• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
It doesn't work on Solgaleo or Lunala, both of whom we do know are Ultra Beasts. If I had to guess, I'd say the three of them fall into a position where they're Ultra Beasts by lore, but not by internal coding.

That being said, I doubt Necrozma is UB-00. UB-0X is a human-given designation, and I doubt they've given one to Necrozma.

The way I see it is that the Solgaleo/Lunala lineages plus Necrozma ARE Ultra Beasts- but they have existed for so long in this world that they have adapted and evolved to the Normal world/dimensions environment. The library books you can read on the legendary beasts in Malie mention a war that occurs between and pokemon described as the two beasts AND Necrozma.
Initially it describes the mascot- but then on the third page of the book on the table it says this:

"Then did the beast that brings the dark,
Cast it's pall on the line of Kings.
So would the beast that had won
mark the path for all such finished things."

The keyword 'Pall' is a term for a shroud or funeral veil over a tomb/coffin. Matches nicely to Necrozma's apparent name. Both Lunala and Solgaleo were described as "emissaries of light" in the prerelease info as well- cosmog is also noted to absorb light for apparant sustenance as well. Which makes me think that Solgaleo and Lunala's purpose is to actually collect light from this world and deliver it to Ultra Space in order to sustain some or all of it's inhabitants there. Particalarly Necrozma- being the Prism Pokemon.

For the war that occured in the stories- I think the truth to it hasn't been explained yet- in that Necrozma may have intended to wipe out life after emerging from it's original wormhole (due to it's vicious disposition mentioned) by devouring the light of this world. The texts in the library state that the beasts of the Sun and Moon battled the tapus's to a standstill, before bestowing with powers untold- which makes me theorize that the Cosmogs/Solgaleo/Lunala's of the time took pity on life on this world after Necrozma's arrival- and actually helped pokemon and humanity to either A) Defeat Necrozma or B) Rekindle Light to sustain life after Necrozma's attack. Both could be possible. As the text's on the library shelves aren't exactly clear on the gifts that the Light Beasts bestowed upon humanity.

I think Solgaleo/Lunala are imagined to have stay present in this world following that war- adapting slowly and explaining the lack of effectiveness of the Beast Ball. Same goes for Necrozma- it it was defeated and lay dormant on this planet I assume it's body/energy would have adapted to the "Real World" and lost much of it's affinity to Ultra Space

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It doesn't work on Solgaleo or Lunala, both of whom we do know are Ultra Beasts. If I had to guess, I'd say the three of them fall into a position where they're Ultra Beasts by lore, but not by internal coding.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What if Nihilego is basically the Tentacool of Ultra Space? Both are relatively common in their home universe(they're all over the place in Ultra Space), both are jellyfish with a Poison typing. It comes off as odd because Ultra Beasts are normal Pokemon on steroids

Aetius

What if Nihilego is basically the Tentacool of Ultra Space? Both are relatively common in their home universe(they're all over the place in Ultra Space), both are jellyfish with a Poison typing. It comes off as odd because Ultra Beasts are normal Pokemon on steroids

I do not think that UBs are counterparts to the Pokèmon who live on Pokèarth...
We could say that they evolved differently thanks to the large quantity of Z-Power in the Ultra Space, making them a little bit stronger than normal Pokèmon. :D

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I do not think that UBs are counterparts to the Pokèmon who live on Pokèarth...
We could say that they evolved differently thanks to the large quantity of Z-Power in the Ultra Space, making them a little bit stronger than normal Pokèmon. :D

More like equivalent. Like Tentacool, Nihilego is everywhere in Ultra Space and is Poison type

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've noted that UB-01 and UB-02 are based off living creatures, while UB-03 and UB-04 are based on artificial constructs. I'm wondering why they decided to do it like that. Escalating strangeness, maybe?

Sponge

I think it's the other way around, that the access of Ultra Space from Alola is why Z-Powers can be used there.

My impression is that the Pokémon of the normal worldcome off as being exactly the same in battle as Pokémon of Ultra Space, considering that your Pokémon don't change a bit when you engage in battle in Ultra Space. Some of them get stat boosts by being there, like your adversary's though. Hence, I think the Ultra Beasts really are just that strong. It's a common trope in video games, where whatever world is the default one is actually the weaker or weakest one, though in most other games, that's used to show just how skilled and strong the hero is, that they come from the "weak" world and can mow through threats in the strong ones.

By the way, there are a few things in the game that suggest Xurkitree is basically just a mobile tree in Ultra Space, which gains energy through electricity rather than photosynthesis. They're also about the size of a tree. Makes me wonder if there are forests full of Xurkitrees in Ultra Space.

Something I'd like to see is further exploration of Ultra Space. We only see one corridor and a dead end in Sun & Moon. I'd like to see a full area with Ultra Beasts as wild Pokémon. Maybe they can't be caught, or they can't be caught easily, but you'd encounter Nihilegos and Kartanas like you would roaming through grass in the normal world.

I don't really see what would be so bad about allowing us to catch Ultra Beasts more freely in a future game. I mean they have base stat totals of 570 don't they? That's less than pseudo legendaries. We also know that there are multiples of them canonically, unlike the Tapus or even Type:Null/Silvally. (of which there's only supposed to be a handful of)

Also I could see them introducing pre-evolutions for them in a future game and state something like "They can't breed in our world but they can breed in Ultra Space". Personally I'd prefer the Ultra Beasts if they were more like really weird regular Pokemon than really weird "special" Pokemon.

In the next gen I'd love to be able to return to Ultra Space and explore it more....and have there be "regular" beasts that you can catch and evolve.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't really see what would be so bad about allowing us to catch Ultra Beasts more freely in a future game. I mean they have base stat totals of 570 don't they? That's less than pseudo legendaries. We also know that there are multiples of them canonically, unlike the Tapus or even Type:Null/Silvally. (of which there's only supposed to be a handful of)

I think the problem is that they'd have to come up with an excuse for them to come out of Ultra Space every time, and that would seem forced.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I've noted that UB-01 and UB-02 are based off living creatures, while UB-03 and UB-04 are based on artificial constructs. I'm wondering why they decided to do it like that. Escalating strangeness, maybe?

But then UB-05 is an organic creature again. So I don't know if that makes sense.

Even then, I'd argue the UB-04s are more hybrids. While they are based on a rocket and a sword respectively, they also have plant features, and plants are technically living things. One is bamboo, the other is paper (paper comes from wood, and wood comes from trees).

I think the problem is that they'd have to come up with an excuse for them to come out of Ultra Space every time, and that would seem forced.

This is a good point, and it makes me wonder how they will be handled in the future.

If the UBs were a Sun/Moon only thing, then there wouldn't be many issues. But the fact you can deposit them in Bank and they have national dex numbers means they're here to stay, which means they'll more than likely usable in all future games. Since these Pokémon aren't from this world, it would be a nightmare to explain how they got to this world every time.

This is why I'd like to see it be explored more, because having them randomly show up somewhere in a future title would be weirder than the beasts themselves.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
But then UB-05 is an organic creature again. So I don't know if that makes sense.

I didn't think it was based off a living creature. Certainly doesn't look like any natural creature. Seemed more like a monster or black hole

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

Xurkitree is a plant-like being though, so it, too, is still based on a living thing. Celesteela is based on a character in a folktale (Princess Kaguya), and Kartana resembles a samurai. SO I think all of the Ultra Beasts have some organic basis to them.

This is a good point, and it makes me wonder how they will be handled in the future.

If the UBs were a Sun/Moon only thing, then there wouldn't be many issues. But the fact you can deposit them in Bank and they have national dex numbers means they're here to stay, which means they'll more than likely usable in all future games. Since these Pokémon aren't from this world, it would be a nightmare to explain how they got to this world every time.

This is why I'd like to see it be explored more, because having them randomly show up somewhere in a future title would be weirder than the beasts themselves.

Well, what I had in mind is that a chance to capture an Ultra Beast is a special and very rare occasion (as is shown by how the Aether Foundation expended huge monetary resources to engineer Beast Balls, then produce them in enough quantities to be practical). I mean, Latias and Latios are supposedly numerous enough to travel in flocks, but you never find a place where they're roaming around in the wild and you can freely catch them.

As for Ultra Beasts appearing in future games, it's not like Alola's the only place where Ultra Wormholes can be found. I'm expecting to see either a continuation of the Ultra Beasts story (as it's clearly incomplete in Sun and Moon), or some timeskip to where accessto Ultra Space or Ultra Beast sightings become routine, with additional species discovered, starting with "UB-06." Heck, I'll bet a future Frontier Brain (or the equivalent) will use one.

I didn't think it was based off a living creature. Certainly doesn't look like any natural creature. Seemed more like a monster or black hole

It clearly isn't mechanical or otherwise synthetic in appearance, but based on mythical and otherwise fictional creatures, a common theme among Dark-types and Dragon-types, which I would categorize under "organic." One thing it may be based on, I suspect, is a Langolier. It is a creature invented by Stephen King that, like Guzzlord, is round, mostly mouth, and exists solely to eat everything it sees without leaving any waste behind. (For that reason, I named my Guzzlord "Toomy.")

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Here's how I saw the theming:
* UB-01 and UB-02: Based on real life creatures
* UB-03 and UB-04: Based on inanimate things
* UB-05: Based on mythical creatures/monsters.

UB-05/Guzzlord is implied to be the boss of the other UBs, seeing as how its the last, most ferocious and highest level. I think that it was the main force behind the UBs in the past escaping into our universe. Its motive was because there were a lot of resources in the main reality it wanted, and it is basically gluttony

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Guzzlord looks like it could've been the portal the other UBs used to get into Alola.

that'd be cool if it ate pokemon/UB's to send them to the other dimension, but most likely it actually eats them and turns them into total energy.

TC GAMING

Pokemon Master
that would be pretty weird tho cause you could store like 100 pokemon in a different universe in 1 pokemon/pokeball then turn all of them into energy or turn energy into pokemon so u could have guzzlord be like lvl 1 billion or have like a billion pokemon but guzzlord be able to do nothing XD

Last edited:

TC GAMING

Pokemon Master
so if someone wanted to fight u cause u only had one pokemon then youd bring out your army XD then just be like "what was that bout u bragging cause it was 6 pokemon v 1 pokemon, bro get outta here now its 6 v 1 billion HA"

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Gen IV is about Cyrus missing with the fabric of space and time, that could easily be used to explain how things came out of Ultra Space

Status
Not open for further replies.