• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
In 2020, when some Democrats will inevitably say that we can’t pay for things like free college and universal healthcare and the left needs to be more realistic or pragmatic, remember that they offered Trump 1.6 billion for a wall. Like literally the only reason they didn't take it was racism beyond the normal level.

On a state level, free college is possible, and I'm sure the supporters of that bill were not insisting that all college, both public and private, would be free.

Universal healthcare is a bit trickier, but it's definitely not impossible. The main thing preventing is, well... greed. The pharmaceutical giants are far too influential in Congress for a universal healthcare bill to be passed.

What must be admitted at this point is that both sides have failed miserably, and that our nation's political system is in need of a massive overhaul. Of course, the only thing capable of bringing about that overhaul is a civil war, and I think I can safely say most of us don't want that outcome.

Zora

perpetually tired
Pikachu52 do you support releasing the memo? If it has no evidence of wrong doing then why not release it? If however the Obama Administration was doing shady things, then shouldn't the public know as well?

occam's razor. Consider this poppyock:

“FISA abuse.” Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) said the report “raises serious questions about the upper echelon of the Obama DOJ and Comey FBI as it relates to the so-called collusion investigation.”

Hint: Mueller's investigation didn't occur during a Comey FBI.

The Hill article says:

One former senior official who worked on national security issues noted that, in general, the application for a surveillance warrant involves several layers of authentication of information, suggesting that if any of the information from the dossier were used in an application, it would have been corroborated. Justice Department lawyers often modify orders based on feedback from the court — and they must show probable cause that the target is acting as an agent of a foreign power.

Likely, the memo's contents are as Pikachu52 surmised: a bunch of talking points related to the Fusion GPS dossier in particular. The Dossier could up and vanish and the Mueller investigation would still have its raison d'etre. I'd further speculate it's about certain bureaucratic missteps made in processing the memo's information--but no bureaucracy follows rules to the letter so what of it? The Obama Administration took no public advantage of the memo and he couldn't have predicted Mueller's investigation, so that seems like a dead end.

The other alternative is the GOP is desperately creating hot air to undermine a Mueller investigation. Occam's razor would suggest this is what's happening.

Given I do genuinely believe it's a bunch of hot air, I don't particularly mind if they release it. But, what's stopping them?

Last edited:

EnglishALT

Looks like the next vote to end the shut down will be at noon EST, it remains to be seen if the Democrats will vote to lift the shut down, or keep the government shut down.

Shortly after 9 p.m. Sunday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced that the chamber would vote on a plan at noon Monday to fund the government through Feb. 8. In an attempted concession to Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, McConnell said he would take up legislation to protect some young immigrants from deportation if a deal to address their status is not reached by the time funding expires in early February.

But Democrats were not ready to call it a deal, even as McConnell implored the Senate to vote Sunday night to reopen the government. "The shutdown should stop today," he said.

Schumer said further negotiations were needed and spurned McConnell's request, pushing a vote until Monday, when hundreds of thousands of federal employees will be furloughed.

"Talks will continue, but we have yet to reach an agreement on a path forward that would be acceptable for both sides," Schumer said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/21/government-shutdown-2018-trump-senate-354113

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
maybe if the Republicans hadn't used reconciliation to not repeal the ACA, they could fund the government by themselves like they want

oh well

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The problem is this is another "Oh agree with us on this and we'll TOTALLY vote for what you want" only to pull the football out and not do it. It's dumb the Dems keep falling for it, but that's what keeps happening. We've already seen this happen with DACA a couple times already.

Silver Soul

The problem is this is another "Oh agree with us on this and we'll TOTALLY vote for what you want" only to pull the football out and not do it. It's dumb the Dems keep falling for it, but that's what keeps happening. We've already seen this happen with DACA a couple times already.

What do you expect? Trump is more of a dictator than President and has the propaganda tools to turn the public against the Democrats in time for the midterms. Even though this has been Trump's fault but his base won't care because they are bigoted like him. Even Graham is displeased with Stephen Miller being the one advising Trump in going against DACA.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

EnglishALT

What do you expect? Trump is more of a dictator than President and has the propaganda tools to turn the public against the Democrats in time for the midterms. Even though this has been Trump's fault but his base won't care because they are bigoted like him. Even Graham is displeased with Stephen Miller being the one advising Trump in going against DACA.

The Democrats do not really need Trump to turn the public against them. Shutting down the government for DACA and in the end getting absolutely nothing and folding after 72 hours is pretty bad. To make matters worse for Democrats, apparently the news in America was dominated by the shut down, and utterly ignored the women’s march against Trump.

bobjr

Staff member
Still more people blamed Trump and the Republicans for the Shutdown, and it looks like we'll have another shutdown in 3 weeks if DACA isn't fixed, and 70-80% are in support of Dreamers. This isn't a terrible route for them, they just need to control the messaging.

One thing to note is all the big 2020 Senate names (Booker, Sanders, Warren), still all voted no.

EnglishALT

Still more people blamed Trump and the Republicans for the Shutdown, and it looks like we'll have another shutdown in 3 weeks if DACA isn't fixed, and 70-80% are in support of Dreamers. This isn't a terrible route for them, they just need to control the messaging.

One thing to note is all the big 2020 Senate names (Booker, Sanders, Warren), still all voted no.

That is all true however with the media finger pointing at Democrats now for the shut down, and the public opposed to shutting down the government for DACA, the Democrats cannot honestly hope to be seen as blameless forever. Especially since in reality they are the cause of the shut down.

bobjr

Staff member
I mean the GOP could have actually funded CHIP and passed DACA instead of using them as bargaining chips and playing with lives too. They're the ones who didn't do anything in the first place.

EnglishALT

I mean the GOP could have actually funded CHIP and passed DACA instead of using them as bargaining chips and playing with lives too. They're the ones who didn't do anything in the first place.

There is no reason why to oppose adding CHIP to the CR, it kept the government funded and helped the children. DACA needs to be passed but it must pass with significantly stronger border control or else we will be doing another’s DACA in another decade or two from the next wave of illegals.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay, is nobody else pissed at the fact that regardless of who's to blame, all politicians still get paid during a government shutdown?

I mean, that literally explains why it's so easy for them to do it so often. They don't suffer from it.

Remix2

Ya the democrats really need to stop caving in the the republicans and grow a spine for once.

If I were them I will not only say to fund both chip and daca but also not cut social security, Medicaid and reinstate net neutrality into the speanding bill, and if they republicans said no then there not getting a single democrats vote.

Oh and I'll remind the republicans for the fact that they let chip expire last September and did Nothing on it even though they say the care.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
So the White House has said they'll try to start deporting Dreamers as soon as next month.

Guess evil is worse than incompetence.

Also in "Well if we lose fairly let's make it unfair" news, Alabama just made special elections illegal after Doug Jones won.

EnglishALT

Looks like the memo could be released by the middle of next week from what Republicans are saying, if so then every one can see and judge what possible criminal activities the Obama Administration was involved in with FISA.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Looks like the memo could be released by the middle of next week from what Republicans are saying, if so then every one can see and judge what possible criminal activities the Obama Administration was involved in with FISA.
Nothing to fear nothing to hide. If it's legal to spy on normal citizens who cares if they are checking up on candidates shady dealings with enemy nations. That said I'd love to see it too.

Last edited:

EnglishALT

Nothing to fear nothing to hide. If it's legal to spy on normal citizens who cares if they are checking up on candidates shady dealings with enemy nations. That said I'd love to see it too.

I don’t think it isn’t actually legal to spy on normal citizens, with out a warrant and a ton of other stuff. However the Obama Administration did some spying in the past that skirts the line of criminal already when they went after Fox News Reporter James Rosen in 2013. So it wouldn’t be a surprise to me if they did the same to Trump.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I don’t think it isn’t actually legal to spy on normal citizens, with out a warrant and a ton of other stuff. However the Obama Administration did some spying in the past that skirts the line of criminal already when they went after Fox News Reporter James Rosen in 2013. So it wouldn’t be a surprise to me if they did the same to Trump.
NSA is allowed to legally spy on everyone. Which was something started before Obama came into power. They also pretty much act without supervision.

Last edited: