1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by Endless, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daisukereds

Daisukereds Well-Known Member

What if Ultra Beasts come from an alternate world where Alchemy fused Pokémon and Humans together?

2. RenanSegretti

RenanSegretti Renan Segretti

Ultra beasts
    Team Skull
    Good guys fundation (forgot the name)
    Zygarde
    Solgaleo and Lunala
    In therms of things relevant for the story, Alola does have a lot of stuff going on!

I hope the gameplay will be longer than the other games

3. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "And just what are you starin' at?"

This isn't going to be something out of Full Metal Alchemist.

4. ABC595

ABC595 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I get the reason for legendary Pokemon being catchable because they are still Pokemon but these aren't so shouldn't be.

5. Anthea

Anthea Well-Known Member

Do you think that ultra beasts are legendary Pokemon ? I know we already have the totem legends, but some games have several sets of legendaries

6. Nunn

Nunn Pokermanz Meister!

Well technically we don't know what it normally looks like. Could just be a blob of liquid glass stuff. But it mimics a jellyfish to look like Lillie.

7. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Ultra Beasts are called Ultra Chimeras in French..hmmm

8. JVLightningLover

JVLightningLover Veteran Trainer

The plot thickens!

9. .Aerodactyl.

.Aerodactyl. Well-Known Member

I feel like the reference to glass is important, just don't know how. Glass is usually associated with being a synthetic made thing, but also occurs naturally. It also is used a lot with light (legendary connection?)

What I wonder is: Do you guys think that all the Ultra Beasts are gonna be variations of UB 01, like jelly-fish like creatures... Or that they will be as crazy diverse as Pokémon themselves? Like maybe canine like ones, and birds, fish, turtles, etc... In some ways I can see both. If they serve as "bosses" I could see getting very diverse looking ultra beasts, especially if they are really just alien Pokémon from across the universe or something. On the other hand, if they are more like interdimensional beings, I could see them all being pretty much jelly-fish with just slight variations between them. I do think their facelessness adds to their mystery, so in that sense, it would be best to keep them like this and not make them so reminiscent of other creatures that are more relatable.

Thoughts?

10. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "And just what are you starin' at?"

Mother 3 speculation intensifies.

11. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

Not really. I feel like it basically confirms they're human + Pokemon/alien hybrids which we suspect already.

12. Aleh

Aleh «Last Hope»

Is there any pokemon that doesn't have any sort of eye in their design? I can't currently think of any, but I might just have a bad memory. Because then this Ultra Beast would be the only thing without eyes, which would set it apart if it really isn't an actual pokemon. It's the first thing I noticed about it.

13. LockFelino

LockFelino Sparkling Noodleboi

Well, Deino and Zweilous technically. But I think it's said that they do have eyes, just under their hair.

14. .Aerodactyl.

No, they aren't the first. Staryu and Starmie are eyeless and faceless Pokémon.

15. Aleh

Aleh «Last Hope»

Both good points, and even if we don't count the fact their evolutions do have eyes, they still have mouths, while this UB doesn't have any clear face feature which even pokemon based on inanimate objects have had thus far. Maybe since it is said to be able to change its shape, if it later gets revealed to be a pokemon, it could look different and gain eyes or something to make it look more normal.

Edit: I also thought the gems of Staryu and Starmie were supposed to represent an eye but yours is a valid point, mine was just an observation after all

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  16. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

Wait is this true? Are people in Japan shading pokemon for stealing ideas? Are they getting negative PR because of this?

17. .Aerodactyl.

I don't think so. They aren't shown to "close" their gem or even change with the sleep status. Plus, as insensitive Ash noted in the first anime "How can you tell it's hurt if it doesn't have a face?" When battling Misty.

Also going by the official info, it's gem seems to be its core. Like a real starfish, it can grow back it's limbs. The core is said to glow fainter when it's weak... definitely don't think it's an eye or even an eye equivalent.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Yo-Kai watch copied Pokémon first, and to a much larger extent, then the other way around. I mean, Yo-Kai watch is just a spin on the Pokémon model. It's closer to the Japanese heritage, thus it's popularity in Japan. It hasn't taken off in North America quite as well. Yo-Kai watch is literally rubbing around coaching little monsters, evolving and training them and making a team of six to battle and defeat other Yo-Kai. You're a ten yearish old child running around collecting them all and befriending them.

And a following companion is hardly indicative of Yo-Kai watch alone. Pikachu was following long bearenbin yellow,and then in heart gold soul silver we had following companions. And as someone said before, boss battles like that aren't really exclusive or new either. I won't deny that it has elements of similarity, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they had "no interest" in the elemenrs before. For starters, we don't quite know what Ultra Beasts are and how they will function, and secondly, Pokémon has always had boss battles in the form of legendary fights, or Snorlax encounter, ghost marrowak, etc. They were just always catchable, if you put the effort in. That's really a negligible difference, especially since we don't know if these Ultra Beasts will end up being catchable or if we can battle them. Mystery dungeon games also have battles without "captures".

18. Aleh

Aleh «Last Hope»

Maybe that's not an eye but since some of us thought it was, it at least means it can look like one, if you imagine Staryu and Starmie without their core it sure gives off a whole different effect no?
    And something just hit me, anyone remembers this?
    [​IMG]
    We never had something that fits this description, and while UB-01 doesn't look too much like a man, it is at least humanoid, perhaps if all UB's share the faceless design and indeed aren't pokemon... I don't know, but it always felt weird how that scary house in XY seemingly had no purpose, maybe it was a nod to SM like the backpacker from Alola? Wild speculation here, lol.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone ^ where it all began

It sounds to me like there is a strong Synthetic Pokemon theme happening in Sun & Moon (Magearna & Type Null) so perhaps Ultra Beasts are an extenuation of this idea -- perhaps they were created by people (probably Skull) with super powerful stats/abilities/attacks but lacking any soul or emotions like normal Pokemon?

20. JVLightningLover

JVLightningLover Veteran Trainer

I don't think Team Skull has the knowledge or resources to make Ultra Beasts. Aether, on the other hand...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.