• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Then it doesn't go anywhere. The entire plot of the game becomes meaningless just because of that.

You're reading too far into it. It's not that deep, fam.

I don't really see how you can jump from what I said to "meaningless! Everything is meaningless! meaningless forever!" You sound like the German Black Romanticists.

»Jesus! haben wir keine Pokemon?« – Und er antwortete mit strömenden Tränen: »Wir sind alle Pokemonloss, ich und ihr, wir sind ohne Pokemon.«

In this current debate in personally on the side of "it depends entirely", mainly because I have a theory that I've already explained in this thread that requires them to either be:
a) betas of the true UBs
b) uncapturable

I'm currently wavering towards A, considering that it wouldn mean my theory would also answer the question of who Lillie is referring to in the demo when she says:
"I wish I could share it with you."

Just my take on this.

Orphalesion

I just mostly took that to heart cause do have a hybrid kind of feel.

In several languages, including Italian (afiak) Chimera can also describe something that's not real, a phantasm, a mirage. It doesn't necessarily always mean the same thing we understand under a "chimera".

Plus a lot of translations just follow the "rule of cool", using whatever sounds good in their language, with out paying too much heed to the original meaning.

Sulfurian

Remember when the website doesn't list them as Pokemon, therefor not being catchable? GF likes to play mind games.

Ver-mont

Remember when the website doesn't list them as Pokemon, therefor not being catchable? GF likes to play mind games.

You mean the official website?

But they're surrounded in mystery. Listing them as Pokémon or catchable would go against that.

Confusious

Kimetsu no Yaiba. <3
For me i don't mind if the ultra beasts can be captured or not. Either way is fine by me my only problem is at the moment is that there's 2 UB-02 and no explanation yet as to why(i know they are version exclusives but that still doesn't explain why they are both UB-02 yet). While i'm sure an explanation will come in game for right now it just seems odd.

In more positive light guessing their typing (if they have them) should be fun. My prediction at the moment is UB-01- Normal, Absorption- Fighting/Bug & Beauty- Psychic/Bug. But as I say these are based on very little and a big assumption they will even have types.
Your problem hinges on Gamefreak teasing you something but not telling you? I fail to see how that's a problem. That is smart marketing. You want to build up hype and make people wonder. Where is the fun if they just come out, a month before the game comes out, and says "this is what UltraBeasts are". I think it's something that will be explained in traditional Pokemon hand holding fashion, in game.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
GameFreak confirmed that they're catchable in a recent article, so...

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, being pokemon from another world/dimension doesn't stop the fact that they are seemingly hostilely invading the alola region
Giratina syndrome. All we need is a block of ice around him, lol!

Then it doesn't go anywhere. The entire plot of the game becomes meaningless just because of that.

You're reading too far into it. It's not that deep, fam.
Question: What is the entire plot of the game?

I don't really see how you can jump from what I said to "meaningless! Everything is meaningless! meaningless forever!" You sound like the German Black Romanticists.

»Jesus! haben wir keine Pokemon?« – Und er antwortete mit strömenden Tränen: »Wir sind alle Pokemonloss, ich und ihr, wir sind ohne Pokemon.«
Das licht ist gut, aber böse ist nicht gut.

Confusious

Kimetsu no Yaiba. <3
I really don't understand all the talk that they're not Pokemon, and that they're likely humans because some of the designs look like people.

I don't see the comparisons myself. To me, they look like strange Pokemon, but Pokemon nonetheless.

Sakuraba

»Jesus! haben wir keine Pokemon?« – Und er antwortete mit strömenden Tränen: »Wir sind alle Pokemonloss, ich und ihr, wir sind ohne Pokemown.«

Moving goalposts.

I swear.... If UBs are just weird pokemon "from another world" (which lets not mention how many sharks we are jumping here.) then why not just say they are legendary? Their role in the game ends up being the same, so it has no difference. Why go through that unnecessary extra step just to be a hipster and different? It is something made to just "be different" which ends up not being different at all. If we can catch them, we can battle with them and trade with them. At that point they are just pokemon and all the ******** they said and showed is irrelevant.

If they are just pokemon, then Silvally was a waste. "They are just Pokémon. Let's catch them and be done with it." No need to RECREATE ****ING GOD. If they are just pokemon, why is there a special ball? Why take away the strategies you created to catch regular Pokémon? There are so many ifs in this whole convoluted shitstorm that are the UBs and all, if not most of them will not even be a problem if they are just bosses.

R_N

Moving goalposts.

I swear.... If UBs are just weird pokemon "from another world" (which lets not mention how many sharks we are jumping here.) then why not just say they are legendary? Their role in the game ends up being the same, so it has no difference. Why go through that unnecessary extra step just to be a hipster and different? It is something made to just "be different" which ends up not being different at all. If we can catch them, we can battle with them and trade with them. At that point they are just pokemon and all the ******** they said and showed is irrelevant.

If they are just pokemon, then Silvally was a waste. "They are just Pokémon. Let's catch them and be done with it." No need to RECREATE ****ING GOD. If they are just pokemon, why is there a special ball? Why take away the strategies you created to catch regular Pokémon? There are so many ifs in this whole convoluted shitstorm that are the UBs and all, if not most of them will not even be a problem if they are just bosses.

ultra beasts start attacking alola for reasons unknown
whoa what the heck are these things, we have no idea, lets denote them as Ultra Beasts
assorted people pose the question: are these pokemon
[many, many encounters later] check out their origin story, pokemon from another world, attacking us for <probably a sympathetic reason>
beat up their leader, extend peace branch, now we can catch them in the post game because game mechanics and bonds and blah blah bla h

also are we really going to pretend that, in-universe, all pokemon are considered equal to the point of saying that "just catch them" is a valid thing because like its a thing we do, but the rest don't. Otherwise people would probably just catch the tapus any time they just show up, or we wouldn't bother with the grandstanding of awakening the RSE legends but not throw a pokeball. Team Rocket just let Mewtwo alone (or, depending on whose interpretations you follow, were trying to get hte master ball specifically for it) rather than just catch it like you do.
Reshiram & Zekrom seemingly (??) can't be caught other than those they chose
A few of Ghetsis' problems probably could have been solved if he just caught Kyurem and used it that way

Sakuraba

ultra beasts start attacking alola for reasons unknown
whoa what the heck are these things, we have no idea, lets denote them as Ultra Beasts
assorted people pose the question: are these pokemon
[many, many encounters later] check out their origin story, pokemon from another world, attacking us for <probably a sympathetic reason>
beat up their leader, extend peace branch, now we can catch them in the post game because game mechanics and bonds and blah blah bla h

also are we really going to pretend that, in-universe, all pokemon are considered equal to the point of saying that "just catch them" is a valid thing because like its a thing we do, but the rest don't. Otherwise people would probably just catch the tapus any time they just show up, or we wouldn't bother with the grandstanding of awakening the RSE legends but not throw a pokeball. Team Rocket just let Mewtwo alone (or, depending on whose interpretations you follow, were trying to get hte master ball specifically for it) rather than just catch it like you do.
Reshiram & Zekrom seemingly (??) can't be caught other than those they chose
A few of Ghetsis' problems probably could have been solved if he just caught Kyurem and used it that way

And the whole conflict doesn't go anywhere.

YES! That's what the player character does every single time. If NPCs don't do it because they are stupid or because the players needs to do something is another story.

R_N

How doesn't it?

They're attacking for some reason. That's the conflict. Over the course of the game you build a picture of what's going on, what they really are and probably help resolve the conflict thanks to the reveal that despite their differences, they're not so different.

YES! That's what the player character does every single time. If NPCs don't do it because they are stupid or because the players needs to do something is another story.
Yes it is what the player does. And only the player ( & N, but that's a different kettle of fish).
But no one else does. It's always some vague "control" (control with ...technology, i guess; control with orbs; control with a chain; control through the weird guy; control through technology again; beetles) and how it makes the player ~special~

This is why
They are just Pokémon. Let's catch them and be done with it
isn't an option, because the story either pushes us as special or carefully ignores why no one else could so you can get them anyway (because game mechanics)

I mean shoot Silvally wasn't even made for ultra beasts. Type Null's description even specifies legendary pokemon. So even separated from ultra beasts that story beat of "we can't just catch them" is there.

yefluke

Dizzy Trainer
Deoxy actually came from space,
Dialga Palkia Giratina and Arceus are catchable...

so I woudn't be surprise if we can catch UBs...

Aetius

Why not? I don't really see what the problem with using them in battle would be.
We are allowed to use things like the creation trio and Arceus, who rule over timespace and seemingly created the universe.
As for how humanoid some of them look that's really nothing new, we have had Machamp since gen I, and pokémon like Yamask and Phantump were claimed to be straight-up human in the past.

If that will be the case, then fine, I won't care that much honestly, as I can always not use them.
It's just that these creatures are described as a threat and thus considered powerful existences (except for UB-01 if its blurb is of any indication).
Long story short, if we will be able to put them on our team, then the VGC 2017 will be a living nightmare for all those who take part in it, as literally everyone will have at least one..
Besides what kind of ability would they be given? And the Moves? Typings?

Orphalesion

Dear, only because you can't think of a way to make a (possible) story line where UB turn out to be Pokemon worthwhile, doesn't mean GF can't (though given their past "storylines" in main stream Pokemon games they might not).

I can understand not wanting the UB to be just Pokemon, I would be happier if the UB were not Pokemon, but it seems to me they might be, given what we know and probably will be catch-able. But flat out saying that it is impossible to turn something into a good story is a statement that is very rarely right. Even Twilight might have been entertaining if it hadn't been written by a total moron.

Guys, I was rewatching the trailers for the Ultra Beasts on YouTube this morning, and I noticed something interesting.

The Ultra Beasts do not have Pokemon cries. Every Pokemon before them and currently after them, even Arceus, has had a Pokemon cry.

Thoughts as to why?

Orphalesion

Guys, I was rewatching the trailers for the Ultra Beasts on YouTube this morning, and I noticed something interesting.

The Ultra Beasts do not have Pokemon cries. Every Pokemon before them and currently after them, even Arceus, has had a Pokemon cry.

Thoughts as to why?

Interesting, what other sound do they make when they appear? Or do they not make a sound at all? (I don't watch trailers)

Well two possibilities are 1) they edited it out 2) it's part of their "otherness"

Interesting, what other sound do they make when they appear? Or do they not make a sound at all? (I don't watch trailers)

Well two possibilities are 1) they edited it out 2) it's part of their "otherness"

Usually in the trailers they show the official art of the Pokemon, its name, then they play its cry. Always been like that. But with ultra beasts it was official art, name, then... silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.