• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampharos

The only recurring theme between them is that all three are based on invertebrates.

True, hadn't realised that. There's a couple of others though.
They're all "bipedal". That's kinda loose in terms of UB-01 since it doesn't seem to walk but it definitely has two main lower limbs and a head. Maybe humanoid is a better term.

Their bodies also all mostly are just made of one shape in different sizes. 01 is made of tubes/rods, Beauty of cones and Expansion of orbs.
(unrelated: rods, cones and orbs just takes me back to learning eye anatomy)

Wish I could figure out what the deal with their heads is.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Why do people say UB-02 Expansion resembles Gladion? I'm not seeing it at all, other than that they're both red and edgy as ****.

Aside from it having streched, ripped skin ala Gladion's ripped clothes, there is also a connection to be made from it blade mouth/nose. You see, Gladion get his name from the Gladiolus, or "sword lily". Of course, that reasoning might just be me.

Oh, and since its name is Expansion, and it is filled with some sort of blood-like fluid, there's a good chance it has a skinnier, more Gladion-ish non-expanded form.

Rampharos

Why do people say UB-02 Expansion resembles Gladion? I'm not seeing it at all, other than that they're both red and edgy as ****.

Aside from it having streched, ripped skin ala Gladion's ripped clothes, there is also a connection to be made from it blade mouth/nose. You see, Gladion get his name from the Gladiolus, or "sword lily". Of course, that reasoning might just be me.

Oh, and since its name is Expansion, and it is filled with some sort of blood-like fluid, there's a good chance it has a skinnier, more Gladion-ish non-expanded form.

This, and the nature of it. Same as a big connection for Lillie and UB01 being that it behaves like a little girl. Gladion is the enforcer, his role is being a strong fighter and UB02 embodies that trait.

UB01 and Lillie are described as girlish. Lusamine is emphasised repeatedly as being stylish and UB02 beauty obviously shares that. UB02 expansion definitely seems to share traits with Gladion.

Last edited:

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
The only recurring theme between them is that all three are based on invertebrates.

This is a good point. When I first saw UB-01 I was thinking deep sea life before delving into the extra-dminesional theories straight afterwards. But the basis of their designs is really interesting. UB-01 is Jellyfish like- so it's based on the Phylum Cnidaria. Whilst the UB-02's appear to be insect/crustacean based, so Phylum Arthropoda. Phylums may the the basis of Ultra Beast designs- meant to represent a different group of life in each iteration. But this might also be a clue to each new 'version' we will see.

Naturally each UB we see will be more formidable for design's sake. But considering UB-01 is a simple Cnidaria life form, whereas the UB-02's are slightly more advanced cellular creatures. Maybe the potential UB-03's and beyond will be based on more and more complex forms of Animals. It may be emulating evolution itself. Either through their own state of aggressive natural selection or because the entity that is designing them is able to produce more complex creatures with every experiment.

Bamboosle

Both UB-02 make me think of the evil teams from past generations.
UB-02 Beauty: Team Flare
UB-02 Expansion: Team Aqua and Team Magma.

Probably means nothing, just coïncidence. :p

chess-z

campy vampire
All of the ultra beasts are "pest" invertebrates. Jellyfish blooms have become a problem world-wide, cockroaches pretty much embody "pest" and mosquitos are also very pestlike.

MartiniTheDratini

Another potentially interesting theory, that would have more impact if the blond "family" are in fact UB in human form, is the connection between Gladion and Type: Null. If Gladion is the Expansion UB, perhaps one reason he chose Type: Null as a partner is because of a sense of kindred spirit. What I mean by that is, Gladion and Type: Null are both beings of immense power and strength, however, for what ever reason, that power is being restrained. For Gladion, it would be his human form, for Type: Null, it would be that mask.

Also, for those wondering how Gladion could be the Expansion UB or how he could be connected to it like Lillie and Lusamine are connected to "their" UB or how people are able to see a connection between the two, think about this. Gladion and the Expansion UB share a color scheme. They both have black spikes on their shoulders, Gladion's name is based off of Gladiolus or "sword lily" and the Expansion UB has a sword-like nose. Gladion's description on the official website labels him as the Team Skull Enforcer and talks about how he values the strength in Pokémon, something Expansion UB embodies.

Not to mention, it would seem kind of weird for only 2 out of 3 of the blond trio to be connected to the UB, especially when they all seem to, intentionally, be on different sides of the playing field (Gladion=Team Skull, Lusamine=Aether, Lillie=nuetral?). Definitely seems to be a connection between Lillie, Lusamine, and the UB, why would Gladion be left out? Of course, this is all still speculation, but this is just so folks know people aren't pulling the Gladion/UB connection out of thin air.

Last edited:

Toxicated92

Water Expert
Seeing these new ultra beasts, are they going to be similar in the aspect of Ash and his Greninja?
Maybe a certain move in their 'pre-forms' leads tot hem turning into an ultra beast?
I dont think your actual charater will be able to do it, instead you have access to the new Z moves?
(not a fa of these Z moves in the TCG) but looking forward to them in game...its going to make VGC exciting next year (unlike this one...) -_-

DreamShield

I saw both UB02 as types of crustacean I've seen when I did a project on Crustacea as a whole, but that probably coloured a bias in how I see them. You're right it's probably safer to be more broad and absolutely accurate and say invertebrate rather than aquatic life. They could be based on other types of insects that don't live in water, like cockroaches, their multiple bases aren't absolutely clear I didn't mean to make it sound like a sure thing. I realize it's not so great to say things haphazardly on this forum, theories spread so quickly on misinformation :p

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So after thinking about it a bit, here's my theory on UBs. It's based on 99.5% concentrated essence of pure distilled speculation, so feel free to disregard it as such, but I think it's interesting.

At some point after the events of OR/AS, when two different legendary Pokemon (Kyogre/Groudon and Deoxys) nearly destroy the planet, a group of scientists (most likely the Aether foundation, although perhaps another rogue group of scientists that hasn't been unveiled yet) decide to create a breed of synthetic Pokemon they can control to combat legendary Pokemon. Using some sort of genetic splicing technology (the likes of which has been seen before in the form of Mewtwo and Kyurem-Black and White), they attempt to create a sort of "super Pokemon" that can defend humanity against the might of rampaging legendary Pokemon.

Type: Null is their first attempt at creating these Pokemon, and for whatever reason it is deemed a failure and therefore dubbed "nothing". Maybe it wasn't strong enough, or it was too unruly for them to control, or it simply didn't have the same level of almost transcendent adaptability they were looking for. Either way, it is cast aside and somehow ends up in the hands of Gladion, who may have been associated with the Aether foundation (or whatever organization is responsible for creating the UBs) at some point in the past. This would also explain how they got his DNA in order to create UB02-E.

After Type: Null's failure, UB01 is created. This is their first successful attempt at creating a being powerful enough to combat a legendary, but they still feel they can do better. UB01 seems to possess no will or intelligence of its own. After tweaking the technology and adding some human DNA (either Gladions or Lusamines) in an attempt to create an intelligent being, UB02 is born. Most likely more Ultra Beasts are created after this.

At some point they lose control of the Ultra Beasts, who begin attacking humanity. This is where you, the player, come in. Now you must find a way to stop beings that were specifically designed to combat the most powerful of Pokemon from destroying humanity.

Yeah, 100% speculation and I'm almost certain I'm not on the mark, but I'd like to see if any of this is accurate when the games go live.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Guys, what if there's an Ultra Beast that looks like you...?

It'd no doubt be a very, very handsome Ultra Beast.

Oh wait, did you mean the protagonist?

knightwolf09

That would require the model's overall image to vary entirely by what the player is wearing at that moment.

I doubt GAME FREAK would input something like that.

As much effort as they're putting into this game alone, I don't know...

Britney123

They almost look like they're micro organisms. UB-01 resembles a tiny sea creature barely visible to the eye. UB-02 Beauty looks almost like a Sea Monkey in its shape and Expansion looks like a very small fly. Now I'm not sure but what if they're messing around with micro organisms to try and create a virus or something? Expansion looks like a virus to me as well as some sort of fly.

They're very curious.

Anthea

Btw. Has anyone noticed how ub beauty makes the cutest waifu Pokemon? She outranks gardevpirs by miles and her slender sleek figure is refreshing to witness after lopunnys curves. I just think she is beyond all waifu Pokemon. She is not just a coincidental design that silhouette a female, she has actual heels and couture clothing pieces. Reminds me a lot of elesa

XXD17

Draco rex
Btw. Has anyone noticed how ub beauty makes the cutest waifu Pokemon? She outranks gardevpirs by miles and her slender sleek figure is refreshing to witness after lopunnys curves. I just think she is beyond all waifu Pokemon. She is not just a coincidental design that silhouette a female, she has actual heels and couture clothing pieces. Reminds me a lot of elesa

Sure...I guess...if you want a roach for a waifu...I saw it as ironic...making one of the trashiest animals on the planet a representation of beauty....

Status
Not open for further replies.