• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The courts ordered Alabama to draw a map with two black-majority districts. This is great news and makes up for brutal gerrymandering in states like Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, and Michigan.

Phillies

The courts ordered Alabama to draw a map with two black-majority districts. This is great news and makes up for brutal gerrymandering in states like Tennessee, Texas, Georgia, and Michigan.

Can someone explain to me why they don't use county lines when drawing up these districts? One county near where I live is divided up between 3 different districts. You would think that it would be easier for them to actually do their jobs if they were representing people with similar interests instead of representing a district that could touch 7 or 8 counties and possibly having conflicting interests.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Can someone explain to me why they don't use county lines when drawing up these districts? One county near where I live is divided up between 3 different districts. You would think that it would be easier for them to actually do their jobs if they were representing people with similar interests instead of representing a district that could touch 7 or 8 counties and possibly having conflicting interests.
Just political gain, I guess. In Michigan it's especially bad, as the map goes from 8-6 to 9-4. Michigan is soon going to turn into a very red state.

Phillies

Because Democrats are promoting it.

Hope you're recovering, by the way.
It seemed like the Republicans were okay with the vaccine until Biden had a stated goal for last summer. After that it was open season on it which really ticks me off because you know they are all vaccinated even if they say they aren't. Same with the people at Fox. I remember reading that they were one of the first to mandate vaccines to return to work and now look at them.
Just political gain, I guess. In Michigan it's especially bad, as the map goes from 8-6 to 9-4. Michigan is soon going to turn into a very red state.
It's all about power with them. They should just bundle them by neighboring counties and base the number of reps on population. After every census change the number of reps based on population growth or loss. It just seems so much easier that way instead of having to go to court every time because whoever is in charge changes them to favor their party.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So I've seen "critical race theory" being thrown around, and while you can already get an idea of what it means through the words and context of where it's being used, I went to Wikipedia to see if I could get a more complete idea of what it really meant. From what I understand, all it really is is teaching about systematic racism, and how it's rests subtly in society rather than always being overt. On one hand, I feel like the messaging of Republicans on CRT conflicts with how CRT actually works. It seems to me that you can teach CRT as a way to understand black history and oppression without saying that the forefathers were downright awful people. On the other hand, I could see Republicans being afraid of this because of economic inequality, which many in the GOP don't want to really fix.

This hearkens back to when Beto O'Roarke, during the Texas Senate election, was accused of calling police officers, "the new Jim Crow", which Beto was actually using to describe systematic racism (citing police incidents as part of it, but not police as a whole).

One thing that bothers me about GOP regarding CRT is this: Many Republicans don't want it taught in schools, but if you are going to mention the ideas of civil rights activists, then isn't it inevitable? You don't even have to agree with CRT to think it's part of historical thought. What if some student asks why there is still prejudice when there was already a civil rights movement? How would you even explain that without CRT?

If I have the idea of CRT wrong, then feel free to correct me. I just haven't really took the time to find out what it actually meant.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
CRT is basically "forget slavery on black people ever existed so everyone in the present is happy while us whites can safely demean black people further with much less punishment."
I thought CRT was trying to challenge all that, while the GOP was trying to get rid of CRT in schools.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I've seen "critical race theory" being thrown around, and while you can already get an idea of what it means through the words and context of where it's being used, I went to Wikipedia to see if I could get a more complete idea of what it really meant. From what I understand, all it really is is teaching about systematic racism, and how it's rests subtly in society rather than always being overt. On one hand, I feel like the messaging of Republicans on CRT conflicts with how CRT actually works. It seems to me that you can teach CRT as a way to understand black history and oppression without saying that the forefathers were downright awful people. On the other hand, I could see Republicans being afraid of this because of economic inequality, which many in the GOP don't want to really fix.
The Wikipedia article is probably not the best place to start. The introduction to that article does not make it easy to understand what CRT really is because its wrapped up in academic language.

This article from edweek.org (https://www.edweek.org/leadership/what-is-critical-race-theory-and-why-is-it-under-attack/2021/05) does a pretty good job of explaining CRT in an approachable manner.

Kids aren't being taught Critical Race Theory in school. It's a complex topic that covers history, economics, and legal frameworks that are too complex and deep for everything except a high school AP-level class. Its just being used as a boogie-man to push back against more inclusive lessons and teaching methods.

Or as I like to say when replying to people who complain about CRT on the Facebook parents page for my kid's school district, "Congratulations on having your kindergartener being in law school."

Phillies

CRT is basically "forget slavery on black people ever existed so everyone in the present is happy while us whites can safely demean black people further with much less punishment."
Don't forget the treatment of Native Americans and the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII while the German Americans avoided such punishment.
I thought CRT was trying to challenge all that, while the GOP was trying to get rid of CRT in schools.
I think the GOP official stance on that is that they don't want white kids to learn anything that would hurt their feelings. Which is stupid because they will learn about it anyway.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I think the GOP official stance on that is that they don't want white kids to learn anything that would hurt their feelings. Which is stupid because they will learn about it anyway.
Nah. They don't want kids learning about things that would hurt the parent's feelings or challenge their worldviews.

Phillies

Nah. They don't want kids learning about things that would hurt the parent's feelings or challenge their worldviews.
I agree that that is the truth, but I have seen them use the kids' feelings as a reason why it shouldn't be taught. Basically, it is another way for them to divide the country.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Yeah, at it's base the theory is literally just "Laws written neutrally are not applied neutrally when it comes to race"

And look at drug convictions by race when it comes to the same crime for evidence. The problem like at least 70% of the other times is it's become the buzzword that sounded the best to fit all their made up grievances.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
how idiotic, Biden says he will fix all the crumbling infrastructure touting that 1.8bllion bill will do that. what happened to that 3.7 billion or so bill he originally wanted???

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The giant orange wants to pardon all of the Jan 6th rioters if he runs again and wins. This is precisely why he should be banned from attempting to run for President ever again. It’s his fault that the riot happened since he told them to go to the Capitol and did nothing to stop it when it happened. And he did let the Covid situation get out of control and didn’t listen when told that the situation was worse than he thought.

Phillies

The giant orange wants to pardon all of the Jan 6th rioters if he runs again and wins. This is precisely why he should be banned from attempting to run for President ever again. It’s his fault that the riot happened since he told them to go to the Capitol and did nothing to stop it when it happened. And he did let the Covid situation get out of control and didn’t listen when told that the situation was worse than he thought.
How many of them would already be dead if they were any race but white.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Well, I guess that's up to the people. If voting really works as some have claimed, then the people should have the power to make it aaaaaaaaaall better at the polls. I personally don't think things will get better, even if he doesn't get into office. But hey, some people like to dream.

How many of them would already be dead if they were any race but white.
The military probably would've branded them terrorists and enacted a massacre.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
One of my dad’s friends made jokes about Biden and questioned if he was even fit for office since he seems to forget things. I reminded that friend that Ronald Regan had shown signs of Alzheimer’s a couple years into his first term and he forgot parts to speeches and he still got a second term. I don’t think Biden will run for re-election given that he’d be in his 80s by then and it’s not a good idea to have a President that old in office as he could die at any given moment. I sort of think there should be an age limit to being President where you can’t be 80 or older unless you were elected between 75 to 77 and your term ends after you turn 80.