• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-end-birthright-citizenship-us-111625767.html

Wong Kim Ark is rolling in his grave right now.

Now, from what I see, a lot of neurotypical folks seems to think there's some measure of truth to mental health as an explanatory variable, enough so that I don't see the conversation move past mental health in most NT communities. So, well, that's why I'm bringing it up here. If nothing else, cite this as another reason we need to emphasize the bigotry behind a lot of these recent shootings and murders; since failure to properly place blame harms the community that's scapegoated.

The thing about America as a whole is that we don't give a crap about mental health. Our prisons, not our asylums or offices, are where we tend to "treat" people with disabilities. The only time the common person has ever given two cents about mental health is in the context of having them armed.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Great, we're headed into Starship Troopers-type logic with the threat to repeal the 14th...Republican or deported and/or imprisoned, Military or indentured servitude to earn, or Pay-To-Win citizenship, What a wet dream for a slumlord and the rich.

If Congress does that out of fear of losing theirs, it'll be all murder, riots, martial law and civil war. Which means never-ending Trump, Pence, Koch brothers and their chosen ones and cronies...

At this point, voting blue is mandatory. No excuses, no protests. If you want rights as a citizen of your nation without condition, VOTE BLUE, because your lives as you know them depend on it.

U.N. Owen

I thought we settled the Citizenship Clause back in the days of the Alien Land Laws where asian people were declared "black-adjacent" and thus ineligible for citizenship only for someone named Wong Kim Ark to come up and sue.

Any AP Government and Politics or scholar of law will know that the Fourteenth Amendment is the most important amendment in the constitution. Up until that point, people were considered dual citizens, the citizens of the state they lived within and citizens of the natural government, before 14th. Repealing the fourteenth, since line-item veto is too much like legislation, would mean that we would lose the entire Bill of Rights.

Yes, the excessive bolding is necessary.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Newest Ted Cruz campaign:

Beto wants to do X, but not even *insert Democrat* supports X.

Beto is an extremist.

I loved the "Too Reckless for Texas".

Zora

perpetually tired
The thing about America as a whole is that we don't give a crap about mental health. Our prisons, not our asylums or offices, are where we tend to "treat" people with disabilities. The only time the common person has ever given two cents about mental health is in the context of having them armed.
I don't follow what that has to do with what I discussed? Like, I get America is terrible with how it handles mental health, but I'm focusing narrowly on the issue of how mental health is used to excuse motives of gun violence. And like, there really is no correlation (source). The reality is, with most of these acts of terrorism, there's more pertinent to discuss than the ableism that is people's reflex to entertain mental health as a driving force. But at the same time, the fact this ableism is so common just... gets lost in the discussion?

I get there's a dozen other things we can discuss, but there's a reason why I wanted to focus on gun violence first. As these acts of terrorism grow more frequently people realize how bigotry and easy access to guns are the culrpirts, the push to blame mental health is going to gain momentum. And the thing is, so many people (even Dem voters) tacitly accept mental health as an explanation, I don't think there's going to be as much resistance as there ought to be. And yeah, being part of the neurodiverse community which is adjacent to the MH community, what that push looks like when it inevitably translates into policy does concern me. I get this is just a random Pokemon forum with mostly good people so I at least hope I don't need to say blaming mental health is almost always ableism but... if people don't accept that narrative it can seriously hurt people like me, which is why I felt the need to bring it up somewhere.

anyway, i went a little rambly there for a second, sorry about that.

Pikachu52

Great, we're headed into Starship Troopers-type logic with the threat to repeal the 14th..

Empty threat...probably

Article V of the Constitution provides amendments to the Constitution have to passed by 2/3 of each house of congress and ratified by 3/4 of State Legislatures. Even with the Republican majority in Congress now, even with every republican supporting that move, they don't have the numbers.

Nothing short of that can end birthright citizenship so far as it is protected by the 14th amendment. Not a congressional statue. Certainly not an executive order.

What Trump and his followers will be banking on, is that 14th Amendment can be interpreted as not granting citizenship to children of undocumented migrants born in the US.

Opponents of "birthright citizenship" interpret the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" as requiring a status of "full and complete jurisdiction to which citizens are generally subject, and not any qualified and partial jurisdiction, such as may consist with allegiance to some other government."

That interpretation seems quite vexed. Jurisdictional ordinarily means that an entity, such as regulatory agency or the US as a whole has the power to extend its laws to a particular person. So if a person is born on US sol and subject to US sovereign authority - that would include anyone in the US not subject to diplomatic immunity - then on a clear reading of the 14th amendment that person is a citizen.

https://www.gibsondunn.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/publications/Ho-DefiningAmerican.pdf
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/23/17595754/birthright-citizenship-trump-14th-amendment-executive-order
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wong_Kim_Ark

The question of whether the children of undocumented migrants born in the US are US citizen has not been explicitly decided by the Courts as of yet, meaning the question could still be open.

Legislation designed to restrict the application of birthright citizens has been bouncing round congress for the last several decades.

But ultimately it is the courts and not Trump or even Congress who has the final say here.

U.N. Owen

I don't follow what that has to do with what I discussed? Like, I get America is terrible with how it handles mental health, but I'm focusing narrowly on the issue of how mental health is used to excuse motives of gun violence. And like, there really is no correlation (source). The reality is, with most of these acts of terrorism, there's more pertinent to discuss than the ableism that is people's reflex to entertain mental health as a driving force. But at the same time, the fact this ableism is so common just... gets lost in the discussion?

My intention was, like yours, to say that simply, no one in America gives a crap about mental health unless an armed man walks into a school and shoots up children. It's a moment where morons in office say, "Oh, these people exist now. Let's make something useful for us come next election."

Zora

perpetually tired
My intention was, like yours, to say that simply, no one in America gives a crap about mental health unless an armed man walks into a school and shoots up children. It's a moment where morons in office say, "Oh, these people exist now. Let's make something useful for us come next election."
ah, i see.

Well, sorry if I read too much into your post. mea culpa.

Honestly, the 14th amendment needs to be modified in some form. No way in heck should an illegal immigrant be able to get citizenship through birth

Anyway, I see Repubs winning Senate, Dems winning House, and the next two years is going to major clusterfuck

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
I mean the first arguments were white people scared Chinese immigrants would get citizenship and have some kind of power in the nation, so congrats for only being 130 years behind on the issue.

Zora

perpetually tired
Honestly, I really don't see the issue with parents getting citizenship if their children do. Seems easier that way.

Tbh, I've just grown fully distrustful of all anti-immigration as of late. The past few years solidified that the the motivation behind anti-immigration rhetoric is that white people don't like the idea they're losing power. Like, I'm really not sure what argument for awarding citizenship to parents of minor children that doesn't simply amount to some fear white people will lose out--politically, financially, in education, etc. But given how much of those arguments were lodged in bad faith, well, forgive me if I'm willing to dismiss it as a lot of hysteria.

This doesn't help that there's so much analogy to the Chinese immigration. I grew up around San Francisco, like you can see the impact our immigration policy has. Manilatown is basically gone with Daly City (and Peninsula in general) having a huge Filipino population but without the feeling of a Manilatown. Japantown is basically just a mall, since the real Japantown was essentially genocided with the internment camps. SF Chinatown has a very rich and complex history that resists easy characterization. But we can also see how Ellis Island is treated as the gateway of America, but Angel Island does not receive similar respect. Call me sappy, but I do want a country we can proud of, but looking in the aftermath of the waves of Asian immigration and seeing us repeat the mistakes, no, that's not something that can make me proud.

U.N. Owen

I mean the first arguments were white people scared Chinese immigrants would get citizenship and have some kind of power in the nation, so congrats for only being 130 years behind on the issue.

If we want to be really pedantic, it happened way before that since the Citizenship Clause overruled the infamous Dred Scott Case which said black slaves were not citizens of America despite being born here.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Yeah, back the the Supreme Court even ruled that slaveowners could go into free areas and re-capture their slaves. They also defended slavery several times.

But this is something upheld several times as more racist groups tried to change it. You're even seeing the GOP not even hiding words anymore, they're just being outright with it because that's what their base wants now.

chalkus

America only cares about mental health if a shooter is a white guy.

If he's black, he's a thug. If he's a Muslim, he's a terrorist. If he's Hispanic, he's MS13. If he's white, he has serious issues and should have gotten help sooner. You never hear this narrative for anyone else. Look at the mass killings perpetrated by these guys in recent years. Not one of them have been considered a terrorist even though their behavior warrants that charge.

That's just how it is, unfortunately.

Pikachu52

So the Mid-term results are in.

Democrats appear to have taken the house, though somewhat narrowly.

Republicans have kept control of the Senate.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won her race becoming the youngest women ever elected to congress.

Ted Cruz has won in Texas.

The map of governorships looks set to become a lot more blue as well.

I'll have to look at more analysis to determine the takeaway, but with a democratic controlled house we can probably safely make the following statements:

1. The so-called "Maga" agenda, as far as it requires legislation is dead. They're won't be any more tax cuts for the wealthy or other such legislation. There certainly won't be a wall. Changes to social security, medicare and the affordable care act will also be increasingly less likely in this new Congress.

2. With Democratic control of the House, Trump can no longer hide behind the Republicans when it comes to investigation. House dems could start opening investigations and firing subpoenas at him and his associates.

3. Republicans keep the Senate, which means Trump can still keep making judicial and other appointments. So the Supreme Court could turn further to the right if another vacancy opens during the remainder of Trump's term.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Ted Cruz has won in Texas.
Yeah, this was expected, but not without being a little painful, especially when I was seeing Texas turn blue over and over from the BBC election results coverage.

Beto thanked his voters, saying he was f***ing proud of them (he did use the f-bomb, lol).

Edit: Shame that Cruz was using some misinformation in order to win.

They're won't be any more tax cuts for the wealthy or other such legislation.

Sounds like a solid plus to me. The tax cuts were essentially additional free money for the rich to pocket.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_Measure_Scorecard,_2018#November_6

The other important element of the current elections, the ballot measures, look a bit more disappointing. The weird Alabama 10 commandments initiative and few anti-abortion initiatives have passed.
North Dakota rejects marijuana legalization, but Michigan doesn't. Missouri has only one initiative passed, and Utah is currently unknown.
Florida will now re-enfranchise about 1.4-1.6 milion former convicts with voting rights thanks to Amendment 4, but Los Angeles Public Bank is still unknown. Colorado and Michigan's nonpartisan redistricting initiatives have passed, though.
Most Medicaid expansion initiatives seem to have passed, but others are unknown at this point.
Edit: A very important notice, North Carolina Voter ID proposal is passed, so Democrats will have even more trouble that state blue.
Edit 2: Utah Medical Marijuana seems to have passed, LA Public Bank failed.

Last edited:

Alise

Who do you think will be the next president Trump or Clinton? Are those people who voted for Trump will support him again? When I play Electoral.io https://electoral.io/ multiplayer game, I see that most people choose the Republican party, so they didn't change their opinions for Trump's cruel politics. I think the election in 2020 will be much more fierce struggle than in 2016, and the political race will be more exciting and still actual as online as in real life.

Evanibble

Who do you think will be the next president Trump or Clinton? Are those people who voted for Trump will support him again? When I play Electoral.io https://electoral.io/ multiplayer game, I see that most people choose the Republican party, so they didn't change their opinions for Trump's cruel politics. I think the election in 2020 will be much more fierce struggle than in 2016, and the political race will be more exciting and still actual as online as in real life.

Clinton shouldn't run again. I supported and campaigned for her, but I think in 2020 Democrats shouldn't nominate anyone who ran in 2016.

2020, no matter who runs, is going to be a long, rough campaign. As much as I want Trump to lose, and will campaign like hell to make that happen, we don't really know yet.

https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_Measure_Scorecard,_2018#November_6

The other important element of the current elections, the ballot measures, look a bit more disappointing. The weird Alabama 10 commandments initiative and few anti-abortion initiatives have passed.

North Dakota rejects marijuana legalization, but Michigan doesn't. Missouri has only one initiative passed, and Utah is currently unknown.

Florida will now re-enfranchise about 1.4-1.6 milion former convicts with voting rights thanks to Amendment 4, but Los Angeles Public Bank is still unknown. Colorado and Michigan's nonpartisan redistricting initiatives have passed, though.

Most Medicaid expansion initiatives seem to have passed, but others are unknown at this point.

Edit: A very important notice, North Carolina Voter ID proposal is passed, so Democrats will have even more trouble that state blue.

The ballot measures were a really underreported part of the night. Four states passed the medicaid expansion, four more passed redistricting reform measures, a couple of them legalized medicinal marijuana, and Florida just restored voting rights to those who were formerly incarcerated, which is a huge deal. The biggest disappointment, I think, was the Voter ID proposal in NC.

Also worth noting that Democrats gained 7 governorships and took total control of like 6 state legislatures, which is a huge change in its own right.