1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

With all the hoopla about the Ultra Beasts, and then the inclusion of Zygarde, I'm really wondering what Solgaleo and Lunala have to do with this.

They really have taken a backseat in all the press, so I'm definitely curious to know their significance.

2. knightwolf09

knightwolf09 Well-Known Member

Well the main site says they're the key to the story, so maybe they also show up to combat the Ultra Beasts as well.

3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Oh man! I'd love that, would be a really interesting plot.

No worries, Youtube comments can do bad things to a body ;-) I have looked at the Ultra Beasts again since I wrote the message and I think, the most "alien" (not in the sense of extraterrestrial, but as in "strange, unusual in a frightening way") is UB1's lack of a face kin combination with its humanoid-like features. The only pokemon that don't have a face are Staryu and Starmie. If it is a pokemon after all, then colour me surprised, because I didn't expect them to make another pokemon without a face (not that I'm opposed to the idea)
    Beauty reminds me very much of Guardevoir. Absorption actually reminds me of Golurk to some extend. But I still think Beauty is the most "pokemon-like" of the bunch.

I will admit that with UB1 I saw a faceless tentacle thing swimming in and out of reality and jumped to the conclusion that it is an eldritch horror. I still hope that it is the case, since it would be very refreshing and interesting imho.

4. Bus

Bus Well-Known Member

Shame on you; you missed out on a prime opportunity for a good Pun. I shall fix it for you.

5. Endless

Endless Sun God ☉

My preference is pretty much the opposite of yours. I don't really like the idea of Ultra Beasts not being pokémon, but I would still want them to be catchable. Collecting pokémon and knowing that whatever you face in the games you can acquire yourself sooner or later is probably my favorite thing about the games.
    I know there has been a few exceptions, but the Ghosts of Lavender were just real pokémon in disguise. The other case being Pokéstar enemies which I didn't like much(nor Pokéstar Studios in general for the matter),but luckily for me the whole thing was kind of forgettable in BW2, and not integral to the story like Ultra Beasts seem to be.
    Monster catching/raising games that have boss enemies you can never use yourself just seems like a waste to me, particularly if they follow the same rules as the other monsters. In this case this would be Ultra Beasts battling the same way as other pokémon, with moves and HP and what not.

I agree that UB-02 Beauty is the one that feels the most out of place of the Ultra Beaats though, I think the very familiar eyes is what does it for me.

6. Orphalesion

I can understand your preference. really with me it's probably just different because I don't catch/use legendaries due to roleplaying purposes. So to me the Ultra Beasts (if they worked like legendaries, powerful, unique pokemon) would just be another group of pokemon I don't catch due to my preferred way of playing the game.

But yes I can see how it would be less than ideal for people who at least want the option to catch them.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

7. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

I have to say, I'm rather disappointed in the new trailer. It didn't reveal anything at all of any interest, other than confirming the fact that there are other Ultra Beasts that have yet to be unveiled (which was pretty obvious even before the trailer went live).

8. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

If CoroCoro never leaked then the trailer would have been the first to reveal the two UB-02. Got to see them in action at least and see a little glimps of the story. Plus there will be another video next week.

9. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Lover of the Fairy type

I hope, I want some mystery.

How so?

Good point. I'm sure they will show up and fight the Ultra Beasts as well, especially if Tapu Koko loses.

This. I find it a tease to introduce something in a game where the purpose is to catch them all...but make it uncatchable.

10. Greatemboar

Greatemboar The White Warrior

Following on with what others are saying perhaps the Ultra Beasts are throwing the region into disarray by removing the island guardians thus weakening a seal that keeps Solgaleo/Lunala dormant and due to the Ultra Beasts Zygarde is forced to get involved and needs all it's strength to battle the Ultra Beasts.

11. What annoys me about Expansion is that it makes it seem less likely that we'll ever get a mosquito Pokemon. Of all the types of insects there are, I'm still shocked there isn't a mosquito Pokemon. It wouldn't be too bad if it turned out that you can catch the ultra beasts, but it still wouldn't quite be the same.

12. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

He didn't say anything about CoroCoro. Even putting it aside, all this trailer did was affirm the obvious point that UB-01 wouldn't be the only one.

Not that I'm complaining about that being all we got, mind you, with there being another trailer on the way in less than a week.

The short of it, I believe, is that some people feel that Legendaries are on too high a pedestal to logically be allowed to be caught. It's a ridiculous point, as far as I see it, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

13. Orphalesion

I wouldn't be too worried about that; if we can have dogs, foxes, cats and butterflies by the truckload we can have two pokemon (or as it were a pokemon and an Ultra Beast) with a proboscis.

14. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

So, am I recalling wrong, or did CoroCoro state Beauty was exclusive to Sun instead?

15. JVLightningLover

JVLightningLover Veteran Trainer

Nope. Absorbtion was shown in Sun, and Beauty was in Moon.

16. Vergalon

Vergalon New Member

It's funny seeing the UB after finishing Devil Survivor 2.
    They remind me of the Septentriones, or some of the demons from the Shin Megami Tensei series

17. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Ah, guess I am recalling wrong then.

On another note, I find it interesting how we haven't seen any gameplay of the player actually battling an Ultra Beast.

18. Sulfurian

Sulfurian Well-Known Member

To be fair we didn't even know if we were getting a new trailer today. They're probably reserving the dog evolutions for the 20th

19. JVLightningLover

JVLightningLover Veteran Trainer

True, but some Tapu Koko on UB02 action is just so much cooler :)

20. BlitzGirl41

BlitzGirl41 Well-Known Member

I guess it would be a nice change of pace, having battles that take place between the threat and another trainer, not ourselves. I wonder how much of a cinematic approach is going to be taken with this gen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.