• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think Trump wants to make it sound like the Democrats are handling the virus worse than he is, but places like California and New York are densely populated.

Plus, you have to ask the question on what a national government versus a state government can do for a pandemic, something he wants his supporters to neglect.

Also, didn't he force schools to reopen and threatened to end their funding if they resisted the mandate?

Edit: I should also mention about the "blue states" argument is dumb because you have Republicans in California and Democrats in Texas in larger numbers than you would expect. I think the stigma of the electoral college causes some politicians (like Trump) to be this simple minded.

Last edited:

Poke Trainer J

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...t-redfield-confused-vaccine-masks/5720828002/

I gotta say I was literally floored when I found out from the Director of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Robert Redfield as he told the U.S. Senate that face masks are more effective against COVID-19 than a vaccine. Is this incompetence or malevolence? Is he really expecting people to live the rest of their lives wearing face masks out in public even after an effective treatment or vaccine is found?

The people who wore face masks during the Spanish Flu which lasted from 1918 to 1920 were eventually able to take them off for good once an effective treatment or vaccine was found so I would assume it'd be the same case with this current pandemic. I feel as though this is just politicizing the problem even further rather than getting toward an effective solution.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Technically speaking, once a virus is gone for good without a vaccine helping, no vaccine is needed. So yes, Robert is right on that when seen from another POV.

The problem, however, is how there are idiots against anti-masks and how their stupidity will end up killing them - and others - before they can say anything about it. It doesn't help our president is a moron and does not issue a mask mandate because that won't make him money and...that's apparently Biden's job to issue himself, despite the fact only the acting president can issue that.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Yeah it’s clear it’s meant in a “masks are way more better now than a vaccine that has no timetable yet” because cases are happening and people probably don’t want to die.

Poke Trainer J

What was the point of all these pharmaceutical companies investing millions If not trillions of dollars for the development of effective treatments and vaccines against COVID-19 just to wave the white flag of surrender and say, "Face masks are the only real solution we can come up with so deal with it." There isn't any guarantee that the virus will just somehow disappear from people wearing face masks for a long period of time without a vaccine or treatment to stop it in its tracks. The vaccine should be more important than the face mask it's just that nobody wants to live the rest of their lives being forced to limit their own oxygen supply which is also hard on people who have lung issues or asthma.

As the Mainstream Media continues to mislead and stoke fear in people it ends up giving the Government greater power. When people are in fear they give up their constitutional rights and power over to the Government. It's disgusting how big pharmaceutical companies are trying to profit off of a sick society for their own personal gain. When are people actually going to wake up and realize that the pandemic is threatening freedom and democracy across the globe? There's an article by Forbes explaining this in more detail. If you thought mask mandates were bad compared to what other countries like Australia and China have already been through then you haven't seen nothing yet I'm afraid.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
What was the point of all these pharmaceutical companies investing millions If not trillions of dollars for the development of effective treatments and vaccines against COVID-19 just to wave the white flag of surrender and say, "Face masks are the only real solution we can come up with so deal with it." There isn't any guarantee that the virus will just somehow disappear from people wearing face masks for a long period of time without a vaccine or treatment to stop it in its tracks. The vaccine should be more important than the face mask it's just that nobody wants to live the rest of their lives being forced to limit their own oxygen supply which is also hard on people who have lung issues or asthma.

As the Mainstream Media continues to mislead and stoke fear in people it ends up giving the Government greater power. When people are in fear they give up their constitutional rights and power over to the Government. It's disgusting how big pharmaceutical companies are trying to profit off of a sick society for their own personal gain. When are people actually going to wake up and realize that the pandemic is threatening freedom and democracy across the globe? There's an article by Forbes explaining this in more detail. If you thought mask mandates were bad compared to what other countries like Australia and China have already been through then you haven't seen nothing yet I'm afraid.
Does anyone think mask mandates are bad? Up in Canada we have mask mandates in many areas and we're doing alright, albeit there's random anti-mask marches at walmart. I guess it's different in countries that have incompetent and evil leaders though that see some kind of opportunity in the middle of a pandemic to take advantage of people and make big corporations more money. Besides the extreme right, we have been happy with our government's priorities during the pandemic.

Also there's a throne speech next week which could possibly end up in a federal election for Canada if the minority liberal government doesn't get support from the other parties. Crossing my fingers for a universal basic income (yn). All this is overshadowed by the american election, even in half of Canada here lol.

Poke Trainer J

The problem with any vaccine is that it has to target a specific strand of COVID-19. With multiple of them out there and the likelihood of it to continue to mutate its similar to a Flu shot in that they take what they think is the most likely strand and try to hit that one.

That at least is what I assume Robert Redfield is eluding to. There is also the question of how many people are willing to get said shot. I would be surprised if we get even close to half of people getting a Flu shot annually but maybe it will be different with this.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The amount of Covid-19 shots per person depends on a number of factors.
For example, what type of vaccine will it be in that will it have a weakened version of the virus or will it have just the antibodies?

There is also the idea of herd immunity from vaccinations. If enough people get vaccinated, the rest of the population is less likely to be infected.

Ascended Dialga

Trump rally in Mosinee, Wisconsin live at the time of this post. Rambling incoherently as usual

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The two-day update:
*Turkish-backed Libyan PM Sarrac has decided to leave his position, which suggests (more) Turkish-backed Muslim Brotherhooda-aligned Interior Minister Farthi Bashagha might try to take the position.
*Coronavirus cases has raised to 30 million globally, with Morocco, Netherlands and Oman surpassing China.
*Oil continues its recovery after Abraham Accords signing and OPEC+ decision to cut production.
*Fed suggests there won't be an interest hike for next three years, so essentially zero rates will be the new normal for a while.
*Most importantly, Donald Trump gained +2 points in national average against Biden. He is still 3 points behind his 2016 performance, but if the trend continues, he is going to be reelected.

Trump's October Surprise has not happened yet (and no, it won't be the vaccine, it will be either something related to Biden campaign or foreign policy as always), but if he gradually extends the normalization to other Arab majority countries, oil will likely remain somewhat stable for the end of the October.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Last edited:

Litleonid

Ruth Bader Ginsberg just died. RIP the Notorious RBG.

This is not good. This leaves us with a supreme court vacancy and you know Mitch McConnell will show his obvious hypocrisy and help Trump push a third conservative justice. Hoping the democrats can prevent this now. If Obama was not allowed to fill the vacant seat with Merrick Garland because it was too close to an election, then Trump shouldn't get the chance either.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, just caught the news, it's very unfortunate.

Of course, McConnell can disappear off the face of the planet, and the world would be a better place.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
You know she was beloved when Twitter had the "No. No. No." trend reach 5 million tweets.

(...But then again I'm not sure a phrase like that can only be reserved for her topic since it's a bit too broad.)
Yep. It's not good that it's trending. The world knows how much she meant to people, to the country and to the Supreme Court and that now things are in a very bad place given Mitch and his history of pushing people through to the Supreme Court.

Rest in peace, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and thanks for all you've done.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
RBG is as complicated a figure as any politician, but her death is, at this moment, decidedly extremely bad for America and possibly the entire world because god knows the Republicans will ram through another dingleberry of an appointee that they pulled out of their collective ass during the time from now to the election, and will claim it's their prerogative or something. Many of them will mispronounce it because they're not good at public speaking (BOOM! Got 'em! I could write for a liberal-leaning comedy-news show!).

But also, like, I just want to say how sick I am of all these people using this as a time to rub salt in the wound. People being like "it's really stupid to rely on the failing health of an 80-something-year-old woman with stage 69 cancer (cumulative) and who weighs less than a shelled pistachio." As if we don't know that. Send me your proposal for rapid, sweeping systemic reforms, and explain to me how you managed to account for everything you'll have to fight through in the armed insurrection that is probably the only way you'd be able to pull it off.

Those people are taking a victory lap when they've just been told that they lose too. They realize they're just as much in the **** as the rest of us and that does the exact opposite of endearing them to, like, anyone, right? Yes, the system should be better! Maybe now is not the time to be discussing it, especially if your only methodology of doing so is mockery.

Excuse me, but isn't this usually a wake-up call that convinces you to take the safe option without complaints...or is Herman still alive as a Twitter account.

I'd be too freaked out about the zombie talking to me to do anything, so I'm not a good person to ask.