• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aerodactyl.

Okay, this is a CRAZY idea. Really, just for fun, there is no evidence or indication that this would ever be a thing...but wouldn't it be kind of cool if Ultra Beasts are introduced as a sort of mini game alternative to Pokémon? Like they don't have evolutions but are levelable and trainable and there are only about 40 of them, and they can only be battled against each other. Like maybe they have a different battle style entirely that isn't turn based but reflex based or something. I'd imagine they wouldn't have the same kinds of stats/types/moves or complexity as the meta game battles. Probably wouldn't be breeding or IV's or TM's or any of that. But it would be a little side feature like contests, perhaps with its own mini Dex, to experiment with alternate forms of battle? I think that would be kind of cool. Like they are from an alternate dimension of Pokémon where battling and everything is completely different...so in comparison they aren't even really 'pokemon' anymore in comparison. They could do side games for it and everything!

Again, I know it's a CRAZY idea and ridiculous and would never happen. I just think it would be fun, as many people have expressed a desire to try different kinds of battle styles for Pokémon and that would kind of be a way to sort-of do that. I mean, we have mystery dungeon and colosseum as examples of different ways to mix up the battle system, but they are still very turn based, etc.

unownzone

Am I the only one who thinks that "UB-01" sounds like a designation for a Star Wars droid...? It's hard to take seriously. And it's supposed to be from some other world or something, and yet it looks exactly like a jellyfish, especially jellyfish found at different depths. It's not a "creature" or "beast", it's a freaking gigantic jellyfish!

I don't know what R2-D2 stands for, but I'm pretty sure UB-01 stands for "Ultra Beast number one"
UB-01 is the first of its kind to be studied by humans (probably the Aether foundation).
I think its name makes a lot of sense

unownzone

Okay, this is a CRAZY idea. Really, just for fun, there is no evidence or indication that this would ever be a thing...but wouldn't it be kind of cool if Ultra Beasts are introduced as a sort of mini game alternative to Pokémon? Like they don't have evolutions but are levelable and trainable and there are only about 40 of them, and they can only be battled against each other. Like maybe they have a different battle style entirely that isn't turn based but reflex based or something. I'd imagine they wouldn't have the same kinds of stats/types/moves or complexity as the meta game battles. Probably wouldn't be breeding or IV's or TM's or any of that. But it would be a little side feature like contests, perhaps with its own mini Dex, to experiment with alternate forms of battle? I think that would be kind of cool. Like they are from an alternate dimension of Pokémon where battling and everything is completely different...so in comparison they aren't even really 'pokemon' anymore in comparison. They could do side games for it and everything!

Again, I know it's a CRAZY idea and ridiculous and would never happen. I just think it would be fun, as many people have expressed a desire to try different kinds of battle styles for Pokémon and that would kind of be a way to sort-of do that. I mean, we have mystery dungeon and colosseum as examples of different ways to mix up the battle system, but they are still very turn based, etc.

Like you said, I don't think that would happen, but I think that's a cool idea. Something like a spin-off or alternate universe that's linked to the Pokémon world. I always thought Pokémon would have to make a creatue that's not a Pokémon one day, and here they gave it to us: Ultra Beasts, beings we know nothing about, that have potential to be threatening to humans and Pokémon. It's perfect XD

Orphalesion

I'm not a fan of them using words that aren't synonyms between the languages. If chimera is in the french name, it should be in the english name imo. English ALWAYS has the stupidest names for everything that are the least exciting. Large Giant rock... Ultra beasts... come on! Megalith is what it should be called, and ULTRA CHIMERAS if that's what they are! Sorry rant done lol, not a big deal as I said a name is a name when it comes to type:null, but serious the UB being not UC bugs me now that I know the difference.

Except they are also Ultra Beasts in Japanese, like literally using the English Words, as explained here:

As for the name, it appears that the Japanese text literally spells out "Ultra Beast" in katakana. It being formed from English words is probably supposed to make it sound "cool".
ウルトラビースト --> urutora bi-suto --> "ultra beast"

I think right now it's supposed to be a sort of mystery as to the exact nature of the "ultra beasts", something that will be explored through the storyline.

So it's the French translators who try to be creative here and use the "wrong" name. That being said irrc (and I might be dead wrong here) French is one of the languages were chimera has a broader meaning of "monster, fabulous creature" rather than just describing a mix-and-match critter.

marrycherrylips

does anyone else feel like this is just all way to much change at this point?

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league
multi stage challenges with no gyms

i just feel like this is just way to much change. they are shoving all these new ideas and changes at us and its a big risk to take. it could either be great or flop hard. these changes introduced one or 2 at a time would be fine but all at once is just overkill.

having said that i do like the design of the ultra beast i just question if they should have introduced another version of monster into this game. how will they work? is this the only region where they are found and can they be caught?

.Aerodactyl.

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league

i just feel like this is just way to much change. they are shoving all these new ideas and changes at us and its a big risk to take. it could either be great or flop hard. these changes introduced one or 2 at a time would be fine but all at once is just overkill.

having said that i do like the design of the ultra beast i just question if they should have introduced another version of monster into this game. how will they work? is this the only region where they are found and can they be caught?

I personally welcome the changes. I think Pokémon needed some new refreshing aspects to help it continue. It's 20 years old after all. I'm really excited to play the games because of the changes!

I also like the Ultra Beasts. I can't wait to find out more about them :D I think they have plenty of potential to be a great feature to the Pokémon game aand universe. Plus we aren't even all that sure what they will be yet. They might not be battle-able and function more like zygarde cells, or they could just end up being Pokémon by the end of the story.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league

Not really, as long as the proposed changes are effective. Since the past 20 years, we are getting GYMs. Taking a risk and bringing Trial Captians to the table is innovative, as it offers something new instead of forcing you to collect the 8 badges that you did in every Pokémon games so far. Alolan Forms are completely optional; you can either choose to play with an Alolan Ninetales or original Ninetales as per your liking. Z-Moves are game-changer and mechanics of Generation VII, just like Mega Evolution for Gen VI. Finally, the Rite of Island Challenge is Alola's official league.

Dragon Pulse

Why is it when everyone says Pokémon is becoming "bland" and needs new "features", they bring out new features and then everyone suddenly say how it is "too much" and they're "terrible features". Please, give GF a break.

BlitzGirl41

I don't know what R2-D2 stands for, but I'm pretty sure UB-01 stands for "Ultra Beast number one"
UB-01 is the first of its kind to be studied by humans (probably the Aether foundation).
I think its name makes a lot of sense

I know what "UB-01" stands for, I was just stating that the letter and number combination alone is too reminiscent to a SW droid to me. Just based on how it looks/sounds on its own.

Why is it when everyone says Pokémon is becoming "bland" and needs new "features", they bring out new features and then everyone suddenly say how it is "too much" and they're "terrible features". Please, give GF a break.

I don't think that Pokemon was bland, and yet I'm finding the changes to be too much too fast. As another user said, maybe a few of the additions at a time would be less overwhelming. I play Pokemon because I know what to expect, but at the same time I like customization and having new Pokemon and so forth. I just never had an issue with how the games have been, never saw them as boring. S/M's changes will just take some time to get used to, that's all. We will see how well it all works out in the end.

Last edited:

marrycherrylips

why dont you read before you post. i never said any of the changes were bad and i never said i was opposed to the idea of changes being made. all i said was that in my view they are changing and introducing to much at once. singularily i like these ideas but i just think they crammed to much into one game

in fact , also please not that i even said i liked the ultra beasts

I know what "UB-01" stands for, I was just stating that the letter and number combination alone is too reminiscent to a SW droid to me. Just based on how it looks/sounds on its own.

I don't think that Pokemon was bland, and yet I'm finding the changes to be too much too fast. As another user said, maybe a few of the additions at a time would be less overwhelming. I play Pokemon because I know what to expect, but at the same time I like customization and having new Pokemon and so forth. I just never had an issue with how the games have been, never saw them as boring. S/M's changes will just take some time to get used to, that's all. We will see how well it all works out in the end.

exactly, thank you. its not that the ideas are bad but its just so much all at once

Last edited by a moderator:

Far from everyone does that, in fact I hardly think the people that complained about the former is the same people that are now complaining about the latter. Pokémon is an immensely popular franchise and it's understandable that there are both a decent portion preferring the games to be very familiar and don't like huge changes, but also a decent portion that think the games were getting stale and welcome big drastic changes.
Sure some decisions will be better received than others, but you can never please everyone.

Orphalesion

Not everybody flip-flops in their opinion, I thought the formula was getting stale and I am happy with the changes I see.

The people calling for changes and the people saying that too much changes too quick might not be one and the same group, the Pokemon fandom can be very divided on certain topics (like pretty much every large sample of people)

Edit: Geninj'ad by Endless

BlitzGirl41

exactly, thank you. its not that the ideas are bad but its just so much all at once

Sure, Pokemon has been around for 20 years, but it's crazy to think that they are shaking the system up all at once with a single game (well, technically two if you count Sun and Moon separate, but you know what I mean XD). I guess all we can do is pick up our copies in November and see how it plays out. I'm just a little nervous until then!

marrycherrylips

Sure, Pokemon has been around for 20 years, but it's crazy to think that they are shaking the system up all at once with a single game (well, technically two if you count Sun and Moon separate, but you know what I mean XD). I guess all we can do is pick up our copies in November and see how it plays out. I'm just a little nervous until then!

i agree. you just get used to something for so long. all these changes ..its just a lot to take in and im not quite sure what to expect but i will get the game.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Anyone else think this and this sound a little similar?

Problem with this, however, is that Minior actually sounds more like the cry from Lillie's bag much more...
Shameless self-quote, but I want to see what others think about this.

knightwolf09

Hey. Just came back from reddit, and apparently Ultra Beasts in french are called Ultra Chimeras....Yeah.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Shameless self-quote, but I want to see what others think about this.

I dunno about that, the cry from her bag seems a little more "twinkly" if that makes sense. And UB-01's sounds a lot more "ethereal". It could be a smaller and weaker version of UB-01 in the bag maybe?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Hey. Just came back from reddit, and apparently Ultra Beasts in french are called Ultra Chimeras....Yeah.
Already mentioned earlier, and its worth noting that:

1. In Japanese they are literally called "Ultra Beasts" and the english names just translated them directly (for better or worse, the names sound cool and exotic to Japanese ears but to ours they may sound a bit silly).
2. In french, "chimera" has a broader meaning than in english, i.e. it can refer to monsters in general.

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league

The thing is most of these "changes" (or rather additions, as most of them aren't really changes), aren't going to change the core gameplay, so I don't see anything to worry about. Island trials are basically somewhat more complicated gyms under a different name (i.e. its not like this will be the first time a gym challenge involved a fetch quest or something similar). Alolan forms function the same as new pokemon. Z Moves are just attack counterparts to Mega evolution. Ultra Beasts it seems will be boss battles at most, they won't change the gameplay in any meaningful way most likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.