• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So everyone's (least) favorite misinformation profiteer Alex Jones got handed a $49.3M verdict in one of several cases against him for his blatant slander and defamation against the parents of the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre. Sounds like a good thing, right? Well, a couple things have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

The first of which is, thanks to a loophole in Texas law, the actual amount of damages Jones will have to pay is capped to a far smaller amount (here's a video that explains it; the creator, a lawyer practicing in, I believe, South Carolina, believes that the actual amount paid will be less than $1M). $1M is a slap on the wrist for Jones; he's made many, many times that amount pushing poisonous rhetoric like the lies that landed him in court in the first place. Even the full $49.3M verdict pales in comparison to the amount of money his network brings in pushing divisive reactionary toxicity. In addition, it seems the verdict allows Jones to stall the other pending trials brought against him in other states.

The second of which is Jones's egregious conduct throughout the entire trial. Because I have nothing better to do at the moment I've been watching recordings of the trials, and on more occasions than I can keep track of Jones and his lawyer have flagrantly done things that would get most people, at the very least, a contempt of court charge. Everything from blatantly lying under oath (and being called out on it by the judge on at least two occasions) to refusing to produce evidence demanded by discovery. Apparently anti-perjury laws only apply to us plebs who don't have multi-million dollar media empires at our disposal.

While, on the surface, this verdict seems like a win, the reality is it's just an empty show victory. The average person sees a $49.3M verdict and thinks he got what he deserves, while legal loopholes designed to protect rich capitalists soften the blow to a slap on the wrist. This man destroyed the lives of people who were already left in a vulnerable state by a horrific tragedy beyond most people's comprehension. With his lies and the army of rabid followers who lap them up like dogs, he did incalculable damage to their mental well-being at a time when they were already compromised. They faced death threats and vitriol like nobody deserves, least of all someone who just lost their kid in a school shooting. Jones deserves prison time for knowingly peddling false information that lead to the harm of these parents. No dollar amount will fix this, especially when there's so many protections in place that will prevent him from ever paying the full amount anyways.

We'll see what comes of Jones's other pending trials, but I don't think we'll see true justice unless the man ends up in prison, and I somewhat doubt that will happen.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
This was originally going to be a Ukraine post, but Chinese real estate crisis seems to have triggered a global financial crisis.

For those who forgot, the Evergrande crisis has now expanded to other real estate developers, and Chinese economic forecasts have been slashed significantly, with China possibly declining in terms of nominal GDP due to devaluation of yuan and inflation (which would not be technical recession if it doesn't impact GDP PPP). Currently Laos is under the threat of a Sri Lanka style collapse (which would also mean the end of the communist government there), with Bangladesh possibly being the next victim after that.

In terms of the developed world, US is in a technical recession, and Japanese yen and Euro are performing horrendously due to their decoupling from Russia, and the real estate collapse in China (which was a main engine for various European investment funds). Without the backing of Russian oil, and the coming expansion of the Eurozone to Croatia and Bulgaria, Euro is expected to become much, much weaker, threatening several countries like Egypt that exist in Europe's periphery.

If a China forces a repeat of the 90s Asian crises (since there were multiple of those, not just the 1997 one), the global economy would need to find another engine of growth. Otherwise, since China will suffer from stagnant growth for years (by Chinese standards, ie. around %3-4), the global economy will be plunged into a decade long chaos, if not outright a decade long recession (or by whenever Russo-Ukrainian war ends, which could be decades). If China enters into a full blown recession, then the amount of chaos that will follow will be greater than anything we have seen so far.

Of course, I'm not even talking about the human cost that would be caused when winter comes.

JourneymanN00b

It's beginning to look a lot like Kristallnacht
Everywhere you go
Take a look at the White House and Capitol, insurrectionists are gathering once again
With tear gas and gallows that glow

Racists in every street
But the ugliest sight to see is the fascist that will be
On Alaska’s House seat

Bogus investigations in Hillary’s emails and Benghazi
Is the wish of Kevin and Jim
Raped girls who’ll give forced births and then die
Is the hope of Elise and Marjorie
And Donald and Ron can hardly wait for democracy to disappear again

Everywhere you go
There's espionage from the Mar-a-Lago, violence against the FBI as well
It's violent suppression that’s falling down like snow

Soon the Russians will start
And the thing that'll make 'em swell is the nuclear capabilities that Donald will sell
From within the country’s heart

Racists in every street
But the ugliest sight to see is the fascist that will be
On Alaska’s House seat

Sure, it's Kristallnacht once more

This song sums up my thoughts after I finished looking at the updated results in the Alaska At-Large Congressional District special election.

Alaska, you could have elected Santa Claus as your next U.S. Representative, which would have been the coolest thing that the state could have done in over six decades. Instead, it chose the lowest of the low. I don’t need to wait until August 31 to find out that the state elected the dumb, unrepentant fascist that is Sarah Palin, who encouraged future Capitol stormings in her campaign. The ceiling is not high enough for a Democrat to win nowadays (see Al Gross’ 2020 Senate loss to know what I mean). In short, you sent a message that the United States should transform into the Fourth Reich and eliminate anyone who does not fit in with the Trump dictatorship. Alaska should have NEVER been admitted to the Union back in 1959, as it has only dragged the rest of the country down for the past 40 years, and should instead be annexed to Russia to free the rest of us from its continuing torment.

Holy CHRIST, does the state keep giving me reasons to hate it with every fiber of my being.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Gavin Newsom said that the sale of new gas-powered vehicles in California will be illegal by 2035.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The redacted Trump Search Warrant affidavit is out, and while most of the supporting points are redacted, there is enough in there to see that he’s screwed.

Phillies

And Trump is super uber screwed now:

Literally stole documents that are always supposed to be under lock and key at a facility at ALL TIMES.
Sadly this means nothing to Trump’s enablers as well as his millions of followers. The enablers will just keep spreading lies to not make seem as bad as it really is while his followers will just eat it up and probably riot if they actually arrest Trump for his many crimes.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Man, Twitter is ON FIRE with this Elizabeth II news.

Half the site is devastated she's gone, while the other half is chuffed to bits. I won't lie, I completely understand why many would be relieved by the monarch's passing, particularly those from nations colonized by the British Empire. I'm not here to judge anyone on either side. I'm just reeling from seeing all the headbutting.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Man, Twitter is ON FIRE with this Elizabeth II news.

Half the site is devastated she's gone, while the other half is chuffed to bits. I won't lie, I completely understand why many would be relieved by the monarch's passing, particularly those from nations colonized by the British Empire. I'm not here to judge anyone on either side. I'm just reeling from seeing all the headbutting.
I thought she would live at least another five years. She seemed to be like Betty White in that both were very well known figures and both seem to be immortal or at least close to it. It’s also weird that she died just as the Pokémon generation based on the UK is wrapping up.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Eh, the Queen was basically a celebrity figure that people go head over heels over.

I thought she would live at least another five years. She seemed to be like Betty White in that both were very well known figures and both seem to be immortal or at least close to it. It’s also weird that she died just as the Pokémon generation based on the UK is wrapping up.
Contrast: Betty White actively denounced racism.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
In some international news....

Russian frontlines are collapsing. Especially in the northeast around Kharkiv.