• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Yes, you totally are allowed to complain even if you don't vote. And no one's there to stop you.

I don't know why people keep saying this, because it's outright silly. Having the right to vote includes being able to choose not to vote at all. No where it is written that you forfeit your right to question and criticize the system if you refuse to vote.

You're allowed to complain that the only candidates that stand any conceivable chance of winning are both scum and lack the integrity, leadership, and honesty to be the USA's next presidential leader. You can also refuse to vote basing that choice on your disgust that you either have to vote for one of them and essentially be in part responsible for all of their actions, or essentially throw your vote away on a party that realistically will not win by any odds.

Not voting (which is what I'm doing) can be done on the basis that it is your full and complete rejection of the only viable candidates and to express full dissatisfaction of the system that is in place.

No matter who wins tomorrow, do you think that's going to stop me from complaining and questioning leadership if I see said elected official partaking in activity that I feel is wrong, unprofessional, and dishonest? It certainly won't.

What reason is there to believe that the candidate that has over 30 years of experience lacks leadership?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
There's a reason Trump spent a portion of the cycle courting Bernie supporters, and it wasn't because he actually thought he could get them on his side. Not voting out of some misguided principle is exactly what Trump would want, because that's one less vote he has to worry about going for Clinton (and the same can be said vice versa).

This election is indeed a zero-sum game. A non-vote is currently a vote for Trump given national poll numbers.

If Glenn Beck, of all people, can stomach it and vote, anyone can.

And come talk to me about 3rd Parties having no chance in Presidential elections after there's a sizable third party coalition in state, local, and federal seats.

If Trump wins, I will let any migrators hang around our village if they need to. We have a pub that sells food, and nice countryside, and I'm readying the vegetable knife and the serrated bread knife in case Trump decides to touch our neighbourhood. In the UK, you should be safe.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It's a weird thing where people see Hillary Clinton's ambitiousness and see that as a bad thing, but for all the other candidates it was a good thing or a non factor. Like I agree this is an image thing for her in the sense that she really wants to be president, but there's no way she's going to abuse or betray her party, so as long as she has that support she'll be fine.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Just one last thing before the storm actually begins, I pray Trump's supporters are aware that at least half of the nonsense this guy skews can't legal/financially happen.

He only sounds great right now.

I don't like Hilary either at all, but at least she's got a clue of what a President can do.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
It's good to see some people still don't care about anyone but themselves.

It's a weird thing where people see Hillary Clinton's ambitiousness and see that as a bad thing, but for all the other candidates it was a good thing or a non factor.

You're right, sexism is weird. I mean, I think the technical term is "****ing vile," but I'd accept "weird" on Jeopardy!, where you're not allowed to say the f-word.

Just one last thing before the storm actually begins, I pray Trump's supporters are aware that at least half of the nonsense this guy skews can't legal/financially happen.

He only sounds great right now.

I don't like Hilary either at all, but at least she's got a clue of what a President can do.

These people still think Barack Obama is a Kenyan Muslim. Reality does not suit them.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
You're right, sexism is weird. I mean, I think the technical term is "****ing vile," but I'd accept "weird" on Jeopardy!, where you're not allowed to say the f-word.

Well it's more I can't tell how much of it is sexism vs. 30 years of negative propaganda. It's obviously both though.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Well it's more I can't tell how much of it is sexism vs. 30 years of negative propaganda. It's obviously both though.

Here's an interesting article about sexism in politics: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-we-dont-know-how-much-sexism-is-hurting-clintons-campaign/. I think the general conclusion is that sexism affects women before they decide to run, hence the disparate numbers at local, state, and national positions. However, once it comes down to actually running a campaign, the conclusions are murky or party-affiliation becomes more important for voters. So, ultimately, it's difficult to quantify and the article makes no conclusions, but the overall questions are interesting to consider.

Hillary's poll numbers are making a slight positive uptick right before election day, according to fivethirtyeight.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I could play a drinking game where I take a shot for every time someone says "No matter who wins, we lose" without any substance to back it up.

I'd probably be comatose in 20 minutes, but hey, no guts no glory.

Even if Clinton wins, Trump's support base isn't simply going to "go away". There are still underlying problems here that need to be addressed, or else these people are going to keep resurfacing every election until they finally ram a candidate through the election process. This is what concerns me more than anything when it comes to the Trump campaign. Everyone's biting their nails over what's going to happen if he wins, especially to women and minorities, but there are checks and balances in place to limit the amount of damage he can do on that front (although I do agree the idea of another conservative fundamentalist Christian as a supreme court justice leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth). What worries me is what happens if he doesn't win. Is the movement that's built up around him simply going to lose steam and evaporate into the political wind, or is it going to continue to grow, perhaps to a point where they could easily get a candidate of their choice elected in 2020? I can't see the former happening, now it's just a matter of figuring out what we can do to prevent the latter.

I think a nice place to start would be to stop generalizing his support base so much. As I've already said, some of them are racist, sexist, and just about every other nasty quality in the book, but many of them are not. Misguided? Maybe. But not as evil or hateful as a lot of people seem to think. Generalizing them as so only leads to them feeling further marginalized (and don't give me any BS about the irony of white men feeling marginalized please), which is only going to exacerbate the problem. Saying things like "Trump supporters hate minorities" is only going to make the problem worse in the long run, so you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

I call BS. I believe in calling a spade a spade. It's not generalization to assume that easily over half of Trump's supporters are outwardly racist and bigoted. If they weren't, Trump wouldn't have gotten so popular in the first place by openly pandering to them. Black people aren't beaten and dragged out at Hilary Clinton's rallies, are they? Instead of dancing around the issue we need to openly acknowledge that over half our people are white supremacists. It's an ugly well to stare down but pretending its not there because it's hurts people's feelings is definitely not the solution. This is the country you live in. I am not saying political ignorance and frustration with the establishment are not factors in Trump's rise but they are chump change in comparison to the nativism that is fueling his campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...720264-7932-11e6-beac-57a4a412e93a_story.html

I don't even think education is the issue. Even someone with an 8th grade education has all the tools at their disposal to readily understand that Trump is grossly unqualified. This has much more to do with inherited racism from previous generations that went dormant and has now been brought into the light.

Last edited:

Archsage

Shiny Hunting!
So for those planning to watch the election coverage tomorrow night, on what network/website/whatever will you be using, and why? I'm curious about what you guys think is the best way to watch it, since this is the first election where I've planned to stay up all night and watch.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I could play a drinking game where I take a shot for every time someone says "No matter who wins, we lose" without any substance to back it up.

I'd probably be comatose in 20 minutes, but hey, no guts no glory.

It's gotten so annoying at this point that I ignore it. "They're equally as horrible" is one of the most egregious bandwagon statements ever in political history.

Sexual assualt, bummed that we can't use nukes, unsure if he'll accept election results, threatened to jail his opponent < emails

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Even if Clinton wins, Trump's support base isn't simply going to "go away". There are still underlying problems here that need to be addressed, or else these people are going to keep resurfacing every election until they finally ram a candidate through the election process. This is what concerns me more than anything when it comes to the Trump campaign. Everyone's biting their nails over what's going to happen if he wins, especially to women and minorities, but there are checks and balances in place to limit the amount of damage he can do on that front (although I do agree the idea of another conservative fundamentalist Christian as a supreme court justice leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth). What worries me is what happens if he doesn't win. Is the movement that's built up around him simply going to lose steam and evaporate into the political wind, or is it going to continue to grow, perhaps to a point where they could easily get a candidate of their choice elected in 2020? I can't see the former happening, now it's just a matter of figuring out what we can do to prevent the latter.

I think a nice place to start would be to stop generalizing his support base so much. As I've already said, some of them are racist, sexist, and just about every other nasty quality in the book, but many of them are not. Misguided? Maybe. But not as evil or hateful as a lot of people seem to think. Generalizing them as so only leads to them feeling further marginalized (and don't give me any BS about the irony of white men feeling marginalized please), which is only going to exacerbate the problem. Saying things like "Trump supporters hate minorities" is only going to make the problem worse in the long run, so you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.
The worst possible thing that I think can happen is that all of the Trump supporters will secede from the US & the country will go into a second civil war. I know it sounds crazy but people have made those threats in the past. Plus, with the fact that countries have gone crazy and taken extreme measures lately, it might actually happen this time

The worst possible thing that I think can happen is that all of the Trump supporters will secede from the US & the country will go into a second civil war. I know it sounds crazy but people have made those threats in the past. Plus, with the fact that countries have gone crazy and taken extreme measures lately, it might actually happen this time

I think that's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past Trump to encourage his supporters to basically burn **** down if he loses. Civil war no, but civil unrest and revolt? I can definitely see that happening.

Last edited: