• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

They probably called them ultra beast in English because of the fact that Type: Null is a chimera and they didn't want people to mix them up (that and it matches the Japanese name).

That leads me a theory to believe that Null is supposed to be a man-made Ultra Beast. Something that could combat them. Which is probably why in other countries it's called Type: Zero or Code Zero. It's literally number zero of the ultra beasts that they created, but more than likely is a failed project.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
does anyone else feel like this is just all way to much change at this point?

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league
multi stage challenges with no gyms

i just feel like this is just way to much change. they are shoving all these new ideas and changes at us and its a big risk to take. it could either be great or flop hard. these changes introduced one or 2 at a time would be fine but all at once is just overkill.

having said that i do like the design of the ultra beast i just question if they should have introduced another version of monster into this game. how will they work? is this the only region where they are found and can they be caught?

Agreed. They need to lean into this stuff. But yes they are straying too much from the game that everyone has loved for 20 years and that's a bad thing. Change is good, too much change is bad.

BlitzGirl41

That leads me a theory to believe that Null is supposed to be a man-made Ultra Beast. Something that could combat them. Which is probably why in other countries it's called Type: Zero or Code Zero. It's literally number zero of the ultra beasts that they created, but more than likely is a failed project.

So far, all we really know is that Null was created to battle creatures spoken of in mythology, and Solgaleo and Lunala are the only Pokemon so far that are mythological in the S/M lore. I mean, hey, Null's Normal typing would at least protect it against Lunala's Ghost moves. But that's the only connection I can think of. I don't know if Ultra Beasts are from "mythology" in Alola.

knightwolf09

Agreed. They need to lean into this stuff. But yes they are straying too much from the game that everyone has loved for 20 years and that's a bad thing. Change is good, too much change is bad.

Not really. These changes actually make the game feel tons more fresh. I get it's kind of out of your comfort zone with the games but sometimes that's a good thing to help you see in a different light.

So far, all we really know is that Null was created to battle creatures spoken of in mythology, and Solgaleo and Lunala are the only Pokemon so far that are mythological in the S/M lore. I mean, hey, Null's Normal typing would at least protect it against Lunala's Ghost moves. But that's the only connection I can think of. I don't know if Ultra Beasts are from "mythology" in Alola.

They just said they needed a pokemon to RIVAL pokemon in mythology. Meaning it needed to be as strong as them. So maybe it takes a pokemon at legendary level to combat Ultra Beasts.

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Not really. These changes actually make the game feel tons more fresh. I get it's kind of out of your comfort zone with the games but sometimes that's a good thing to help you see in a different light..

That was my opinion, you can't tell me my opinion of how I feel of something is wrong. Do you know what an opinion is?

And Sun and Moon isn't even out yet, so for you to say that the games feel more fresh is getting way ahead of yourself. And to the rest of your post I'm not even going to respond.

BlitzGirl41

Not really. These changes actually make the game feel tons more fresh. I get it's kind of out of your comfort zone with the games but sometimes that's a good thing to help you see in a different light.

They just said they needed a pokemon to RIVAL pokemon in mythology. Meaning it needed to be as strong as them. So maybe it takes a pokemon at legendary level to combat Ultra Beasts.

All I'm saying is that I can't be certain if Ultra Beasts are these Pokemon from mythology yet. The box mascots so far are the only possible matches at this early of a stage. I mean, if Aether Foundation and/or Gladion end up being bad guys, then it would make sense that someone would want to rival the Legendary, and therefore created Null for nefarious purposes. But this is all speculation on my part.

knightwolf09

That was my opinion, you can't tell me my opinion of how I feel of something is wrong. Do you know what an opinion is?

And Sun and Moon isn't even out yet, so for you to say that the games feel more fresh is getting way ahead of yourself. And to the rest of your post I'm not even going to respond.

Where'd the hostility come from? I was just talking about these changes in a positive light, not saying you are wrong. You need to chill.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
A number of people have said this but I still don't get what they mean. How do additions to the game stray from the original game? Pretty much nothing in Sun/Moon is going to change what pokemon has always been about or how it has always been played.

I mean it'd be one thing if they were actually changing existing things that are important to the game, but they're just adding things.

And certainly there is nothing wrong with an opinion, but note you are not stating these things as opinions but as facts, and yet not backing up why you believe them.

.Aerodactyl.

A number of people have said this but I still don't get what they mean. How do additions to the game stray from the original game? Pretty much nothing in Sun/Moon is going to change what pokemon has always been about or how it has always been played.

I mean it'd be one thing if they were actually changing existing things that are important to the game, but they're just adding things.

I don't know if the changes to the game is a discussion that should be had in the Ultra Beast thread (that's probably better in General Discussion). So I'm gonna try and steer this back to Ultra Beasts.

Whilst I love all the changes (but completely understand if others feel it is too much. My point is not to say that I'm more right, just how it feels to me!) I can agree that the introduction of Ultra Beasts has the potential to mean great changes for the series. I'm ultimately excited about them and love it, but if they aren't Pokémon and don't end up being captureable or battle-able and some different purpose, they'd be quite the change to the series! We've only had humans and Pokémon in the game, so that would be crazy to throw in. I still love the idea and Can't wait to find out more either wag, but totally understand the other side.

Ultimately though, I feel like they will most likely end up being Pokémon in the end. But we hair don't know yet! I hope it remains a mystery for the game and we find the answers while we play. Wouldn't mind seeing another Ultra Beast before release though. Just a picture like UB 01.

Last edited:

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Where'd the hostility come from? I was just talking about these changes in a positive light, not saying you are wrong. You need to chill.

I gave my opinion to this and your response was "not really" followed by further with telling me to leave my comfort zone. Forgive me for taking that as if you were telling me I'm wrong

And certainly there is nothing wrong with an opinion, but note you are not stating these things as opinions but as facts, and yet not backing up why you believe them.

I never said that this was fact so I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. They aren't just adding things in pokemon sun and moon, they are also taking away. Gyms and a proper league are something I enjoyed from the previous games. But in addition to that, z moves don't appeal to ME as they seem like gimmick one shots that are rather annoying meta game wise. Ultra Beasts, I don't see the point of. Uncatchable creatures that aren't even pokemon? Why bother? Pokemon is about catching and training. Obviously once we more more my opinion can and will change but for now it stands.

Regional variants though are cool and make sense.

But as others have said, it is too much too quickly IN MY OPINION.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
does anyone else feel like this is just all way to much change at this point?

i mean, we have:

alolan forms
z moves
ultra beasts
no offical league
multi stage challenges with no gyms

i just feel like this is just way to much change. they are shoving all these new ideas and changes at us and its a big risk to take. it could either be great or flop hard. these changes introduced one or 2 at a time would be fine but all at once is just overkill.

having said that i do like the design of the ultra beast i just question if they should have introduced another version of monster into this game. how will they work? is this the only region where they are found and can they be caught?
Something to note: Most of the things you listed aren't really changes, they're moreso additions. The only real changes listed are the no official League and no gyms thing.

Snickerdoodle

I am so ready for these Ultra Beast guys! I don't think they're Pokemon that can be caught, and are more like the Bittercold from PMD or Dark Rust from Rumble. I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong, but all this speculation alone is getting me too hype to handle and we've still got 2 months left rofl.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
The Ultra Beasts may end up being handled similarly to the Eaters in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. They both are mainly white and resemble squid/Eldricht horrors to some degree. They may have unexplained origins and may use different non-accessible moves when in battle.

Interestingly, it was the Eaters that made me realize Bruxish was based on Dazzling Camouflage, so it's a somewhat funny coincidence that they would be unintentionally associated a second time on something unrelated.

.Aerodactyl.

Just a reminder that we have no idea yet if Ultra Beasts will be catchable and/or battle-able yet! We can only speculate... So no need to get overly worried in either direction or assume they will/won't be. We can wonder and think, but we don't know!

knightwolf09

Just a reminder that we have no idea yet if Ultra Beasts will be catchable and/or battle-able yet! We can only speculate... So no need to get overly worried in either direction or assume they will/won't be. We can wonder and think, but we don't know!

I mostly think they'll be unobtainable bosses. Because they're probably not even pokemon at all.

.Aerodactyl.

I mostly think they'll be unobtainable bosses. Because they're probably not even pokemon at all.

See, I actually think the opposite...they're gonna end up being basically Pokémon and by the end will go into the Dex and everything. But we don't know yet!

Anthea

So the ultra beast is in the aether labs

Seems like it use used by the aether team.
Probably to fight team skull

But whether it's a creation or summoned from another realm is up for debate

Status
Not open for further replies.