• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

ebevan91

What is "the memo" al the MAGAs on Twitter are wailing about?

It's not just Hannity, etc. talking about it this time. Actual members of the House of Representatives are talking about it too.

EnglishALT

I had to go searching a bit since the major news sites like Politico haven't picked up on the story, because the possible shut down is dominating the news. However the memo seems to be a bit about abuse of power by the FBI and Obama's Justice Department to go after Trump during the campaign in 2016. Possibly looping back to Trump's comments about being wiretapped.

The Washington Examiner has more info. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...elease-of-memo-on-fisa-abuses/article/2646412

ebevan91

Meadows and Jordan are HFC nutcases so I wouldn't put too much stock in it

They aren't the only ones. King, Gaetz, DeSantis, Zeldin, and more have read the memo. Last I heard, around 60 Representatives have read the memo, and that was yesterday.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Next, Trump and his base are going to demand the wall cover the entire US border with this great wall so no one can get in by land or sea. Then they'll want a dome over the whole country to keep people out by air. Then we'll put trackers on all incoming foreigners so we can make sure they leave when they are supposed to, or chase them down and expel them if they don't. That should fix our patchy system!

Basically, yes. Walls are more about keeping people from going outside than to stop people coming in.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It looks like that FBI think is just a bunch of Nunes notes, and if you all remember Nunes really tried to stop the investigation and screwed up so bad he had to recuse himself.

If they did have something the smart move would have been to release it right away, like Feinstein did earlier. Trying to McCarthy things won't work.

EnglishALT

Does anyone think the democrats will shut down the government in a few hours? President Trump is saying he is making progress with negotiations but there are only a few hours left and I have not seen any reports of any major groups of democrats budging.

Silver Soul

Does anyone think the democrats will shut down the government in a few hours? President Trump is saying he is making progress with negotiations but there are only a few hours left and I have not seen any reports of any major groups of democrats budging.

Its Republicans that have issues. Trump wants to shut down for a wall.

EnglishALT

Its Republicans that have issues. Trump wants to shut down for a wall.

The Republicans have passed the spending bill in the House last night that allows for four more weeks and CHIP funding. It is up to the Democrats to get the bill to 60 in the Senate to shut down debate, so far they are opposed to that.

EnglishALT

Still, thenpublic would blame Republicans more if the shutdown happens since they are in charge of everything.

They are, but they do not have 60 votes to end debate on the bill, so it is up to the Democrats to agree to end the filibuster to pass the bill. If they do not, then the government shuts down in a few hours.

bobjr

Staff member
It's almost like the GOP shouldn't hold programs like CHIPS and DACA hostage to keep the Government running.

EnglishALT

It's almost like the GOP shouldn't hold programs like CHIPS and DACA hostage to keep the Government running.

Are they holding either hostage? DACA does not end till March, and CHIPS was added as a sweetener to get Democrats on board as that is one of the things they have been asking for, for a long time. The Republicans could have passed a clean CR but that may not entice swing state Democrats in the Senate to vote for it. To me it seems the only ones holding hostages to keep the Government from running are the Democrats right now.

EnglishALT

We had a bipartisan DACA deal until Trump went full racist! He was the one who blew it.

The deal had some pretty bad funding for the border wall, there was no way it was going to pass, however since DACA does not end until March, there is no reason for Democrats to shut down the Government in January. Especially since the public opposes shutting down the Government for DACA

Zora

perpetually tired
Are they holding either hostage? DACA does not end till March, and CHIPS was added as a sweetener to get Democrats on board as that is one of the things they have been asking for, for a long time. The Republicans could have passed a clean CR but that may not entice swing state Democrats in the Senate to vote for it. To me it seems the only ones holding hostages to keep the Government from running are the Democrats right now.

CHIP was added as an alternative to DACA to get Democrats to vote for the one month extension--in other words, GOP used CHIP as leverage. That isn't the GOP adding a sweetener, that was the GOP releasing one hostage to hold a more valuable one. This isn't hard to intuit: the GOP could introduced a clean DACA (or heck, include it as a rider alongside or in lieu of CHIP) and the one month extension would have passed anyway--so what are they waiting for? They are saving DACA because they want it as leverage, and if they can wait until as close to March as possible the Dems may need to accept whatever DACA is attached to. My own speculation is they'll want to attach it to the entitlement reductions--because Dems will try to oppose that and DACA is perhaps the only thing that will get Dems to consider it and losing DACA or effecting entitlement reductions is detrimental to Democrats. The better political calculation may be a shutdown after all--since this is likely the only time between now and March the Dems have anything resembling leverage.

Or do you honestly believe that sometime between now and March the GOP is going to introduce a clean DACA with no strings attached?

EnglishALT

CHIP was added as an alternative to DACA to get Democrats to vote for the one month extension--in other words, GOP used CHIP as leverage. That isn't the GOP adding a sweetener, that was the GOP releasing one hostage to hold a more valuable one.

The very definition of a sweetener is adding something to get a person or group of people to vote with you. I cannot see how CHIP is not a sweetener.

This isn't hard to intuit: the GOP could introduced a clean DACA (or heck, include it as a rider alongside or in lieu of CHIP) and the one month extension would have passed anyway--so what are they waiting for? They are saving DACA because they want it as leverage, and if they can wait until as close to March as possible the Dems may need to accept whatever DACA is attached to. My own speculation is they'll want to attach it to the entitlement reductions--because Dems will try to oppose that and DACA is perhaps the only thing that will get Dems to consider it and losing DACA or effecting entitlement reductions is detrimental to Democrats. The better political calculation may be a shutdown after all--since this is likely the only time between now and March the Dems have anything resembling leverage.

Is it better political leverage? The last poll I saw said the public supported keeping the Government open over DACA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-trump-immigration-daca/index.html

Or do you honestly believe that sometime between now and March the GOP is going to introduce a clean DACA with no strings attached?

No, nor should they, it is all about give and take, if the Democrats want DACA they need to give a lot in terms of border security and changing chain migration and lotto immigration.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
So to combat an imaginary threat the Dems must give in on hundreds of thousands of kids? Plus knowing how the GOP says they'll make a deal only to not I wouldn't trust them either. Unless it's something bad for minority groups or taking away healthcare.

The GOP let CHIP run out in the first place, it's totally their fault on that regard.

And yeah, the average person doesn't want the Government to shut down. But when a party that has total control is playing with people's lives, what is supposed to happen?