• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game2016

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Pretty much yeah. But it will take considerable time until GF returns to that aspect of Dark-type.

I mean, it took until Gen VII to take Psychic's connection to space seriously.
I think it's pretty obvious that Psychic is associated with space during Gen V. You can even argue that it went as far back as Gen III with Deoxys, Solrock, and Lunatone.

I still retain my stance that Dark-types also include the concept of darkness and even fear, with Umbreon and Darkrai (inducing nightmares) being examples.

Orphalesion

I think the more vague Pokemon types are very much defined by the way they fight;

Take the Fairy type, there are endless discussions on here about how people want fairy types based on a Minotaur, Dullahan or even a Direwolf because those creatures are "mythological"(which isn't even the case with the Direwolf) and because Irish Mythology calls everything supernatural a "fairy" and forget that said Minotaur/Dullahan/Direwolf would then be attacking their enemy with glitter, moonlight and magical jewels.

Fairy type isn't the type of all mythological beings, it's the type of stuff that attacks its enemies with glitter, moonlight, magical jewels and allure, that's why the type can contain a majestic protector of life in the shape of a deer, a living cream puff and a...blue mouse at the same time.

Fighting type doesn't apply to every Pokemon that fights, but they are Pokemon that excel in martial arts.

And it's similar with the Dark/Evil type, not all Pokemon that are dark or scary are part of it, because it's not the type of Darkness or Fright, it's the type that fights it's enemies employing dirty tricks and foul play. It's the "dirty fighter" type.
That's why I think a Dark type gym leader is perfectly possible in the future, just have them be a social Darwinist or something.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Got a question. Are Ultra Beasts regarded as Legendaries or not? I'm still trying to make a good in-game team, and was thinking to add a UB Pokémon to the lineup, but I don't want to put any Legendaries in my first run.

They're considered legendaries (or rather, sub-legendaries) in the data.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
They're considered legendaries (or rather, sub-legendaries) in the data.

I'm glad that it's confirmed that the Ultra Beasts are in fact legendary pokemon and not just a new species of creature. I like that they're from a different dimension as well, although I wish that they could all be found in one game instead of some being version exclusives. ^^;

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Well if they count as "legendaries" and the Tapus do as well, then technically this region beat Unova in having the most Legends introduced
Cause there are seven Ultra Beasts alone, then you have the Sun/Moon trio, the four Tapus, and Magearna and Marshadow

Game2016

I think the more vague Pokemon types are very much defined by the way they fight;

Take the Fairy type, there are endless discussions on here about how people want fairy types based on a Minotaur, Dullahan or even a Direwolf because those creatures are "mythological"(which isn't even the case with the Direwolf) and because Irish Mythology calls everything supernatural a "fairy" and forget that said Minotaur/Dullahan/Direwolf would then be attacking their enemy with glitter, moonlight and magical jewels.

Fairy type isn't the type of all mythological beings, it's the type of stuff that attacks its enemies with glitter, moonlight, magical jewels and allure, that's why the type can contain a majestic protector of life in the shape of a deer, a living cream puff and a...blue mouse at the same time.

Fighting type doesn't apply to every Pokemon that fights, but they are Pokemon that excel in martial arts.

And it's similar with the Dark/Evil type, not all Pokemon that are dark or scary are part of it, because it's not the type of Darkness or Fright, it's the type that fights it's enemies employing dirty tricks and foul play. It's the "dirty fighter" type.
That's why I think a Dark type gym leader is perfectly possible in the future, just have them be a social Darwinist or something.
Some Fighting-types don't really look like they excel at martial arts. Bewear looks more like it swings around its arms wildly, and Scrafty looks like a street brawler.

Again, I retain my stance that certain Dark-types are associated with darkness and fear, using examples I've already brought up here.

And since Kahunas are more or less gym leader equivalents, Nanu is the closest we have to a Dark-type gym leader.

iggy the skorupi

So this may be a little spoliery to the story, but the games are already out so I don't feel that bad. But it looks like the reason why some of the UB's look like characters is actually because Lusamine was obsessed with them and looks to have forcibly dressed Lille to look like UB-01, and presumably herself like UB-02 beauty.

In my opinion, some of the UB designs are better then most regular Pokemon. Guzzlord is a monster that comes from the darkest of nightmares, and I love having it on my team.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Guzzlord looks like something Doctor Eggman would make.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what each of the Ultra Beasts are based off. So far this is what I got
* UB-01 Symbiote/Nihilego-A jellyfish, duh
* UB-02 Absorption/Buzzwole-A mosquito
* UB-02 Beauty/Pheromosa-Copepod and seduction
* UB-03 Lighting/Xurkitree-Some kind of electric wiring
* UB-04 Blaster/Celesteela-Some rocket of sorts
* UB-04 Blade/Kartana-Origami
* UB-05 Glutton/Guzzlord-...I have no idea

Game2016

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what each of the Ultra Beasts are based off. So far this is what I got
As mentioned before here, Celesteela is based on Princess Kaguya from the story Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. Its rocket-like design is inspired by the real-life Japanese space shuttle, also called Kaguya.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Also seen that they could be made in reference of the seven deadly sins, which I can get behind.

Nihilego: Envy, Nihilego is a parasite, taking control of it's victims, this can relate to envy in the sense Nihilego is envious of it's victims and pretends to be them.
Buzzwole: Pride, Buzzwole is constantly described as boasting it's musculature and strength, taking pride in itself.
Pheromosa: Lust, Pheromosa is said to attract Pokemon regardless of their gender, making other Pokemon lust after it, but dumbed down for the PG.
Xurkitree: Greed, it's moon dex entry says it raided a power plant resulting in people thinking it energizes itself with electricity, so it's greedy for electricity.
Celesteela: Wrath, it's moon dex entry says it was witnessed burning down an entire forest by expelling gas from it's arms, expelling wrath on the land.
Kartana: Sloth, it's sun dex entry says it doesn't attack on it's own but it's sharp body acts as a weapon, it doesn't care to attack so it's lazy in that sense, since it's sharp body will do the job.
Guzzlord: Glutton, the most obvious one, it's UB name even gives it to us! UB-Glutton. It's dex entries say it eats anything and everything and doesn't even leave waste behind.

Darthleapyous

Also seen that they could be made in reference of the seven deadly sins, which I can get behind.

Nihilego: Envy, Nihilego is a parasite, taking control of it's victims, this can relate to envy in the sense Nihilego is envious of it's victims and pretends to be them.
Buzzwole: Pride, Buzzwole is constantly described as boasting it's musculature and strength, taking pride in itself.
Pheromosa: Lust, Pheromosa is said to attract Pokemon regardless of their gender, making other Pokemon lust after it, but dumbed down for the PG.
Xurkitree: Greed, it's moon dex entry says it raided a power plant resulting in people thinking it energizes itself with electricity, so it's greedy for electricity.
Celesteela: Wrath, it's moon dex entry says it was witnessed burning down an entire forest by expelling gas from it's arms, expelling wrath on the land.
Kartana: Sloth, it's sun dex entry says it doesn't attack on it's own but it's sharp body acts as a weapon, it doesn't care to attack so it's lazy in that sense, since it's sharp body will do the job.
Guzzlord: Glutton, the most obvious one, it's UB name even gives it to us! UB-Glutton. It's dex entries say it eats anything and everything and doesn't even leave waste behind.

Whoa that makes total sense now!

cl94

Having gotten through the main story, I agree.
Lusamine is possessed by Nihilego and only returns to normal once released.

DemonSpawn

Question about UB-01 in the story:
Has anyone fainted UB-01 during the first encounter at Aether Foundation, and then been able to catch it later? Going by YouTube, it seems to just flee for most people, but in either case the subsequent cutscene (where UB-01 disappears and Lusamine says she still needs it) is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.