• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
In other words, not getting the vaccine is almost a suicidal choice that can spread to others. People are free to choose, but seriously, with how deadly this virus is, it's...a rather bad choice not to take the vaccine at all while hoping the unvaccinated will somehow avoid it while it's around. I really can't help blaming them because they're extending this pandemic too much (doesn't help they're most likely jerks).

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Yes people should get vaccinated but I will never co sign that you should force people to do anything against their will at least in accordance to their bodies. It’s just too much of a slippery slope and violates a person’s individual rights to their own body. Do these people deserve to be in the public where they can harm everybody? No. And I think it’s honestly useless discourse on if they’re to “blame” for being infected. It sounds like you’re getting petty “revenge” on this darn anti vaxxers!!! If they get infected natural selection is all I have to say.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Would you blame someone for getting blown up by a landmine after running across a field with big signs that say "Don't run here it's full of landmines"? With anti-vaxxers it's the same thing, except they hurt others through their actions, and in a lot of cases it's children who don't get to make a choice themselves.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think a difference should be pointed out between the anti-vax movement and people who just haven't received the vaccine yet.

There are enough well-intended people who just haven't received their doses. By all means, they should, but there is some reason they haven't yet. For these types of people, they will eventually listen to reason and take the vaccine. I have no patience with the "it's my choice" movement or the anti-vax movement, but we should encourage others who just haven't taken the vaccine to take it.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I think a difference should be pointed out between the anti-vax movement and people who just haven't received the vaccine yet.

There are enough well-intended people who just haven't received their doses. By all means, they should, but there is some reason they haven't yet. For these types of people, they will eventually listen to reason and take the vaccine. I have no patience with the "it's my choice" movement or the anti-vax movement, but we should encourage others who just haven't taken the vaccine to take it.
Hell, poverty is a big reason why many can't take it.

Hence why appeasing anyone right of center by a right of center president for bullshite reasons is a suicidal move for democracy and humanity.

bobjr

Staff member
From a global perspective the most poor nations will not receive vaccines because of richer nations getting them first, outside of rich people in those nations.

From an American perspective people in poverty are not getting the vaccine at the same rates as higher earning brackets, but there’s debate over what the reasons are or what’s the most contributing factor. Since while travel to get a vaccine is hardest in poor communities, the most poor states like Mississippi are very conservative, to the point where interracial relationships barely have positive support.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
From a global perspective the most poor nations will not receive vaccines because of richer nations getting them first, outside of rich people in those nations.

From an American perspective people in poverty are not getting the vaccine at the same rates as higher earning brackets, but there’s debate over what the reasons are or what’s the most contributing factor. Since while travel to get a vaccine is hardest in poor communities, the most poor states like Mississippi are very conservative, to the point where interracial relationships barely have positive support.
THIS.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Multiple people have been killed and hospitalized by the virus despite being fully vaccinated

and how many of them contracted the virus before the 2 week period for the body to build up the immunity was up to par??

a cruise ship had to be quarantined and cancelled because crew with 2 vaccinations were on staff BEFORE the 2 weeks needed to get full protection was there. so yes they had their 2 shots but they didnt bother to wait for it to kick in and provide protection from catching the virus. USA is a breeding ground for new variants due to American stupidity in refusing vaccinations. nature will find ways to adapt if you dont properly stamp it out before it gets out of control and manageable.

i got a hypothetical question for you, say you took some major surgery and the stitches are not even 1hr new. you run 2 full marathons right after the surgery is completed and dont give your body time to heal. when the wounds reopen, do you blame "faulty stitches" or plain old stupidity for reopening your wounds??

nel3

Crimson Dragon
covid is getting a free hall pass due to American stupidity in vaccine refusal so its only natural the virus mutates. i dont really find such news like that surprising from USA given their natural selection process. i was also pointing out that getting 2 shots doesnt give instant immunity to so whatever one usually does in non pandemic situation. catching covid before your body is fully prepared to fight it isnt suprising.

bobjr

Staff member
The vaccine protects you 70% more from variants if I remember right, which if everyone had would drastically reduce numbers.

Things like the plague and TB are still around today, but a huge part of why they aren’t as big is because people aren’t spreading it around and we have herd immunity.

But don’t treat it like the vaccine is just some little help, it’s actually a literal miracle considering how well it works and how little time it took to come up.

Zora

perpetually tired
The vaccine protects you 70% more from variants if I remember right, which if everyone had would drastically reduce numbers.

Things like the plague and TB are still around today, but a huge part of why they aren’t as big is because people aren’t spreading it around and we have herd immunity.

But don’t treat it like the vaccine is just some little help, it’s actually a literal miracle considering how well it works and how little time it took to come up.

closer to 90%, actually, for pfizer at least (modern is similar, so probably the same figure).

A study based on real-world data from the U.K. found that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine were 88% effective at preventing COVID-19 as a result of an infection with the Delta variant. That’s just a notch down from the 95% efficacy it demonstrated in clinical trials against earlier, less transmissible strains.

And herd immunity is based on three factors: efficacy, population vaccinated (or otherwise unsuspectible), and transmissiblity. The fact COVID is highly transmissible, and newer variants like beta and delta make it more transmissible, basically means the longer we take the vaccinate, the more likely herd immunity is impossible. I suspect the Biden Administration has already given up on herd immunity, and is looking at an 'COVID is an endemic disease' exit strategy, because we aren't vaccinating people faster than the virus mutates.

bobjr

Staff member
One fun side effect of not enough people getting vaccinated is those who did get vaccinated will need extra booster shots to keep up after a year or so, making it even more selfish for those who refuse to get a free vaccination.

I’m sure they would be pushed anyway, but it makes it more necessary to not make things worse again.

Also that’s true for above, I forgot it was already good and proven to be even more effective than expected, but not perfect. It’s another one of those “science comes out and proves again and again that the vaccines work, but dumb people need to wait for reasons they can only vaguely describe”

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
"In Paris, demonstrators clashed with police after French President Emmanuel Macron announced sweeping measures to fight the pandemic earlier this week. He mandated vaccinations for all health-care workers and said new rules would require unvaccinated people to show negative coronavirus tests before entering bars, restaurants and other entertainment venues.
Also this week, Greek authorities said all medical workers would need to be immunized or face penalties, and only vaccinated individuals would be allowed to use public indoor spaces until Aug. 31, through the height of Greece’s tourism season. The policies prompted demonstrations in Athens, where thousands gathered outside parliament Wednesday under heavy police presence, Reuters reported."

civil unrest in France, Greek and other countries after recent covid laws

It's called people having trouble being told "no", regardless of the context.

bobjr

Staff member
It isn't hard to realize that people will cut off their nose to spite their face. Plus the weird concept people have where it's freedom from all restrictions and responsibilities in life instead of working together for a social good.

Being against the COVID vaccine (and masks, etc.) is now basically an identity, membership in a movement against the evil elites who drink children’s blood or whatever crackpot garbage is all the rage these days. This increases the social and personal costs of changing that belief immensely.

BGMaxie

It isn't hard to realize that people will cut off their nose to spite their face. Plus the weird concept people have where it's freedom from all restrictions and responsibilities in life instead of working together for a social good.

Being against the COVID vaccine (and masks, etc.) is now basically an identity, membership in a movement against the evil elites who drink children’s blood or whatever crackpot garbage is all the rage these days. This increases the social and personal costs of changing that belief immensely.
Yes it is entirely a political issue at this point. Going anti mask is just flashing gang signs now.

More of that here

Ascended Dialga

Cancun Cruz attacking Texas Democrats for fleeing the state.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Cancun Cruz attacking Texas Democrats for fleeing the state.

Hilariously, he's claiming the Texas Constitution give "clear legal authority" for them to arrest the Texas Democrats and force them back into quorum, but the Constitution does not actually provide such authority and Texas state troopers don't have jurisdiction outside of the state.

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...as-democrats-voting-bill-ted-cruz/7990303002/

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/texas-house-votes-to-track-down-arrest-absent-democrats

What a clown.