• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
So I'm watching Pokemon D/P anime and a thought comes to my head, how are Palkia and Dialga not in the same category as Ultra Beasts as well as Giratina and Arceus and well all of the major legendaries as well. It really makes me think how silly catching any of these "Pokemon" are. It makes me worry that the Ultra Beasts will be able to be caught, Seriously it's a terrible idea if true and battling online will just get more annoying if that's the case.

Legendary Pokemon are still Pokemon, so they can still be captured regardless of how powerful they are. And like I said in a previous post, there's usually a storyline reason for capturing these Pokemon. The general it tends to be "this Legendary Pokemon respects your strength and wishes to see if you are worthy of being partners". Basically, the games say that these Legendary Pokemon WANT to find a partner and to be captured. It just so happens that the trainers they tend to go for are the "chosen hero" player characters we play as. Though, N captures one of the Unova dragons too, but he was deemed worthy as well.

You could also argue that some of these Pokemon are too dangerous to allow to remain wild, such as Mewtwo or Deoxys. You have to capture Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre to keep them from destroying Hoenn, so there's that too.

Why are they not Ultra Beasts? Because we don't know what the Ultra Beasts even are yet. They're not considered Pokemon right now, but maybe they will be in the future. But there clearly must be something up with them since they all resemble human characters in the game and are not categorized as Pokemon anywhere officially yet. If they end up not being Pokemon, it wouldn't make sense to be able to capture them. (Unless a special way of capturing non-Pokemon is invented and allows you to use them like Pokemon in battle, but I don't see that happening)

TyLogic

This is just a stretch but here goes...

What if, after the events in S&M Ultra Beast become more common. Like they reproduced and spread out across other regions. The Mascot Legendaries for future gens could be Utra Beast! I know that legendaries can't reproduce (minus Manaphy) but they aren't exactly confirmed to be pokemon. I'm not sure how people would feel about mascot legendaries that aren't catchable (if you can't catch them now), but i would love that idea!

Lets hope GF goes the right direction with Utra Beast. They have a lot of potential!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Ultra Beast seem to be Bosses to me. Like they are using them as milestones because we don't have gym leaders ( we have trial captains but i don't think you get to battle all of them and IIRC there are only 4 kahunas).

As for what they are as a whole, they're said to be "a threat to humans and pokemon". But that can be interpreted a number of ways. Its clear (in appearance) that they are not human but they might be pokemon. Or you could say that that they are neither and are a new species all together.

That's kind of what I'm thinking they're going to be used for. If it's true that there are no Gyms, there would have to be something else in the game to test your team at certain intervals. Without Gyms serving as the boss fights, they would need to have something else to fight. That's just a basic fundamental RPG mechanic. There has to be something to test the party (and by extension, the player) from time to time. So it does make sense that these could fill that role.

As for what they are exactly... Well, they could be aliens. Some kind of extraterrestrial creatures. Or they could be artificial lifeforms or a failed experiment (though I think the latter is less likely, since it's already been done in Pokémon).

Last edited:

TyLogic

That's kind of what I'm thinking they're going to be used for. If it's true that there are no Gyms, there would have to be something else in the game to test your team at certain intervals. Without Gyms serving as the boss fights, they would need to have something else to fight. That's just a basic fundamental RPG mechanic. There has to be something to test the party (and by extension, the player) from time to time. So it does make sense that these could fill that role.

As for what they are exactly... Well, they could be aliens. Some kind of extraterrestrial creatures. Or they could be artificial lifeforms or a failed experiment (though I think the latter is less likely, since it's already been done in Pokémon).

Your absolutely right! The latter is unlikely but it did imply that they just started showing up. Being experiments could also explain why they look like humans. Maybe they were modeled after someone specifically (Lillie and Lusamine so far).

And if they are milestones when would we start fighting them? I can't imagine going up against an Utra Beast with a level 15-20 Litten. Unless the first one is the weakest of them all.

There's only one problem i have with them being bosses. How much HP would they have. they can't be a strength tester if they have the same health of average pokemon. Maybe UB-02 Beauty makes others fight for it? Or maybe they have really high defense and attack? That wouldn't allow you to take it out with one pokemon easily.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Legendary Pokemon are still Pokemon, so they can still be captured regardless of how powerful they are. And like I said in a previous post, there's usually a storyline reason for capturing these Pokemon. The general it tends to be "this Legendary Pokemon respects your strength and wishes to see if you are worthy of being partners". Basically, the games say that these Legendary Pokemon WANT to find a partner and to be captured. It just so happens that the trainers they tend to go for are the "chosen hero" player characters we play as. Though, N captures one of the Unova dragons too, but he was deemed worthy as well.

You could also argue that some of these Pokemon are too dangerous to allow to remain wild, such as Mewtwo or Deoxys. You have to capture Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre to keep them from destroying Hoenn, so there's that too.

Why are they not Ultra Beasts? Because we don't know what the Ultra Beasts even are yet. They're not considered Pokemon right now, but maybe they will be in the future. But there clearly must be something up with them since they all resemble human characters in the game and are not categorized as Pokemon anywhere officially yet. If they end up not being Pokemon, it wouldn't make sense to be able to capture them. (Unless a special way of capturing non-Pokemon is invented and allows you to use them like Pokemon in battle, but I don't see that happening)

We already have a species that isn't classified as Pokemon in the series...humans. And they've never really given a explanation for how they co-exist, which has only gotten harder to swallow as it seems the Pokemon universe was designed for Pokemon. The Ultra Beasts could simply be the second kind of creature that's a non-Pokemon.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
so I just had a crazy thought... the chinese leak, one of the more reliable ones, says that Ash greninja will be a thing. So maybe these ultra beasts have some similar connection (not the same, but similar concept of "synching") with gladion, lillie, and lusamine, and that's why they look similar...

TyLogic

so I just had a crazy thought... the chinese leak, one of the more reliable ones, says that Ash greninja will be a thing. So maybe these ultra beasts have some similar connection (not the same, but similar concept of "synching") with gladion, lillie, and lusamine, and that's why they look similar...

Which one is supposed to be Gladion? It can't be UB-02 Absorption. That has to be of some other unrevealed character. They look nothing alike IMO.

Last edited:

Hauke_von_Arding

Ash Greninja doesn't look like Ash. The similiarity is just coincidence. You can see in the Ninja Village that there was already a Greninja looking like this many years ago before Ash even was born.

TyLogic

Ash Greninja doesn't look like Ash. The similiarity is just coincidence. You can see in the Ninja Village that there was already a Greninja looking like this many years ago before Ash even was born.

Really? Was this in the anime? (I don't really watch it as much as I used too)
I thought it was odd that we'd be able to use Ash Greninja in Sun and Moon. Especially if Ash doesn't exist in the games. His counterpart is Red right? Ash Greninja doesn't look like Red at all IMO. I guess it doesn't really have to look like Red but still. Didn't they call it Rainbow Greninja or something. If they do let us use it I hope it looks different than the one in the anime.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I think Ash and Greninja are supposed to look similar (color palette wise), and the coincidence is that he and that ninja sometime ago may have looked somewhat alike.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
We already have a species that isn't classified as Pokemon in the series...humans. And they've never really given a explanation for how they co-exist, which has only gotten harder to swallow as it seems the Pokemon universe was designed for Pokemon. The Ultra Beasts could simply be the second kind of creature that's a non-Pokemon.

At some point, you have to just accept it's a fictional world that doesn't make sense. "An Italian plumber rescuing a princess of mushroom people from evil turtles" is literally Super Mario Bros. But even in the game canon, the Pokemon are still considered mysterious in a lot of ways, even the more common ones.

I'd be fine with the Ultra Beasts being neither human nor Pokemon. Actually, I hope that's the case because that would be something very different from anything we've seen so far in these games.

Which one is supposed to be Gladion? It can't be UB-03 Absorption. That has to be of some other unrevealed character. They look nothing alike IMO.

Gladion and UB-02 Absorption are both red and black. Gladion has the "spikes" on the sleeves of his hoodie and Absorption has actual spikes on its shoulders. Gladion is also said to value power above all else, and Absorption is super jacked. And some people have said Gladion's name references some kind of "blade", which is what Absorption appears to have on its head. It's clearly the least obvious of the 3, but Gladion has to be tied to Absorption since he has the same hair and eye color as Lillie and Lusamine who also look like Ultra Beasts. I'm thinking the three a likely siblings.

clbgolden12

Gladion and UB-02 Absorption are both red and black. Gladion has the "spikes" on the sleeves of his hoodie and Absorption has actual spikes on its shoulders. Gladion is also said to value power above all else, and Absorption is super jacked. And some people have said Gladion's name references some kind of "blade", which is what Absorption appears to have on its head. It's clearly the least obvious of the 3, but Gladion has to be tied to Absorption since he has the same hair and eye color as Lillie and Lusamine who also look like Ultra Beasts. I'm thinking the three a likely siblings.
I wouldn't say Gladion has to be tied to Absorption. He could be tied to another unrevealed UB.

Well, I'm pretty sure that classifications such as "Electric Mouse Pokémon", at the very least, implies the existence of species from the real world in the series. Which either perished with the evolution of Pokémon or are near-extinct

I wouldn't say Gladion has to be tied to Absorption. He could be tied to another unrevealed UB.

Agreed. What makes it strange for me is that if Lusamine is UB-02 Beauty, it being version exclusive implies that either she is both versions of UB-02, or that there is someone who is her opposite in the games (think Archie/Maxie) that we have not seen yet.

Or, you know, there's no logic involved in the appearance whatsoever and this is Oak's UB form... ;)

Last edited:

Class Zero

We have arrived.
The only thing about UBs being linked with people, in terms of the UB-02s, is that they're version exclusive..

Like, UB-01 linked with Lillie I can support, UB-02 Beauty linked with Lusamine is also kinda obvious... but I'm not too sure about Gladion and UB-02 Expansion. The thing I have against Gladion = Expansion is that I wouldn't put him on the same level as Lusamine, so it doesn't make sense to me to have them as an exclusives. Maybe it's an unseen Aether Foundation member, maybe it's Wicke and represents her polar opposite, but I don't think it's Gladion...

The only thing about UBs being linked with people, in terms of the UB-02s, is that they're version exclusive..

Like, UB-01 linked with Lillie I can support, UB-02 Beauty linked with Lusamine is also kinda obvious... but I'm not too sure about Gladion and UB-02 Expansion. The thing I have against Gladion = Expansion is that I wouldn't put him on the same level as Lusamine, so it doesn't make sense to me to have them as an exclusives. Maybe it's an unseen Aether Foundation member, maybe it's Wicke and represents her polar opposite, but I don't think it's Gladion...

Exactly my thoughts (which are just above yours). I mean, looking at the design of Absorption, the closest human I'd say we have to this in design would be Lysandre, and that's based exclusively on his colour palette.

clbgolden12

Agreed. What makes it strange for me is that if Lusamine is UB-02 Beauty, it being version exclusive implies that either she is both versions of UB-02, or that there is someone who is her opposite in the games (think Archie/Maxie) that we have not seen yet.

Or, you know, there's no logic involved in the appearance whatsoever and this is Oak's UB form... ;)
Nah, if UB-02 was a Professor we all know it'd be Kukui. He's the only buff Professor around.

TyLogic

What if only some are linked with humans?

And about UB-01, They said it's constantly changing forms never settling on one. It keeps hitting my mind but I don't know why. Is it possible that ALL UB's can do that. Maybe It has something to do with it's name.

I kinda hope UB-01's name is "UB-01 Innocence". That would make sense to me.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
All three of the UBs we've seen haven't been shown with a type or ability... I think if they had either of those they would've shown them on the spot.

I don't know about that. If they revealed the UB's Types and Abilities right away (assuming they have them), that would just make them seem like more new Pokemon, where as this way they maintain an air of mystery around them. What are they? What do they want? What are they capable of?

That said, I would love it if they didn't have any particular Type(s), but instead had a unique set of weaknesses, resistances, and immunities, ala classic RPG bosses, and perhaps they could have their own, special Ability-like traits as well.

These things have me intrigued...I can't wait to see what else we can learn about them (perhaps on Tuesday).

clbgolden12

I don't know about that. If they revealed the UB's Types and Abilities right away (assuming they have them), that would just make them seem like more new Pokemon, where as this way they maintain an air of mystery around them. What are they? What do they want? What are they capable of?
I don't think it would lift their ar of mystery. Even if we knew they had types/abilities, there'd still be a lot we don't know about them.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I don't think it would lift their ar of mystery. Even if we knew they had types/abilities, there'd still be a lot we don't know about them.

But, like I said, it would make people assume that they were just more Pokemon that broke naming conventions (like Tapu Koko, Jangmo-o, and Type: Null), and I don't think we're supposed to view them as being Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.