• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashin

It is a bit suspicious that Necrozma got out of hiding after we catch all the other UBs though. I mean, this thing was asleep underground for who knows how much time and it got awakened in the present after we have caught the other UBs. There's something up, that's for sure.

For all we know, it's a simple matter of Necrozma having gone to sleep after getting stranded outside of Ultra Space and awakening in response to sensing a means of returning home (be it mistakenly sensing you or Anabel as Fallers, or maybe even sensing Nebby). That's something that will likely be explored regardless of what their future plans for Necrozma are.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm wondering if GF made the typing strange as a way to say that UBs are strange creatures that don't exactly play by standard Pokemon 'rules' because while I can justify the Poison typing of Nihilego, I can't for Rock.

Yea I think that some of the Ultra Beasts like Nihilego and a couple of others may have weird type combinations due to them being more alien-like. I like how all the Ultra Beasts originated from another dimension however cuz it's really intriguing. I like the whole concept of Ultra Space too since I like extraterrestrial notions. :3

BuddyAmazing

Has anyone noticed in the pokedex entries for the ultra beasts the sun ones usually talk about their abilties and powers and the moon ones talk about how they caused destruction idk but I thought that was unique.

Aetius

You know, right now what I'm curious about are not the UBs themselves, but the universe they live in: the Ultra Space.
How did it form for example, when Arceus was born in the universes(s) of the Pokèmon world?
Could it be that the Z-power gave birth to the Ultra Space and then made its way to the universes we know of?
That would mean that the Cosmic Egg from which Arceus was born, was nothing than the materialized form of this power...
What do you thinK?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
You know, right now what I'm curious about are not the UBs themselves, but the universe they live in: the Ultra Space.
How did it form for example, when Arceus was born in the universes(s) of the Pokèmon world?
Could it be that the Z-power gave birth to the Ultra Space and then made its way to the universes we know of?
That would mean that the Cosmic Egg from which Arceus was born, was nothing than the materialized form of this power...
What do you thinK?

I think they'll tie the real world, distortion world, and ultra space altogether with this. Like they may say there are alternative universes, with ultra space being the space between, and then the distortion world is what is under all the worlds keeping them together (if that makes any sense). Anyways thats what I think will happen. I have a huge feeling we will see additions to the UB's in the future which only gets me excited!! I love that they are violent and probably killed a lot of people before the guardians stepped up.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Interesting viewpoints... I'm gonna look at it from gameplay for now.

It's the case of Zygarde, where there's this legendary pokemon that a normal player is more likely to stumble upon on accident without knowing much about them, and then that pokemons backstory is extended to the pokedex, maybe some NPC comments, and that's it. Heck, Zygarde is probably more developed in S/M than X/Y.

...basically, on one hand, the existence of Necrozma and Alternate World Cosmog could simply exist to give you pokemon, giving you two legendary pokemon who don't have anymore backstory than that. Probably expanded more in the anime if we really wanna copy Zygarde.

On the other hand, we follow the Kyurem route. We have them now, but Necrozma is the "mascot" of possible S2/M2, somehow being exploited by some sinister Aether Foundation. Cosmog would then exist to give Sun players Lunala and vice versa, think N giving you Zekrom in B2 and vice versa, and going in-depth to the Alternate World thing that S/M is giving you to manipulate daylight.

...thinking about it, these games are keeping themselves so open to a sequel that we will probably be disappointed if there isn't one. I mean, who the bloody hell is Ryuki and why do I care about him challenging my title? I am so late in realizing this aren't I...?
Uh oh... brain gears are in overdrive...

On the sequel thing, I just had an idea on what the plot may be. The UBs that we caught in Sun/Moon 's post-game are freed by Necrozma (which appears in Sun/Moon only if you have caught all other UBs) and plot to destroy Alola and the world. Necrozma is revealed to be the UBs true leader and Solgaleo/Lunala are confirmed to be UBs but are hated by Necrozma because they disagree with it, thanks to their experiences in Sun/Moon's main plot. What do you guys think?

I feel like it's more possible that it'll be humanities fault that another Ultra Wormhole opens and brings out even more Ultra Beasts. The S/M hero will probably disappear like the B/W hero pretty much did, the Ultra Beasts they caught disappearing with them.

I... have some things I need to explain. I'll keep it in a spoiler in case you don't care.

It starts with the following thought: why is it that these legendary pokemon are considered to be so powerful, and yet a 10 year old is able to just come along and potentially knock them out, or worse capture them forever?

The pokemon being caught isn't actually the legendary pokemon themself, it's a sort of what I call "remnant". A carbon copy if you will, having many of the same abilities and physical appearance of the legendary they copy, but they don't posses the same massive power that the original possess, only a fraction. An escape mechanism that all Legendary Pokemon have to escape being captured, and why some legendaries can be found in multiple games. They may as well be regular ol pokemon. I like to think that the reason so many legendary pokemon are in OR/AS is because Hoopa pulled a sick prank of sorts that almost resulted in the capture of the actual legendaries.

But Ultra Beasts are different. Solgaleo and Lunala both evolve from Cosmog and Cosmoem, and are considered the "male/female evolution" respectively. We have that in our regular pokemon, cases such as Froslass and Gallade being gender specific evolutions. We can also find multiple Cosmog in the same game, them being Nebby and the Lake of the Sunne/Moone Cosmog. We see 5 Nihilego in the same room at once, not counting the one that Lusamine caught, and I highly doubt the one we are able to catch happened to be the exact same Nihilego present at that time. We see multiple of all the Ultra Beasts other than Guzzlord, and their catch rates are very similar to some of our regular pokemon. I mean, Pheromosa and Kartana have the catch rate of a Pidgey.

I think the Ultra Beasts are misunderstood, but not on a weird Lusamine level. I think they are literally just normal pokemon, but normal to the standards of another world. In our world, they are close to the level of gods that required we create a chimera to combat them, but in the other world they are as plentiful as our Pidgeys and Pikachus. Hell, they probably even have pre-evolutions or could even evolve further than their current form.

But we, who operate on completely different rules than the rules of Ultra Space, cannot see that. We can't see their gender, their evolution families, their true abilities, any of that. The rules they worked by are different in our world, so they can't access their true powers. It's a miracle Cosmog was able to exist the way it did at all. We are trying to access the power of another world, when really the power of another world is no different from our world as long as the rules aren't being bent, which they may very well be just by the existence of these 7 Ultra Beasts in our world.

Makes me wonder, would our own pokemon, Lucario, Charizard, Hydregion, all them... would they be considered Ultra Beasts in their world? How would their stats vary from the original?

Oh, but then Necrozma. It's probably the Arceus of Ultra Space, if anything. Or better yet, it's the "Light" version of a Legendary Duo that's been lost in our world. It isn't even that high as a god, but in our world it is on the level of our gods. And the big question for me, have WE lost a pokemon to being stuck in the Ultra Space?

In summary aka tl;dr, Ultra Beasts are normal pokemon, but their powers are completely out of whack in our world. Also some nonsense about our Legendary Pokemon. Ironically, Pheromosa and Kartana are probably the early game bug and grass types of the Ultra Space. Considering they are arguably the strongest Ultra Beasts... what a cruel twist of fate.

I wonder how late I am to the party of knowing this? I expect no less than 3 "Yeah, we knew that before the game was released" responses.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
The Ultra Beasts aren't going anywhere. They're here to stay as they have national dex numbers and everything. My real question is how they will be handled in future games; I would personally love to see the UBs and Ultra Space expanded on as I think it's really interesting and has a ton of potential. I mentioned it before, but I questioned these Pokémon before the games came out, now I'm happy to welcome them.

I might go as far as to say the UBs are one of my favourite aspects of gen 7 now. The fact that they're so bizarre is part of their appeal to me. I like their story in the post game, but part of me wanted to see more of them in the game; fight them as bosses or something and then catch them in post game. That would have been cool.

Also, I love the UBs in Pokémon Refresh. I find it funny how these creatures that are stated to be highly dangerous are real sweethearts in Refresh. I can't help but find it adorable; they actually show a bit of personality there and that is awesome to me.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I think it's the other way around, that the access of Ultra Space from Alola is why Z-Powers can be used there.

It starts with the following thought: why is it that these legendary pokemon are considered to be so powerful, and yet a 10 year old is able to just come along and potentially knock them out, or worse capture them forever?

The pokemon being caught isn't actually the legendary pokemon themself, it's a sort of what I call "remnant". A carbon copy if you will, having many of the same abilities and physical appearance of the legendary they copy, but they don't posses the same massive power that the original possess, only a fraction. An escape mechanism that all Legendary Pokemon have to escape being captured, and why some legendaries can be found in multiple games. They may as well be regular ol pokemon. I like to think that the reason so many legendary pokemon are in OR/AS is because Hoopa pulled a sick prank of sorts that almost resulted in the capture of the actual legendaries.

But Ultra Beasts are different. Solgaleo and Lunala both evolve from Cosmog and Cosmoem, and are considered the "male/female evolution" respectively. We have that in our regular pokemon, cases such as Froslass and Gallade being gender specific evolutions. We can also find multiple Cosmog in the same game, them being Nebby and the Lake of the Sunne/Moone Cosmog. We see 5 Nihilego in the same room at once, not counting the one that Lusamine caught, and I highly doubt the one we are able to catch happened to be the exact same Nihilego present at that time. We see multiple of all the Ultra Beasts other than Guzzlord, and their catch rates are very similar to some of our regular pokemon. I mean, Pheromosa and Kartana have the catch rate of a Pidgey.

I think the Ultra Beasts are misunderstood, but not on a weird Lusamine level. I think they are literally just normal pokemon, but normal to the standards of another world. In our world, they are close to the level of gods that required we create a chimera to combat them, but in the other world they are as plentiful as our Pidgeys and Pikachus. Hell, they probably even have pre-evolutions or could even evolve further than their current form.

But we, who operate on completely different rules than the rules of Ultra Space, cannot see that. We can't see their gender, their evolution families, their true abilities, any of that. The rules they worked by are different in our world, so they can't access their true powers. It's a miracle Cosmog was able to exist the way it did at all. We are trying to access the power of another world, when really the power of another world is no different from our world as long as the rules aren't being bent, which they may very well be just by the existence of these 7 Ultra Beasts in our world.

Makes me wonder, would our own pokemon, Lucario, Charizard, Hydregion, all them... would they be considered Ultra Beasts in their world? How would their stats vary from the original?

Oh, but then Necrozma. It's probably the Arceus of Ultra Space, if anything. Or better yet, it's the "Light" version of a Legendary Duo that's been lost in our world. It isn't even that high as a god, but in our world it is on the level of our gods. And the big question for me, have WE lost a pokemon to being stuck in the Ultra Space?

In summary aka tl;dr, Ultra Beasts are normal pokemon, but their powers are completely out of whack in our world. Also some nonsense about our Legendary Pokemon. Ironically, Pheromosa and Kartana are probably the early game bug and grass types of the Ultra Space. Considering they are arguably the strongest Ultra Beasts... what a cruel twist of fate.

I wonder how late I am to the party of knowing this? I expect no less than 3 "Yeah, we knew that before the game was released" responses.

My impression is that the Pokémon of the normal worldcome off as being exactly the same in battle as Pokémon of Ultra Space, considering that your Pokémon don't change a bit when you engage in battle in Ultra Space. Some of them get stat boosts by being there, like your adversary's though. Hence, I think the Ultra Beasts really are just that strong. It's a common trope in video games, where whatever world is the default one is actually the weaker or weakest one, though in most other games, that's used to show just how skilled and strong the hero is, that they come from the "weak" world and can mow through threats in the strong ones.

By the way, there are a few things in the game that suggest Xurkitree is basically just a mobile tree in Ultra Space, which gains energy through electricity rather than photosynthesis. They're also about the size of a tree. Makes me wonder if there are forests full of Xurkitrees in Ultra Space.

Something I'd like to see is further exploration of Ultra Space. We only see one corridor and a dead end in Sun & Moon. I'd like to see a full area with Ultra Beasts as wild Pokémon. Maybe they can't be caught, or they can't be caught easily, but you'd encounter Nihilegos and Kartanas like you would roaming through grass in the normal world.

Orphalesion

Something I'd like to see is further exploration of Ultra Space. We only see one corridor and a dead end in Sun & Moon. I'd like to see a full area with Ultra Beasts as wild Pokémon. Maybe they can't be caught, or they can't be caught easily, but you'd encounter Nihilegos and Kartanas like you would roaming through grass in the normal world.

I'd love to visit Ultra Space like that. Almost all Ultra Beast we have seen so far appear to be "regular Pokemon" for their world, with multiple numbers of them stalking/floating about. I'd also find it interesting to perhaps encounter some weaker Ultrabeasts (like, is there an Ultra Space Equivalent of the regional rodent and regional bird?) or Ultra Beasts (other than Cosmog) that are capable of evolving.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Anyone know a good nature for Guzzlord (or at least know which natures are the most popular)? I know it's Attack stat is higher but I think Draco Meteor hits harder and I was thinking Quiet could be another option to look into.

Yes, I know Guzzlord isn't exactly the threat that it appears to be but still.

BlazingRagnarok

Anyone know a good nature for Guzzlord (or at least know which natures are the most popular)? I know it's Attack stat is higher but I think Draco Meteor hits harder and I was thinking Quiet could be another option to look into.

Well, a mixed Guzzlord is one way to go with it. To back up its offensive stats, which are acceptable for UU despite being the worst of the UBs, Guzzlord has a good physical movepool and a usable special one. Quiet would be good with trick room support, especially if you want to run physical moves for coverage and taking out special walls.

Alternately, you could try to get the most out of Guzzlord's HP stat with the best Zygarde-C impression it can muster. With either a Relaxed or Sassy nature, Guzzlord can pump up its defenses with stockpile while restoring its HP with either swallow or rest-talk. It doesn't get Zygarde's great stat-boosting moves, but Guzzlord does get a healing option that allows it to use 2 attacking moves. While it's generally worse than Zygarde, Guzzlord can take solace in not being in the same tier as its almost certainly Uber-bound rival.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

If it helps any, I chose Brave for mine. I had already gathered up a bunch of Synchronize Pokémon, but I spent a bit of time deciding. The idea is that, while I'd be wasting its Special Attack, I've got a lot more choices on the physical end, and that's the stat that will increase with Beast Boost. (Though if you go with a +Special Attack or prioritize Effort Points on Special Attack, that's the stat that will rise.)

By the way, something you might notice about Guzzlord: It has Stockpile and Swallow, but not Spit Up. This goes right in line with its concept of a complete glutton: It never expels anything it's eaten.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Been doing some play testing with Kartana and Buzzwole lately.

I underestimated the former greatly. Hits like a truck and has extremely solid coverage. Only real problem is he's a one trick pony with only maybe 2 viable sets (as everything else is basically a gimmick) but he's good.

Buzzwole is pretty disappointing in standard play(if Pheromosa weren't so ungodly busted he might had a chance), but his natural bulk, the Leech Life buff will make it really good for lower tiers.

So basically Celesteela,Kartana,Pheromosa (for however long she lasts) and to a lesser degree Xurkitree and Nihilego are the ones worth noting.

Poor joke of a beast Guzzlord.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Buzzwole's pretty good as a bulky physical attacker, especially since they gave it Roost. The only one that really seems unimpressive is Guzzlord since its high HP is betrayed by it's terrible defenses.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Also, if you can KO a Pokémon with Fell Stinger using Buzzwole, it will pretty much one-hit KO anything slower than it, as its Attack will rise 3 stages due to Fell Stinger's effect and 1 more stage due to Beast Boost.

Unlike with Pheromosa, Buzzwole's usefulness is not immediately obvious. I've learned, over the years, to never brush a Pokémon off as worthless, as you never know what people will discover in the future.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I might go as far as to say the UBs are one of my favourite aspects of gen 7 now. The fact that they're so bizarre is part of their appeal to me.

I think Ultra Beasts are my favourite new concept from Sun and Moon as well hee hee. I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of them when I first saw them cuz I didn't know if they were actual pokemon, but now that I know that they are I appreciate their strangeness, plus the whole Ultra Wormhole concept is intriguing. :3

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My headcanon is that Necrozma is UB-00, and the most important Ultra Beast.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
My headcanon is that Necrozma is UB-00, and the most important Ultra Beast.

Your of course welcome to have your own headcanons, but it is worth pointing out the fact that the Beast Ball does not work on Necrozma, which, as far as we currently know, confirms that Necrozma is not an Ultra Beast. I suppose it is possible though that whatever game comes next will give an explanation for this.

Akashin

Your of course welcome to have your own headcanons, but it is worth pointing out the fact that the Beast Ball does not work on Necrozma, which, as far as we currently know, confirms that Necrozma is not an Ultra Beast. I suppose it is possible though that whatever game comes next will give an explanation for this.

It doesn't work on Solgaleo or Lunala, both of whom we do know are Ultra Beasts. If I had to guess, I'd say the three of them fall into a position where they're Ultra Beasts by lore, but not by internal coding.

That being said, I doubt Necrozma is UB-00. UB-0X is a human-given designation, and I doubt they've given one to Necrozma.

Status
Not open for further replies.