• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cradily17

I've already mentioned this in other threads, but UB-01 and the Ultra Beasts in general really give me a Pokéstar Studios vibe.
[video=youtube;8b8JBJsbdhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8JBJsbdhM[/video]

Akashin

I don't think you're really getting to the point to understanding.
They've pretty much said that Null is a man made creation, OK.
So was Mewtwo, they fall into the same category.
Either way we try to look at it, they've essentially got a lot of things in common with Pokemon, they're unique, and they also fit into the same category Mewtwo would.

With everyone sitting here assuming that Ultrabeasts aren't Pokemon you're throwing Mewtwo out the window.
Mewtwo was a forced Pokemon experiment, and he'd also be a tool for destruction in most ways.
Type null in theory is another type of creature by its design and recreational intentions, but in the same place he also fits into being a sort of Pokemon, maybe not a full Pokemon but in some ways, yes.

Sure, the likes of Type: Null, Mewtwo and Porygon are all man-made; that's well established and understood. So what? None of them have anything to do with UB-01, or Ultra Beasts at all, so I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is.

All we know for sure about Ultra Beasts at this time is that the official site both describes and lists them as being separate from Pokemon.

goodpeople25

I've already mentioned this in other threads, but UB-01 and the Ultra Beasts in general really give me a Pokéstar Studios vibe.
Well good thing the Majin has a weakness (thus an easier way through wonder guard) now. Don't think a hypothetical lost beast version would be very interested in dancing or slaking off.

Anthea

While this is highly unlikely, I hope that the UBs have some relation to glitch pokemon. Think about it. They're technically not pokemon, they don't have normal names, they look weird, unnatural and out-of-place in the game, and they're dangerous. Type: Null also has some Missingno.-vibe going on with its name. (I'd love the chance to be able to transfer my glitchmons in Yellow and see them come to life~ but it's most likely not the case... OTL)

I also have to wonder if the UBs were created concept-wise like that one old concept GF had about mythical pokemon; example being the "green dragon" that may be impossible to catch and is hard to find.

So you want these fresh new pokemons to be dulled down and chained to silly Easter egg / spooky pasta glitches that shouldn't have been in the game to begin with?

Perfect Zygarde

First, the description of Ultra Beasts and UB-01 tell us it can't possibly be or even act like a human.
"While evidence of something like a survival instinct can be observed in UB-01, no one knows whether it has a will of its own or any emotions"
On the contrary, Lillie is a human with her own will and can clearly feel emotions.

The bolded part is a major flaw in what you're saying.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This is the first time in the main games that an opponent isn't human or Pokemon, excluding Pokestar Studios. It comes from a portal. Alright...I'm gonna say these are life-forms from another planet/universe, an alternate form of life. Something that breaks the mold of life as we know it

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
This is the first time in the main games that an opponent isn't human or Pokemon, excluding Pokestar Studios. It comes from a portal. Alright...I'm gonna say these are life-forms from another planet/universe, an alternate form of life. Something that breaks the mold of life as we know it
I may have missed it in the info reveal. But where is it stated that it comes from a portal?

The problem is another planet/universe theory should still make it a pokemon such as the likes of Giratina and Deoxys. Plus a lot of pokemon species already push the envelope for the definition of life. Something in it's origin and composition must make it fundamentally different from anything we've seen or considered in Pokemon before.

Does anyone with knowledge of Japanese language/naming conventions know why the name "Ultra Beast" is being used here? I'm not sure if something is maybe being lost in translation

Cowterpie

Uncool Trainer
I'm hoping that the ultra beasts are game freaks attempt at darkening the series somewhat. I'm leaning towards the idea that the aether foundation are the main villians and that the pokemon they 'rescue' are being experimented on in an inhumane way. That could be why Lillie left (assuming she was a member/relation/aquaintance), sickened by what they did to these ordinary, poor Pokemon, she forged a relationship with UB-01 in secret(?) while it was still in a broken state and because of its attachment to her, takes a form similar to her. Maybe the aether foundation caught her doing so and attempted to punish her but in the disturbance perhaps UB-01 escaped along with its brethren.

I'm really interested in how this is gonna play out, I'd be disappointed if it turns out lillie is UB-01. I've always found the whole 'synchro/fusion' thing a bit too digimon. But then again depending on how 'evil' aether is they could be using human dna or human subjects as well.

SAOSINN

I'm hoping that the ultra beasts are game freaks attempt at darkening the series somewhat. I'm leaning towards the idea that the aether foundation are the main villians and that the pokemon they 'rescue' are being experimented on in an inhumane way. That could be why Lillie left (assuming she was a member/relation/aquaintance), sickened by what they did to these ordinary, poor Pokemon, she forged a relationship with UB-01 in secret(?) while it was still in a broken state and because of its attachment to her, takes a form similar to her. Maybe the aether foundation caught her doing so and attempted to punish her but in the disturbance perhaps UB-01 escaped along with its brethren.

I'm really interested in how this is gonna play out, I'd be disappointed if it turns out lillie is UB-01. I've always found the whole 'synchro/fusion' thing a bit too digimon. But then again depending on how 'evil' aether is they could be using human dna or human subjects as well.

I agree I think as you say Lillie left, ran away whatever, she's got a striking resemblance to Gladion( who may have also ran away, taking Type-Null with him) and Lusamine, so there's alot of speculation. Game freak do seem to be branching out at a insane pace for new ideas, Megas, UltraBeasts, Synchro moves there's alot of influences outside the norm.
Personally this UB-01 thing being described as having the qualities of a little girl does it for me, if it's a genuine mysterious new kind of Pokemon not influences by the next 'bigbad researcher' I'll be amazed.

I believe Ultra Beasts are 'Alien' or 'Outer dimensional'. Aether foundation could be screwing around with portals and accidentally let them come to Alola.

The reason the Ultra Beast is a massive jellyfish creature could be because some scientist say that Alien life forms could be in the form of jellyfish or silicon based creatures.

Cowterpie

Uncool Trainer
I agree I think as you say Lillie left, ran away whatever, she's got a striking resemblance to Gladion( who may have also ran away, taking Type-Null with him) and Lusamine, so there's alot of speculation. Game freak do seem to be branching out at a insane pace for new ideas, Megas, UltraBeasts, Synchro moves there's alot of influences outside the norm.
Personally this UB-01 thing being described as having the qualities of a little girl does it for me, if it's a genuine mysterious new kind of Pokemon not influences by the next 'bigbad researcher' I'll be amazed.

I really like your idea of Gladion escaping with Type:Null, it would be great if he becomes a rival of sorts, he'd fill that hole that Silver left. Antagonistic for the most part but ultimately being a good guy in the end, I always thought Hau was a little too friendly looking in his appearances.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
I may have missed it in the info reveal. But where is it stated that it comes from a portal?

The problem is another planet/universe theory should still make it a pokemon such as the likes of Giratina and Deoxys. Plus a lot of pokemon species already push the envelope for the definition of life. Something in it's origin and composition must make it fundamentally different from anything we've seen or considered in Pokemon before.

Does anyone with knowledge of Japanese language/naming conventions know why the name "Ultra Beast" is being used here? I'm not sure if something is maybe being lost in translation

The trailer shows it coming out of a portal/wormhole thingy. It's a lot clearer in the more lengthy Japanese version, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ssSZfoGY The scene with the ultra beast starts at about 5:08 minutes in.

As for the name, it appears that the Japanese text literally spells out "Ultra Beast" in katakana. It being formed from English words is probably supposed to make it sound "cool".
ウルトラビースト --> urutora bi-suto --> "ultra beast"

I think right now it's supposed to be a sort of mystery as to the exact nature of the "ultra beasts", something that will be explored through the storyline.

Fulisha Light

So you want these fresh new pokemons to be dulled down and chained to silly Easter egg / spooky pasta glitches that shouldn't have been in the game to begin with?

You say that like it's a bad thing, jeez

It'd be interesting yes, but I know it's unlikely.

While this is highly unlikely, I hope that the UBs have some relation to glitch pokemon. Think about it. They're technically not pokemon, they don't have normal names, they look weird, unnatural and out-of-place in the game, and they're dangerous. Type: Null also has some Missingno.-vibe going on with its name. (I'd love the chance to be able to transfer my glitchmons in Yellow and see them come to life~ but it's most likely not the case... OTL)

I also have to wonder if the UBs were created concept-wise like that one old concept GF had about mythical pokemon; example being the "green dragon" that may be impossible to catch and is hard to find.

Stop, why would they ever play like that? Glitch Pokemon ruined date, crashed games, and caused issues, so you'd want something that messes up practically everything, why?
At some point in the game we're almost positive that you'll end up fighting them, if they played like Glitch Pokemon everyone would have pretty much lost their data.
They're in some ways a close relative to Pokemon, it's just a mad made creature designed to be like a Pokemon. You're overlooking the fact that they're man made and intended to fight legendary and stronger types that do big damage, yet they were made with the intent of being a Pokemon hybrid.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Stop, why would they ever play like that? Glitch Pokemon ruined date, crashed games, and caused issues, so you'd want something that messes up practically everything, why?
At some point in the game we're almost positive that you'll end up fighting them, if they played like Glitch Pokemon everyone would have pretty much lost their data.
They're in some ways a close relative to Pokemon, it's just a mad made creature designed to be like a Pokemon. You're overlooking the fact that they're man made and intended to fight legendary and stronger types that do big damage, yet they were made with the intent of being a Pokemon hybrid.

I think you're mixing up Type: Null and the UB's.
Type: Null was created to combat a legendary and is a Pokemon, not an Ultra Beast.

Ultra Beasts we have no idea what they are.. They could be man-made, they could be aliens from another dimension, we have no idea at this point.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
The trailer shows it coming out of a portal/wormhole thingy. It's a lot clearer in the more lengthy Japanese version, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR1ssSZfoGY The scene with the ultra beast starts at about 5:08 minutes in.

As for the name, it appears that the Japanese text literally spells out "Ultra Beast" in katakana. It being formed from English words is probably supposed to make it sound "cool".
ウルトラビースト --> urutora bi-suto --> "ultra beast"

I think right now it's supposed to be a sort of mystery as to the exact nature of the "ultra beasts", something that will be explored through the storyline.

Thanks for the link. Definitely can see the reason to the portal dimension theory now.
Adding to what RedJirachi said. I think an extradimensional theory could be up for some consideration. The name "Ultra" seems to be denoting a high amount of revere or strength- even more than pokemon denoted as Mega or Legendary. UB-01 might be considered a creature from a higher dimension or state of being- which means it might exist above Giratina and Arceus's plane of control.

Theories aside- interested to see where this leads when we finally get to discover it ourselves.

Luthor

I get the feeling that they will be battled in game but not catchable as their nature isn't the same a pokemon. It's mere speculation at this point.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I personally think Ultra Beasts are Pokemon.
But right now, they are probably hiding that fact to keep things mysterious.

If man-made creatures such as the Porygon line, Type:Null and Magearna are considered Pokemon, I don't see how these creatures are any different.
I just see them as antagonistic legendaries.

unownzone

I personally think Ultra Beasts are Pokemon.
But right now, they are probably hiding that fact to keep things mysterious.

If man-made creatures such as the Porygon line, Type:Null and Magearna are considered Pokemon, I don't see how these creatures are any different.
I just see them as antagonistic legendaries.

Type: Null is man-made. Ultra Beasts are not. Their description just says they're mysterious creatures (that are not Pokémon) that live in the Alola region. Apparently the Aether Foundation is studying them, and there's a part in the trailer where Lusamine says something like, 'even life from other worlds are worthy of my protection' kinda implying the Ultra Beasts aren't exactly locals.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Type: Null is man-made. Ultra Beasts are not. Their description just says they're mysterious creatures (that are not Pokémon) that live in the Alola region. Apparently the Aether Foundation is studying them, and there's a part in the trailer where Lusamine says something like, 'even life from other worlds are worthy of my protection' kinda implying the Ultra Beasts aren't exactly locals.

I'm on the fence about them being Pokemon, but what Lusamine actually says is "Even Pokemon from distant worlds, far from the Alola Region, are worthy of my love". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.