• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ugliest pokemon ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
I've never been the biggest fan of Pelipper. Something about it just feels off.

I'm sort of terrified of pelicans in real life: their huge bills scare me since they can swallow practically any animal smaller than themselves with ease. I don't dislike Pelipper's appearance per se, but it's definitely not a Pokemon that I like.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeedsAName said:
How has no one brought up Arrokuda yet?! Look at this... thing's face and tell me that's an appealing Water-type.

Its face is sort of derpy, but I actually like it. It's definitely not a Water-type that I'd use in the games if I could avoid it, but as far as aquatic Pokemon go, Sasikamasu (Arrokuda) at least looks like it would have some personality and not be just another generic fish. I definitely dislike how its evolved form looks, however.

NeedsAName

I didn't actually know that bit before, and I find it hard to envision how such large Pokemon like Whaloh (Wailord) could be food for something like Dadarin (Dhelmise).

How can a human eat a cow? In very tiny pieces. Given that it's attached to a sharp metal anchor...

TwilightBlade

Dhelmise is really ugly and sort of scary when you think about how its only living part is the green seaweed on the anchor and it can eat whale Pokemon.

I remember when I first read that part about Dhelmise targeting Wailmer and Wailord to consume them. It's such a gross thing to picture. Apparently Dhelmise likes Skrelp and Draglage because they're all kelp themed. :]

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Going through them I’m genuinely surprised at how few Pokémon there are that are actually “ugly”. Even those that are supposed to be ugly, like Trubbish/Weezing, or serious like Eternatus/Type: Null, get just enough Anime styling to keep me from getting creeped out.

Patrat and Watchog, on the other hand...

The elemental monkeys from gen 5, especially Simisage and Simisear. Musharna also comes to mind, at least when it opens its eyes.

That said, there isn't a single pokemon I actually hate design-wise (I do dislike Pikachu for it's overhyped status, but I do like the rest of its evo).

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The elemental monkeys from gen 5, especially Simisage and Simisear. Musharna also comes to mind, at least when it opens its eyes.

That said, there isn't a single pokemon I actually hate design-wise (I do dislike Pikachu for it's overhyped status, but I do like the rest of its evo).
I think Simisear is decent looking. I mean it’s not one of the best or most creatively designed Pokémon ever but it also is not the mess that is known as Lickilicky. At least it tries to be different from Infernape.

NeedsAName

I think Simisear is decent looking. At least it tries to be different from Infernape.

We have waaaaaay too many primate Pokémon, a lot of which overlap type-wise. We've got (not counting human-based ones like Mr. Mime and Gallade):
  1. Mankey, Fighting
  2. Primeape, Fighting
  3. Aipom, Normal
  4. Slakoth, Normal
  5. Vigoroth, Normal
  6. Slaking, Normal
  7. Chimchar, Fire
  8. Monferno, Fire/Fighting
  9. Infernape, Fire/Fighting
  10. Ambipom, Normal
  11. Pansage, Grass
  12. Simisage, Grass
  13. Pansear, Fire
  14. Simisear, Fire
  15. Panpour, Water
  16. Simipour, Water
  17. Darumaka, Fire or Ice
  18. Darmanitan, Fire or Ice
  19. Passimian, Fighting
  20. Oranguru, Normal/Psychic
  21. Grookey, Grass
  22. Thwackey, Grass
  23. Rillaboom, Grass
  24. Zarude, Dark/Grass

We have waaaaaay too many primate Pokémon, a lot of which overlap type-wise. We've got (not counting human-based ones like Mr. Mime and Gallade):
  1. Mankey, Fighting
  2. Primeape, Fighting
  3. Aipom, Normal
  4. Slakoth, Normal
  5. Vigoroth, Normal
  6. Slaking, Normal
  7. Chimchar, Fire
  10. Ambipom, Normal
  11. Pansage, Grass
  12. Simisage, Grass
  13. Pansear, Fire
  14. Simisear, Fire
  15. Panpour, Water
  16. Simipour, Water
  19. Passimian, Fighting
  21. Grookey, Grass
  22. Thwackey, Grass
  23. Rillaboom, Grass
  24. Zarude, Dark/Grass
The Slakoth line are based on sloths though, with Slaking being based on the extinct giant ground sloths that only went extinct several thousand years ago.
The Darumaka line also seems more based on darumas than primates, but I kinda see where you're going with Darmanitan having the same knuckle stance like gorillas do.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
  1. Mankey, Fighting
  2. Primeape, Fighting
  3. Aipom, Normal
  4. Slakoth, Normal
  5. Vigoroth, Normal
  6. Slaking, Normal
  7. Chimchar, Fire
  10. Ambipom, Normal
  11. Pansage, Grass
  12. Simisage, Grass
  13. Pansear, Fire
  14. Simisear, Fire
  15. Panpour, Water
  16. Simipour, Water
  19. Passimian, Fighting
  21. Grookey, Grass
  22. Thwackey, Grass
  23. Rillaboom, Grass
  24. Zarude, Dark/Grass
Well same could be said for the ‘cat, bird, dog, and mice/rodent’ Pokémon so your point is sort of invalid to the complaint. A lot of those Pokémon also share typings. We’ve got seven Water types based on birds with three of them being ducks (five if you throw in Farfetch’d and Sirfetch’d to the mix), ten Electric rodents, and four dog based Pokémon that are Fire types (five if you think Entei is a dog).

Nodqfan

Binacle and Barabacle
Clauncher and Clawitzer
Skrelp and Dragalge

Man, it seems the Water Type really got the short end of stick design-wise in Gen 6 I wouldn't use any of these because they are terrible to look at.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeedsAName said:
  1. Mankey, Fighting
  2. Primeape, Fighting
  3. Aipom, Normal
  4. Slakoth, Normal
  5. Vigoroth, Normal
  6. Slaking, Normal
  7. Chimchar, Fire
  10. Ambipom, Normal
  11. Pansage, Grass
  12. Simisage, Grass
  13. Pansear, Fire
  14. Simisear, Fire
  15. Panpour, Water
  16. Simipour, Water
  19. Passimian, Fighting
  21. Grookey, Grass
  22. Thwackey, Grass
  23. Rillaboom, Grass
  24. Zarude, Dark/Grass

Other than Sarunori (Grookey), Nagetukesaru (Passimian), and Zarude to a certain extent, I'm not fond of the monkey Pokemon that we have so far since many of them are incredibly hideous and unsightly, and I agree that we have far too many of them.

NeedsAName

The Darumaka line also seems more based on darumas than primates, but I kinda see where you're going with Darmanitan having the same knuckle stance like gorillas do.

Darmanitan has a lot of gorilla/yeti basis in its design. Galarian Darmanitan literally gets Þe signature ability "Gorilla Tactics".

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
  1. Mankey, Fighting
  2. Primeape, Fighting
  3. Aipom, Normal
  4. Slakoth, Normal
  5. Vigoroth, Normal
  6. Slaking, Normal
  7. Chimchar, Fire
  10. Ambipom, Normal
  11. Pansage, Grass
  12. Simisage, Grass
  13. Pansear, Fire
  14. Simisear, Fire
  15. Panpour, Water
  16. Simipour, Water
  19. Passimian, Fighting
  21. Grookey, Grass
  22. Thwackey, Grass
  23. Rillaboom, Grass
  24. Zarude, Dark/Grass
I disagree. They’re spread throughout generations relatively well (people can argue about the elemental monkeys but I think they’re fine). 24/~900 isn’t too much. They all have different designs inspirations and aren’t based on the same monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.