• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ultra Beasts aren't Pokemon?

I think they are Pokémon as well. When you look at the description of Type: Null at the official site, it says this: "This Pokémon wearing a mask has been dubbed “Null,” meaning nothing.

The shapes of its front and hind legs are clearly different. The reason is that Type: Null was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation.

The mask fitted to Type: Null’s head is a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It’s extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null’s agility.

To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology."

They are referring to it as a Pokémon and also hint at it that it is man-made or somehow artificially crafted.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I think they are Pokémon as well. When you look at the description of Type: Null at the official site, it says this: "This Pokémon wearing a mask has been dubbed “Null,” meaning nothing.

The shapes of its front and hind legs are clearly different. The reason is that Type: Null was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation.

The mask fitted to Type: Null’s head is a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It’s extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null’s agility.

To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology."

They are referring to it as a Pokémon and also hint at it that it is man-made or somehow artificially crafted.

Type: Null isn't an Ultra Beast, though.

BlitzGirl41

So...the one "Ultra Beast" they reveal looks like a jellyfish. And they are saying it's not a Pokemon? But...Pokemon are based on animals, and that UB-01 looks just like a jellyfish. And there have been far weirder mythics/legendaries that did not look like Pokemon (I'm looking at you, Zygarde, ugh) but are called Pokemon...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I just hope they aren't actual Pokemon. The concept sounds silly and the design doesn't even resemble a Pokemon at all. I hope they're like those Shadow Demons in Super Mystery Dungeon or the BW Studio Pokemon, you fight them but they aren't real Pokemon.

Aetius

The introduction of these Ultra Beasts, makes me even more excited for these games honestly!
Lillie isn't an UB, for the simple fact that it wouldn't make sense whatsoever.
However, I'm sure, like many others here on Serebii, that there's a connection between the two of them (considering the resemblance), hence the "important role" mentioned in Lillie's bio.
Anyway, yeah, these UB look like aliens or monsters from another dimension. XD
I wonder if they've been created by the Aether foundation or they existed since the beginning.
Can't wait to find out!

I don't think all Ultra Beasts are Legendary. They're a group of alien Pokémons. But I think they have a boss, a very POWERFUL boss. I'm sure that that boss is a legendary. Maybe it's the third of Trio: Marshadow

Raging Ghost

Red Dragon Archfiend
The Aether Foundation is said to do research on them. People said Lillie is UB-01.

...well, UB-01 is probably spying on Kukui for the Aether Foundation using the Lillie guise or something.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well we know that humans evolved from Pokemon so maybe ultra beasts are also descendants of Pokemon. I want them to be similar to shadow Pokemon in that they resist all Pokemon moves and are supereffective against all Pokemon. Also they should be non-catchable IMO.

I would be very much displeased if they are catchable.

I'd still prefer if legendaries weren't catchable. Powerful forces should not be able to be confined inside a man-made contraption.

Dragon Pulse

I don't understand why people think Lillie is UB-01. She's more like the sister of Gladion where she tries to save him from going corrupted.
It's more believable that Lillie used to play with UB-01 when she was younger where UB-01 would then imitate Lillie's movements after it adored her.

Not only that but the description of UB-01 says: "no one knows whether it has a will of its own or any emotions."

Lillie's description: "Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon."
Lillie's introduction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_ewEyWTLc

You can see in the preview video of Lillie that she has emotions since she was seen smiling and acting shy in front of the player. Her description also says that she is the assistant of professor Kukui and loves to read. That means she has a will of her own.
Lastly, isn't she a rival of the main character and has her own starter Pokemon? So does that mean that an Ultra Beast can have their own Pokemon as well?

As much as I agree with you, it says: "no one knows if it has a will of its own or any emotions." That means UB-01 could have emotions, and if UB-01 is Lillie, then it certainly can.

Gizmoa

Do you think these may be related to the ghost girls we have seen in games past? I kind of fancy a tie in with the weird ghost girl events that have been going on forever in pokemon... it would be nice for that to go somewhere.

It could be that UB combine to form a pokemon, but do not count as pokemon when initially encountered, much like the zygard cells work.

It could also be that they do count as pokemon, and they just were left off the pokemon list for drama.

I can also see them being similar to the deal with cubone's mother's ghost as viewed without a sylph scope sort of deal. IE they are formless or shape shift into various pokemon and attack you until you get some device that shows their true form and then you can capture them(assuming the true form isn't a human or spirit).

It seems like man messing with nature is the major theme this gen with mechanical artificial pokemon, chimeras, artificial islands and pokemon habitats etc etc.

I also noticed they slipped up and used 2 different ultra beast art samples in the video, and then a third on the main website that matches the animated portion of the video (so they did have concept/box art of the animated one, yet used a different one next to it as still art). I'm not sure if it is just UB-01 shape shifting, or if they showed us a second UB.

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
The introduction of these Ultra Beasts, makes me even more excited for these games honestly!
Lillie isn't an UB, for the simple fact that it wouldn't make sense whatsoever.
However, I'm sure, like many others here on Serebii, that there's a connection between the two of them (considering the resemblance), hence the "important role" mentioned in Lillie's bio.
Anyway, yeah, these UB look like aliens or monsters from another dimension. XD
I wonder if they've been created by the Aether foundation or they existed since the beginning.
Can't wait to find out!

My thought is that Lillie used to work for or was a part of the Aether Foundation and they did experiments on her. UB-01 was created by The Aether Foundation using the DNA of pokemon and Lillie. Lillie finally left the foundation and went into hiding on the first island

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I want to withhold judgement until we know everything about them, but my initial thoughts:

Why? Like honestly why? I get wanting to spice up the game but putting in something that potentially isn't a pokemon and isn't catchable and then having MULTIPLE (as the site said) of them in the game just seems like a waste of time and energy to me. Poke Studios opponents were fine because of the way they were handled, but these kinda just seem...weird. Today's entire reveal was strange.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I don't think all Ultra Beasts are Legendary. They're a group of alien Pokémons. But I think they have a boss, a very POWERFUL boss. I'm sure that that boss is a legendary. Maybe it's the third of Trio: Marshadow

Going off of this, Maybe UB-01 is the mutated form of Lillie, with whatever makes these Ultra Beats mixing with Lillie/Lillie's DNA. So the maybe, Marshadow (or another powerful legendary) is the Ultra Beast "stuff" mixing with a pokemon, hence why it'd be catchable and stuff.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I don't think all Ultra Beasts are Legendary. They're a group of alien Pokémons.
We've had alien pokemon before, and they still have conventional names, typings and abilities. These things are more likely from another dimension rather than outer space.

I would be very much displeased if they are catchable.

I'd still prefer if legendaries weren't catchable. Powerful forces should not be able to be confined inside a man-made contraption.
By that logic the many non-legendaries that approach legendaries in power shouldn't be catchable either, not to mention the legendaries that according to their lore function like regular pokemon and simply can't be bred in-game (i.e. Latios and Latias, Manaphy and so on).

Ghetsis was a monster, but he made a good point that even if a pokemon is regarded as a deity/legend it is still ultimately a pokemon.

Lastly, its questionable how "confined" pokemon really are by poke balls. In the anime at least pokemon only stay in their balls by choice, even the weakest ones can leave them on their own if they want to.

MysteryInc

UB-01 and Lillie are very similar in resemblance. It is already theorised that Lillie is UB-01, and this theory is supported by the fact that the official Sun/Moon site states that UB-01 can change shape, implying the possibility of it changing into human form, it also states that “its movements resemble those of a young girl”. The word “mysterious” is also used to describe both Lille and UB-01.

Lillie, Lusamine, and Gladion all look similar in appearance. They share similar features, particularly blonde hair and green eyes. It is plausible that they are related.

Assuming that Lillie is an ultra-beast, and all three are related, it is plausible that they are also ultra-beasts. It has been confirmed that multiple ultra-beasts exists, since the English trailer says “Ultra-beasts” rather than using the singular form.

The description of UB-01 says “it’s constantly changing shape”. This would imply that it is difficult for the ultra-beasts to retain a single form, such as that of a human. In the footage of Gladion his hand is constantly twitching, which could possibly be due to his difficulty retaining his human form.

The three also have similar opinions regarding Pokémon battling. In the description of Lillie on the official Sun/Moon site says “She’s not fond of making Pokémon fight in battle”, suggesting she does not like to see Pokémon harmed. Lusamine shares this interest in protecting Pokémon as she is the president of the Aether foundation, which is designed to protect Pokémon. Lusamine also states “I will be like a mother to all of these poor Pokémon” again illustrating her caring for Pokémon wellbeing.

While Gladion seems to be less inclined to protect Pokémon as he is a member of team skull he still hints toward caring for Pokémon by saying “You’ll just get your Pokémon hurt for no reason”. Gladion also uses Type: Null, which is a synthetic Pokémon. The use of a synthetic Pokémon could be in part due to his not wanting to hurt a real Pokémon when he battles.

The origin of the ultra-beasts is unclear, but it is possible they may have extra-terrestrial or extra dimensional origin. The wormhole that UB-01 emerges through suggests this. Lusamine also says “Even Pokémon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region are worthy of my love”, which could merely be referring to other regions, but the choice of words is suspicious.

The proposed theory is that, given this evidence, it is plausible that Lillie, Lusamine, and Gladion are all ultra-beasts, and that the ultra-beasts, being new to our world, and disliking the harm caused by Pokémon battling, have some desire to protect Pokémon.

~ Signed Mystery Incorporated

Aetius

My thought is that Lillie used to work for or was a part of the Aether Foundation and they did experiments on her. UB-01 was created by The Aether Foundation using the DNA of pokemon and Lillie. Lillie finally left the foundation and went into hiding on the first island

Hmm, that sounds too dark, even for Pokèmon...
Then again, Mewtwo was created, so you might be right.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
By that logic the many non-legendaries that approach legendaries in power shouldn't be catchable either, not to mention the legendaries that according to their lore function like regular pokemon and simply can't be bred in-game (i.e. Latios and Latias, Manaphy and so on).

Ghetsis was a monster, but he made a good point that even if a pokemon is regarded as a deity/legend it is still ultimately a pokemon.

Lastly, its questionable how "confined" pokemon really are by poke balls. In the anime at least pokemon only stay in their balls by choice, even the weakest ones can leave them on their own if they want to.

My point is legendaries and any of the like should not be catchable, at least not by force.

For me, it ruins the significance of the pokemon, which serves Ghetsis' point well, much to my dismay. This is why I've stopped catching legendaries (that the game doesn't make me catch) and just resorted to defeating them. It makes more sense to me.

BlitzGirl41

I want to withhold judgement until we know everything about them, but my initial thoughts:

Why? Like honestly why? I get wanting to spice up the game but putting in something that potentially isn't a pokemon and isn't catchable and then having MULTIPLE (as the site said) of them in the game just seems like a waste of time and energy to me. Poke Studios opponents were fine because of the way they were handled, but these kinda just seem...weird. Today's entire reveal was strange.

"Weird" is definitely the key word that sprang to my mind after watching today's video. So many things that just seemed really strange, and not in a good way for me (though Jangmo-o has a cute design. Don't get the name, though, unless it's just transliteration of the Japanese name, or something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.