• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ugliest Gen 9 Pokemon

Orphalesion

Scovillain might be ugly (and its definitely not what I would have chosen for the first Grass/Fire type), but at the very least it's and interesting kind of ugly, like some sort of a goblin creature created by Jim Hanson.

While it is also quite interesting in concept, my vote for "ugliest design" would have to go to Cetitan. That mouth just freaks me out...

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I can't think of any that are flat out "ugly," but I don't like the concept of Veluza. It's boring and the fillet away thing makes me wince.

Squawkabilly is also boring. Could've used an evolution or something.

Orphalesion

If we are talking boring designs I'd say Naclstack and Garganacl. Nacli actually looks neat as a little salt mushroom, but even with their Minecraft inspired elements, it's evolutions are just another three-stage, bumpy "rock monster" line. Did we really need another of those? Especially in the age of smaller generations? At the very least a 2-stage line would have been enough, it didn't need to be three.

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Scovillian is such a comically fun little muppet though.

Love having this guy around.

As far as ugly or boring designs this gen, I don't see any, all are based within their concepts and visual cues pretty well.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Quaquaval, Klawf, Wugtrio, Wigglet, Revavroom, Dudunsparce, Brute Bonnet, Gholdengo and Sandy Chocks.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Rabsca's pre-evo, but Rabsca itself is cool

Orphalesion

Speaking of Prevos... I forgot all about it but Shroodle is too ugly for words. Grafaiai is one of the best designs this gen, but Shroodle...yikes.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
If we are talking boring designs I'd say Naclstack and Garganacl. Nacli actually looks neat as a little salt mushroom, but even with their Minecraft inspired elements, it's evolutions are just another three-stage, bumpy "rock monster" line. Did we really need another of those? Especially in the age of smaller generations? At the very least a 2-stage line would have been enough, it didn't need to be three.
I like that whole line all of them. But i grew up with lego bricks instead of Minecraft's cube theme.

There are a few i don't like....so far
Sprigatito line (It didn't stay as a 4 legged species)
Iron Jugular (Future Hydreigon)
Iron Threads (ugly Future Donphan)
Iron Bundle seriously they brought Delibird with expanding neck gimmick (rock'em sock'em robots) upon getting hit or feinting.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
It may not be the ugliest but I really dislike Spidops for being the epitome of modern Pokemon design philosophy.
Its entire body looks like it is made out of blender basic shapes piled and stacked on top of one another. Entire body is composed of simple and blobby shapes. Ease of modeling and ease of merchandise being the first and foremost priorities.

Putting that aside, it's gonna have to be Quaquaval. There's a lot of "ugly" ones like Dodonzo or Scovillain but that's ugly on purpose so it doesn't really count. Quaquaval is just unpleasant to the sight and not in a good way.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
It may not be the ugliest but I really dislike Spidops for being the epitome of modern Pokemon design philosophy.
Its entire body looks like it is made out of blender basic shapes piled and stacked on top of one another. Entire body is composed of simple and blobby shapes. Ease of modeling and ease of merchandise being the first and foremost priorities.

Putting that aside, it's gonna have to be Quaquaval. There's a lot of "ugly" ones like Dodonzo or Scovillain but that's ugly on purpose so it doesn't really count. Quaquaval is just unpleasant to the sight and not in a good way.
I can see ease of modeling being in mind for spidops but I don't think merch was in mind for it, it is not a merch-bait design at all
It was probably just a dex filler mon like basculin and most babies

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My opinion would be Frigibax. It looks like an extra-ugly Treecko. Not that I mind; I don't think it was supposed to be a pleasant-looking Pokémon.

I do like Spidops's design. It takes elements of old-timey cobblers and tailors and combines it with both the orb-weaving spiders and of spies (hence its name, combining "spider" with "spy ops"). It has an abdomen that looks like a spool of thread, and its thorax has markings to resemble overalls, while its mandibles look like an old man's mustache and beard while its eyes resemble night vision goggles.

That is, I feel a lot of thought went into its design, and that's why I like it.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
I can see ease of modeling being in mind for spidops but I don't think merch was in mind for it, it is not a merch-bait design at all
It was probably just a dex filler mon like basculin and most babies
I mean, it's nothing personal about Spidops itself. It's more of a general complaint about the modern design philosophies.
I actually kind of got the same complaints about Lokix who I actually really like a lot since it is a Kamen Rider reference. Spidops is just the most noticeable case of that modern design philosophy this generation for me.

I do like Spidops's design. It takes elements of old-timey cobblers and tailors and combines it with both the orb-weaving spiders and of spies (hence its name, combining "spider" with "spy ops"). It has an abdomen that looks like a spool of thread, and its thorax has markings to resemble overalls, while its mandibles look like an old man's mustache and beard while its eyes resemble night vision goggles.

That is, I feel a lot of thought went into its design, and that's why I like it.
Yeah, there's a neat concept there. It's the "make" of it that rubs me the wrong way.

Orphalesion

. There's a lot of "ugly" ones like Dodonzo or Scovillain but that's ugly on purpose so it doesn't really count.
I never understood that way of thinking. Only because something was "meant to be ugly" doesn't just magically change that it's ugly. So of course they count if somebody thinks they're ugly.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
3rd stage cat starter and the entire water brb line. I give Galarian starters and Braizen a pass for now because those ducks straight sux! However, the grass starter (and first ev.) are wicked adorable this time, and Skeledirge is a beast. GF needs to stay away from birds and mammals for the starters if they’re just going to anthro them to death. Starters tend to fare a lot better when they keep their natural gestures.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Based solely on design, I think Scovillain and the Pawmo line.

Scovillain mostly due to the design disconnect between the heads and its body. The Pawmo line falls more on disappointment because of the lack of change between the three lines. While it is not always necessary to have drastic design changes between evolutions, the line literally feels like Pawmo just stood up and got fat.

Oh, and I have changed the title of this thread just with better formatting. Origjnally "Ugliest pokemon gen9" in case people are wondering.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
A lot of people think frigibax is ugly but I think it's cute in a sorta ugly/dopey way, maybe it's because of the fanart I've seen though

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
For Gen 9 Pokemon whose design I am not too fond of, Palafin’s Hero Form and the Wugtrio line. Wished they could have done something more Wugtrio/Wiglett while keeping in the convergent evolution concept and Hero Form Palafin still leans a bit into uncanny territory for me.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Iron Jugulis isn’t ugly but I feel like it isn’t futuristic enough. It looks way to similar to regular Hydreigon. I keep sending it out against Dratini forgetting it isn’t a Dragon type anymore. It literally took me a month to figure out the difference between Iron Jugulis and Hydreigon. Schroodle isn’t ugly in my opinion but it is quite bizarre. I mean what exactly is it supposed to be? I just see a walking head with buck teeth. Where is its body?