• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

U.S. Politics: The Biggest Trade in WNBA History

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
After the last 5 years, it doesn't surprise me, but it still sickens me knowing Russia has infected the GOP, and a lot of them welcome it. But a Republican controlled US siding with China and Russia is a nightmare we can't afford.

Indeed. All 3 have shown that there is truly no bottom to their depravity. They want nothing more than money and power and don't care who they step on, oppress, or kill to get it. They're the worst of the worst in the world and they all need to be rooted out.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
The Russains have started firing cluster munitions into densely populated civilian areas in Kharviv, Ukraine. You know, the kind outlawed by the Geneva conventions due to the widespread and indiscriminate damage they cause, as well as the increased risk of undetonated ordnance resurfacing years later, not that Russia cares about the Geneva conventions I guess. This isn't a war, it's an attempt at genocide at this point.

The good news is the Russian forces are getting destroyed at basically every level, besides indiscriminately bombing civilians. They've failed to take pretty much every objective they've set themselves, they've suffered heavy losses both in troops and material, they've encountered civilian resistance at every turn, the sanctions imposed on them by the west are already taking heavy tolls on their already turbulent economy, and this entire invasion makes them look incompetent and ridiculous. It's the Winter War all over again, except now with even lower morale and more ridicule on the world stage.

Putin putting Russian nuclear forces on high alert is worrying to me. Exactly how batshit insane is this man, and how far is he willing to take this batshit insane campaign of his? Apparently committing war crimes against civilian populations is fine, and now he's readying his nukes? I hope it's just posturing, it doesn't make any sense for it to be more than just posturing, but no part of this invasion has made any sense so far anyways.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Apparently, there are Russian soldiers in training who were tricked into assisting with the war effort by being led to believe all was a training exercise. There was even this that was found from a dead Russian soldier:

This tells someone that Russia is just VERY ill-equipped for a war.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I heard my dad talking to his friend about the current situation in the Ukraine and they agreed that they believe Biden is funding the war which is just ridiculous. If anyone in the US would hypothetically fund this war, it’d be Trump since he and Putin seem to have this weird political partnership that is pretty obvious but no one knows the full details or can actually prove it. If Trump was still President, he’d definitely get something from the invasion in exchange for turning a blind eye towards Putin.

Litleonid

You know, there is a part of me right now that hopes that all of these sanctions hit Russia hard enough that the citizens who have opposed and protested against Putin's war crimes decide enough is enough and decide to overthrow their government. Its almost damn near impossible, but it would be nice to see them put a stop to Putin's madness themselves. There is no reasoning with this disgusting excuse for a human being. Putin is not gonna walk away until he has the Ukraine fully in his control, and you know he won't stop there. He won't stop until he's conquered and reunited the Soviet Union.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
You know, there is a part of me right now that hopes that all of these sanctions hit Russia hard enough that the citizens who have opposed and protested against Putin's war crimes decide enough is enough and decide to overthrow their government. Its almost damn near impossible, but it would be nice to see them put a stop to Putin's madness themselves. There is no reasoning with this disgusting excuse for a human being. Putin is not gonna walk away until he has the Ukraine fully in his control, and you know he won't stop there. He won't stop until he's conquered and reunited the Soviet Union.
Unfortunately, his endgame is far worse than simply reuniting the Soviet Union. That's only one part of the equation. During COVID, Putin was looking through very old maps and treaties that existed way before the Soviet Union had that name. He's looking to regain ALL of the territory that Russia ever held that they lost over time. That's his endgame, to re-establish it as a full on empire. And he won't stop until he does this. That's why we are in World War III right now, whether we realize it or not. Because he isn't done after Ukraine. He's not done by a longshot. Ukraine is only the beginning. That's why we need to stop him now. If we don't, the time will come when the choice will be made for us. We're joining the battle, whether it's now or later.

And equally unfortunately the idea of the ordinary Russian citizens overthrowing the government is a practical impossibility, because the KGB is FIERCELY loyal to Putin (blindly so), and any time the people have even shown the slightest amount of civil disobedience during this situation, they've been rounded up and imprisoned, likely never to see the light of day again (that is if they're lucky; he could be executing them to make examples). He's calling any kind of protesting 'treason', and treating protesters like they're enemies of the state.

This guy is the next Hitler, and we're going to have to start making some hard decisions. And it will affect ALL OF US.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Putin definitely has a horrible plan in play right now. Invading the Ukraine is something he wanted to do for a really long time as previous leaders of Russia before Putin had no interest in the country after the collapse of the USSR and let them be their own culture. Then the civil unrest started over there and I think that’s when Putin started scheming as it is easier to invade and capture a nation if it is weakened from civil unrest. China I believe is only teaming up with Russia because they share a border and China has basically ruined any useable land for resources when they tried to urbanize the entire country and built factories literally everywhere. Trump not getting re-elected is a true blessing because things would be far worse if he was still in charge and he’d probably give Russia some sort of secret aid in the invasion given the very strange relationship he had with Putin. I mean something always seemed off whenever they were seen together and how each praised the other. And Trump probably would have found a way to get away with it too given he managed to get out of trouble for allowing the Capitol Riot to happen and even told the participants to go there while they were at the White House.

Biden I don’t think is “weak” but he is stuck in a horrible spot where he is going to be ripped apart no matter what action he takes to try to resolve the Ukraine Invasion situation. If he sends any troops over there, he’ll be accused of sending soldiers to their deaths over a conflict that is meaningless to the US as we aren’t getting anything if we would win. It would sort of be like Vietnam all over again. But if Biden does nothing then people will say that he doesn’t “care” about the Ukraine or the suffering of the people over there and he’s “too soft” to fight back. I mean what can you really do in a situation like this?

nel3

Crimson Dragon
what a classic strategy i will stop this war if you give me these 3 areas. atleast until he decides to find more Ukranian areas with a russian population... thats not even counting the countries once part of USSR. im not sure how this will end up but this seems like a good idea at this point.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Putin definitely has a horrible plan in play right now. Invading the Ukraine is something he wanted to do for a really long time as previous leaders of Russia before Putin had no interest in the country after the collapse of the USSR and let them be their own culture. Then the civil unrest started over there and I think that’s when Putin started scheming as it is easier to invade and capture a nation if it is weakened from civil unrest. China I believe is only teaming up with Russia because they share a border and China has basically ruined any useable land for resources when they tried to urbanize the entire country and built factories literally everywhere. Trump not getting re-elected is a true blessing because things would be far worse if he was still in charge and he’d probably give Russia some sort of secret aid in the invasion given the very strange relationship he had with Putin. I mean something always seemed off whenever they were seen together and how each praised the other. And Trump probably would have found a way to get away with it too given he managed to get out of trouble for allowing the Capitol Riot to happen and even told the participants to go there while they were at the White House.

Biden I don’t think is “weak” but he is stuck in a horrible spot where he is going to be ripped apart no matter what action he takes to try to resolve the Ukraine Invasion situation. If he sends any troops over there, he’ll be accused of sending soldiers to their deaths over a conflict that is meaningless to the US as we aren’t getting anything if we would win. It would sort of be like Vietnam all over again. But if Biden does nothing then people will say that he doesn’t “care” about the Ukraine or the suffering of the people over there and he’s “too soft” to fight back. I mean what can you really do in a situation like this?
Most politicians currently in office would do it wrong. When you have a war on your doorstep (and make no mistake, it is on our doorstep whether we like it or not), you have to expect a certain degree of risk. Every major war that the United States has EVER fought, has carried with it a considerable risk. Sometimes Presidents have to make decisions that aren't the most popular among constituents. When Lincoln went after slavery, it caused a Civil War. When Kennedy made the compromises he made, the consequences that he suffered are well, pretty obvious.

But the thing is, these Presidents did what was necessary at the time. Now it's our turn. We have a choice here. We can wait until the war comes to our shores (and it will) to do anything, or do something materially to stop them before it gets to that point. It would be far, FAR better to start now.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Lincoln didn’t go after slavery until the war started, it was the Confederate states that pushed for succession after John Brown’s raid and the federal government not helping with runaway slave laws.

But overall there’s 0 good reason to start an open war now, especially with things as is. Russia’s military having an incredibly poor showing on what was expected to be an easy march also shows that the country in no way could stand to a unified NATO response.

Especially since there’s somewhat of an argument that Sanctions hurt regular citizens the most and don’t affect the top nearly as bad, but and open war is that but worse.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Lincoln didn’t go after slavery until the war started, it was the Confederate states that pushed for succession after John Brown’s raid and the federal government not helping with runaway slave laws.

But overall there’s 0 good reason to start an open war now, especially with things as is. Russia’s military having an incredibly poor showing on what was expected to be an easy march also shows that the country in no way could stand to a unified NATO response.

Especially since there’s somewhat of an argument that Sanctions hurt regular citizens the most and don’t affect the top nearly as bad, but and open war is that but worse.
Like it or not, this is the beginning of World War III. So the fantasy of 'if we start an open war' is a crossed bridge that we're watching burn right now. Russia already started an open war. So it's too late to say that.

The problem is if we don't act now, we'll be forced to later when the situation is worse and it's harder to do. Russia is not done after they take Ukraine (and they will, make no mistake about it). They're going after other countries (which is why I said what I said about the old maps and treaties; read my post at the top of this page if you want to see that). If we're serious about protecting the free world, we need to make hard decisions. Wars always carry risks. This is no different from any other war that's been fought in history. The only difference is the form the risks take.

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
Honestly if you’re so Pro-War we need to be in the best position to take out Russia, you kind of want them to spend as much time and resources as possible taking over Ukraine, as it’s clear the army is not as capable as described where a week in they’re out of fuel and food for soldiers.

Obviously that shouldn’t be the case, but Russia can’t even handle a one country war without devastating losses, let alone a unified NATO. Part of the calculus was even Ukraine not having protections and being an easy takeover, which it proved not to be. The second Russia tried to take any other country I don’t see how they could make any progress

SoHowAreYou

The problem is if we don't act now, we'll be forced to later when the situation is worse and it's harder to do. Russia is not done after they take Ukraine (and they will, make no mistake about it). They're going after other countries (which is why I said what I said about the old maps and treaties; read my post at the top of this page if you want to see that). If we're serious about protecting the free world, we need to make hard decisions. Wars always carry risks. This is no different from any other war that's been fought in history. The only difference is the form the risks take.

There's a lot wrong here. While I do agree that the Russians will probably "take" Ukraine eventually, the insurgency will consume the resources of the Russian armed forces. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan caused it to disintegrate. Ukraine will be so much worse for Russia. They have already proven to be horribly corrupt and inept. And here's the thing, despite all of the Russian chest thumping that they do to make people think that they're a credible military it's garbage. They're using old Soviet equipment that's horribly out of date because they can't afford to modernize.Their new wonder weapon tank that they wanted to replace their old T-72 variants, broke down and caught on fire in a parade. There's more stories like that but they're clownshoes. If this army went up against the Poles they would be slaughtered whole sale by a military that's been preparing for 30 years for a Russian invasion.

Also that hard decision to "protect" the free world would doom it. While I'm sure some of Russia's nuclear weapons are not usable given how awful everything about their military is, they definitely have enough to vaporize NATO. If war comes to our shores it will be in the form of the double flash, not a bunch barely trained conscripts. I don't know where you live but I live close enough to a high priority target that I will probably be dead within an hour of world war 3 starting. So uh yeah let's not do that.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Also that hard decision to "protect" the free world would doom it. While I'm sure some of Russia's nuclear weapons are not usable given how awful everything about their military is, they definitely have enough to vaporize NATO. If war comes to our shores it will be in the form of the double flash, not a bunch barely trained conscripts. I don't know where you live but I live close enough to a high priority target that I will probably be dead within an hour of world war 3 starting. So uh yeah let's not do that.
It takes courage to fight a war. Sometimes you have to take risks and have the guts to say enough is enough. Like I said, wars always carry risks. Also in the unlikely event of a nuclear war (more likely, Putin is just making empty threats; I doubt he has the guts to launch), you want to be the country that strikes first. If they hit you first, you are in big trouble. Simple as that. Also, let's pretend for a moment that Putin is just insane enough to use nukes. Who's to say he doesn't just get angry enough at the sanctions and failures of his forces and launch anyway?

Also the world would not outright end if there was a nuclear war. Earth would survive and heal itself over time. Even if humanity got wiped out (and it wouldn't, even in a full scale nuclear war), the planet would heal itself and cleanse itself. It would take awhile, but Earth would be fine.

The fact that almost the entire world dislikes Russia (Putin, really) and that Russia (Putin, really) hates everyone should tell anyone that another World War is rather impossible.
Most of the world hated Hitler.

Phillies

I read an article earlier this week that stated Putin is more likely to start a cyber war than a nuclear one. I don’t know how accurate that is but I think it’s probably true.

bobjr

Staff member
We literally are seeing an example right now that saying enough is enough and attacking first that’s backfiring horribly. The idea that Putin would openly go for more, including several better prepared and armed countries, after this disaster I don’t think is the correct idea.

Worst case they do completely take Ukraine, but can’t reliably install a puppet state because of their crippled economy and a population that hates them.