe "Worth $7.6 million as of 2018 and has never had to live the life of a poor person or likely ever see one" Manchin's reasoning is that he, like a dumb asshole, thinks $400 a week will make people less inclined to look for work. "Interestingly" this is coming up not long after it's been noted that, over in Stockton, California, where they've been experimenting with UBI, people with money for their basic necessities tend to continue to look for work and are more successful in finding it. So like, maybe Joe Mansion should do some ****ing homework, or own up to the fact that he also wants to kill the poor but he prefers the letter D to the letter R.

bobjr

Staff member
Fun fact every Dem Senator who voted against the minimum wage increase is a multi-millionaire.

Also less than 10% of elected people to represent us on the national level represent the bottom 95% income wise. AOC is one of them.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Fun fact every Dem Senator who voted against the minimum wage increase is a multi-millionaire.

Also less than 10% of elected people to represent us on the national level represent the bottom 95% income wise. AOC is one of them.
BIG CAMPAIGNS NEED BIG MONEY!

Says politicians after Citizens United.

Someone wanna try and overturn that?

The Squad is proof against the Hollywood budget most politicians take in for personal riches and advertising.

And people fall for big advertising and subtle marketing of politicians because it's the Hollywood effect.

The issues are quadernary to politicians compared to the pizazz, ego boosting and money from elections.

Because we're all manipulated into accepting it.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
You're denying that a good chunk tried to at least get the 15. The 58 do not speak for the rest. Please stop quoting that "electoralism is dead" meme. It sounds like you want to take away freedom of choice in voting.

And if you want better, do more than be angry and mopey online.

Do more than protest.

Do something substantial and permanant.

Electoralism is dead because not enough people who actually care get elected and on top of that the system continues to be corrupt no matter which party is in charge. Both parties are bought and owned by the corporations and wealthy, the GOP just wouldn't think twice of calling me a slur to my face when denying me healthcare. The Dems would just wait until I'd left the room to call me a slur.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that progressive policy sure never came because the people were being non-violent.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Everyone is awful...everyone is awful...everyone is awful except me and the other mes because every other human in the world is a one-dimensional boogeyman.

bobjr

Staff member
The risk is it's a bit hard not to be doomery when their big one shot of the year (since lol filibuster is still in effect) is such a ****ing joke. Like, it's literally an ACA repeat, it's gonna help some people but leave a lot in the cold, the GOP will point to every single flaw and spend the next year screaming at the top of their lungs it's a failure and a **** ton of people will just tune out and not care about voting in the midterms to save the guys who left them out in the cold.

Of course I could be wrong and the GOP corrects to being mad about Dr. Seuss or whatever, but the fundamental lessons are still there.

Last edited:

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
The risk is it's a bit hard not to be doomery when their big one shot of the year (since lol filibuster is still in effect) is such a ****ing joke. Like, it's literally an ACA repeat, it's gonna help some people but leave a lot in the cold, the GOP will point to every single flaw and spend the next year screaming at the top of their lungs it's a failure and a **** ton of people will just tune out and not care about voting in the midterms to save the guys who left them out in the cold.

Of course I could be wrong and the GOP corrects to being mad about Dr. Seuss or whatever, but the fundamental lessons are still there.
The problem with doomer mentality is that it assumes the doomer is "better" most of the time.

Which creates the very disconnect that causes non-caring.

The world isn't just sunshine and roses, for sure, but reducing everybody to bugbears isn't going to help.

People don't want to get involved because they're afraid of being reduced, boiled down and turned into a tale to frighten people in the night because of what they believe, which is the very same thing doomers hate. Hence the current boogeyman that is "cancellation". People and things deserve consequences, but small victories come at the cost of turning away involvement for fear of public shaming and rotten vegetable throwing in the social media stocks. Because they don't know whether they prematurely angered Twitter/Tumblr over something they didn't know and had no natural curiosity to find out if it was a problematic behavior due to their life before they even interacted with somebody who would find their behavior problematic(Not everybody Googles "is thing/person problematic/bad" constantly to an obsessive point, and don't like to be subsequently told that liking thing makes you Basically Satan and Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds), or were simply branded as a lolcow by 4chan for being any kind of emotionally invested being(Unless you pay the meme and cruelty taxes). With submission to a higher cause and penance required to earn the Tribe of the Holier-Than-Thou(in either Lefter or Religiously Holier divisions) or the sacred Pepe's good graces via their chosen representatives in the meaty and digital realms.

Yes, I feel that that doomer culture, and its public shaming everyone that does not doom subdivision, has a certain fanatical religious-esque fervor to it, which preachers or pundits seize upon and perpetuate to get money off of unhealthy individuals.

This occurs across the board.

And it is often done by people who badly need mental health treatment for severe depression and/or being unchecked narcissists more than social media time.

Doomers need help. Because they aren't doing this kind of thing naturally or purely altruistically, even though the mentally and socially justify it as such(Very few people throughout history do it to help). It's symptomatic a mental health crisis of pandemic proportions that people profit off of.

Because "everyone is awful except me or the mes out there, and the mes are better because the mes are not them" is the only universally socially acceptable mentality anymore, and it's profitable.

(IGNORANCE ISN'T AN EXCUSE, but assuming everybody naturally and habitually knows that and/or searches for "thing I like or may be getting invested in problematic/bad" is dangerously presumptive, and assumes this as not only a natural compulsion by healthy people, but that it is taught early everywhere.)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

nel3

Crimson Dragon
So the turtle is going kaput lads (well, sort of....)

That's predictable but I don't think the younger person will be any better than him. At least he saw the writing on the wall after being recently re elected.

BGMaxie

That's predictable but I don't think the younger person will be any better than him. At least he saw the writing on the wall after being recently re elected.
Depends on your definition of "better". McConnell is a really really skilled politician, his baggage is not something easily copied, even if his potential successors are close to him. He's his own brand of awfulness in general, and I've spoken with some people and from what I'm told McConnell is ironically the reason that Kentucky's Democrat Governor has been elected, so depending on how things develop, it could turn Kentucky bluer in fact.

Whoever succeeds him in the senate, I doubt they'll be as skilled as him in general in the arts of shitty politics.