• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Vernikova

Champion
because Average Whitey can't pronounce "uyghur"

On a more serious note: the Uyghurs, to my knowledge, don't have a well-known equivalent to Hamas for idiot centrists to latch onto as a "terrorist organization" to try and spin the conflict. Also, enough people hate China and the Jinping administration so unilaterally that pointing out that they're doing YET ANOTHER atrocity feels pointless. Obviously, I saw a lot of conversation about China committing genocide against the Uyghurs on Twitter, but that's inside a heavily left section of Twitter. That's basically died off, but the prospect of dealing with two genocides as they're happening is a pipe dream. Talking about one is exhausting enough.
Thanks.

Do labs even make viruses, let alone have the solutions to keep said viruses from taking themselves down. You'd have to be an idiot to create a virus that doesn't discriminate in infecting anyone without a vaccine for it.
It's not really about "making" a virus. The idea is that they were studying it and that it was accidently leaked. There's no way to know this now that China has effectively sabotaged any potential investigation giving insights.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The thing is, global pandemics happen once every two generations, and with habitat destruction, you can expect some more to get loose.

I'm still in firm belief that this virus mutated in just the right way to be very contagious.

Vernikova

Champion
The thing is, global pandemics happen once every two generations, and with habitat destruction, you can expect some more to get loose.

I'm still in firm belief that this virus mutated in just the right way to be very contagious.
SARS and Swine Flu both spread within the last twenty years, which makes three global pandemics this generation. The supposition that such an event, on average, occurs at certain intervals isn't a good enough reason to reject a hypothesis. Considering the recent boost in this theory by the former CDC director Robert Redfield, CNN's Sanjay Gupta, prominent scientists, it's fair for an independent investigation to at least investigate before dismissing the idea.

I think this article gives a solid defense of why the lab leak hypothesis is gaining steam after being considered "debunked": https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-lab-leak-hypothesis-and-other-true-conspiracies/

This is in addition to other such as Dr. Fauci, who doubts the WHO's report about the origins of the virus.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Can we definitively prove it was made in a lab even if we were to look?

I'm not saying it's 100% impossible, but its unlikely, and the burden of proof falls on such a hypothesis.

Also, the point to my last topic is that pandemics can and will happen. Saying that more pop out only proves my point on that.

Vernikova

Champion
Can we definitively prove it was made in a lab even if we were to look?

I'm not saying it's 100% impossible, but its unlikely, and the burden of proof falls on such a hypothesis.
It leaking from a lab does not mean that it was "made" in a lab. The latter is the weaponization conspiracy, which I think is what people conflate the current lab leak hypothesis with.

Also, you suppose that it's "unlikely," but that really has as much evidence going for it as it leaking from a lab (which you can see with the link I provided), and it should be clear that it's not as clear-cut as some would like to believe since the lab leak hypothesis is gaining steam among mainstream outlets, which previously have denied such an event occurring.

Also, the point to my last topic is that pandemics can and will happen. Saying that more pop out only proves my point on that.
This isn't evidence though. Furthermore, China has already been shown to cover up events to save face, one of those being the SARS pandemic outbreak. Investigations that are bogged down by China are naturally going to be very difficult to handle.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It should be noted most intelligence agencies do not support that idea, and media sites will often at least have an opinion section that just will publish the dumbest **** that gets them clicks.

It's kind of an issue with journalism in general, anything that "could happen", no matter how dumb or how little proof, gets signal boosted until it becomes a mainstream theory. Just look at vaccines going from a fringe anti-belief to almost half the world.

Vernikova

Champion
It should be noted most intelligence agencies do not support that idea
Most actually claim that they don't know, and whatever position minority elements are taking is with low to moderate confidence. The official position is as follows:

As of today, the U.S. Intelligence Community has “coalesced around two likely scenarios” but has not reached a definitive conclusion on this question. Here is their current position: “while two elements in the IC leans toward the former scenario [emerged from human contact with an infected animal] and one leans more toward the latter [from a laboratory accident] – each with low or moderate confidence – the majority of elements do not believe there is sufficient information to assess one to be more likely than the other.”

Which is why it's important to actually have a real investigation carried out and not just dismiss hypotheses. Three out of seventeen agencies have a position on one or the other, and all three of them aren't confident with their position. The fact that fourteen of the agencies state that there isn't enough information to support one hypothesis over the other is telling, and it's why you have so many stopping with dismissing the lab leak hypothesis as a debunked conspiracy.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
It's probably good to have the investigation for completion's sake, but like I mentioned initially, it's not going to change anyone's mind who's on the fence with the issue, there will always be some secret emails or coverup that stops them from truly changing their mind.

Plus even if China was responsible in a truly accidental way, I don't see any real punishment that could be done.

Vernikova

Champion
It's probably good to have the investigation for completion's sake, but like I mentioned initially, it's not going to change anyone's mind who's on the fence with the issue, there will always be some secret emails or coverup that stops them from truly changing their mind.

Plus even if China was responsible in a truly accidental way, I don't see any real punishment that could be done.
I'm sure that there are people who take positions for purely political reasons and may not budge no matter what results comes about.

I think, though, that the next logical step, if the lab leak hypothesis were confirmed, would be to look at gain-of-function research: https://thebulletin.org/2021/05/the-origin-of-covid-did-people-or-nature-open-pandoras-box-at-wuhan/

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster

Warhawks wanna do with China what we did with Iraq.

Steal, loot, pillage, make the military-industrial complex money under the guise of "liberation" & extend the New American Empire. Same as what they want to do to Iran, Syria, Russia, Lebanon, North Korea, Venezuela, Chile, Brazil, Argentina and eventually somewhere in the EU or Africa.

All the while attempting to start the end times in Israel for a supposed free ticket to Heaven.

BGMaxie

Once again, Ted Cruz keeps providing us reasons to despise this SOB.

After all the crap he has pulled, he still has no intentions of resigning or retiring anytime soon. Texas is not going to vote him out in 2024 or any time in the near future, and I don’t see the state changing its fascist ways until 2028 at the earliest. The only way that Ted Cruz leaves the Senate is if *this* happens to his brain. If that happens, it would be something to see for sure, as I don't think anyone in the Senate would convict the person who did it, according to Lindsey Graham back in 2016.

There's no excuse for Texas at all for continuing to elect Ted Cruz. Senate elections are held by majority vote, so there are no technicalities to excuse the state here. And just take a look at what the state chose to elect up and down the ballot in the years that have passed since then. Once again, I hope its pro-fascist population rots in the deepest shithole, and decreases the surplus population. Who knows, it may even die out and deliver the rest of the United States from the shame of having Texas as part of the Union.

Oh, and could we please change the thread title to US Politics 2021: Democracy Fights Back, US Politics 2021: Death to QAnon, or something? A new thread or title is really called for, since we are loong past 2017, with a new president and a different Congress, and Covid is a thing. Needless to say, 2021 is a much different game than 2017.
It's ****ing Cancun Cruz. Who does this surprise? just look at his face, that mofo sweats shamelessness with every day that passes, and every photo of has giant "yeah I'm a POS, so what?" vibes.
Unless you have some Resident Evil level files laying around talking about how their master plan is coming to fruition, you really can’t.

They’re never going to be definitively able to determine the precise origin, and I fear that this investigation is just going to fuel right-wing conspiracy-mongering and not accomplish much else.
It's not so much that they plotted to weaponize it, so much that it was something prolly on study somehow, but they were cheapstakes and sloppy with containment measures. And we know for a fact that China was heavily incompetent and even shady in how it handled the whole issue of COVID, and even the mask stuff, etc, etc. Basically even if they didn't use it as a weapon, China failed bigly on controlling and it's done enormous damage to their international image. What's most likely to come if anything out of any "it came from a lab" report is pretty much cold-era style politics of shaming the other to death.

JourneymanN00b

It's ****ing Cancun Cruz. Who does this surprise? just look at his face, that mofo sweats shamelessness with every day that passes, and every photo of has giant "yeah I'm a POS, so what?" vibes.

Probably no one. It's just another reason why Texas' population needs to rot, as there is no getting through its pro-fascist voters. In fact, whenever I run into a MAGAT slimebag nowadays, I tell them that they need to **** off in Texas and Arkansas, as there are plenty of their kind here where they can die a painful death.

Here's another reason why the state is not going to change its ways:

Oh, and I am still hoping for a new thread title change.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yea I don't think he will either. It's beyond insulting that people such as himself are getting away with such blatant crimes.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
If they handed Trump consequences, it would mean ALL rich people suddenly would be open to such, including members of all branches of the current government.

The double-edged sword of precedent-based lawmaking rears its ugly, snarling head.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Betting it's just a performative move though.

bobjr

Staff member
The GOP in several states have actually done this to kill several bills, and honestly at this point you might as well do the same thing. There's some weird contingent that swears that the GOP is just one inspiring speech away from working together, but they're literally subservient to Trump and taking power to themselves now.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member