• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So the ultra beast is in the aether labs

Seems like it use used by the aether team.
Probably to fight team skull
I'm not aware of any reason we have yet to believe Aether controls any of the UBs, only that they are researching them.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm pretty much in the camp that these things will be non-Pokemon bosses. There's some precedence for this in spinoff games (PMD3 had you facing up against the Bittercold, a manifestation of the world's hate and strife, and PSMD's primary antagonist was Dark Matter... Which was basically the Bittercold V2...), and this fixes one of the major problems with adding a sort of boss mechanic to Pokemon games in that it would be rather overpowered if they could be caught. While this isn't exactly the way I saw it being done I'm not entirely against it and I'll wait and see what it looks like upon release.

I'm almost certain these will not be catchable Pokemon. If they were there would be no reason to rename them and label them "a threat to humanity and Pokemon" or anything, unless it's some kind of marketing gimmick.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I may have missed it in the info reveal. But where is it stated that it comes from a portal?

The problem is another planet/universe theory should still make it a pokemon such as the likes of Giratina and Deoxys. Plus a lot of pokemon species already push the envelope for the definition of life. Something in it's origin and composition must make it fundamentally different from anything we've seen or considered in Pokemon before.

Does anyone with knowledge of Japanese language/naming conventions know why the name "Ultra Beast" is being used here? I'm not sure if something is maybe being lost in translation

Deoxys initially wasn't a Pokemon. It was a virus, but was mutated into a Pokemon. Pokemon life could very well originate from a non-Pokemon breed of life, like how humans in the Pokemon series are implied to be former Pokemon. Perhaps the true purpose of Mew is to shape life in Arceus' image, aka Pokemon. And Giratina's state as Pokemon may come from its means of creation; it is a direct spawn of Arceus.

Ultra Beasts is a new thing, so going back to old Pokemon and saying "if Giratina/Deoxys/Porygon/anything is a Pokemon, so should Ultra Beasts be" I find to be irrevelant, as they can essentially make Ultra Beasts what they want to even if they will share the same background or other similarities as some existing Pokemon. I personally think they are battlable but not obtainable, but we'll see.

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
I don't buy that Lillie is a UB-01 quite yet. Right now I'm theorizing that Lillie was the first person to meet UB-01s, she befriended them to the point where they took a similar form as her, and then Aether started capturing them, but Lillie was able to secure one in her bag.

Or you know, UB-01 is a Lillie synchro evolution like Ash-Greninja, it makes sense you can't catch Ultra Beasts because they are already linked with a different trainer, that way they can act as bosses that can't be catched, have mighty stats and still be linked with the Pokemon lore.

Hauke_von_Arding

Or you know, UB-01 is a Lillie synchro evolution like Ash-Greninja, it makes sense you can't catch Ultra Beasts because they are already linked with a different trainer, that way they can act as bosses that can't be catched, have mighty stats and still be linked with the Pokemon lore.

Ash-Greninja didn't look like Ash. Ash-Greninja did even exist before Ash existed with the exact same appearance. It's just a coincidence that they look similiar.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
I'm 99% sure that Æther (typing it like that because it looks cool) is going to turn out to have a lot to do with the Ultra Beasts: either genetically engineering them or trying to capture them.

.Aerodactyl.

I'm pretty much in the camp that these things will be non-Pokemon bosses. There's some precedence for this in spinoff games (PMD3 had you facing up against the Bittercold, a manifestation of the world's hate and strife, and PSMD's primary antagonist was Dark Matter... Which was basically the Bittercold V2...), and this fixes one of the major problems with adding a sort of boss mechanic to Pokemon games in that it would be rather overpowered if they could be caught. While this isn't exactly the way I saw it being done I'm not entirely against it and I'll wait and see what it looks like upon release.

I'm almost certain these will not be catchable Pokemon. If they were there would be no reason to rename them and label them "a threat to humanity and Pokemon" or anything, unless it's some kind of marketing gimmick.

I kind of agree with this, but also feel like there are a few hitches with this idea. Pokémon always has a strong theme of "friendship", "unity", "embracing differences" and understanding we have different ideas. We have to share this planet together, and we all need eachother, etc. I really can't see Ultra Beasts not some how becoming good in the end to hammer this point home... No matter if they end up being aliens, dimensional beings, legendaries or Pokémon. "Even though they aren't Pokémon, we can learn from Ultra Beasts and them from us! Sharing our knowledge, together, we can make a better future for everyone..." I could even see their powers being related to z-crystals or something. So I couldn't see them staying as creatures solely for boss battles by the end of the game, which begs to question if they will have any future purpose in games.

I mean, even UB-01 is really unthreatening. They don't even know if it has emotions and it literally mimics a little girl...not very scary. I think it's more the idea of them that is scary, fear of the unknown so to speak, and we will realize at the end of the game that we were wrongfully prejudice to them.

I guess this doesn't really answer if they will be captureable or not...but I have a feeling they are likely to be "embraced" as Pokémon in the end. Just my thoughts.

BlitzGirl41

I kind of agree with this, but also feel like there are a few hitches with this idea. Pokémon always has a strong theme of "friendship", "unity", "embracing differences" and understanding we have different ideas. We have to share this planet together, and we all need eachother, etc. I really can't see Ultra Beasts not some how becoming good in the end to hammer this point home... No matter if they end up being aliens, dimensional beings, legendaries or Pokémon. "Even though they aren't Pokémon, we can learn from Ultra Beasts and them from us! Sharing our knowledge, together, we can make a better future for everyone..." I could even see their powers being related to z-crystals or something. So I couldn't see them staying as creatures solely for boss battles by the end of the game, which begs to question if they will have any future purpose in games.

I mean, even UB-01 is really unthreatening. They don't even know if it has emotions and it literally mimics a little girl...not very scary. I think it's more the idea of them that is scary, fear of the unknown so to speak, and we will realize at the end of the game that we were wrongfully prejudice to them.

I guess this doesn't really answer if they will be captureable or not...but I have a feeling they are likely to be "embraced" as Pokémon in the end. Just my thoughts.

That's a good idea (the part I bolded-in). It really does sound like a "you fear what you don't understand" kind of deal and would fit in well with past Pokemon themes.

IF this is something Pokémon is genuinely considering having as an overarching feature for future generations, as opposed to just featuring in Sun and Moon, I think that the smartest way to categorise them - catchable or not - would be to continue with the UB designations and have a section for Ultra Beasts featured right at the bottom of the Pokédex. Distinguishes them from Pokémon and still gives us a reason to battle and beat them - and, perhaps, even seek them out.

edu1987

IF this is something Pokémon is genuinely considering having as an overarching feature for future generations, as opposed to just featuring in Sun and Moon, I think that the smartest way to categorise them - catchable or not - would be to continue with the UB designations and have a section for Ultra Beasts featured right at the bottom of the Pokédex. Distinguishes them from Pokémon and still gives us a reason to battle and beat them - and, perhaps, even seek them out.

I think I'm one of the few that didnt like these new monsters... If they're not catchable then whats the point to appear in a Pokemon game. I played every single game since Red and Blue and I'm hoping that if they arent pokemon this should remain a Sun and Moon only feature.

Hauke_von_Arding

I think I'm one of the few that didnt like these new monsters... If they're not catchable then whats the point to appear in a Pokemon game. I played every single game since Red and Blue and I'm hoping that if they arent pokemon this should remain a Sun and Moon only feature.

You would have a unknown enemy you can't catch. Better than'You fight the God of Space... but you can simply catch them if you want and avoid the battle.'

BlitzGirl41

I also am not liking this idea, especially since the first "beast" we see looks like a normal but large jellyfish. I really won't care, though, if they are not catchable.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

JRPG boses, one of the biggest ridicule Sinnoh got is that a kid was just catching wathever the Sinnoh hillbillies considered a deity instead of them being standard rpg bosses.

BW and B2W2 kinda rectified this, Ghetsis whole deal with a pokemon of legend is still a Pokémon and Black/White Kyurem fight blocking you from catching it are more akin to it and they allow a whole new level of narrative tools to be implemented.

Think of the PokerStar studios scripted battles.

Gizmoa

.Aerodactyl.

Took me a little bit to find the name, but if it hasn't been brought up yet, it looks like UB are based on these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noppera-bō

It's funny, I did a video on "9 theories of what the ultra beasts are" and one of them was that they were ghosts/phantoms, and linked it back to the untilmate weapon and horde of faceless men ghost story in X/Y. Didn't think it had much merit at the time though... Is this the Japan's name or something? Where does the basis come from? I thought the Japanese was also literally "ultra beast"

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Took me a little bit to find the name, but if it hasn't been brought up yet, it looks like UB are based on these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noppera-bō

Interesting as I didn't know it was an actual thing in the Japanese culture, but the horde of faceless men mentioned in XY is what I had immediately thought about when I saw the trailer. If they end up revealing at least another Ultra Beast it'll be way easier to tell.

Edit:
From this very wikipedia page,

Recent reports
Although most tales of noppera-bō predate the 20th century, there are exceptions, both in Japan itself as well as locations where Japanese have emigrated, most notably the U.S. state of Hawaii. Among the most recent reports:

On May 19, 1959, Honolulu Advertiser reporter Bob Krauss reported a sighting of a mujina at the Waialae Drive-In Theatre in Kahala. Krauss reported that the witness watched a woman combing her hair in the women's restroom, and when the witness came close enough, the mujina turned, revealing her featureless face. The witness was reported to have been admitted to the hospital for a nervous breakdown. Noted Hawaiian historian, folklorist and author Glen Grant, in a 1981 radio interview dismissed the story as rumor, only to be called by someone claiming to be the witness, who gave more details on the event, including the previously unreported detail that the mujina in question had red hair.
Grant has also reported on a number of other mujina sightings in Hawaii, from Ewa Beach to Hilo.

Coincidence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.