• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Biden's been as much of a failure for his party as Trump. Trump saw Arizona and Georgia slip away, and the same goes for Biden with Virginia.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I must be horribly misunderstanding you, but it seems to me the logical extrapolation of this argument is that we should never try to do the right thing and fix problems because that's what fascists do and we'll become fascists if we do it.

Maybe the facts that fascists are apparently trying to do what they think is the right thing and fix things that they think are wrong aren't the problem, maybe it's, like, the fact they dehumanize, oppress, and kill innocent people. Maybe that's the real problem.
I guess the best way to sum up what I'm saying is it's perfectly fine to not tolerate facism. I always say that if you see something, say something. Just don't get so involved in it that you become the very thing you're fighting against.

Biden's been as much of a failure for his party as Trump. Trump saw Arizona and Georgia slip away, and the same goes for Biden with Virginia.
I don't know if I'd say that he's been a failure as much as that culture itself has changed since he took office. That coupled with the fact that people are becoming 'war weary' because of that virus which must not be named.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This went under the radar, but Republican Party may boycott Commission on Presidential Debates. CoPD is a famously anti-democratic institution that was invented by both parties to stop third parties from entering the discussion (billmoyers.com has a good series of old articles about this), so this is actually a good thing. What this will mean IRL is probably both parties just rallying for their respective bases instead of discussing with each other, but that's standard procedure for non-Anglophone countries (and historically the case in Anglophone countries).

Primary debates are not conducted by the CoPD, so this will have no impact on them.

(And yes, this essentially a repeat of E3's increasing irrelevance, but for US presidential politics. Bernie already did the livestream thing twice, so that might just become standard for post-Biden Dem candidates.)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Anyways, now that I live outside of the US, it is nice to laugh at their political problems.
Laughing outside the US is okay if your country isn't neighbours with them and all their big **** show politics send ripples through your own country. I personally don't like Biden (seen some creepy videos of him with children lol) but if I was from the US, I would vote for Biden any day over Trump. I am hoping Trump dies before the next election and that Biden gets too old to run and you get some youngians in politics.

I feel like the better countries have younger people in power and the countries with old people in power just go downhill, but I don't know stats. All I know is Russia, China, and the US need to get better people in politics who aren't older than 65 and ready to go to the grave. I was going to include England, but Boris is surprisingly under 60, just looks horrible for his age.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The big problem is it’s much easier to tear down and destroy vs build up, the former is what Trump did and the latter is what Biden needs to do, but so far he’s been pretty passive and fallen into a few easily avoidable traps.

There’s also the issue of him supposed to be the person who knew everyone and could work out deals to get some stuff done instead of working around the system, but he also appears unable to do either. Manchin and Sinema are arguably more to blame individually because of how either hypocritical and outright wrong they are on the issues, but at some point you have to do more than talks that keep going nowhere, especially when the GOP is still doing their best on state levels to ruin things like voting rights.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I feel like the better countries have younger people in power and the countries with old people in power just go downhill, but I don't know stats. All I know is Russia, China, and the US need to get better people in politics who aren't older than 65 and ready to go to the grave. I was going to include England, but Boris is surprisingly under 60, just looks horrible for his age.

I think there's somewhat of a stigma against younger people in politics, especially in national politics, that they think younger people are inexperienced and they need to work their way up from the lower levels to be qualified for a position on the national level. And there are also age requirements, you have to be 25 to run for the House, 30 to run for Senate, and 35 to run for President. I don't think this is really going to change much and inexperience is a valid concern, you don't want someone running the country that doesn't know what they're doing.

What I think the younger people do need to have more of an effect on politics is more activism. There is a growing sense of the leaders being appointed to positions of power in politics and business not having our best interests so having the ability to galvanize others into pressuring leaders into enacting better policies will be much more impactful during their younger days. Besides, if they work their way up from local positions to national positions there's a high chance they're going to be corrupted by incumbent leaders.

bobjr

Staff member
The problem on the opposite end is we have a bunch of old rich people who are out of touch with what the average person deals with on a day to day basis. Only a few percent of elected officials on a national level aren’t millionaires when they’re elected, and just look at any bill discussion about the internet to see how uninformed the people writing laws see things.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The problem on the opposite end is we have a bunch of old rich people who are out of touch with what the average person deals with on a day to day basis. Only a few percent of elected officials on a national level aren’t millionaires when they’re elected, and just look at any bill discussion about the internet to see how uninformed the people writing laws see things.

They don't seem to want to get informed either because they don't care about what the average person deals with. They just want money and power. This is why the Republicans are turning to fascism, their policies are so regressive because it gets them more money and they don't want to adapt to the 21st century because they'd end up biting the bullet and making less, so instead of updating their policies to what people actually want, they want to control what people think and who votes for who. What the US really needs is to wrestle control away from said millionaires and enact policies that get money out of politics. Democracy cannot work if people's "votes" (read: campaign/policy funding) are unequal.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hot take but conservatism is fundamentally fascistic and has been since the dawn of time.

What we really need is to collectively as a country take a deep, long, hard look at power structures and how they function, what archaic ideas and presuppositions might be baked into them that don't serve us, and how people abuse them, and then start thinking about how we can restructure them to rectify those problems. I don't think there is a single magic bullet solution to all of our social problems.

Getting money out of politics is probably a step we'll have to take along the way, but by no means the be-all-end-all solution. In reality, it's going to be a long, messy, difficult process. Some people desire security more than anything else, and social change challenges that fundamental desire, so they will resist it in the face of all logic. That's unfortunately what we're up against, but we must change as a society because as it stands what we are doing is unsustainable and frankly horrible to its most disenfranchised members.

There's also the fact that a good half or so of this country denies that there's even a problem in the first place, largely due to personal incentives.

bobjr

Staff member
Conservatism relies on an underclass of people to function well, which goes against equal rights advocacy. How much the underclass is below others can differ, but no matter what there needs to be a clear divide.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Interesting. What's your reasoning for thinking this? I can buy that fascism is extremist conservatism, but I'm struggling to see how fascism is the natural conclusion of conservatism.
I should probably have been a little clearer but I wanted to be a wiseass and make a short, snappy comment. I don't necessarily think that all conservatives are Nazis and I think fascism is generally a sort of spectrum, and most (if not all) people have some fascistic tendencies that they need to be aware of and try to compensate for (I certainly do). Here's an interesting video that touches on a similar concept (potential fascism as opposed to actual fascism). In my opinion, conservative ideologies usually find themselves much deeper on that spectrum.

That being said, I do think that fascism is the logical endpoint of conservatism most of the time (the only times it isn't is when that particular conservative ideology is held in check by non-conservative values). As bobjr said, every variant of conservatism relies either on an underclass or an out-group to function, and radical ideas of racial, ethnic, and ideological purity are the natural endpoint of such thinking.

In a way, I feel like you kind of admit this yourself. You say that you can accept that fascism is extremist conservatism. Doesn't that make it the natural conclusion of conservatism? If you allow most ideologies to play out unchecked by outside influences, do they not end up at their most extreme variants? I think it's kind of baked into human nature that if you think something is right, you have no incentive to stop doing it.

This is why diversity is necessary for a healthy society to function as it does introduce these checks and restraints that, in theory, help prevent extremist ideologies from emerging. In fact, I think it's telling that, historically, the first step for fascist parties has been to attempt to undermine and invalidate the very concept of diversity. The Nazis sold the idea of racial purity, which is fundamentally incompatible with diversity and offered a platform for their most abhorrent ideas about the inferiority of other races and ethnicities. They eroded what was keeping the conservative ways of thinking that many German citizens already had from reaching its logical endpoint, and so it did, and millions of innocent people paid the price for it.

Conservatism is always adversarial to diversity (as we've said, it relies on an out-group or underclass of some kind to function), so I don't think it's much of a logical leap to say that fascism is the natural endpoint of conservative ideologies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Meanwhile in Oceania, Papua New Guinea removed the death penalty, again.

This leaves Tonga as the last country in Oceania to retain it. We don't know which countries will abolish it later in 2022, since Covid removed the transparency in legislations.

Guys, really sorry for posting this one but I had to release it out of me.

People: DEFUND THE POLICE!
Also people: Why the heck is the crime rate so high?

Please ignore this post and carry on with your day. Thank you. :)

bobjr

Staff member
That might be consistent if any police station has actually been defunded. Even the places that brought up the idea have either backed down or gone the other way with it.

First of all, crime is still down in most regards, just a very specific aspect of crime is up a little, and police are getting more money than ever.

Also no duh violent crime would go up a little the year after everyone is quarantined and not going out. Was that fact going to surprise people?

That might be consistent if any police station has actually been defunded. Even the places that brought up the idea have either backed down or gone the other way with it.

First of all, crime is still down in most regards, just a very specific aspect of crime is up a little, and police are getting more money than ever.

Also no duh violent crime would go up a little the year after everyone is quarantined and not going out. Was that fact going to surprise people?
Where I am from we have a subway system. It is called New York City.

But yes, you are right. The amount of crime in NYC is pretty ridiculous. Even worse, not much is being FIXED. Just got kind of pissed off again and remembered my problem with the police.