• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics 2021: Ignore the Neighslayers

Vernikova

Champion
This doesn't sound good...

In regards to Twitter's new terms of service.

This could affect artists, etc.. It deals with copyright. But that aside... there's a bit that is far more concerning in my opinion.

These are common sense and ordinary terms. What's the issue with these?

1) Almost all companies have this in their terms as a way to protect themselves.
2) Twitter is a free-to-use service. As the now-common saying goes: if it's free, you are the product. Advertising companies will, in general, reserve the right to use content you posted on its platform for advertising. Facebook does the same with its services. The random marketing company doen the street will as well.
3) There are ways around copyright algorithms (if users truly cared). This is an ordinary term to include since they don't want to be held liable for user's expsoing themselves to lawsuits.
4) Yeah, "annoy." The same people that were begging to have the alt-right banned hate a rule that could have the alt-right banned. They don't want it possibly applied to them or their allies though.
5) Once again, another standard term to include along with "as available."

The person complaining isn't even a lawyer nor does it seem like they work in compliance.

These complaints are silly.

bobjr

Steel Ball Fun
Staff member
Twitter more than anything else just doesn’t want to have to take any action about anything. It’s why they only give minor bans to literal nazis and take years to do anything to people like Nick Fuentes.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

AuraChannelerChris

Disappearing isn't that bad, actually.
Fox News does a sudden 180 regarding how the COVID vaccine is important...

...to recover from this:

Lives are priceless, but they are worthless against the all powerful $1.
Turns out it wasn't because of the stock market, but rather someone sued them for spreading misinformation:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Twitter is for the rich, and Facebook for the poor, based on these rules.

Because people can just OBTAIN licenses, permissions and **** like that without cash upfront. It's TOTALLY that easy. Ughhh

This WILL backfire.

Companies need to stop having lawyers write policies that will only benefit lawyers.
I read some stuffs that are linked to Twitter but I didn't actually use it. I have Facebook but I don't post anything because the vibe there is more toxic, especially when it's about politics but I'm still keeping my account because of Messenger so I can keep in touch with the contacts that I know and trust.

I have my own personal problems too but I generally keep them by myself instead of having everyone in the internet to read them, in which I very doubt people experienced the same kind of situation as I do.

I sometimes express my disgust about politics only in this thread as I found the place far less toxic. I'm using YouTube because I'm a content creator focusing on video games and I'm using DeviantArt just to express my thoughts for some arts just like some threads in this website.

bobjr

Steel Ball Fun
Staff member

9ShwGol.png

So Activision is really bad

Zora

perpetually tired
jfc these activision-blizzard stories are horrifying :(

I hope that since CA government is leading this lawsuit, and did their own investigation, there's actual consequences because **** is not okay.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
jfc these activision-blizzard stories are horrifying :(

I hope that since CA government is leading this lawsuit, and did their own investigation, there's actual consequences because **** is not okay.

Yea they are :(.

I hope so. They need to be held accountable for their behavior.

Zora

perpetually tired
Yea they are :(.

I hope so. They need to be held accountable for their behavior.
that said, I feel the realistic trajectory is something to the effect of:
  • A few months from now, games journalism (bleh) will be hyping new products like Overwatch 2 as if nothing ever happened. See also how gaming journalism cared more about a new AssCreed gaming being leaked than the fact the abusers are still making the game.
  • In court, they are found liable for these circumstances with a punishment being a fine (a literal slap on the wrist by AB standards). This will take years.
  • AB pays a fine, promises "to do better," puts on sexual assault workshops with the attitude "if we tell them no, maybe they'll listen" (it doesn't work like that; abusers don't listen until there's consequences).
  • Nothing actually changes.
But, California being behind this at least gives it more of an impact, but sigh, I'm still cynical about how this will turn out.

Last edited:

The Admiral

solid state survivor
Actually most viruses mutate and because the covid vaccine doesn't actually stop you from getting covid and instead prevents you from possibly dying and being hospitalized this still could of happened. The flu has a bunch of variants.
The flu has a bunch of variants, sure, but according to CDC estimates, only about 52% of the population got a flu shot in 2019-2020 (you might have to scroll down a bit for that number, and this assumes I'm reading the thing right). Not exactly what I'd consider a point that would, like, kill it off. And we aren't even at that number for COVID.
Fox News does a sudden 180 regarding how the COVID vaccine is important...

Not to be That person, but do y'all think Hannity's got the virus and is saying this because he's concerned it'll kill him?

I'm revving up the crab rave anyway.
I figured this to be the case, but it is important to have confirmation.

Zora

perpetually tired
Not to be That person, but do y'all think Hannity's got the virus and is saying this because he's concerned it'll kill him?

I'm revving up the crab rave anyway.
GOP is changing tune about vaccine because delta variant is spooking the stock market and, importantly, their donors.

They're going to backpedal but I don't think they can undo the damage they've done.

Edit: also, yeah, FN facing possibly legal issues.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Disappearing isn't that bad, actually.
Worse.

...Someone sued the network for COVID misinformation so now they have to act like their previous false news never happened or else.

bobjr

Steel Ball Fun
Staff member
In previous court cases Fox News has said it is entertainment, not News, so information lawsuits don't apply because obviously people should get that it's just entertainment.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
just watching 23/7/21 6:30 NBC news, i know its a rather bias station but i dont rely on it ie its very corporate aligned... they had a good WTH story where they mentioned a 33yr old woman who nearly died from covid and survived but is still hesitant to take the vaccine "not wanting to jump into it until she's 100% sure"????? that was some strong koolaid she drank to nearly die from the virus and still not get convinced to take the vaccine...

im just loving the stories where republicans are now saying to take the vaccine as their past ignorance was to let their viewers die. now they are worried they wont have enough supporters to stay afloat but they poisoned the well very thoroughly for 18months...

bobjr

Steel Ball Fun
Staff member
The people who are pushing that Covid was a Chinese lab plot to destroy America are also pushing against a vaccine that protects against that same disease.

There's no consistancy, only ignorance at best.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Sierra Leone has decided to abolish death penalty. This isn't too significant since there are 30 other African countries that retain it, but it is still nice.

Ghana and Liberia might be next, since Tajikistan might delay abolishing due to US withdrawal from Afghanistan.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The people who are pushing that Covid was a Chinese lab plot to destroy America are also pushing against a vaccine that protects against that same disease.

There's no consistancy, only ignorance at best.
I really get annoyed when people try and link Covid to some conspiracy theory. The closest thing to a 'conspiracy' there is on this (and it isn't really a conspiracy as much as it is a fundamental pattern of the natural world) is that it might be the planet's way of saying that humanity is bad for the world and needs to go.

Anyway, it's looking like we could have vaccine mandates once one of these gets approved by the FDA. https://www.yahoo.com/news/days-vaccine-lotteries-waning-come-100041082.html

This isn't definitive proof, but it seems like doctors and politicians are becoming increasingly on board with imposing an individual mandate for vaccines, much like how the Obama administration had an individual mandate for health insurance. But instead of a mere tax penalty, violating this one could cost people their jobs. Whether this goes through or not remains to be seen, but January is going to be a very interesting month.