• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect Zygarde

Why is it when everyone says Pokémon is becoming "bland" and needs new "features", they bring out new features and then everyone suddenly say how it is "too much" and they're "terrible features". Please, give GF a break.

Trust me, Pokemon isn't the only game receiving this sort of treatment. Although in other cases it's been more hostile.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

shadowF

how many ultra beasts do you guys think there are?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think I'm one of the few that didnt like these new monsters... If they're not catchable then whats the point to appear in a Pokemon game. I played every single game since Red and Blue and I'm hoping that if they arent pokemon this should remain a Sun and Moon only feature.

There could be an alternative capture method. Perhaps instead of using Pokeballs, you have to complete certain trials/mystic elements to have them follow you

Orphalesion

I think I'm one of the few that didnt like these new monsters... If they're not catchable then whats the point to appear in a Pokemon game. I played every single game since Red and Blue and I'm hoping that if they arent pokemon this should remain a Sun and Moon only feature.

So? I'm also playing since Red and Blue and have the exact opposite reaction to you. So what does that have to do with anything?

If they aren't catchable (which I hope) they'll serve as an alternative threat to the same old, same old "the Evil Team messes with the box legendary, and now you have to catch it before it destroys the Region/World/Reality Itself" formula they have been milking since Gen 3.
I like the idea of them being something other than pokemon, something perhaps (as of yet) unkowable and uncontrollable.

The Grass Type

I love the idea of adding non-catchable bosses into the pokémon formula. "Boss battles" against legendaries were never that difficult. Capturing them might have been tricky (and very luck based) but beating one legendary with a team of 6 has never presented that much of a challenge. I hope that they go all out with the ultra beasts and make them ridiculously powerful with huge amounts of hit points. The great thing about having them not be catchable (if that is indeed the case) is that there's no need to balance them (or well, at least not in the way a pokémon has to be balanced).

sheld999

i wonder how many UB we will get... i reckon there more than 1

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
There could be an alternative capture method. Perhaps instead of using Pokeballs, you have to complete certain trials/mystic elements to have them follow you

I'm really hoping it is a new method, or they could come up with some new UB-ball that can capture them after you defeat a few and they've been researched. Maybe the more you defeat, the more you learn about them, and after like 40, towards the end of the game, you can catch them.
In either case, I am in complete agreement with everyone welcoming the upgrades to the series. How can people seriously want them to poop out a new game that's essentially the same as the old ones but with new pokemon? I'll always love pokemon, but I personally needed something that will catch me off guard completely in these new games, which XY did not do what so ever. These ultrabeasts do that completely for me. I am on the fence personally if I even want to be able to catch them. Pokemon games have shown that a little kid can master any beast, including gods, so hopefully this brings the games a bit closer to reality (i know it's a game), and have these beasts as something that a ten year old cannot control. Which is just weird now because it compares them to gods then, so honestly it seems like that thing about ten year olds capturing gods can't go away now, so good thing it doesnt actually bother me. I woulnd't mind if the UB's and the legendaries are capturable after all the storyline basically, and that the legendary just teams up with you for the story part.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!

You're not alone, I don't like them either. I don't like UB-01's design and the whole concept of these Ultra Beasts just seems weird to me. Hoping there aren't that many of them as that could mean we get less new Pokemon. I like most of the new changes in SM (Alolan forms, the day/night switch between the 2 versions, the trials instead of Gym battles etc), but this is one change I do not like. Maybe I'll like it better when we have more information on it but for now, it's not for me.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think the issue is defining just what a Pokemon is

roserade the warrior

You know, I have a shrodinger opinion about UBs!? I both like and dislike the concept, and I dont know when I will settle for one xD.
On a serious note.
I like that:
-We may not be able to catch them.
-They are probably very strong.
-The idea is quite creative.
-Nobody "knows much" about them (I guess there are probably a few NPC that know something about them).
I dislike that:
-They may not be catchable.
-Even though the idea seems creative, we still have yet to see how well it is implemented. And I have been disappointed more than once.
-Now we have to deal with the question: "Is it or is it not a pokemon?"; I always imagined humans were pokemon in the poke-universe, but with this it seems clear that is not the case. And that gives us another question: Where do pokemons come from?

For the un/catchable part, I would prefer if they are catchable, but only on certain circunstances. The same applies to legendaries. For example, you have to defeat it at least once, and after that it will be a very hardcore encounter on a certain location, but you can only catch it once(?) I dont know actually, something like that, I dont want to be forced to catch lunala or solgaleo on the first battle (on the other hand, being incapable of catching them in the story, but after the story...), but still being able to catch them after a while (for example, ORAS deoxys, kyogre and groudon, which you can battle again after you defeat them). It would also be awesome if they are on a high level compared to your mons (say, you battle them at level 80, but your mons are at level 50 top).

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
I'm not sure why so many people on this thread are suggesting that Lillie = UB-01. Sure, I can see a slight resemblance, and there is the thing in 01's bio that says that it "moves like a young girl", but I don't think there's a connection. A slight resemblance is never enough for an assumption, and in my mind, that part of its bio actually weakens the theory; Lillie looks to be the same age as or older than the player character, so I think she'd be around 12 to 14, too old to be called "young" in my book.

The broader picture of that theory may not be too far off, though. Ultra Beasts just might be humans with extensive genetic modifications. Who knows?

Of course, everything about these new things is speculation thus far, so I could be totally proven wrong with the next trailer.

Redcoat

Really, really hoping the UBs end up being (some of) the major boss battles in the game. I actually can’t believe half the stuff SM are introducing (like Alola Forms; when I saw these mentioned in a ‘leak’ way back before they were announced, I thought the leak must be fake simply because such an idea would never happen!), but the UBs really take the cake. It’s like SMT or a Lovecraft cross-over or something (in the best possible way)!

I’ll write the rest of this post under the assumption some of the UBs will be encountered as boss battles, so don’t nag at me that it hasn’t been confirmed yet, a’ight?

Some styles of battle I’d like to see:
1. A huge, singular UB you need to fight in Doubles/Triples format. Perhaps one earlier in the game is fought in Doubles, with a final boss/ultimate/optional super-UB fought in Triples format. The idea would be that it is so large and powerful that it’s simply not feasible for one Pokémon to take it down alone.
2. A UB with multiple body parts, functioning more like a swarm battle. I can just see one having lots of tentacles or whatever which function as individual enemies (I know that’s a tired old RPG trope, but pfft)
3. Like the Totem Pokémon, a UB that can either splinter off or summon smaller versions of itself throughout the battle.

Of course you’d likely have some that are essentially just super beefed-up Pokémon and fought one-on-one. Makes me wonder what kinds of Moves or even Abilities UBs would have. Smeargle might have its work cut out for it.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
JRPG boses, one of the biggest ridicule Sinnoh got is that a kid was just catching wathever the Sinnoh hillbillies considered a deity instead of them being standard rpg bosses.

BW and B2W2 kinda rectified this, Ghetsis whole deal with a pokemon of legend is still a Pokémon and Black/White Kyurem fight blocking you from catching it are more akin to it and they allow a whole new level of narrative tools to be implemented.

Think of the PokerStar studios scripted battles.

Personally, I feel no legendary should be catchable in-game unless the story dictates it, and should instead be offered via Mystery Gift.

Besides, I'm ready for some massive good ol' RPG boss battle throw down, and I'm hoping the Totem Pokémon grant this.

Orphalesion

Personally, I feel no legendary should be catchable in-game unless the story dictates it, and should instead be offered via Mystery Gift.

Besides, I'm ready for some massive good ol' RPG boss battle throw down, and I'm hoping the Totem Pokémon grant this.

I agree that catching legendaries should no be mandatory and I'm all hyped for boss battles, but I disagree with the rest of your post.

Mystery Gifts, imho, don't give you the same satisfaction as catching a Pokemon for yourself. And I don't think story should make it mandatory for you to catch a legendary.

Instead legendaries should be found at the end of some huge-***, post-game bonus dungeons which should be hard as hell to get through, making the player earn the pokemon.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Ultra Beasts = Georgio Tsukolos from Ancient Aliens Theories confirmed.

Really, do any of you watch Ancient Aliens on History Channel? That was my initial reaction on these things.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm not sure why so many people on this thread are suggesting that Lillie = UB-01. Sure, I can see a slight resemblance, and there is the thing in 01's bio that says that it "moves like a young girl", but I don't think there's a connection. A slight resemblance is never enough for an assumption, and in my mind, that part of its bio actually weakens the theory; Lillie looks to be the same age as or older than the player character, so I think she'd be around 12 to 14, too old to be called "young" in my book.

The broader picture of that theory may not be too far off, though. Ultra Beasts just might be humans with extensive genetic modifications. Who knows?

Of course, everything about these new things is speculation thus far, so I could be totally proven wrong with the next trailer.
I don't see how you can't see the big resemblances between Lillie and UB-01. Giant sun hat, hair looks nearly exactly the same, and UB-01 even has lily like flowers on its head. And for the most part being 12-14 years old is still fairly young.

Status
Not open for further replies.