• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisukereds

What if Ultra Beasts come from an alternate world where Alchemy fused Pokémon and Humans together?

RenanSegretti

Renan Segretti
Ultra beasts
Team Skull
Good guys fundation (forgot the name)
Zygarde
Solgaleo and Lunala
In therms of things relevant for the story, Alola does have a lot of stuff going on!

I hope the gameplay will be longer than the other games

ABC595

I would be very much displeased if they are catchable.

I'd still prefer if legendaries weren't catchable. Powerful forces should not be able to be confined inside a man-made contraption.

Completely agree. I get the reason for legendary Pokemon being catchable because they are still Pokemon but these aren't so shouldn't be.

Anthea

UB-01 and Lillie are very similar in resemblance. It is already theorised that Lillie is UB-01, and this theory is supported by the fact that the official Sun/Moon site states that UB-01 can change shape, implying the possibility of it changing into human form, it also states that “its movements resemble those of a young girl”. The word “mysterious” is also used to describe both Lille and UB-01.

Lillie, Lusamine, and Gladion all look similar in appearance. They share similar features, particularly blonde hair and green eyes. It is plausible that they are related.

Assuming that Lillie is an ultra-beast, and all three are related, it is plausible that they are also ultra-beasts. It has been confirmed that multiple ultra-beasts exists, since the English trailer says “Ultra-beasts” rather than using the singular form.

The description of UB-01 says “it’s constantly changing shape”. This would imply that it is difficult for the ultra-beasts to retain a single form, such as that of a human. In the footage of Gladion his hand is constantly twitching, which could possibly be due to his difficulty retaining his human form.

The three also have similar opinions regarding Pokémon battling. In the description of Lillie on the official Sun/Moon site says “She’s not fond of making Pokémon fight in battle”, suggesting she does not like to see Pokémon harmed. Lusamine shares this interest in protecting Pokémon as she is the president of the Aether foundation, which is designed to protect Pokémon. Lusamine also states “I will be like a mother to all of these poor Pokémon” again illustrating her caring for Pokémon wellbeing.

While Gladion seems to be less inclined to protect Pokémon as he is a member of team skull he still hints toward caring for Pokémon by saying “You’ll just get your Pokémon hurt for no reason”. Gladion also uses Type: Null, which is a synthetic Pokémon. The use of a synthetic Pokémon could be in part due to his not wanting to hurt a real Pokémon when he battles.

The origin of the ultra-beasts is unclear, but it is possible they may have extra-terrestrial or extra dimensional origin. The wormhole that UB-01 emerges through suggests this. Lusamine also says “Even Pokémon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region are worthy of my love”, which could merely be referring to other regions, but the choice of words is suspicious.

The proposed theory is that, given this evidence, it is plausible that Lillie, Lusamine, and Gladion are all ultra-beasts, and that the ultra-beasts, being new to our world, and disliking the harm caused by Pokémon battling, have some desire to protect Pokémon.

~ Signed Mystery Incorporated

Do you think that ultra beasts are legendary Pokemon ? I know we already have the totem legends, but some games have several sets of legendaries

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
So...the one "Ultra Beast" they reveal looks like a jellyfish. And they are saying it's not a Pokemon? But...Pokemon are based on animals, and that UB-01 looks just like a jellyfish. And there have been far weirder mythics/legendaries that did not look like Pokemon (I'm looking at you, Zygarde, ugh) but are called Pokemon...

Well technically we don't know what it normally looks like. Could just be a blob of liquid glass stuff. But it mimics a jellyfish to look like Lillie.

Janovy

Banned
Ultra Beasts are called Ultra Chimeras in French..hmmm

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

.Aerodactyl.

What if Ultra Beasts come from an alternate world where Alchemy fused Pokémon and Humans together?

I feel like the reference to glass is important, just don't know how. Glass is usually associated with being a synthetic made thing, but also occurs naturally. It also is used a lot with light (legendary connection?)

What I wonder is: Do you guys think that all the Ultra Beasts are gonna be variations of UB 01, like jelly-fish like creatures... Or that they will be as crazy diverse as Pokémon themselves? Like maybe canine like ones, and birds, fish, turtles, etc... In some ways I can see both. If they serve as "bosses" I could see getting very diverse looking ultra beasts, especially if they are really just alien Pokémon from across the universe or something. On the other hand, if they are more like interdimensional beings, I could see them all being pretty much jelly-fish with just slight variations between them. I do think their facelessness adds to their mystery, so in that sense, it would be best to keep them like this and not make them so reminiscent of other creatures that are more relatable.

Thoughts?

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Is there any pokemon that doesn't have any sort of eye in their design? I can't currently think of any, but I might just have a bad memory. Because then this Ultra Beast would be the only thing without eyes, which would set it apart if it really isn't an actual pokemon. It's the first thing I noticed about it.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Is there any pokemon that doesn't have any sort of eye in their design? I can't currently think of any, but I might just have a bad memory. Because then this Ultra Beast would be the only thing without eyes, which would set it apart if it really isn't an actual pokemon. It's the first thing I noticed about it.

Well, Deino and Zweilous technically. But I think it's said that they do have eyes, just under their hair.

.Aerodactyl.

No, they aren't the first. Staryu and Starmie are eyeless and faceless Pokémon.

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Well, Deino and Zweilous technically. But I think it's said that they do have eyes, just under their hair.

Huh, That's a good thing to note! I guess zubat technically doesn't have eyes, but it's evolutions do.

Both good points, and even if we don't count the fact their evolutions do have eyes, they still have mouths, while this UB doesn't have any clear face feature which even pokemon based on inanimate objects have had thus far. Maybe since it is said to be able to change its shape, if it later gets revealed to be a pokemon, it could look different and gain eyes or something to make it look more normal.

Edit: I also thought the gems of Staryu and Starmie were supposed to represent an eye but yours is a valid point, mine was just an observation after all

Last edited:

Creyk

No one even questioned that. The fact is that Yo-kai watch had this element and the Pokémon franchise expressed no interest in adding that before Yo-kai watch came, just like they expressed no interest in creating a ghost sidekick that talks to you and guides you throughout your journey before the other franchise became a fever in Japan.

Wait is this true? Are people in Japan shading pokemon for stealing ideas? Are they getting negative PR because of this?

.Aerodactyl.

I always thought the gem was their eye.

I don't think so. They aren't shown to "close" their gem or even change with the sleep status. Plus, as insensitive Ash noted in the first anime "How can you tell it's hurt if it doesn't have a face?" When battling Misty.

Also going by the official info, it's gem seems to be its core. Like a real starfish, it can grow back it's limbs. The core is said to glow fainter when it's weak... definitely don't think it's an eye or even an eye equivalent.

No one even questioned that. The fact is that Yo-kai watch had this element and the Pokémon franchise expressed no interest in adding that before Yo-kai watch came, just like they expressed no interest in creating a ghost sidekick that talks to you and guides you throughout your journey before the other franchise became a fever in Japan.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Yo-Kai watch copied Pokémon first, and to a much larger extent, then the other way around. I mean, Yo-Kai watch is just a spin on the Pokémon model. It's closer to the Japanese heritage, thus it's popularity in Japan. It hasn't taken off in North America quite as well. Yo-Kai watch is literally rubbing around coaching little monsters, evolving and training them and making a team of six to battle and defeat other Yo-Kai. You're a ten yearish old child running around collecting them all and befriending them.

And a following companion is hardly indicative of Yo-Kai watch alone. Pikachu was following long bearenbin yellow,and then in heart gold soul silver we had following companions. And as someone said before, boss battles like that aren't really exclusive or new either. I won't deny that it has elements of similarity, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they had "no interest" in the elemenrs before. For starters, we don't quite know what Ultra Beasts are and how they will function, and secondly, Pokémon has always had boss battles in the form of legendary fights, or Snorlax encounter, ghost marrowak, etc. They were just always catchable, if you put the effort in. That's really a negligible difference, especially since we don't know if these Ultra Beasts will end up being catchable or if we can battle them. Mystery dungeon games also have battles without "captures".

Last edited:

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Maybe that's not an eye but since some of us thought it was, it at least means it can look like one, if you imagine Staryu and Starmie without their core it sure gives off a whole different effect no?
And something just hit me, anyone remembers this?
Uac9BSj.png

We never had something that fits this description, and while UB-01 doesn't look too much like a man, it is at least humanoid, perhaps if all UB's share the faceless design and indeed aren't pokemon... I don't know, but it always felt weird how that scary house in XY seemingly had no purpose, maybe it was a nod to SM like the backpacker from Alola? Wild speculation here, lol.

Last edited:

Cyclone

^ where it all began
It sounds to me like there is a strong Synthetic Pokemon theme happening in Sun & Moon (Magearna & Type Null) so perhaps Ultra Beasts are an extenuation of this idea -- perhaps they were created by people (probably Skull) with super powerful stats/abilities/attacks but lacking any soul or emotions like normal Pokemon?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
It sounds to me like there is a strong Synthetic Pokemon theme happening in Sun & Moon (Magearna & Type Null) so perhaps Ultra Beasts are an extenuation of this idea -- perhaps they were created by people (probably Skull) with super powerful stats/abilities/attacks but lacking any soul or emotions like normal Pokemon?

I don't think Team Skull has the knowledge or resources to make Ultra Beasts. Aether, on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.