• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ugliest Gen 9 Pokemon

LordSerperior

I don't know about ugly but the Pokemon that stand out as unappealing to me are Gholdengo and the Wiglett line. I also think all the paradox Pokemon are really boring, except Slither Wing.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
Maschiff is just... ugh. Obviously, Pokemon don't need a realistic-looking color pallet but between its expression and its color; if I saw a dog that looked like that I'd assume it was dying of mange. Grafaiai's milky pupilless eyes creep me out.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
There aren't any that are "ugly" but Scovillain is scary, and I hate it.

Also, I really don't like how there's just a Tumbleweed Pokemon with eyes. It's not ugly, just. Ugh. I find this dumb.
Like this does not look like the face of a friend at all

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Grafaiai - it is ugly and creepy, and I actually prefer Shroodle.
Palafin - the base form is lazy, and the Hero form is just ridiculous.
Scream Tail - it is creepy and can't hit hard.
I also dislike: Iron Treads, Sandy Shocks, Rabsca, Lokix and Toedscruel.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
So many fugly Pokemon in this gen
For example, the white bomb bird and the grass a Pokemon with two heads

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Iron Jugulis. Laziest of the Paradox Pokémon. They can do better. We could have that steel tank, GF could have dipped into the Gen II beta Pokémon pool, there’s a ton of possibilities besides another bland Dark/Flying type that looks the exact same as the original. They tried to represent all of the types via Paradoxes, but if they made Iron Jugulis Dark/Poison, then Iron Moth Fire/Steel, and Roaring Moon Dark/Flying, then they’d have all the types represented while still keeping one type from the originals. Better type matching as well. On top of that, they could have Iron Jugulis look like Zweilous’ beta designs which would have been swell. Maybe even Swellous.

I’m also not big on Maschiff’s design. We have so many quadrupedal Dark-types, and we just got a HUGE load of Darks in this Gen. 13! And only two are from the same family. To put in contrast, there’s 12 new Water-types, which is typically the biggest addition between Gens.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Iron Jugulis is just a lazy design. It took me a month before I discovered what was so different about it from Hydreigon. Its body isn’t metallic looking enough and the designers could have swapped the colors around as not all of the Future Paradox Pokémon follow their originals’ color schemes 100% with Iron Hands being mostly silver, Iron Bundle having blue as a predominate color, Iron Thorns is more green than Tyranitar and doesn’t have any of the bluish grey on it, and Iron Treads heavily uses red.

Luthor

Iron Jugulis is just a lazy design. It took me a month before I discovered what was so different about it from Hydreigon. Its body isn’t metallic looking enough and the designers could have swapped the colors around as not all of the Future Paradox Pokémon follow their originals’ color schemes 100% with Iron Hands being mostly silver, Iron Bundle having blue as a predominate color, Iron Thorns is more green than Tyranitar and doesn’t have any of the bluish grey on it, and Iron Treads heavily uses red.

What surprised me was that Iron Jugulis still has Hydreigon's relatively small wings & tiny legs. They easily could have given it much bigger wings and/or propulsion engines (similar to Miraidon). Given that its now a flying type (rather than just levitating) , and is slightly faster it would make sense for its focus to be about better aerial skill.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What surprised me was that Iron Jugulis still has Hydreigon's relatively small wings & tiny legs. They easily could have given it much bigger wings and/or propulsion engines (similar to Miraidon). Given that its now a flying type (rather than just levitating) , and is slightly faster it would make sense for its focus to be about better aerial skill.
I also didn’t think that made much sense. The others have some significant change to their main bodies that suit their new typings. Iron Bundle is more robotic and its feet are water skis. Iron Valiant still has a blade but it detaches from its body. Great Tusk has gigantic tusks that rival Mamoswine’s and can easily throw its opponents aside. And Sandy Shocks has those sand pillars which you could say is how it grounds its body to keep from being overcharged with electricity. For three weeks I kept sending Iron Jugulis out against wild Tatsumi to level up my weaker Pokémon forgetting that Jugulis is no longer a Dragon type.

Gen 9 Pokemon that I find ugly

Skeledirge
Quaquaval
Spidops
Naclstack
Garganacl
Scovillain
Rellor
Rabsca
Wugtrio
Palafin Hero
Varoom
Revavoom

Uninspired
Finizen
Palafin zero form (seriously a heart?)
Gimmighoul (the chest form)
Dudunsparce
Orthworm
Squawkabilly
Veluza

Definitely my least favorite Gen overall.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Migarusa [Veluza]. I don't expect every single Pokemon to look cute or cool, but I certainly didn't want another hideous fish Pokemon in any case, especially not after Hagigishiri [Bruxish]. Also Irukaman [Palafin]; it's a shame that we had to wait over 25 years to finally get a dolphin Pokemon, yet one of them is an evolved stage that looks unoriginal in its normal form, and ugly in its alternate form.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Veluza is based off of hakes, barracudas, and to some extent, salmon. (I say this because of the wild Tera Veluza that’s found in the isolated pond upstream on Glaseado Mountain.) in GF’s defense, we only got four fish this Gen; one is a flaming goldfish who is setting the world on fire, and two of them are a tag team duo setting Doubles on fire. Which leaves JUST Veluza by itself.

Veluza is the dark horse that people are neglecting to take seriously even though its attacks are ridiculous. It also gets an easier Shell Smash variant and Recover! And when you finally meet this feindish fish it rams into you from the backside, sometimes beaching itself on land to fight you, only to make its own skin and body blow off its sides! That’s before the slaughtering occurs…

It’s another fish, and not the most inspired design, but I like to think of Veluza as the Cyberpunk 2077 version of Barraskewda.

Ryker101

Yeah Iron Jugulis is disappointing to me as well. Hydreigon is one of my all time favourites but this one’s so basic. They really replaced an awesome typing like dragon with flying? Surely make it steel type. I get it doesnt have levitate anymore but come on. If Roaring moon can lose flying type then surely it can apply here too?

Not to mention its similar and worse stat spread, but >100 speed is good

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yeah, I'd say Iron Jugulis is the most disappointing new Pokemon for me. I don't hate it and there are a couple things I like such as the LED screens and Pokedex entry, but they really dropped the ball with it I feel. Design-wise, it's probably the biggest case of the 'X Pokemon, but Y' complaint that the Paradox Pokemon get as it does so little to differentiate itself from Hydreigon. Battle-wise, as just touched on it stat differences don't do enough to separate it out from its present counterpart in terms of the roles it wants to fill, and often it tends to be weaker then Hydreigon in those roles since it lacks the key tools to succeed in them like Nasty Plot. It feels the most basic of the bunch, and it's unfortunate since as a Hydreigon fan I was really looking forward to seeing what they did with a Future version.

Baggie_Saiyan

Migarusa [Veluza]. I don't expect every single Pokemon to look cute or cool, but I certainly didn't want another hideous fish Pokemon in any case, especially not after Hagigishiri [Bruxish]. Also Irukaman [Palafin]; it's a shame that we had to wait over 25 years to finally get a dolphin Pokemon, yet one of them is an evolved stage that looks unoriginal in its normal form, and ugly in its alternate form.
That's what I love about Palafin, we aren't locked to seeing the ugly hero form, I absolutely love Finizen so glad they went that route with Palafin.