• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Alright, from what I understand:
* Nihilego is a parasite and jellyfish made of glass
* Buzzwole is a mosquito embodying raw strength
* Pheromosa is a seductress based off a copepod
* Xurkitree is a literal tree of circuits
* Celesteela is a bamboo rocket based off Princess Kagyua
* Kartana is living origami
* Guzzlord is basically a living black hole

Is there any theme they all share asides from possibly being the seven deadly sins?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The better answer for Greek Moon goddess would actually be Selene. Artemis is associated with the Moon, but Selene is the explicit Moon deity. From the name Selene, the Romans derived the name for their Moon goddess, Luna. The term Luna is still used today for Moon terms.

Ah, that must be why the original English dub for Sailor Moon renamed Usagi as Serena. (I wonder if there are any other pun names I had missed when I was younger.)

I also looked it up, and there has only ever been one spacecraft named Selene, which was built by JAXA (Japan's space program) and has since ended its mission by crashing into the Moon.

Aetius

Is there any theme they all share asides from possibly being the seven deadly sins?

I can't really see the relation between them and the Seven Deadly Sins, so if I have to find another one, I'd say that the planets of the solar system are perfect candidates.

Pheromosa-Venus
Buzzwole-Jupiter
Celesteela-Saturn
Xurkytree-Uranus
Nihilego-Neptune
Kartana-Mercury
Guzzlord-Pluto
Necrozma-Mars

Necrozma is said to be a UB and Marshadow would be just a reference to a phenomenon related to Mars and not the planet itself.

WildHennaCharizard

Pheromosa I can see as being the deadly sin of Lust. The way dex entries say she gives off phormes and can make anybody fall for her; makes me think so.
Guzzlord is Gluttony heck it's mission name says it.
Buzzwole can either be pride or wrath

as for the others I not sure.

XXD17

Draco rex

I think pheromoso is actually a cockroach...there's nothing aquatic about it...

Missingno.Fan

I've been kind of out of the loop here, but was it ever revealed why many of the UB's resembled human characters from the games? Like how Nihilego looks like Lillie and Xurkitree looks like Guzma. Was it just a coincidence or did I miss something?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I've been kind of out of the loop here, but was it ever revealed why many of the UB's resembled human characters from the games? Like how Nihilego looks like Lillie and Xurkitree looks like Guzma. Was it just a coincidence or did I miss something?
It's assumed that Lusamine dressed up Lillie like Nihilego because of her Ultra Beast obsession.

But the Guzma thing is probably a coincidence.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Celesteela's design forst confused me too. First seeing it in Corocoro I thought it was inspired by viral particles with capsules and prong ends. But it's typing and design make more sense now with that story in mind.

Lunala's actual design inspiration hit me in the face the other day when I saw it in a museum- of course it's actual shape has been inspired by a Lunula. I was focusing way to much on deity inspirations for it and bats instead of appreciating it's shape.

BlitzGirl41

Celesteela's design forst confused me too. First seeing it in Corocoro I thought it was inspired by viral particles with capsules and prong ends. But it's typing and design make more sense now with that story in mind.

Lunala's actual design inspiration hit me in the face the other day when I saw it in a museum- of course it's actual shape has been inspired by a Lunula. I was focusing way to much on deity inspirations for it and bats instead of appreciating it's shape.

Great find about Lunala! Even the names are similar.

Orphalesion

The better answer for Greek Moon goddess would actually be Selene. Artemis is associated with the Moon, but Selene is the explicit Moon deity. From the name Selene, the Romans derived the name for their Moon goddess, Luna. The term Luna is still used today for Moon terms.

Well depends on which era and what part of Ancient Greece we are talking about. Selene and Helios were the most common original deities on the moon, and in at least one place Helios was held higher than Zeus. But by the Hellenistic era Apollon (Apollo is the Roman spelling) and Artemis had replaced Selene and Helios at several places, that was of course a time when the greeks had already discovered that the Sun and Moon were things in space rather than chariots driven by gods...

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Anyone know the reason why the Ultra Beasts' BST were made prime numbers for each stat?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Anyone know the reason why the Ultra Beasts' BST were made prime numbers for each stat?

Most likely to emphasize their alienness and weirdness. Most Pokémon have base stats in multiples of 5 in at least a few stats, if not all of them.

In addition, all of the Ultra Beasts learn attacks at levels that are prime numbers, with the exception of 1. The Cosmog line and Necrozma are like this too.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Most likely to emphasize their alienness and weirdness. Most Pokémon have base stats in multiples of 5 in at least a few stats, if not all of them.

In addition, all of the Ultra Beasts learn attacks at levels that are prime numbers, with the exception of 1. The Cosmog line and Necrozma are like this too.

Well the Cosmog line is technically a type of Ultra Beast, given they come from Ultra Space. Necrozma having this quirk in addition to its lore comparing it to the Ultra Beasts further fuels my belief that it is an important UB in some capacity

Aielyn

Just speculating a bit here, but what about celestial objects, etc?

Nihilego - Nebula
Buzzwole - Red Giant?
Pheromosa - Comet
Xurkitree - Constellation
Celesteela - Spaceship
Kartana - Meteor Shower
Guzzlord - Black Hole

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Something I'm wondering about, largely pertaining to Ultra Space.

Do we know if these are the ONLY Ultra Beasts that exist in Ultra Space, or if there are many many more beyond just the nine or so we know about now?

Could other pokemon possibly have originated from Ultra Space?

Also a little astray, but do we know if the capture of Necrozma or the other worlds Cosmog is considered "canon" to Sun and Moon?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Do we know if these are the ONLY Ultra Beasts that exist in Ultra Space, or if there are many many more beyond just the nine or so we know about now?

The answer is likely that others exist. It seems unlikely that they would tie their own hands and make it impossible for them make new ones in the future, even if they don't have such plans now. It's pretty much a rule of thumb that if it's not explicitly stated that there aren't more and there's no reason to believe that there won't be more, that there could be at a later time.

Also a little astray, but do we know if the capture of Necrozma or the other worlds Cosmog is considered "canon" to Sun and Moon?

That's an interesting question that can't really be answered. However, if we get a sequel game to Sun and Moon that focuses around Necrozma, then it would be likely that Necrozma being caught is "non-canon." Don't know about the Cosmog though.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan

Probably no for both, since Necrozma will most likely play a role in Sun/Moon sequels (if confirmed) and the other world's Cosmog has no consequence to the post-game story whatsoever.

On the sequel thing, I just had an idea on what the plot may be. The UBs that we caught in Sun/Moon 's post-game are freed by Necrozma (which appears in Sun/Moon only if you have caught all other UBs) and plot to destroy Alola and the world. Necrozma is revealed to be the UBs true leader and Solgaleo/Lunala are confirmed to be UBs but are hated by Necrozma because they disagree with it, thanks to their experiences in Sun/Moon's main plot. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
I like how the only reliable way to deal with Pheromosa is priority or fat mons. U-turn is a godsend.

Akashin

We have absolutely no way of knowing for sure, but it seems a safe bet that there are more Ultra Beasts than what we've seen.

If by other Pokemon you mean other known Pokemon than no, it's probable that the Ultra Beasts, Necrozma and the Cosmog line are the only known denizens of Ultra Space.

As a general rule things like that are non-canon, which is why we have things like Mewtwo still being in Cerulean Cave in HGSS and later Kalos' Unknown Dungeon, or Kyurem still being in the Giant Chasm to be made a part of B2W2's plot.

On the sequel thing, I just had an idea on what the plot may be. The UBs that we caught in Sun/Moon 's post-game are freed by Necrozma (which appears in Sun/Moon only if you have caught all other UBs) and plot to destroy Alola and the world. Necrozma is revealed to be the UBs true leader and Solgaleo/Lunala are confirmed to be UBs but are hated by Necrozma because they disagree with it, thanks to their experiences in Sun/Moon's main plot. What do you guys think?

In a general sense I like the idea of a Pokemon in and of itself being the main antagonist, but I'm not wholly sure this idea would work. For one, it's pretty safe to say that the Ultra Beasts aren't inherently evil; their destructive attitude seems more likely to be them essentially lashing out at a world that's foreign to them. It doesn't help that the only driving instinct we've seen them have is the desire to get back home. I'm not so sure that's what caused Necrozma to come out, though.

Last edited:

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
In a general sense I like the idea of a Pokemon in and of itself being the main antagonist, but I'm not wholly sure this idea would work. For one, it's pretty safe to say that the Ultra Beasts aren't inherently evil; their destructive attitude seems more likely to be them essentially lashing out at a world that's foreign to them. It doesn't help that the only driving instinct we've seen them have is the desire to get back home. I'm not so sure that's what caused Necrozma to come out, though.

It is a bit suspicious that Necrozma got out of hiding after we catch all the other UBs though. I mean, this thing was asleep underground for who knows how much time and it got awakened in the present after we have caught the other UBs. There's something up, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.