• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ver-mont

I think they may technically not be Pokémon, for story purposes.

...but they might as well be, because I guess they'll be treated as such for all gameplay purposes.

I mean, I think they'll be catchable, have types, have abilities, and so on.

knightwolf09

I think they may technically not be Pokémon, for story purposes.

...but they might as well be, because I guess they'll be treated as such for all gameplay purposes.

I mean, I think they'll be catchable, have types, have abilities, and so on.

Part of me thinks that if we are going to catch them, we won't get to battle with them. Mostly because I doubt they'll listen to orders. Catching them would be purely for collection.

PokeFan707

I once heard someone say they may come from a world where Humans and Pokemon are the same, this could be why UB-01 looks like Lillie and UB-02 Beauty looks like Lusamine if they're not the same, they could just be the Ultra Beasts' world's version of the two.

They could also be Pokemon, but from a different plane of existence, one that Arceus doesn't control. Or if we consider the multiverse theory, maybe they come from gaps between the universes that make the Gen 1 through 5 games and Gen 6 and Up games? If it's the latter that could work in a way that makes you fight them without types, but once caught they get types because you can realize what they are.

It could be possible we have to fight them multiple times in the game too, and until those new types of Pokeballs are created it's possible normal ones won't work on them.

Legendary Dreams

If the Ultra Beasts are catchable I sure hope they aren't restricted to be only be caught by specific Balls designed to capture them... mainly because I want to catch them using Ultra Balls.

I have this habit of catching all regular Pokemon in only Pokeballs and Legendaries in Premier Balls (unless not given a choice) and since I usually just sell Great/Ultra Balls I get during a game, I immediately thought that Ultra Balls were finally given some purpose for me when they revealed that Ultra Beasts could probably be caught.

Aetius

I honestly think that capturing UBs won't be like catching Pokèmon.
What if capturing them actualy means sealing them?
I mean, I can't see Nintendo allowing us to use these beasts as Pokèmon on our teams...

I honestly think that capturing UBs won't be like catching Pokèmon.
What if capturing them actualy means sealing them?
I mean, I can't see Nintendo allowing us to use these beasts as Pokèmon on our teams...
Why not? I don't really see what the problem with using them in battle would be.
We are allowed to use things like the creation trio and Arceus, who rule over timespace and seemingly created the universe.
As for how humanoid some of them look that's really nothing new, we have had Machamp since gen I, and pokémon like Yamask and Phantump were claimed to be straight-up human in the past.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Why not? I don't really see what the problem with using them in battle would be.

I agree, if the Pokedex entries are to be taken at face value, and Arceus is the literal creator god of Pokeworld, then there is literally nothing that can't be a catchable pokemon.

I agree, if the Pokedex entries are to be taken at face value, and Arceus is the literal creator god of Pokeworld, then there is literally nothing that can't be a catchable pokemon.

But what if the ultra beasts are:
a) not created by Poke God
b) not Pokemon?

Orphalesion

But what if the ultra beasts are:
a) not created by Poke God
b) not Pokemon?

If we can capture Poke God, I see nothing wrong with capturing Poke Cthulhu *shrug* That's all. I'd prefer it myself if they weren't catchable, I'm just saying that if they are catchable there would be nothing wrong with it.

If we can capture Poke God, I see nothing wrong with capturing Poke Cthulhu *shrug* That's all. I'd prefer it myself if they weren't catchable, I'm just saying that if they are catchable there would be nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

ABD goddamn it please don't make them capturable. Or at least make it so that the capturable ones are only betas [following the manmade theory].

Sakuraba

The problem is: why? Why go through all the trouble of marketing them as something weird and different when they are just weird pokemon in the end? Why not just say they are legendary Pokémon and be done with it? Why have a special ball that just looks different? Why make special animations for them? Why describe them as mysterious when they are just fancy pokemon? Why go that extra mile when they are just more of the thing we've seen over the past 20 years?

noakai

The problem is: why? Why go through all the trouble of marketing them as something weird and different when they are just weird pokemon in the end? Why not just say they are legendary Pokémon and be done with it? Why have a special ball that just looks different? Why make special animations for them? Why describe them as mysterious when they are just fancy pokemon? Why go that extra mile when they are just more of the thing we've seen over the past 20 years?

My guess is that finding out whether they're Pokemon or not is meant to be the big "ohhh shiiiii-" moment, so to do that, they have to start by telling you that they're not Pokemon. If they had debuted them without saying they aren't Pokemon, people would have just assumed they were (and probably complained about them ripping off Digimon bc of the designs). And if you think they aren't Pokemon, you start speculating about all kinds of stuff and it gets people more hyped and wanting to play to solve the mystery.

That's assuming of course that that's the plot line they're going for. But for a lot of people, whether they're called Pokemon or not, the fact that you can catch them makes them pretty much Pokemon anyway.

Akashin

To do something different. Does there need to be more reason than that?

Being weird/different and still being Pokemon are not mutually exclusive. They're still different to a significant enough extent to warrant study into what they are, when even the rarest of Legendaries didn't need any such thing to be classified as Pokemon.

Orphalesion

Well why else

[spoil] give them a place in the pokedex?[/spoil]

Maybe they are meant to be a special "group" of Pokemon due to their unique properties and/or origin. And maybe they are mysterious Pokemon. Maybe we only learn during the plot that they are, in fact, Pokemon.

Consider Lusamine's line about how "Even pokemon from distant worlds, far from the Alola Region" are worthy of her love...

Sure that could be a quirk in the translation but maybe she really is talking about different worlds...she knows something...

knightwolf09

Well why else

Maybe they are meant to be a special "group" of Pokemon due to their unique properties and/or origin. And maybe they are mysterious Pokemon. Maybe we only learn during the plot that they are, in fact, Pokemon.

Consider Lusamine's line about how "Even pokemon from distant worlds, far from the Alola Region" are worthy of her love...

Sure that could be a quirk in the translation but maybe she really is talking about different worlds...she knows something...

I'm still gonna say UBs are creatures that are not pokemon but can be captured. There's still that puzzling mystery of why in Italy they are called Ultra Chimeras.

Sakuraba

Well why else

Then it doesn't go anywhere. The entire plot of the game becomes meaningless just because of that.

You're reading too far into it. It's not that deep, fam.

Hauke_von_Arding

I'm still gonna say UBs are creatures that are not pokemon but can be captured. There's still that puzzling mystery of why in Italy they are called Ultra Chimeras.

Because Chimera in italian or French can mean 'Monster' or 'Beast'. It has nothing to do with the English meaning of Chimeras...

Then it doesn't go anywhere. The entire plot of the game becomes meaningless just because of that.

You're reading too far into it. It's not that deep, fam.

Mysterious creatures in a pokémon game that you can battle and seemingly catch potentially being pokémon could hardly be called a surprise, much less "reading to far into it".
I don't see how this would ruin the plot either, in the grand scale of things "pokémon" is just a (very vague) classification.

R_N

Mysterious creatures in a pokémon game that you can battle and seemingly catch potentially being pokémon could hardly be called a surprise, much less "reading to far into it".
I don't see how this would ruin the plot either, in the grand scale of things "pokémon" is just a (very vague) classification.

Yeah, being pokemon from another world/dimension doesn't stop the fact that they are seemingly hostilely invading the alola region

Status
Not open for further replies.