• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Well I was speaking in a general sense. And not every pokemon that jumps out the grass wants to be caught. I wonder how starter pokemon feel about being starter pokemon?

Probably like any pet... who cares at first, but once you care for it then it'll start to care for you. They also have no choice and it'd be like asking if the pet at a pet store is excited to be someones first pet.. except that they can sometimes show emotion and thought, and then at sometimes be completely on instinct depending on plot.

But in a pokemon sense, it seems the professor talks up the journey and growing strong with a partner and forming a bond, so they get excited on that.

TyLogic

Really, any specific examples? As for starters we don't know specifics for how the professors got them, but I think more points to them being totally fine with it. Breeded pokemon are fine with us, traded pokemon, ect.

I don't have any specific examples no... But we can't just assume that every pokemon that jumps out of the tall grass wants to be caught. Starters probably do like being chosen though. They are literally raised to be trained. It's probably every starters dream to be chosen and travel with a trainer. Of course breeded pokemon don't have a problem because we're like their parents. Traded pokemon, not so much. I don't think traded pokemon appreciate being given to another trainer against their will. If they did, we wouldn't need badges to make them listen to us. Not to mention that N was surprised to hear the player characters pokemon say that they actually liked the player character. I don't know if that means N's only use to hearing the voices of hurt pokemon or if it means most pokemon don't like their trainers. That will be interpreted differently by others.

I never meant to cause a debate. Hopefully Roto will let us understand pokemon as a whole better. DON'T FAIL ME ROTO!!! XD

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer
Ultra Beasts just weird me out. Not because they are creepy but because they are so different, bold and unique. It's to the point that I'm not sure what to make of them except that Gamefreak really really want to change up the formula. I am curious as to where they will take this. I kind of hope we can catch Ultra beasts and that they behave like legendaries but I have some doubts. We shall see.

TyLogic

Ultra Beasts just weird me out. Not because they are creepy but because they are so different, bold and unique. It's to the point that I'm not sure what to make of them except that Gamefreak really really want to change up the formula. I am curious as to where they will take this. I kind of hope we can catch Ultra beasts and that they behave like legendaries but I have some doubts. We shall see.

I kinda hope the mascot legendaries of gen 8 are ultra beasts. that'd be really cool right?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I kinda hope the mascot legendaries of gen 8 are ultra beasts. that'd be really cool right?
The problem with this is that I'm pretty sure in Pokémon terms a Pokémon classed as both a "legendary" and "Ultra Beast" would contradict itself.

Not to mention, it'd depend if GameFreak wants to keep making Ultra Beasts for future games, or if they'll be an Alolan only thing.

TyLogic

The problem with this is that I'm pretty sure in Pokémon terms a Pokémon classed as both a "legendary" and "Ultra Beast" would contradict itself.

Not to mention, it'd depend if GameFreak wants to keep making Ultra Beasts for future games, or if they'll be an Alolan only thing.

Well I just thought it'd be cool to have an Ultra Beast on the box cover. Whether they continue or not with the concept is a good question though.
They could put UB's on the boxart for Sun and Moon 2! (I say that because I hope the third version game is a sequel :D)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm still holding on to the idea that they'll be classified later, probably as legendaries.

I hope that this'll be the case cuz having mysterious creatures in Sun and Moon that aren't even classified as being actual pokemon feels strange to me. I'm all for change, but to me Ultra Beasts are such a sudden concept that require some more getting used to. ^^;

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer

That would be cool! I'd have to see how they turn out first to be certain. Ub's are uncharted territory which makes them hype worthy. I look forward to see what Gamefreak has in store. It could be an Alolan thing but only time will tell. Aliens could be very easily shipped to gen 8 when it comes.

TyLogic

That would be cool! I'd have to see how they turn out first to be certain. Ub's are uncharted territory which makes them hype worthy. I look forward to see what Gamefreak has in store. It could be an Alolan thing but only time will tell. Aliens could be very easily shipped to gen 8 when it comes.

If they are aliens, then why isn't Elgyem and Beeheyem classified as Ultra Beast? I think there are others but if they are... We might see the return of... TEAM GALACTIC!!! Or someone else with a similar goal. The Aether Foundation perhaps?

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer
We are lined up to get gen 4 remakes (not that I've been waiting or anything... *cough* Dialga lover *cough*). I guess when I said alien I kind of meant extradimensional but still the ub's seem kind of alien in design. With the Sun and Moon space theme plus the extradimensional with ub's DP remakes seem to be strongly hinted at being around the corner. Ultra beasts are probably our hint currently.

TyLogic

We are lined up to get gen 4 remakes (not that I've been waiting or anything... *cough* Dialga lover *cough*). I guess when I said alien I kind of meant extradimensional but still the ub's seem kind of alien in design. With the Sun and Moon space theme plus the extradimensional with ub's DP remakes seem to be strongly hinted at being around the corner. Ultra beasts are probably our hint currently.

I don't really know if it can be considered a hint. They do look like interdimensional beings though. Didn't they upgrade Porygon2 (Porygon-Z) to be able to travel through dimensions, but it failed? I. Would. Love. To see Porygon-Z get a spotlight for just five seconds. I'd be happy just to see Porygon-Z in the overworld!

Also you like Dialga? I could've sworn that picture was a Lilipup. (JK)

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well, time to break my lurking streak...

I actually have a theory regarding this.

To start, there's a theory I've heard other people talk about before that suggests that humans are in fact Pokemon. Basically, it says that in the real world, you have all these living creatures that are categorized as animals, plants, fungi, etc., and that humans fall into the animal category. If you consider Pokemon the animals, plants, etc. of their world, then following this logic, humans would technically be Pokemon as well. This can explain why some humans in the Poke-world seem to have superpowers, like the many Psychics seen throughout the games. Those are residual powers from when humans were originally Pokemon.

My theory is that human's abilities aren't limited to residual telekinesis, but rather they have a unique ability, one that no other Pokemon has; the ability to amplify power through bonds. In other words, by being caught and bonding with trainers, a Pokemon can reach levels of strength previously unavailable to it. If this sounds familiar, you probably played Pokemon Conquest, which uses an idea similar to this to explain the Warrior/Pokemon relationship. But I believe this theory can work in the main series as well.

Let's take a look at two Rattata. Both are wild, but they're different levels, let's say, 5 and 10. Which gives more experience after being defeated? The level 10 one, right? But why? Mostly likely because it's a higher level. In other words, it's stronger. Now let's imagine these Rattata are the same level. The only difference between them now is that one is wild, while the other is partnered with a trainer. Which gives more experience? If you've played Pokemon, you know it's the trainer-owned one. Why? Well, following our prior logic, it's that it's stronger, solely because it's owned by a trainer. So Youngster Joey's Rattata isn't top-percentage because it's naturally gifted, but because of the bond the two share.

Not only can you use this theory to explain why trainer Pokemon give more experience than wild Pokemon, but you could also use it to explain why gym badges allow you to control stronger Pokemon, how Return works, why max friendship is needed to learn the elemental Hyper Beams/Draco Meteor, why friendship is required to evolve certain Pokemon, how a ten-year-old can catch a (supposed) god, why wild Pokemon can't Mega-evolve, and how Ash's Pikachu is so freaking strong. However, I'm going to stop here, because I'd like to keep this text wall on the shorter side, and it's three in the morning oh god.

TL;DR The symbiotic relationship between humans and Pokemon is based on humanity's natural ability to harness the power of friendship.

What if humans have a type that no other Pokemon has, that makes them take neutral damage on everything?

Pokemon seem to follow a warrior code. Perhaps the reason why they obey you immediately is due to recognizing you as a worthy fighter. They could apply that with other Pokemon-imagine tribes of Pokemon where the leader is the highest level

Going to the Ultra Beasts, I have a feeling based on the trailers that they have some sort of symbiotic connection to humans. Maybe they're like Personas

TyLogic

What if humans have a type that no other Pokemon has, that makes them take neutral damage on everything?

Pokemon seem to follow a warrior code. Perhaps the reason why they obey you immediately is due to recognizing you as a worthy fighter. They could apply that with other Pokemon-imagine tribes of Pokemon where the leader is the highest level

Going to the Ultra Beasts, I have a feeling based on the trailers that they have some sort of symbiotic connection to humans. Maybe they're like Personas

Well they look like humans so... What if they are the missing link? Does that make sense?

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
maybe the ultra beasts are mutated ditto, and instead of copying pokemon they partially copy humans, or more particularly an outward representation of their internal selves. just a random idea.

TyLogic

maybe the ultra beasts are mutated ditto, and instead of copying pokemon they partially copy humans, or more particularly an outward representation of their internal selves. just a random idea.

That makes sense for UB-01 Innocence (That's a Nickname), since they said it's constantly changing form. But Diancie is a mutated Carbink and it isn't classified as an Ultra Beast. So I doubt a mutated Ditto would become one as well.

goodpeople25

In this case I would say not all mutations are equal. Dianice dosen't rule this out at all really, and pokemon has used the term mutation for things like eevee evolving as well. The term would do what they want it to do is what I'm saying.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Is it just me, or are people having trouble imagining an actual non-Pokemon enemy in the series?

Cutty

Forever now
It looks like those beasts trying to imitate humans. So I go w/ another species theory other than pokemon & humans.

BladeForge

Happy Person
I think that UB-01 was created from a little girl, because its sorta lik a ghost(Which is a bit creepy) Also, The other two are like bugs, so...
Another thought, Maybe you can like summon them just for battle and stuff or you need all three to get the legendary pokemon from the other game. They also seem to be expiriments like Mewtwo, just a whole new species instead of modifying an old species

TyLogic

Hey I just had a thought!
What if Ultra-Beast can speak pokemon and human. Or Roto will just translate what they say for us. They probably feel as if humans and pokemon are inferior to them and wish to eradicate them. That'd be a cool plot! :D But if they could talk that'd be great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.