• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Mordent99

Banned
Here's a more scientific poll.

I can't believe someone thinks anonymous means accurate or reliable.

Sadib, don't give Trump's supporters too much credit. They actually think emails that were stolen and supplied by Julian Assange (a known fugitive) can be made admissible in court.

And the story I provided was not about a poll, it was about an ap. (They trust a mindless computer more than an actual pundit.)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Sadib, don't give Trump's supporters too much credit. They actually think emails that were stolen and supplied by Julian Assange (a known fugitive) can be made admissible in court.

And the story I provided was not about a poll, it was about an ap. (They trust a mindless computer more than an actual pundit.)

Honestly, even if they gave prosecutors a smoking gun, Hillary would likely walk and everyone would say it was a 'conspiracy theory'. Let's not pretend the outcome would be different. That's the beauty of being the top Presidential candidate. You're basically untouchable. Anyone else did the things she's done, they would be in prison or worse. But not her.

As I said though, the only way to fix it is to replace everyone who's currently in positions of power. They keep saying GOP leaders need to ditch Trump and go with someone else. First of all, that ship has sailed. Second, ditching one person isn't going to fix it. Voters need to ditch all of them and start over. But that is highly unlikely to ever happen, because that would require a fundamental change in political beliefs.

So I pretty much just sit back and watch the train wreck that is American politics.

Last edited:

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious

Is Assange aware that all his hard work is making it more difficult to convict Clinton because those emails could have been found legally if it wasn't for him. Oh well. Either way, Clinton will have him assassinated.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
So Donald Trump has declared himself 'Mr Brexit' on twitter. If by that, he means he embodies the mass xenophobia and lies told during the EU referendum in favour of Brexit, then he's absolutely right.

If by that, he means he will be willing to give good trade deals to the UK in light of Brexit, then that may be the first positive and progressive policy he's put forward so far, coming from this British user.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Sooo....Trump is the culmination of rage of white, neo-isolationist *******s who feel that any political event that doesn't go their way is an attack on their freedoms?

Yeah, I can see that.

Mordent99

Banned
Honestly, even if they gave prosecutors a smoking gun, Hillary would likely walk and everyone would say it was a 'conspiracy theory'. Let's not pretend the outcome would be different. That's the beauty of being the top Presidential candidate. You're basically untouchable. Anyone else did the things she's done, they would be in prison or worse. But not her.

You think she gets special treatment because she's a politician? Welcome to America, bub. Reagan got through the Iran-Contra scandal with no punishment except making a public apology, which took the Republican Party about two months to forget about..

As I said though, the only way to fix it is to replace everyone who's currently in positions of power. They keep saying GOP leaders need to ditch Trump and go with someone else. First of all, that ship has sailed. Second, ditching one person isn't going to fix it. Voters need to ditch all of them and start over. But that is highly unlikely to ever happen, because that would require a fundamental change in political beliefs

You aren't the first one to say that, you likely won't be the last, but nobody ever does anything about it.

Is Assange aware that all his hard work is making it more difficult to convict Clinton because those emails could have been found legally if it wasn't for him. Oh well. Either way, Clinton will have him assassinated.

i found THIS story in my Facebook Memories section today, it's from 2014:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...s=630914337006370&fb_action_types=og.comments

Two years ago. Guess what? He's still there.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
You aren't the first one to say that, you likely won't be the last, but nobody ever does anything about it.

Well, when you're right, you're right. And therein lies the problem. The only way it would ever happen is if the entire country woke up simultaneously.

And it's an unfortunate fact of life that it usually takes something really bad happening for people to have the slightest chance of waking up. People never do anything about anything until bad things happen. Nobody's proactive anymore. They're only reactive. And I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

This is why what I suggested (which is the best course to fix this mess) is such a tall order.

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned
SBaby, I know exactly what the problem is.

Each election cycle, everyone yells, "throw the bums out!"

Thing is, everyone has grown a little too attached to their own bum to get rid of him.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Okay, I hadn't checked this for a while. Time to reply.

John Madden said:
1) Immigration policy is not limited to refugee policy; on the broader front we're indisputably further to the left of everyone in Europe, or did I miss DACA and DAPA?
Points to the US when it's due, but I think the response to the likes of Syrian refugees carries more weight on where a party is placed on the left-right (or liberal-conservative) axis. They are a bigger red flag to the right than the programs you mentioned.

2) Reading comprehension is important: further left than anyone but Germany.
Alright, let's try reading comprehension:
John Madden said:
on immigration? the Dems are arguably further left than any major party in the EU. only Germany even comes close to our Overton window, and that's arguably because a grand coalition is currently in government.
You were saying Germany is close to the Dems but not close to the left of them, close to the right of them.

John Madden said:
You'd think the private sector would have a win rate of more than 40% (and that they'd ever win more than damages incurred by regulation, and that they'd have ever won a case against the US) if those courts were actually "run by the corporate lobby".

Those processes, while in need of improvement with regards to transparency and appellate mechanisms, are legitimate.
Legitimate in what sense? In line with international law? Or actually making right decisions, whatever they may be? Of course I wasn't talking about legal legitimacy.

Arbitrators in investor-state dispute settlement tribunals tend to have close ties to big corporations. Okay, it grants them experience on the subject, but that doesn't change the fact that those ties are there.

Why should corporations even win the full damages incurred by regulation if the regulation is the right thing to do? Why should we assume that full damages = fair outcome? What's the logic here?

A 40 % win rate is low compared to... what exactly? What's your comparison point? And there are many reasons why the US might not lose. Maybe its legislation is friendlier to big companies to begin with.

Thus far, this appears to be the only substantive area of economic policy on which the Democratic Party is actually "further to the right" than its international center-left counterparts - and even then the party's deeply split with regards to whether they actually want to pass trade agreements like the TPP that entrench US IP interests.
e: Also, I forgot to add this to that earlier post - but, like, the IP and corporate-national arbitration segments of the TPP are precisely what's getting it torpedoed by the Sanders (and now Clinton) wing of the party.
"Deeply split" meaning how many? And I mean in terms of actual action, not just lip service. E.g. Hillary is now against the deal or at least some aspects of it, but are we really supposed to assume this flip-flop is genuine?

But alright, maybe a large number of Dems will vote against it in Congress. Anything's possible; I guess we'll see.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/gFzxbJ3.jpg[/img139]
He doesn't need to tell me that "abortion and guns and LGBT issues" are not economic issues, strictly speaking, and yet he still did anyway!
I didn't bring it up because I thought you didn't know the difference. I brought it up because you changed the subject.
John Madden said:
"she's a centrist/conservative on economic issues!"
John Madden said:
the only kind of person in america with the ideological room to legitimately call hillary clinton "conservative" on economic issues is so far left that history has already rendered them irrelevant
You only brought in other forms of right-wingness afterwards. Nothing wrong with it per se, but they have nothing to do with my original point (or evidently yours either).

Yeah, let's focus on the area of policy where the entirety of Europe - sans the UK, which has tended to take the "let's be America's lapdog" approach since Thatcher - has decided "cede peacekeeping authority to North America" is the way to go.

Or, y'know, let's not.
I'm not trying to argue about when noninterventionism is a good idea and when not. That is irrelevant to whether it's a leftist or socially liberal position.

John Madden said:
]Neither are many of continental Europe's systems - but in any event, the ACA framework allows for the federal government to eventually move to something similar to any of them.
The Democrats had filibuster-proof control of Congress for approximately a month. They spent that month negotiating the ACA.

But you're welcome to explain, to the guy with an MPA, that they had more room to negotiate potentially contentious policy than they actually did!
It's saying that they could've done more than they actually did that's putting me firmly in "condescending dick" mode, because, like, even an entry-level undergrad public policy class would give you the impression that they were lucky to get what they did given the sheer number of stakeholders they needed to work with and the sheer breadth of ideological difference in the pre-2010 Democratic Party.

This is not a parliament; whipping is not quite as efficient even when the parties are more ideologically homogeneous, and the Sanders/CPC wing vs the Blue Dogs/Lieberman are definitely not what I would describe anywhere near being "ideologically homogeneous". So he should probably stop acting like we are one.
There were negotiations, yes, but with whom? With Dems who didn't support single-payer or a public option.

You're right about the Dems being more loose as a political coalition than most left-wing parties, much of which is because of the election system. But that only proves my point. You can't be a real left-wing party if you're not ideologically homogeneous enough and much of the ideological mass is center-right.

Like, what were you even trying to contest with me? If your position is that the Dems are a loose coalition of various center-left, centrist and center-right forces, then congrats, you're right! That's perfectly compatible with my argument.

But also I'm dropping credentials again because, well... we're reading the same posts, right? Because he seems like he's still coming at me like I don't know anything about the different types of policy or how we differ from our European counterparts in, like, every field. He doesn't need to tell me that "abortion and guns and LGBT issues" are not economic issues, strictly speaking, and yet he still did anyway!
The problem is that the credentials are irrelevant for that.

For the record, I don't think your political knowledge is the problem. It's about logic and argumentation.

GhostAnime said:
that's pretty much his shtick. inject Europe in every US election topic somehow and usually going way over his head about how US Politics actually works.
Dude, I was contesting your logic more than political knowledge. Like, "the US system is the best because I won't compare it with anything else"? Really?

This is why when you e.g. demanded figures of the Hispanic population, I said it wasn't what I was talking about. Because it clearly wasn't!

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Not sure where you got that quote from. I don't remember ever saying that unless it's just an unfair assumption of my reasoning in which case, sure. Whatever makes you get dat democracy

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It actually makes sense if you understand that this is basically his sales pitch to poor white Americans.

The problem is that Black people actually know what they have to lose.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Not sure where you got that quote from. I don't remember ever saying that unless it's just an unfair assumption of my reasoning in which case, sure. Whatever makes you get dat democracy
I was paraphrasing. I can't exactly copypaste all the quotes here because it would make a wall of text, but here's the general idea.

(I had given empirical examples on FPTP and proportional representation.)
GhostAnime said:
... Okay, let me say this at least... the two party system and the electoral college are two separate issues. I'm not sure what I'm debating here anymore as we've kind of mix and matched both issues into one without differentiating between the two.

The electoral college is not what's "encouraging" the two-party system. The electoral college is simply how votes are tallied and impacted.
(You also said electoral college helps with local representation, while I said that if you care about it, you need to scrap the whole presidential system.)
(You refused to talk about the 12th amendment, the absence of a second round, etc. etc.)
Aegiscalibur said:
What were the previous misunderstandings? Because earlier I didn't hear any counterargument of real substance from you, just ignoring any and all foreign examples. (And of course the examples are foreign because we're trying to compare to the US to begin with! You can't compare something with itself and expect a meaningful result.)
GhostAnime said:
idk what to tell you bruh. I never spoke about any of this and not sure how it relates to our system. Not interested in talking about others.
Aegiscalibur said:
You said, "not sure how it relates to our system, not interested in talking about others." Why are you still talking about the merits of the US system then? Without a comparison point a system is the best by default and the stuff you're saying is meaningless.
Your idea that tactical voting doesn't exist is ridiculous to begin with and plain ignorance of US elections. There are people in this very thread saying "don't vote for third parties, it's a vote for Trump." At least acknowledge things that are happening right in front of you.

But more ridiculous is the idea of refusing to compare the US system to anything. How do you know what works and what doesn't if you don't compare?

Imagine if a Chinese guy walked in and told you their one-party election system is awesome because he wouldn't compare it to anything. Authoritarian regime? Total coincidence! Better systems? That's all irrelevant, lol!

To be fair, you did give it a shot at one point:
GhostAnime said:
We simply have more people running in our primaries because unlike most countries, our parties actually have anybody run. They're not really chosen automatically.
Aegiscalibur said:
Out of the western countries that have presidents, most have a ceremonial role, not executive. You don't need primaries in a parliamentary election under proportional representation, especially if it's open-list.
But your point about primaries is nonsensical and suggests you don't know how elections in most of these "most countries" actually work.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
SBaby, I know exactly what the problem is.

Each election cycle, everyone yells, "throw the bums out!"

Thing is, everyone has grown a little too attached to their own bum to get rid of him.

And that's also because everyone is reactive. They're not proactive. They always wait for something to happen before they respond, and historically that never ends well. Because when they finally get around to reacting, they overreact.

There are Americans right now that want the US to repeal entire sections of the Constitution because of things that have happened. This is not proactivity. This is the result of a reaction to events. And like I said, it's an overreaction.

There are people that want to outright ban all violent video games from the market. Again, this is in reaction to events. And again, it's an overreaction.

There are people that want to police social media, because they're reacting to events.

This is also why there are so many millennial Americans that still support Trump. Because they are being reactive to the current status quo which they feel has done nothing for years. So they react, and like the other examples, they're overreacting because they see no other way out of it.

Once this election is done, people will react to it just like everything else, and the cycle will start again. With more reactions, overreactions and restrictions, until eventually the big one happens that completely destroys the country.

This is why being reactive and not proactive is scary, and can be dangerous. We're seeing it result in the destruction of the GOP as we know it right now (I think the GOP members are realizing it too now, but it's too little too late).

Last edited:

Remix2

The only way to fix it is with a complete sweep of the incumbents in Congress, and to replace them all with fresh new faces that won't do the same thing as their predecessors. I think Democracy itself will fall before that happens (it's actually pretty close to falling as is, but that's beside the point).

That easier said then done since the unfortunate reality about the senate race is that who ever have the most bride money wins.

And speaking of which, Patrick Murphy dad basically bought him a senate seat.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...es-dad-chips-in-1-million-to-senate-super-pac

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Trump makes me think of the scenario where you tell your friend a secret, only for him to blather it off.

Trump puts conservative ideology into a conceivable meaning. By that, I mean that he actually will materialize the rhetoric.
Trumps loudmouth ideas aren't always his; he grabs some Republican ideas, and phrases it in a way that could be conceived.
They are impractical, but he doesn't just say Muslims are bad; he insists that we should bar them from the US.

Though Trump's celebrity branding didn't hurt him at all, the Republican's basically gave him something to yell about.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...