• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Maedar

Banned
Touche, but FDR had a few things in his favor.

One. Harding took the blame for the Great Depression, so likely, most people regretted not voting for Cox.

Second, during the twelve year interim, FDR was a moderately successful governor of New York, and had made a name for himself in the Democrat Party, distancing himself from Cox.

Paul Ryan has not done that. He has "Romney" written all over him, and it shows.

The problem is, YFU, I'm starting to wonder if Ryan was any better a choice for the position than Sarah Palin was. You saw his budget plan. It was wishful thinking. Not only would it never happen, the GOP would be in a crisis if it actually was passed, because they could NOT have made it happen. Ryan just doesn't know how to do his job.

John Madden

resident policy guy
One. Harding took the blame for the Great Depression, so likely, most people regretted not voting for Cox.

well, not really - it was a combination of people blaming Hoover for the Depression and people blaming Hoover's attempts at stimulus for the economy continuing to worsen

Harding and Coolidge didn't really play into anything as far as public opinion c. 1932 went

BigLutz

Banned
Chris Christie: One word: Bridgegate. His popularity is falling like a brick.

Do you honestly think people will care about it in 2016? Especially if it is used in the primary season and becomes a non topic by the time the election rolls around?

Marco Rubio: Won't even be nominated. The more ultra-conservative GOPs are sure to remember this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/marco-rubio-gay-marriage_n_4569472.html

Rubio is actually helping the Democrats far more than any actual Democrat in Florida.

John McCain and Mitt Romney say hi about being moderate Republicans

Scott Walker. Scandals are plaguing him too, and stuff like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/14/wisconsin-secession_n_5147443.html

...are making him look like a fool.

Really? You attribute that to him? Something he has no control over?

Bobby Jindal: He opposes anti-discrimination laws: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/09/marco-rubio-gay-marriage_n_4569472.html

Defended Phil Robertson's comparison of homosexuality to bestiality: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/search.php/?q=Bobby+Jindal

And I'll let this one speak for itself: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/07/eric-holder-bobby-jindal_n_4921083.html

You must admit, he has no chance.

Kind of like Obama being connected to a terrorist and a rabid preacher? Yeah no way that guy could be elected.

Rand Paul: One word: Plagiarism. (You people complain that Mr. Obama uses a teleprompter, but at least he doesn't copy other people's work.) Anyone with an MA knows that this act is an unforgivable crime in academia, and all Ms. Clinton has to do is mention it in her ads. Not to mention, Paul wants pilots to carry guns, and made a racist comment aimed at Mr. Obama shown here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/rand-paul-nsa_n_4994953.html

First: How was that a racist comment?
Second: No one cares about a plagiarism scandal

Paul Ryan: Have you even read Ryan's budget plan? Not only did both he and the rest of the GOP know it would never be voted on by the Senate - let alone signed by the President - but it simply would not have worked. There were no provisions in the plan at all to pay for any of the initiatives. Ryan is hailed by the GOP as a "financial genius", and yet, he has done nothing to show it.

You realize he is one of the best to describe his plan, and his knowledge and smarts have even been acknowledged by Obama

I notice you didn't mention Janet Brewer, another name that is often brought up, but I'll mention her anyway. the fact that she even considered signing that legalized discrimination bill makes her reviled in even her own state. She's out too.

No one will care, especially in the primary

I've given my reasons.

What baggage does Ms. Clinton have? All I've heard from the GOP is her age and Benghazi, a phony scandal which is embarrassing the Republicans more than ever now.

Libya? Russia? Just to name two?

The problem is, YFU, I'm starting to wonder if Ryan was any better a choice for the position than Sarah Palin was. You saw his budget plan. It was wishful thinking. Not only would it never happen, the GOP would be in a crisis if it actually was passed, because they could NOT have made it happen. Ryan just doesn't know how to do his job.

If "Not knowing how to produce a budget" was a killer for the Presidency, then Obama would never have been reelected. How many of the White House budgets have actually passed Congress? I believe the last few have been DOA with almost no one, not even Democrats voting for it.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Do you honestly think people will care about it in 2016? Especially if it is used in the primary season and becomes a non topic by the time the election rolls around?
It's entirely possible that Bridgeghazi could derail his governorship and keep him from running altogether. If things get worse for Christie, it's entirely possible the legislature impeaches him or he ends up being recalled. This is all hypothetical, of course, but to say this scandal hasn't significantly hurt Christie's chances in 2016 is simply naive.

Anyway, this is how I'd rank the GOP primary, based on who I think is most likely to win the nomination:
1. Jeb Bush
2. Scott Walker
3. Rand Paul
4. Chris Christie
5. Mike Huckabee
6. Marco Rubio
7. Ted Cruz
8. Paul Ryan
9. Rick Santorum
10. Rob Portman

BigLutz

Banned
It's entirely possible that Bridgeghazi could derail his governorship and keep him from running altogether. If things get worse for Christie, it's entirely possible the legislature impeaches him or he ends up being recalled. This is all hypothetical, of course, but to say this scandal hasn't significantly hurt Christie's chances in 2016 is simply naive.

I think if things continue as they are right now: ie a staffer was responsible. Then it can clearly run out of steam by 2016, especially if their opponents use it in the primaries like Obama and Reverend Wright in the 2008 primary. I mean does anyone honestly believe the GOP opponents of 2015/2016 wont attack Christie over the Bridge Scandal? Or that Christie will be ready for it? By the time the Democratic nominee gets around to it, there is a very real chance the public will be like "Really? This again? After we just spent half a year hearing about this?"

Edit: Also glad no one is choosing Wendy Davis to win the Texas Governorship, her campaign is collapsing.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Without a doubt, Hilary is by and far the favorite for the Democratic nomination, barring the meteoric rise of another incredibly charismatic upstart who can capture the voters' hearts. At the moment, I see Jeb Bush winning the nomination, although the Tea Party has to be pushed back. For Jeb Bush, well I wonder how much that last name is going to affect his chances. I see a second Clinton winning over a third Bush.

Maedar

Banned
Okay, first you say:

But then you say:

Kind of like Obama being connected to a terrorist and a rabid preacher? Yeah no way that guy could be elected.

...contradicting your own words about how long an opposing party can care about something. In the same post.

Edit: Also glad no one is choosing Wendy Davis to win the Texas Governorship, her campaign is collapsing.

Why? Because of the claims she was an unfit mother, which her children are publically debunking? Her detractors are trying to twist her words. When a woman is "separated" from her husband, she's far closer to "divorced" than she is to "happily married". You're just using the "exact words" argument again.

Meanwhile, her opponent is using Ted Nugent, of all people to promote him, and refuses to condemn his clearly racist comment against the President.

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly

Yeah, that's one of the most overrated races this cycle. Glad the media seems to have given up on gushing about it so we can focus on races that are actually going to be competitive

BigLutz

Banned
Okay, first you say:

But then you say:

...contradicting your own words about how long an opposing party can care about something. In the same post.

Umm how was that a contradiction? The Reverend Wright and Bill Ayres stuff had largely been played out before McCain even took his first swing at Obama, so much so McCain barely touched it.

Why? Because of the claims she was an unfit mother, which her children are publically debunking? Her detractors are trying to twist her words. When a woman is "separated" from her husband, she's far closer to "divorced" than she is to "happily married". You're just using the "exact words" argument again.

Meanwhile, her opponent is using Ted Nugent, of all people to promote him, and refuses to condemn his clearly racist comment against the President.

Lets see she used a man for his money, slept around on him, and then dumped him when his money was no longer useful. She is running a awful media campaign, so bad the press in Texas say they have never seen anything like it. She is embroiled in some very bad scanda;s involving her lawfirm and TEXDOT, and she is not even winning the Women vote right now.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
To answer your question, yes, I think it will matter to people. You know why?

During the campaign, every time someone is stuck in a traffic jam, already upset because he's late, and hears a campaign commercial on his car radio, I do believe it will come to mind.

BigLutz

Banned
To answer your question, yes, I think it will matter to people. You know why?

During the campaign, every time someone is stuck in a traffic jam, already upset because he's late, and hears a campaign commercial on his car radio, I do believe it will come to mind.

It depends if candidates use that in commercials, again if it is played out in the primary season, such commercials will start testing poorly with audiences by general election time.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly

Have you looked at any poll in this race? Or Wendy Davis's approval? Davis is toast.

Maedar

Banned
Have you looked at any poll in this race? Or Wendy Davis's approval? Davis is toast.

I don't expect her to win. The sky will fall before she does.

The Texas House broke the rules to stop her filibuster and altered the clock to pass the bill, meaning they did so illegally. Only "tradition" made it valid and prevented a criminal charge against those responsible.

Sadly, however, her opponent is as bad as the current one, and her detractors are exaggerating the situation, telling blatant lies about an honest woman who actually wants what's best for people.

But I do admire her for standing up to them. As I said in another post, that's how Susan B. Anthony started, and despite being a criminal then, not an unfavorite, she was vindicated by history.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
I don't expect her to win. The sky will fall before she does.

The Texas House broke the rules to stop her filibuster and altered the clock to pass the bill, meaning they did so illegally. Only "tradition" made it valid and prevented a criminal charge against those responsible.

Sadly, however, her opponent is as bad as the current one, and her detractors are exaggerating the situation, telling blatant lies about an honest woman who actually wants what's best for people.

You mean wanted the best for her clients

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...r-davis-voted-on-bills-that-aided-clients.ece

BigLutz

Banned

Maedar

Banned
Lutz, let me tell you something, searching for an honest politician could well be a lifelong quest that you'll never complete. Going to criticize Davis for lying? Right. I can fill a book with Governor Perry's lies.

In fact:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/rick-perry/statements/byruling/pants-fire/

Interesting, isn't it?

Here's Davis' entire profile on Politifact:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/wendy-davis/

Not one Pants On Fire yet. Not even one marked False.

Anyway, I know of only one politician in the modern era who was completely honest. Remember this?

"Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I. He won't tell you. I just did."

Walter Mondale was telling the COMPLETE truth when he said that, and what was his reward for his honesty? He lost in a landslide.

"Politics is the art of lying", as Florentine philosopher Niccolò Machiavelli said.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
Lutz, let me tell you something, searching for an honest politician could well be a lifelong quest that you'll never complete. Going to criticize Davis for lying? Right. I can fill a book with Governor Perry's lies.

In fact:

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/rick-perry/statements/byruling/pants-fire/

Interesting, isn't it?

Not one Pants On Fire yet. Not even one marked False
A politician nobody knew about before a year ago and only had five statements judged has a better record on politifact than a governor who served for over a decade and even mounted a presidential campaign? Amazing!

BigLutz

Banned

In fact:

Interesting, isn't it?

Not one Pants On Fire yet. Not even one marked False.

And that makes up for corruption? How about using a husband to get ahead in life and then dumping him with the kids when she was done?