• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuoko

You don't necessarily need to be a Pokemon trainer to have a Pokemon, js.

I never said that?

In the E3 Demonstration, they said that Lillie isn't a Pokemon trainer.

https://youtu.be/UC-uLg_5RIA?t=1850 It's said a few seconds after 30:50.

EDIT: Speaking of Ultra Beasts... I'm curious if they'll have their own Pokedex or whatever. Like their own numbering system.

Thepowaofhax

I never said that?

In the E3 Demonstration, they said that Lillie isn't a Pokemon trainer.

https://youtu.be/UC-uLg_5RIA?t=1850 It's said a few seconds after 30:50.
You quoted a post talking about how it would illogical about her being UB-01 due to having Pokemon and being a Pokemon trainer, all you did was say that she wasn't one with no prior citations. Whether or not she is a Pokemon trainer doesn't matter as the point still stands that something such as UB-01 wouldn't be capable of catching Pokemon, nor have Pokemon.

Kingudora

My favourite
Maybe UB 01 just replaces Lillie at some point and then we have to rescue her from the Sunken City of R'lyeh the other dimension where the Ultra Beasts come from.

I just noticed my appreciation for the name "Ultra Beasts" that sounds like something from an old Super Sentai show ^-^
I had a similar thought as well. Maybe Lillie enters a portal to another dimension (perhaps by force from the Aether Foundation), and UB-01 is what 'returned'.

I feel like GF won't go that far, but as of the reveal of Ultra Beasts and Type: Null, I don't know anymore. It is a wild ride til November x_x

Ascended Dialga

I wonder how the player will interact with Ultra Beasts during the game's story? Because they're apparently not Pokémon, I doubt we'll be able to capture them. But fighting against them might be in the realm of possibility. It would be the first time since Black 2 and White 2 that we've gotten to fight things that aren't Pokémon.

.Aerodactyl.

I actually really hope we get to battle these Ultra Beasts, and that they have some crazy pseudo type/stats/mechanics. Maybe they are typeless but have no weaknesses and give stab attacks that aren't resisted... Maybe they don't even have a classic health bar, or else a physical/special split in attack, like some kind of gen 1 alternate being.

I'm also starting to think too though that we may not even battle them, but their power is just "energy" they emit and that some bad guy is gonna wanna capture them to power a doomsday machine, or legendary capture machine or what have you. Thing is, UB 01 on its own really doesn't look threatening, it even mimics a little girl. So I don't think there's anything inherently dangerous about them, I think it's going to be either just their existence that's dangerous (their very existence tearing apart space time) or else they are just misunderstanding and trying to give "hugs" but are really crushing people (*cough* BEWEAR THE ULTRA BEASTS *cough*)

Ascended Dialga

I actually really hope we get to battle these Ultra Beasts, and that they have some crazy pseudo type/stats/mechanics. Maybe they are typeless but have no weaknesses and give stab attacks that aren't resisted... Maybe they don't even have a classic health bar, or else a physical/special split in attack, like some kind of gen 1 alternate being.

I would like this very much, thank you! It would really be a breath of fresh air for Pokémon battles.

Orphalesion

It is not listed as a pokemon on the sun and moon website. They are under the "Alola Region" tab. It seems that they are NOT pokemon, which is a disturbing thought in a universe where even extraterrestial space viri are considered pokemon. So the Ultra Beasts seems to be the eldritch horros of the pokemon universe.

Yeah I dunno if they'd allow a child character to be merged with/consumed by an Ultra Beast or anything like that. I could see that happening to a character like Cyrus or Lysandre though in a "destroyed by their own hubris" kind of way.

There are so many possibilities with the Ultra Beasts ^-^

Galvantulaman

I don't know if it has been saud but here it goes....

What if these UltraBeast is the synchro we've been talking about for so long. We have just seen as it comes out of some sort of "portal". This could actually be the pokemon taking the form of a trainer it has bonded with (not necessarily owned by). This could be a tentacool or some new pokemon getting some characteristics of Lilly (or whatever she's called).

As they are rather new, people in alola dont know how to take it.

unownzone

* Why I think UB-01 isn't Lillie*

First, the description of Ultra Beasts and UB-01 tell us it can't possibly be or even act like a human.
"While evidence of something like a survival instinct can be observed in UB-01, no one knows whether it has a will of its own or any emotions"
On the contrary, Lillie is a human with her own will and can clearly feel emotions.
"she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books."
Also, "UB-01’s body is composed of a glass-like substance. However, it’s constantly changing shapes, never settling on one." We can see that it mimics Lillie's appearance, but this shows that it could have never settled on a form that completely resembled her.

Second, there's common sense. If there's supposed to be a mastermind plot where Lillie turns out to be this mysterious creature called UB-01 in disguise, the developers wouldn't make it look that obvious in the trailer. There's obviously a reason why UB-01 acts like Lillie, but not because they're the same being.

So here's my theory. I say Lillie is related to the Aether foundation's Lusamine and was part of an Aether experiment that had to do with Ultra Beasts. The result of that experiment, UB-01, is now connected to Lillie some way. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, UB-01 has clearly seen Lillie at least once. Amorphous beings like UB-01 tend to take shape of what they see and like, kinda like the common ditto, or Latias from Pokemon Heroes. Maybe Lillie and UB-01's relationship is like that of Tory and the Deoxys's energy form from in Destiny Deoxys. It's all speculation at this point, so anything's possible, except that UB-01 is Lillie.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Ultra beasts are basically what legendaries would realistically be then, uncatchable mysterious beings that exist purely for lore. It's different. I'm not really sure if I like it, but I can appreciate variety.

Pilpulp

美的
I'm cool with the Ultra Beast concept however I don't like how they're taking the surprise out of the game.

I wish I hadn't seen the scene in the Japanese trailer with the Ultra Beast coming out of the portal. Isn't that a major plot point??? Why are they showing these things in the trailers?

Furthermore, UB-01 is so clearly Lillie. Why'd they ruin that surprise too.

Orphalesion

"she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books."

Well why do you think she works with a professor and reads so much? Because she is an inhuman alien horror in disguise who needs to learn as much as it can about humans and their society in order to blend in *x-files music starts playing*

And well...can we be sure Lillie has emotions and is not just imitating them? *more x-files music*

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I have something in mind that could become an interesting plot.

The Aether Foundation's experiments with pokemon, magic, and science ended up creating dangerous creatures that nearly escaped the lab. Before they could, the foundation banished them using the same technology the Devon Corporation used in attempt to warp the meteor away to banish these creatures to another universe. Present day, corruption in the ranks of the foundation and interference from Team Skull is unleashing them again.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm cool with the Ultra Beast concept however I don't like how they're taking the surprise out of the game.

I wish I hadn't seen the scene in the Japanese trailer with the Ultra Beast coming out of the portal. Isn't that a major plot point??? Why are they showing these things in the trailers?

Furthermore, UB-01 is so clearly Lillie. Why'd they ruin that surprise too.
It isn't confirmed UB-01 is Lillie. Yes, it looks a LOT like her, but that could be for another reason.

Also, it probably is a major plot point, but it's not like they haven't shown things like these before.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Anyone else think this and this sound a little similar?

Problem with this, however, is that Minior actually sounds more like the cry from Lillie's bag much more...

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Not sure if this is the specific source people are referring to, but go to the 31 minute mark in the E3 video. https://youtu.be/UC-uLg_5RIA

I appreciate you giving me this link but it doesn't really explain much.
It only shows that Lillie watches the battle. She might get a Pokemon later on.

The thing inside her bag though maybe a Pokemon which brings up the relation between Ultra Beasts and Pokemon. It sounds like UB are a threat to Pokemon so her having one sounds contradicting. Unless she's a peaceful type.

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.