• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Mordent99

Banned
They said back then we'd be paying eight dollars for a gallon of milk too.

They were full of it.

chalkus

To be fair with Iraq that's all on Bush and co. No matter what the Obama administration did there it would have been a mess with a lot of downsides. Really a lot of those problems can be traced to Bush and Obama just inherited it.

The war in Iraq was definitely Bush's fault, but the pullout without leaving any troops behind is all on Obama.

And it has been almost 7 years since Bush left office, to continue to blame him for Obama's shortcomings is getting pretty old by now. Especially since Obama campaigned as the guy who would solve all those problems, not complain about them.

Considering the previous Republican administration left the country in two unwinnable wars (to be fair, one was unavoidable but the initial strategy could have been better), one of which was a catalyst for extremism in the region today, then yeah I'd say the current one is doing better. The GOP candidates, except for Rand Paul, were trying to out-macho one another in who can send the country into more fruitless Middle East warfare. It was seriously the stupidest **** I ever heard.
Yes, because there was no extremism in the Middle East before the Iraq war. It's all Bush's fault terrorists exist. As for the Syrian conflict, that was started by protests against Assad which he responded to by slaughtering his own people. But then I guess he did that because of Bush and Iraq. Makes sense.

You keep singing Obama's praises yet I see you ignored the many blunders I listed that happened under his watch and instead started up on Bush. But then again, that was probably all Bush's fault too.

Maybe you're letting the GOP anti-Obama circlejerk get to your head if you honestly think the President and his administration hasn't achieved a lot. You can tack on the Fed Reserve raising its interest rates (a show of confidence in the economy since the Great Recession that Obama inherited) and the Paris climate deal this week as more accomplishments.
You've spent much of this post blaming Bush for everything bad that's happened in the last 15 years. If anyone is drinking the proverbial Koolaid, it's you.

I think Obama has done a decent job with the economy, but outside of that, what really has he accomplished. His foreign policy has been a disaster, his trade deal is hated by his own party, his own party distanced themselves from him in the 2014 elections, he has done very little to help minority groups, he talks about equal pay even though his own White House pays men more than women, he expanded the powers of the NSA, which he was formerly against, before getting caught, he made promises about the ACA, his signature legislation, that later turned out to be untrue, he helped foster an environment of extreme political correctness that makes it more difficult for people to speak to each other without being judged, etc. But yeah, this is surely top 10 of all time territory right here.

Didn't Obama do something with the gas prices? I swear to god, they're better than ever, unless something nasty may happen because of this.

Obama brought down world gas prices? Why not, everything he touches seems to turn to gold anyway. Though if the prices begin to rise, it was probably Bush's fault. Damn that Bush!

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The pullout was a Bush administration strategy that he used. Really it was either remove everyone and leave it a mess or keep everyone there and waste more resources keeping it a mess. No one could have solved that at least from an American Politics side. Just because blaming Bush for it got old doesn't mean it got false over time too.

Pikachu52

He helped foster an environment of extreme political correctness that makes it more difficult for people to speak to each other without being judged.

In what way? In my opinion the term political correctness is terribly overused and is inherently meaningless. In my observation the people using it tend to be right wing commentators and news outlets applying to every and any judicial decision, Legislative, executive or business action or any public response or demand that they disagree with to avoid actually engaging with the issues at hand and to demonise their opponent. The concept of extreme political correctness is a straw man being used to silence the voices minorities, divert attention from genuine instances of discrimination or disadvantage and create false victims out of perpetuators of oppression or else allow them to dismiss genuine criticism and avoid self-reflection. For the most part, about 80% of what is termed "political correctness" is usually common sense or common decency. If it's more difficult for people to "speak up" with racist, sexists or homophobic comments, ideas or jokes etc that is only a good thing.

he has done very little to help minority groups

To be fair a lot of issues facing minority groups are outside of the executive power of the federal government. Marriage equality could only ever have been achieved through the courts as legislative powers over marriage fall to the states, police shootings concern actions of state police so any action there would need to come from the state legislatures and immigration reform would require Legislative action by Congress which has been largely ineffective for the last 8 years. There have been some positive actions for minorities over the last 8 years however. Obama signed Don't ask Don't tell's repeal, he signed an executive order banning discrimination against LGBTs by federal contractors and the Justice Department has used prosecutorial discretion to avoid charging persons with drug offences that trigger mandatory minimum sentences the enforcement of which often disproportionately affects black and latino americans.

Obama brought down world gas prices? Why not, everything he touches seems to turn to gold anyway. Though if the prices begin to rise, it was probably Bush's fault. Damn that Bush!

From my understanding of the situation the gas prices came down because the US has become largely self-sufficient in supply of gas due to the discovery or reserves in Texas and other parts of the south, but the Saudi Arabians have not decreased their supply. This has increased supply and thus lead to a reduction in gas prices.

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned
I think Obama has done a decent job with the economy, but outside of that, what really has he accomplished.

I grow tired of poting these lists by people who keep using the old "Kool-Aid analogy." (Btw, the incident that term is based on was not a case of mass-suicide by a blindly loyal cult. Many eyewitnesses claim most of the cultists had no idea the drink was poisoned, making it a mass-murder-suicide by the cult's leader.)

As for Mr. Obama's accomplishments, here's the 50 biggest ones:

Here's ALL of them:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ma...mas_top_50_accomplishments035755.php?page=all

http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/

Want me to list Ms. Clinton's qualifications? That's a big Tea Party question too. Number one, unlike Trump, she's actually held a government office.

Obama brought down world gas prices? Why not, everything he touches seems to turn to gold anyway. Though if the prices begin to rise, it was probably Bush's fault. Damn that Bush![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned
Sorry to double post, but I wanted to do some research. I wanted to address every one of Chalkus' accusations.

Let's start with the big one.

"Obama lied about letting you keep your doctor/plan."

It’s true that this happened in a limited number of cases—maybe six or seven million people who bought policies on the individual market got cancellation letters from insurers telling them that their plans didn’t meet the minimum requirements under the new law, as NBC News explosively reported last fall.

It harmed the administration’s credibility, and rightly so. But it didn’t represent much of a change from the past — the “churn-rate” in the individual market has always been high. More importantly, no one seems to have followed up with this population to try to figure out what percentage did, in fact, lose coverage and/or have to pay considerably more for a new plan, so we don’t actually know how many of those six or seven million walked away satisfied or dissatisfied.

But more broadly, in a country where some 260 million people have health insurance, no one has adduced any proof that the ACA has resulted in anything remotely like the cataclysm opponents predicted. In fact, last fall, Factcheck.org rated such claims as outright falsehoods. And Gruber noted to me that if some people are “losing” their doctors, it’s often by their own choice, because now that they have so many different coverage options, many are choosing less expensive or so-called “limited network” plans. “No one is making people buy these plans,” Gruber says. “They’re cheaper alternatives. This is capitalism at its finest. For the right to criticize that is just ludicrous.”

Now, let's go over some Republican lies about the ACA, for comparison:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...amacare-critics-cant-believe-their-lying-eyes

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/17/the-five-biggest-lies-about-obamacare.html

Who's a bigger liar?

"Mr. Obama helped foster an environment of extreme political correctness."

You say that as if it were a bad thing! the fact that bigots are calling non-prejudice folks out for not tolerating their intolerance is absurd.

"Mr. Obama expanded the powers of the NSA."

Yes, I've all heard the comments by Tea Partiers claiming he'll turn the country into an Orwellian dystopia or that he already has. (I discussed this "theory" with my political science, sociology, history, and English professors in college. They laughed.) Strange thing is, none of these folks who claim the NSA can spy on them through the internet ever think of turning it off. They insult the President using the internet while telling us it will lead to our neighbors disappearing at night.

Here's another myth-debunker:

http://www.thenation.com/article/ten-myths-about-nsa-debunked/

"Bill Clinton was accused of rape."

First of all, I have no idea what this has to do with his wife, but if you insist it's important...

Juanita Broaddrick made several accusation which snowballed into others that, when looked at as a whole became contradictory. She made conflicting statements as to whether or not consent was given, or whether anything happened. She did not give the date, initially, then gave conflicting ones.

Jack Nelson, Washington bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times, said of it, "This is a story that's been knocked down and discredited so many times ... [E]veryone's taken a slice of it, and after looking at it, everyone's knocked it down. The woman has changed her story about whether it happened. It just wasn't credible

IMOHO, she was a liar trying to cash in.

And it sickens me how the Republicans, who insist on "defending the Constitution", have little respect for the 6th Amendment.

Mordent99

Banned

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
...he helped foster an environment of extreme political correctness that makes it more difficult for people to speak to each other without being judged, etc.

Political correctness means nothing more than respect. By expecting political correctness, one is simply suggesting that others are held accountable for their words and actions because these words and actions perpetuate racism, bigotry, and the like.

What PC means in one example: It would be reasonable for the government to not announce religious affiliations by advertising Christmas themes exclusively because there are many citizens who do not follow the religion and therefore find it offensive. In addition, there is a constitutional amendment advocating the separation of church and state, and it should be followed for this reason.

What PC bashers hear: Jesus is bad and wrong and we just like crying about random stuff because we're entitled to feelings and our parents didn't beat us enough.

What PC bashers need to understand: Political correctness exists as a gesture of respect to all those who don't feel they should be defined or excluded by derogatory, offensive comments and actions.

What PC bashers don't think about: As I've said, PC is simply the idea that we should respect one another. How would you like it if someone came up to you and said "F**k Jesus" or "F**k America?" You'd probably become upset and defend yourself. Context and definition would imply that having to defend yourself means you are offended. But these statements are rarely uttered in America. Why? Out of respect for Christians and patriots. This is political correctness and you are part of the privileged few who don't suffer from it like others do.

In short, rejecting political correctness is rejecting respect. Get over yourself.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
People who complain about "political correctness" are just over-sensitive and want to limit the First Amendment because they can't handle being called out for being disrespectful. They desperately need to work on being less easily offended. I honestly don't know how they function in the real world, freaking out whenever someone says "Happy Holidays", points out an inequality, insinuates that Muslims are people, or whatever innocuous thing has them most recently outraged.

Last edited:

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
People who complain about "political correctness" are just over-sensitive and want to limit the First Amendment because they can't handle being called out for being disrespectful. They desperately need to work on being less easily offended. I honestly don't know how they function in the real world, freaking out whenever someone says "Happy Holidays", points out an inequality, insinuates that Muslims are people, or whatever innocuous thing has them most recently outraged.

THANK YOU!!!

i cant stand poitical correctness; thats not to say people should go around freely shouting racial/sexual/religious/whatever slurs at each other, but the way its been twisted now, you cant even say hi to someone without them having a meltdown and demanding a "safe space" wherein nothing will ever ever ever ever EVER hurt them even though there can be no such thing cause thats not how the world works.

people will always have different opinions on issues (whether its terrorism, the economy, the climate, or whatever); normal people will understand that ,while they may on agree with what someone says, they have the right to say it, whereas with the "special snowflakes" of the world they try to shut it down by saying "the science is settled" which is the biggest oxymoron ever.

i so wish to see how these people plan to deal with real life when it doesnt match up to their fantasy candyland they live in in their minds. oh wait i know; they'll call everyone who doesnt agree with them a racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic, inbred, redneck, bible thumping, nascar loving, gun toting bigot.

Remix2

Honestly when I hear poitical correctness now I think of Ben Carson using it to shield himself form well deserved bashing whenever he say something really dumb and just embarrassing.

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned
Uh, YFM, Muslims are people.

I sort of sympathized with you up to the point where you said that.

As for political correctness, well, watch this and tell me whether or not acting like Archie does is proper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjK9OAm6oN8

Last edited:
Political correctness is a genuine problem is certain circumstances, but those scenarios are few and far between. I've also wondered why "safe spaces" as they call them are being criticized as politically correct. What's politically correct about taking steps to protect yourself from harassment and abuse? I can shrug it off my shoulders if people on the internet, through facebook, my youtube channel, etc. say awful things to me, but that doesn't mean I should have to deal with it, or that I'm being pampered and oversensitive if I take action to where I don't have to. Janitors being called licensed floor technicians? Heh, you might have something there though.

The war in Iraq was definitely Bush's fault, but the pullout without leaving any troops behind is all on Obama.

Actually Bush oversaw the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, the agreement was called SOPA. Why do you keep posting even? You have zero credibility and the points you're making pretty much have joke status now. The only thing you seem to do every post is accuse everyone of having Obama's dick in their mouth.

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
THANK YOU!!!

i cant stand poitical correctness; thats not to say people should go around freely shouting racial/sexual/religious/whatever slurs at each other, but the way its been twisted now, you cant even say hi to someone without them having a meltdown and demanding a "safe space" wherein nothing will ever ever ever ever EVER hurt them even though there can be no such thing cause thats not how the world works.

people will always have different opinions on issues (whether its terrorism, the economy, the climate, or whatever); normal people will understand that ,while they may on agree with what someone says, they have the right to say it, whereas with the "special snowflakes" of the world they try to shut it down by saying "the science is settled" which is the biggest oxymoron ever.

i so wish to see how these people plan to deal with real life when it doesnt match up to their fantasy candyland they live in in their minds. oh wait i know; they'll call everyone who doesnt agree with them a racist, sexist, homophobic, islamophobic, xenophobic, inbred, redneck, bible thumping, nascar loving, gun toting bigot.

Uh, YFM, Muslims are people.

I sort of sympathized with you up to the point where you said that.]

I think the point may have gone over your heads

Yes, I've all heard the comments by Tea Partiers claiming he'll turn the country into an Orwellian dystopia or that he already has. (I discussed this "theory" with my political science, sociology, history, and English professors in college. They laughed.) Strange thing is, none of these folks who claim the NSA can spy on them through the internet ever think of turning it off. They insult the President using the internet while telling us it will lead to our neighbors disappearing at night.

Just popping in for a bit to say that I don't think it's wise to defend the NSA. Our right to privacy was seriously sacrificed for nothing. What I mean by nothing is that even though the government collects the meta data of millions of phone calls en masse, and now according to leaks from Ted Cruz they're capable of recording 100% of phone calls made, in essence there wasn't really a single terrorist plot that was thwarted. Does anyone really think that's a good deal?

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/yo...lots-the-nsas-domestic-spy-program-has-foiled

You can also thank congress for sneaking the funds for CISA, another government surveillance program, into NASA's new budget increase.

http://gizmodo.com/the-governments-new-cybersecurity-bill-will-make-us-les-1739058955

The fact that our country is becoming increasingly Orwellian isn't a joke or a tea party conspiracy. It's really happening.

Pikachu52

Once again "Political Correctness" does not exist. People who use this phrase never provide it with any clear conceptual definition and always employ it as a weapon to attack anything even remotely progressive. It's a straw man argument that allows people to avoid genuine engagement with the issue at hand.

This statement is heavily exaggerated. Can any example be given of someone demanding a safe space over the word "hi." My guess is not. The idea behind a safe space is hardly controversial - that people with marginalised identities may want spaces where they can express or share intimate personal knowledges without people making ingnorant or bullying remarks. For instance victims of rape may want to access spaces to share their experiences with other sympathetic people who have had similar experiences. It is not exactly unreasonable that they would not want to be subject to someone deliberately stirring up trouble by victim blaming her and insisting that rape culture does not exist.

There are opinions and there are facts. Merely pointing out that certain "opinion" do not come from an evidentiary basis is a valid criticism and shouldn't be dismissed as an attempt to "shut it down," and it's highly disingenuous to refer to an unidentified group of persons as "special snowflakes" and others who agree with you as "normal persons." What exactly are you talking about.

Rerefering to people as having a "fantasy candy land" in their minds isn't a genuine criticism. It's an insult without substance to support it. Nobody is calling everybody who doesn't agree with them racist or sexist. They're calling racists racists. It is not reasonable to defend discriminatory attitudes, actions or policies under the guise of "difference of opinion" as such policies and actions often have a very real impact on people's lives. Further so it is not a valid defence to hide behind the false concept of political correctness to avoid genuine criticism and self reflection.

Last edited:
Once again "Political Correctness" does not exist. People who use this phrase never provide it with any clear conceptual definition and always employ it as a weapon to attack anything even remotely progressive. It's a straw man argument that allows people to avoid genuine engagement with the issue at hand.

No, that's a step too far. It exists on both the left and right. Just because you mostly see people on the right abusing it doesn't mean it's a vacuous or non-useful concept.