• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Mysterious they are.

Hoping for at least 5 of them. More would be nice.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Type: Null is man-made. Ultra Beasts are not. Their description just says they're mysterious creatures (that are not Pokémon) that live in the Alola region. Apparently the Aether Foundation is studying them, and there's a part in the trailer where Lusamine says something like, 'even life from other worlds are worthy of my protection' kinda implying the Ultra Beasts aren't exactly locals.

I never said Ultra Beasts are man-made.
My point is, if man-made and synthetic creatures can be actually recognized as Pokemon, why can't Ultra Beasts?

Xuxuba

It seems like they come from another dimension. That'd be a nice opportunity to explore the multiverse plot that OR/AS started.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Giratina hangs out in another dimension, still a pokemon.

Arceus created that dimension, still a pokemon.

Palkia can travel through all the dimensions, still a pokemon.

If gods can be pokemon, so can beings from other dimensions imo.

Orphalesion

My point is, if man-made and synthetic creatures can be actually recognized as Pokemon, why can't Ultra Beasts?

Because those man-made and synthetic creatures were specifically modelled after and designed to be pokemon.

The Ultra Beasts could be all sorts of things.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry

Don't forget about Hoopa.

unownzone

I'm not saying Ultra Beasts aren't Pokémon because they might come from another dimension. No one even knows if Ultra Beasts are from another dimension. We only think so because Lusamine said something that might be hinting where they're from. If they are, it just goes along with the fact that they're not Pokémon.

Probably the real reason why they're not Pokémon is because it's unknown whether they have their own will or emotions. It's the same reason why scientists don't consider Zygarde cells as Pokémon either.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I'm not saying Ultra Beasts aren't Pokémon because they might come from another dimension. No one even knows if Ultra Beasts are from another dimension. We only think so because Lusamine said something that might be hinting where they're from. If they are, it just goes along with the fact that they're not Pokémon.

Probably the real reason why they're not Pokémon is because it's unknown whether they have their own will or emotions. It's the same reason why scientists don't consider Zygarde cells as Pokémon either.

I'd like to think that Ultra Beasts are the shared common ancestors of Pokemon and Humans. The fact that it looks like a jellyfish could be a reference to how multicellular life began and evolved from very simple multicellular organisms.

The reason they appear to have no emotions or will of their own is because they only have the instinct to survive and potentially replicate.

As to how they are appearing in the Pokemon world, a portal to another dimension where life is beginning to flourish, or perhaps a time machine.

Or they're just extradimensional beings.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
If man-made creatures such as the Porygon line, Type:Null and Magearna are considered Pokemon, I don't see how these creatures are any different. I just see them as antagonistic legendaries.
The Porygon line are something of a mystery as we don't know how they even have physical bodies that can eat and sleep, let alone count as pokemon.

However, there are easy explanations for the other two. Type: Null is a creature made from the cells of other pokemon, so it is a pokemon just like Mewtwo and such are pokemon, the only difference being that Type: Null was made by combining aspects of various pokemon into one.

And Magearna's main body isn't a pokemon at all but a shell for its real body, the Soul Heart. That is the part of Magearna that is a pokemon, as it was made by taking life energy from other pokemon to form a new life.

But all of those pokemon are still native to the main dimension of the pokemon world.

In any event, unownzone may have a point that it is the assumed lack of sapience that keeps the Ultra Beasts from being classed as pokemon. Another could be that they lack any typing. Basically to be pokemon seems to require the following:

1. Have at least one typing.
2. Be able to use/learn pokemon attacks.
3. Have sapient or at least semi-sapient levels of intelligence.

If any of those features are lacking, then they are not pokemon.

Last edited:

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Type: Null is man-made. Ultra Beasts are not. Their description just says they're mysterious creatures (that are not Pokémon) that live in the Alola region. Apparently the Aether Foundation is studying them, and there's a part in the trailer where Lusamine says something like, 'even life from other worlds are worthy of my protection' kinda implying the Ultra Beasts aren't exactly locals.
Ultra Beasts are called Ultra Chimeras in French. Take that as you will.

.Aerodactyl.

I think they will end up being Pokémon... I also don't think they are evil. Their description only hints at their power, but it hasn't basis anything they have done, only what they could possibly do. Misunderstood at best, but not evil. If they attack, it will probably be out of fear or defense initially.

I also don't think UB-01 is Lillie, only mimicking her. I think lillie resembles Gladion and Lusamine too much for them not to have a family connection...plus I don't think some far off alien or dimensional being would create their own human to study humanity and get it so right...like even her fashion sense is impeccable. I'd expect her to be more "quirky" if that was the case... Brushing her hair with forks or wearing socks on her ears. I think it more likely that she knows UB-01 and they formed a friendship/bond and thus, the mimicking.

I also think Lusamine's line about far off worlds is the biggest hint about them. I'm guessing more like aliens traveling across space through holes than anything... Though they could still be interdimensional beings or alternate dimensional beings. It's connection to Lillie is a other reason I don't think them evil. If it has a connection/bond with her, and mimics such a sweet girl, it's probably not evil.

Pokémon has a strong theme about accepting differences, working together, building friendships, despite distance or different languages, etc. It's been said over and over that even if our ideas are different, that we can all work together and that we need eachother. I don't think they'll throw out that idea by creating a pure evil group of "Ultra Beasts" who's sole focus is on destruction for destructions sake. They too, will all learn to peacefully co-habitate the earth, and might even be partially responsible for z-crystals and creating them, thus lending their "power".

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Ultra Beasts are called Ultra Chimeras in French. Take that as you will.

I'm not a fan of them using words that aren't synonyms between the languages. If chimera is in the french name, it should be in the english name imo. English ALWAYS has the stupidest names for everything that are the least exciting. Large Giant rock... Ultra beasts... come on! Megalith is what it should be called, and ULTRA CHIMERAS if that's what they are! Sorry rant done lol, not a big deal as I said a name is a name when it comes to type:null, but serious the UB being not UC bugs me now that I know the difference.

BlitzGirl41

Am I the only one who thinks that "UB-01" sounds like a designation for a Star Wars droid...? It's hard to take seriously. And it's supposed to be from some other world or something, and yet it looks exactly like a jellyfish, especially jellyfish found at different depths. It's not a "creature" or "beast", it's a freaking gigantic jellyfish!

ABC595

Well people evolved from Pokemon (part of Gen 4 lore iirc) so it's not a great stretch of the imagination to say that these 'ultra beasts' are descended from Pokemon but are no longer Pokemon themselves.

goodpeople25

Am I the only one who thinks that "UB-01" sounds like a designation for a Star Wars droid...? It's hard to take seriously. And it's supposed to be from some other world or something, and yet it looks exactly like a jellyfish, especially jellyfish found at different depths. It's not a "creature" or "beast", it's a freaking gigantic jellyfish!
Man if the outer gods or similar eledrich abominations ever invade I will totally enjoy you telling cluthulu (lookalike) he's just a squid. You know if we're all not insane/dead.

Akashin

It sounds like a code name for something that they lack the information to give a proper name to. Which is, well, exactly what UB-01 is.

BlitzGirl41

Man if the outer gods or similar eledrich abominations ever invade I will totally enjoy you telling cluthulu (lookalike) he's just a squid. You know if we're all not insane/dead.

Art I've seen of Cthulu doesn't have him looking like JUST a squid, though. Whereas UB-01 looks exactly like many jellyfish I've seen in countless nature documentaries. I also can't consider a jellyfish a "beast".

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Maybe that's an inside joke, that "normal" animals are eldritch abominations in the pokemon world and every Ultra Beast will be just a normal-looking animal. ^_^

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I personally think Ultra Beasts are Pokemon.
But right now, they are probably hiding that fact to keep things mysterious.

If man-made creatures such as the Porygon line, Type:Null and Magearna are considered Pokemon, I don't see how these creatures are any different.
I just see them as antagonistic legendaries.

Well, check it.

Deoxys is only a pokemon because it altered its DNA to become one. Thus, technically, Deoxys is not a pokemon. It could be possible these Ultra Beasts are in the same vein as Deoxys, only they never actually underwent a genetic change.

Status
Not open for further replies.