• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
If they were running for Presidency in a different country or in a different time-era, they would be laughed at and wouldn't stand a chance. What a wonderful world we live in.

It's always been this way. The Jefferson/Adams contest for the 3rd presidency was more crazy than this. Roman Senators plotted to kill the other ones and sometimes did. Don't pretend this is anything out of the ordinary.

John Madden

resident policy guy
Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
North Georgia is heavy Trump eh... and since Clinton is actually winning south Georgia, FL doesn't look good for Trump.

Mordent99

Banned

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
His rhetoric just keeps getting worse and worse, and I feel less safe and safe.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Good thing I'm not open about being bi and nonbinary in real life, I feel unsafe about this **** in the first place.

Anyway, since I haven't been here for a couple days or something, reply dump:

Don't get me wrong I will be voting for Hillary most likely this election despite the fact that I supported Bernie in the Primaries.

Okay, hold on, where's the "despite the fact" coming from? Aren't both of them, in a relative sense of the world, liberal in at least some policies?

Also FWIW:

The "top position" that DWS was given is completely meaningless in terms of importance in the campaign - what was it, an "honorary chair"? Those are basically the "you tried" star of campaign positions (much as "honorary degrees" do not actually confer that you completed a degree), and it was probably handed to her so she'd actually quit the DNC instead of continuing to fight absolutely everyone to cling to the position for the last 6 months of her term.

I don't remember what it was, but it was definitely an "honorary" something or other. Completely meaningless. It's a "let them down easy" kind of thing.

One meme I've seen floating around is "let's just look at the candidates based on the issues"

One glaring thing left off is nuclear warfare. Common sense dictates no one thinks it is an acceptable solution so maybe not a huge issue to highlight, however with Trump in the running who thinks nuclear war is in fact an acceptable solution I think this omission is unacceptable.

I think most of us can accept that causing massive, irreparable damage to our world and causing part of it to become impossible to live in is not a good idea; even a lot of people who are deeply racist are probably not big fans of using nuclear weapons on other countries. Never minding what Donald Trump says, the guy clearly knows nothing and we all know that. Nuclear war isn't being talked about because what is there to talk about? How it's really stupid that we still have nuclear weapons? Well, yes, it is. Sometimes our country does stupid ****. There we go.

i'm just gonna point out that this DNCleak stuff doesn't actually seem to have hurt clinton, given that her lead's actually stabilized around 7-9 points (ordinarily it would start going back down right about now) and her favorables are the best they've been since last spring

Most of it is stuff people already knew or believed or speculated about anyway, though, isn't it? Is there anything really big other than "turns out Debbie Wasserman Schulz is an assjack"? Donald Trump is losing points because he's a moron.

It's not if you lie in politics. It's if and how you get caught.

And our friend Hillary is a terrible liar. Trump is pretty sincere in his stupidity.

That's not a good thing, though. I'd rather have a person of at least modest intelligence who is a liar -- even a bad liar -- than someone who's honest who could be outsmarted by one of my dogs.

John Madden

resident policy guy
Most of it is stuff people already knew or believed or speculated about anyway, though, isn't it? Is there anything really big other than "turns out Debbie Wasserman Schulz is an assjack"? Donald Trump is losing points because he's a moron.

Not really, no. Assange said there would be more, but Assange also habitually overpromises and underdelivers except when it comes to endangering the lives of Afghans.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Not really, no. Assange said there would be more, but Assange also habitually overpromises and underdelivers except when it comes to endangering the lives of Afghans.

Julian Assange is a smug, self-aggrandizing prick in general. There was a lot of useless info in at least a few of his other leaks and he talked it up SO MUCH -- both before and after.

Not even mentioning the other problem with him because it's irrelevant.

It's always been this way. The Jefferson/Adams contest for the 3rd presidency was more crazy than this. Roman Senators plotted to kill the other ones and sometimes did. Don't pretend this is anything out of the ordinary.

Death threats aren't exactly the norm in American politics.

I'm more amazed by the fact that he's not in jail. Between the trail of lawsuits, bribing a Texas judge, asking for a foreign enemy to sabotage Clinton's emails, and making a death threat...how is he not behind bars?

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
"I like Trump for President because he says what he means and means what he says."

Trump strongly implied firearms as a counter measure to Clinton's Supreme Court picks.

"He didn't mean that."

Navin

MALDREAD
One day after his campaign reset the nosedive by shifting the focus to the economy, Cheeto Jesus goes off-script once again and this time insinuates the murder of a political candidate or a Supreme Court Justice.

[IMG200]https://66.media.tumblr.com/b27a2721b0da5d49349b78e0ae8d954f/tumblr_n9qkn0pdRz1sxpnovo1_500.gif[/IMG200]

*Cue Paul Ryan offering yet another condemnation, but still endorsing Trump*

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Death threats aren't exactly the norm in American politics.

I'm more amazed by the fact that he's not in jail. Between the trail of lawsuits, bribing a Texas judge, asking for a foreign enemy to sabotage Clinton's emails, and making a death threat...how is he not behind bars?

Well we did used to have duels. Plus some of the elections in the late 1800's did get kinda crazy, mostly when you had a candidate who wanted to bring back slavery.

And there is a bipartisan committee tasked with this stuff, but they get nothing done because the GOP side refuses to do anything ever, unless it's about Benghazi.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
What Trump said technically isn't illegal though. It's been protected as free speech by a previous court 50 years ago.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/395/444

"Freedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action."

(Ironically, this case resulted from a Ku Klux Klansman)

Trump's words would have to be proven to directly cause violence straight away; mere advocacy is not enough under current Free Speech laws.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well we did used to have duels.
Reminds me of the duel of Hamilton versus Aaron Burr. From what I remember reading in history biographies, people, such as Jefferson heard about this, and responded as if to say, "I didn't hate him that much".

And there is a bipartisan committee tasked with this stuff, but they get nothing done because the GOP side refuses to do anything ever, unless it's about Benghazi.
I called Benghazi a Republican revenge fantasy, and while I still stick by that, the whole investigation (given more time and effort than the Twin Towers incident) gives me another perspective.

Benghazi trials now sound like entertained fetishes.

Mordent99

Banned
So, will the Secret Service investigate someone who's under their protection?

It has never happened in their history, but it might.

SonicBoom, he may actually have committed a very serious crime, a felony, in fact. I looked up 18 US Code 879, and it clearly states:

Whoever knowingly and willfully threatens to kill, kidnap, or inflict bodily harm upon—

(1) a former President or a member of the immediate family of a former President;

(2) a member of the immediate family of the President, the President-elect, the Vice President, or the Vice President-elect;

(3) a major candidate for the office of President or Vice President, or a member of the immediate family of such candidate; or

(4) a person protected by the Secret Service under section 3056(a)(6);

shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

I believe that is what he did.

Don't forget, the First Amendment lets you say what you want, but does not protect you from the consequences of doing so. Make a public threat? Yeah, you can say it, but you still go to jail.

Scammel

No I wasn't talking about Brexit, although that is something I am concerned about. I was talking about Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition and main opponent to new conservative PM Theresa May. He's the most honest and down to Earth political leader Britain has had in decades. During the EU referendum, although arguing on the side of remain, he carefully articulated and explained the benefits of remaining in the most simplest of manners and acknowledged the EU's problems.

Jeremy Corbyn is a dim, nasty little man who embodies all the worst traits of the hard left. He deceives and contorts as readily as Trump and exhibits a similar level of egomania. He presides over a culture of bullying, sexism and racism and almost certainly sabotaged the Remain effort and almost certainly voted Leave.

He used the death of Jo Cox in an attempt to make leadership challengers back down. The organisation he chaired called for British soldiers in Iraq to be killed. He rewards those who suppress Labour's gross anti-Semitism problem with peerages, after apparently disavowing the system.

He lies about the polls. He lies about the scale of his 'mandate'. He lies to Parliamentary committees. He can't bring himself to condemn IRA violence. His Shadow Chancellor was asked by Sinn Fein to stay away from the peace process because he discouraged hardliners from accepting a deal.

He morally equated Jewish support for Israel with Muslim support for regimes such as Iran or even ISIS. He labels description of the aforementioned anti-Semitism problem as 'utterly disgusting subliminal nastiness'. He took £20,000 to propagandise for a regime that hangs gay people. He shares platforms with blood libellers.

His office deploys briefs against his own Deputy Leader faster than it responds to the appointment of a new Prime Minister. He appointed and sacked a Shadow Cabinet minister without their consent or knowledge whilst they were undergoing treatment for cancer. He calls for party unity whilst being the single most rebellious Labour MP in modern history.

The man is no less a stain on British politics than Donald Trump is on American politics.